hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 155 results in 69 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 30. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Graduates of the United States Military Academy at West Point, N. Y., [from the Richmond, Va., Dispatch, March 30, April 6, 27, and May 12, 1902.] (search)
. 1861. Served under Whiting preparing defences North Carolina coast. Commandant of arsenal at Charleston, July, 1861. Major artillery, November, 1862; arsenal at Augusta, February, 1863; in charge of armory Fayetteville, N. C. Lieutenant-Colonel, November 19, 1863. Francis R. T. Nicholls.* 1688. Born Louisiana. Appointed Louisiana. 12. Brigadier-General, October 14, 1862. Commanding brigade, Trimble's Division, Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Francis A. Shoup. 1691. Born Indiana. Appointed Indiana. 15. Brigadier-General, September 12, 1862. Chief artillery, Army of Tennessee. Assigned July 25, 1864, as Chief of staff. Army of Tennessee. John R. Church. 1692. Born Georgia. Appointed Georgia. 16. James H. Hill. 1699. Born Maine. Appointed New York. 23. Robert C. Hill. 1709. Born North Carolina. Appointed North Carolina. 33. Colonel, commanding Forty-eighth North Carolina Infantry, Cooke's Brigade, A. P. Hill's Division,
the Rev. W. Turner , Jun. , MA., Lives of the eminent Unitarians, John Biddle (search)
touching the Holy Trinity, according to the Scriptures; the second, The Testimonies of Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Novatianus, Theophilus, and Origen, who lived in the two first centuries after Christ was born, or thereabouts, as also of Arnobius, Lactantius, Eusebius, Hilary, and Brightman, concerning the One God, and the Persons of the Holy Trinity. These pieces were doubtless suppressed at the time of their first publication, as far as was practicable; but they were reprinted in 1691, and are included in the first volume of the collection commonly called The Old Socinian Tracts. In the preface to his Confession of Faith, the author enlarges with much force of argument on the doctrinal absurdities and practical mischiefs which arise from the belief of three persons in one God; shewing that it introduceth, in fact, three Gods, and thus subverteth the unity of God so frequently inculcated in Scripture. Moreover, it hinders us from praying to God through his son Jesus Chris
the Rev. W. Turner , Jun. , MA., Lives of the eminent Unitarians, Thomas Emlyn (search)
on, Clarke, Peirce, and many other eminent divines of that and the immediately succeeding age, whose celebrity for a long period gave the Arian scheme the preference over that of Socinus. When James II. was driven back to France, and affairs in Ireland assumed a more peaceable and settled appearance, Mr. Emlyn was induced to accept a second overture to become joint pastor with Mr. Joseph Boyse of the Presbyterian congregation in Wood Street, Dublin. To this city he accordingly removed in 1691; and here he continued in a station of great comfort and prosperity for nearly twelve years. Mr. Emlyn appears to have been a highly popular and acceptable preacher, and the sermons of his which have reached us, prove that he was very deservedly so. They are at once rational, persuasive, and pathetic; and when the subject calls for it, often rise to a high strain of eloquence. He is said also to have been particularly excellent and attentive in discharging the more private duties of a Christ
in those days of re-naming children for the elders of the family makes it difficult to trace a direct line, but it also goes to prove in this instance a kinship, since all of the Mallet emigrants to this country bear the same Christian names. There were several Mallets who fled to America about the same time and settled in different localities. We are told that David Mallet, who, with his five sons, held a position of prominence in the army of Louis XIV., fled to England, and died there in 1691. One son was broken on the wheel, another established himself as a physician in Yorkshire, Eng. A third went to Germany, and we hear of a David Mallet, of Rouen, and later hat manufacturer in Berlin in 1685, who was probably one of these five sons. The fourth son, John, came to America, bringing with him a brother and a nephew named Peter. This John was a ship carpenter, so tradition says, and probably escaped from Lyons, France. He was a man of considerable wealth, and succeeded in bringi
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Charlestown School in the 17th century. (search)
on to be given to sd schoolmaster.’ March 8. ‘Agreed that Mr. Samuel Phipps & Lt. Eleazer Phillips go to Cambridge or elsewhere & inform themselves by the best advice they can get of a suitable person for a schoolmaster, & if they see meet to agree with one, this to be done with all expedition.’ This unseemly haste is explained, perhaps, by a reference in Hutchinson Collection, page 553. Frothingham says, page 214, ‘So watchful were the public authorities of the common schools that in 1691 Charlestown was presented to the county court for its neglect, while it was in search of a competent teacher, and only saved itself from a penalty by a quick bargain.’ May 22, 1700. ‘According to vote in March the selectmen and committee agreed with Mr. Thomas Swan to keep the school in this Towne, to teach children belonging to this towne Lattin, writeing, scifering, & to perfect them in Reading English, & forthwith to enter upon said work & continue for the space of one whole yeare
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Charlestown Schools in the 18th century. (search)
the term. A list of those accredited to Charlestown, who graduated from Harvard College previous to 1701, may prove interesting. (From Bartlett's Address, 1813.) Comfort Starr, 1647,Nathaniel Cutler, 1663, Samuel Nowell, 1653,Alexander Nowell, 1664, Joshua Long, 1653 (?),Daniel Russell, 1669, Thomas Greaves, 1656,Isaac Foster, 1671, Zechariah Symmes, 1657,Samuel Phipps, 1671, Zechariah Brigden, 1657,Nicholas Morton, 1686, Benjamin Bunker, 1658,Nicholas Lynde, 1690, Joseph Lord, 1691. A personal examination of the town records shows that from the opening of this century, almost without exception thereafter, the inhabitants of Charlestown, in town meeting assembled, discussed the welfare of the school and voted the annual appropriation for the same. Thus they were building, better, perhaps, than they knew, for upon foundations, similarly well laid, has risen, slowly but surely, the magnificent structure of our present school system. March 1, 1702-3. ‘Voted that the
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Gregory Stone and some of his descendants (search)
ectmen then performed the duty of assessors, until 1697, except in the year 1694. He was also appointed on a committee to make a rate for the ministry in 1683 and 1691, and was chosen Commissioner in 1693 and 1695. The following quotation from a report of a committee appointed to lay out the bounds of a meadow of eighty acres,o much opposed that the petition was not granted; nor was a second appeal two years later. But The Farmers, feeling the justice of their cause, persevered, and in 1691 were given permission to establish a church, though they remained a part of Cambridge in civil affairs until 1713. Samuel Stone was prominent in this new ventuowever, in Cambridge, as his name is on the tax list of 1688. He was freeman in 1682. He took a prominent part in the establishment of the church at The Farms in 1691 and later, being one of the signers of the first covenant, as has been related. In 1698 his wife was admitted to the church from Concord, and from that time their
y. A few farmers dwelt on the road to Cambridge, while quite a cluster of dwellings stood on the higher ground, through which the Medford road ran. Among these was the residence of Samuel Phipps, town clerk of Charlestown, who died suddenly in February, 1731. He was a grandson of Solomon Phipps, the carpenter, and a nephew of Samuel Phipps, the recorder. His father was a son of the carpenter, Joseph Phipps, and his mother, Mary Kettell. Samuel was born 1696, town clerk 1726, and died 1730-1, leaving a widow, Abigail, and five children, Abigail, Joseph, Samuel, Elijah, and Solomon. The widow married Joseph Whittemore, Jr., and died in 1734. Mr. Phipps' real estate lay in three parcels, within the limits of present Somerville, or, as it was then expressed, in Charlestowne without the neck. An appraisal rehearses and values it, viz.:— Homestead, 7 acres, 21 rods on the highway leading from Charlestown to Medford, bounded by lands of widow Mary Rand, of Captain Eben Breed, by la
p. 361, and Midd. Registry Deeds, i. 192. In 1665 Capt. Cooke's mill-lane is named in a deed of John Brown, of Marlboroa, to Robert Wilson, conveying his dwellinghouse and barn with six acres of land, J. Adams east, Charles. town line north, Capt. Cooke's mill-lane west, William Bull south, Oct. 27, 1665. See Paige, 502. This mill-lane was a portion of the road laid out from Watertown line to Cooke's Mill at Menotomy in 1638. The mill-lane is now Water street in Arlington. 1691. Sarah Hill, relict and administratrix of Jacob Hill, late of Cambridge (who died 12 Dec. 1690), deeds to William Cutter, carpenter, April 10, 1691, eight acres in Cambridge; north William Cutter, east the highway that leads from the mill-gate to Concord Road, south with Concord Road, and west with land of Mr. William Manning. The highway that leads from the mill-gate to Concord Road, is the mill-lane, once Capt. Cooke's, now known as Water street. William Cutter was the son of Richard Cutt
ven miles broad, especially invited curiosity; and passing beyond the heights of Vernon and the city of Washington, he ascended to the falls above Georgetown. Compare Smith, i. 177, with Stith, 65, and Smith's map. Nor did he merely explore the rivers and inlets. He penetrated the territories, established friendly relations with the native tribes, and laid the foundation for future beneficial intercourse. The ma In the Richmond edition, opposite page 149; in Purchas, IV, opposite page 1691. which he prepared and sent to the company in London, Smith's letter, in Hist. i 202. is still extant, and delineates correctly the great outlines of nature. The expedition was worthy the romantic age of American history. Three days after his return, Smith was made pres- Sept 10. ident of the council. Order and industry began to be diffused by his energetic administration, when Newport, with a second supply, entered the river. About seventy new emigrants arrived; two of them, it me
1 2 3 4 5 6 7