hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 112 results in 59 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
The writings of John Greenleaf Whittier, Volume 6. (ed. John Greenleaf Whittier), Old portraits and modern Sketches (search)
Hat-revelations were discountenanced, good order and harmony reestablished, and John Perrott's beaver and the crazy head under it were from thenceforth powerless for evil. Let those who are disposed to laugh at this notable Ecumenical Council of the Hat consider that ecclesiastical history has brought down to us the records of many larger and more imposing convocations, wherein grave bishops and learned fathers took each other by the beard upon matters of far less practical importance. In 1669, we find Ellwood engaged in escorting his fair friend, Gulielma, to her uncle's residence in Sussex. Passing through London, and taking the Tunbridge road, they stopped at Seven Oak to dine. The Duke of York was on the road, with his guards and hangers-on, and the inn was filled with a rude company. Hastening, says Ellwood, from a place where we found nothing but rudeness, the roysterers who swarmed there, besides the damning oaths they belched out against each other, looked very sourly u
, died 16 Aug. 1642; Elizabeth, born 21 Aug. 1644, married Rev. John Quick, of St. Giles, Cripple-Gate, London, England; Mary, born 15 Aug. 1646, or after her father returned to England—of the Parish of Martin's-in-the-Fields, London, spinster, in 1669—married Samuel Annesley, Esq., of Westminster, England—she, Mary Annesley, formerly Mary Cooke, wrote letter to Edward Collins, that she had lately married a younger brother of her mother, Sept. 12, 1681 (court files).—See Paige, 397-98, 513, 623,in West Cambridge, 1839. The mill below the Wear Bridge in the Mystic River on the Menotomy side was embraced in a conveyance by Joseph Prout to Jonathan Dunster, 1710. Edward Collins sold the same in 1660. Collins bought of Thomas Broughton, 1669. See Wyman's Chs., 136, 312; Brooks's Medford, 393, 606. Turning again to Paige, we find that in Nov. 1675, John Adams (a resident of Menotomy) was impressed as a trooper, or cavalry-man (p. 398); on Nov. 26, 1675, Gershom Cutter (brother
her in Northampton. He died 1716, aged 76. He had eight children: viz., Sarah, married to Daniel Hovey; Joanna, to Samuel Porter; Aaron, at Hartford; Westwood, Samuel and Moses, all married at Hadley; Elizabeth, married to Ichabod Smith, and Bridget, married to John Bernard. These all had large families, and all survived my grandfather, except Joanna, who died in 1712, soon after the birth of her eighteenth living child. My grandmother Sarah Cooke died 1730, aged 87. Mr. Westwood died in 1669, and his wife in 1676; the will of each is on record in Hadley, with the inventory of his estate; there is no allusion to any property in England, which must have been sold—and lost, perhaps—before his death. He had no estate in Northampton, and Aaron Cooke, of Hadley, had no estate in Northampton from his own father. His father gave him some estate at Windsor, where he married Sarah Westwood in 1661. Mr. Cooke has arranged the children of his grandfather according to their birth. Sarah ma
south side of Mount Auburn Street, west of the old burying ground. He was for many years a licensed innholder.—Bond. of Watertown, was making ready to come to its relief. He and Captain Lothrop had been sent to Brookfield with their companies, from Boston, August 7th. On the 4th of September, as he drew near the town, still ignorant of the attack that had been made upon it, he was ambushed and himself and twenty of his band of thirty-six men were killed. He was one of four men sent out in 1669 by the General Court to examine this section of country, and was one of the first white men—perhaps the very first—to be buried in its soil. And it is not unlikely that his grave is very near the spot whence he caught a first look of the site of the town. History of Northfield, p. 50 n. John Chinery, John Chinery, admitted Freeman in April 1690, was probably a resident of Waltham at the time of his death, living upon a farm rented by his father. a member of his company, also from Waterto<
t, that it adapts itself to every circumstance which can arise. Its institutions, Chap. XIII.} 1669. if often defective, are always appropriate; for they are the exact representation of the conditihich declared it a base and vile thing to plead for money or reward, could not but Chap. XIII.} 1669. compel the less educated classes to establish between themselves and the nobility the relation oival of the ancient philosophers, to whom the world had erected statues. The constitutions were 1669, July. signed on the twenty-first of July, 1669; and a commission as governor was issued to Willihe authentic record of the legislative history of 1669 North Carolina, begins with the autumn of 1669, Chalmers, 525, 555, from proprietary papers, and therefore the nearest approach to original a have been an earlier assembly. when the legislators of Albemarle, ignorant of the Chap. XIII.} 1669. scheme which Locke and Shaftesbury were maturing, framed a few laws, which, however open to obje
impaired the powers of is people; Charles ii. was equally careless of the rights and property of its tens of thousands of inhabitants. Just after the execution of Charles I., during 1649 the extreme anxiety and despair of the royalists, a patent for the Northern Neck, that is, for the country between the Rappahannock and the Potomac, had been granted to a company of Cavaliers, as a refuge for their partisans. About nine years after the restoration, this patent was surrendered, that a new 1669 May. one might be issued to Lord Culpepper, who had succeeded in acquiring the shares of all the associates. The grant was extremely oppressive, for it included plantations which had long been cultivated. Beverley, 65. Chalmers, 330. But the prodigality of the king was not exhausted. To Lord Culpepper, one of the most cunning and most covetous men in England, Hartwell, Blair, and Chilton, 31. at the time a member of the commission for trade and plantations, Evelyn, ii. 342. and to
purpose of discovering the Mississippi, of which 1669 the tales of the natives had published the magnificence, Relation 1669, 70, p. 11. sprung from Marquette himself. He had resolved on Ibid. 53. attempting it, in the autumn of 1669; and, when 1669; and, when delay intervened, from the necessity of employing him- Sept. 13. self at Che-goi-me-gon, which Allouez had exchanged for a new mission at Green Bay, he selected a young Illinois as a companion, by whose instructions he be- 1669, 1670 came familiar 1669, 1670 came familiar with the dialect of that tribe. Continued commerce with the French gave protec- 1670. tion to the Algonquins of the west, and confirmed their attachment. A political interest grew up, and extended to Colbert and the ministry of Louis XIV. It beader, at La Chine, and encouraged by Talon and Courcelles, he explored Lake Ontario, and ascended to Lake Erie; and, when 1669. the French governor, some years after occupying the banks of the Sorel, began to fortify the outlet of Lake Ontario, La S
ere early visited by the French at Sault St. Mary and Chegoimegon. They adopted into their tribes many of the Ottawas from Upper Canada, and were themselves often included by the early French writers under that name. Ottawa is but the Algonquin word for trader; and Mascoutins are but dwellers in the prairie. The latter hardly implies a band of Indians distinct from the Chippewas; but history recognizes, as a separate Algonquin tribe near Green Bay, the Menomonies, who were found there in 1669, who retained their ancient territory long after the period of French and of English supremacy, and who prove their high antiquity as a nation by the singular character of their dialect. South-west of the Menomonies, the restless Sacs and Foxes, ever dreaded by the French, held the passes from Green Bay and Fox River to the Mississippi, and, with insatiate avidity, roamed, in pursuit of contest, over the whole country between the Wiscon sin and the upper branches of the Illinois. The Shaw
in the person of its minister, who spelled his name Turell,—which would indicate that his ancestors were of French extraction. To him it was given to be the occupant of the second pulpit during its entire existence and to begin that of another. That second pulpit only lacked supporting pillars under its sounding board (it being suspended by an iron rod), to make it almost a duplicate of the bell turret, the only example of which latter now remaining is that in Hingham, built in 1681. In 1669-70 was built the third meeting-house. This had the feature of a tower from the ground, whose first floor formed a vestibule, and contained a staircase leading to the gallery. Higher up, may (prior to 1812) have been stored the town's stock of powder. We are assuming this last, as such was the custom elsewhere. This tower was quite imposing in appearance, five stories in height, and stood directly against the easterly end of the meeting-house, which was of ample proportion to accommodat
1 2 3 4 5 6