hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 207 results in 114 document sections:

... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The Cutter family and its connection with a tide mill in Medford. (search)
as the first of this name to begin the mill business in Medford. Few families have probably had so many millers in their family connection as the Cutters. There is this record, which possesses some interest as illustrating the family occupation of the Cutters. It refers to the first John we have mentioned: Funeral, Medford, 1788, Oct. 17—Mr. John Cutter, the miller— The title to the Cutter tide mill in Medford appears to be as follows, according to the published history of Medford: In 1746 the tide mill near Sandy Bank was built, the first of its kind in that part of the town. Its origin arose in articles of agreement between a number of citizens, owners of the land, and a number of other citizens who were the undertakers of the enterprise. These articles were dated Feb. 20, 1746. Certain procedure was necessary to complete the undertaking, such as giving lands, and opening a straight road from the market to the mill site, and building a stone bridge over Gravelly creek for
Wellington farmhouse, built 1648-165 2. One of these was at the eastern end of Governor Cradock's plantation, called the Old Fort, built in 1634, and the other about five hundred feet north of this road at a point opposite the first shipyard. In 1746 the section from the market (Medford square) to the tide-mill (near Cross street) was opened. When Thatcher Magoun, of Pembroke, Mass., came to Medford, and in 1802 selected a portion of land between the river and this road opposite its junctioharlestown, dated Oct. 23, 1824, describes it as a large dwelling-house . . . known by the name of the Colleges. Passing by Lapham's ship-yard, which has been noticed, just beyond on the edge of the river was the old tide-mill of the days of 1746. At first a grist mill, it was afterward used for various purposes such as grinding of seed and paint and sawing and planing of lumber. It was burned on the early morning of April 19, 1894, but has been rebuilt and still runs and hums as of old.
Thomas, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780, 1781, 1782, 783, 1784, 785, 1786, 1787, 1788, 1789. Brooks, James W., 1824, 1825. Brooks, Thomas, 1785, 1786, 1787. Crehore, Bowen, 1817, 1818, 1819, 1820. Curtis, Eliphaz, 1807. Curtis, Lebeus, 1811. Dexter, George B., 1826, 1827, 1828. Dodge, William, 1769. Doggett, Isaac, 1754. Floyd, Hugh, 1754, 1755, 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767, 1770, 1771, 1772. Floyd, Sarah, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748. Francis, John, Jr., 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Francis, Capt. Thomas, 1783, 1784. Frost, Rufus, 1811. Goldthwait, Benjamin, 1760. Goldthwait, Charity, 1761. Hall, John, Jr., 1702, 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706. Hall, John, Sr., 1696, 1700, 1701. Hall, Stephen, 1697, 1698, 1699. Hawkes, Jonathan, 1755, 1756, 1757, 1758. Hills, Ebenezer, 1773. Hyde, James, 1818, 1819, 1820. Jaquith, Elizabeth, 1808, 1809. Jaquith, John, 1805, 1806. Jaquit
was valid, and the discourse at Portsmouth convinced the Medford committee that the house and fencing were a dead loss to Medford, and that the utensils only remained for the town to realize anything from. Just what the Possession Fence was, that Medford erected on the two land boundaries, which were something over a half mile in length, we do not know, probably not of barbed wire, though the pitch pine and maple trees on the river bank would have made good terminal posts for such. In 1746 the last surviving heir of Mason had sold his rights to twelve gentlemen of Portsmouth, who, to conciliate, recorded quit claims to towns where settlement had been made, but we have found no indication of Medford being thus favored. It might be interesting to know how the old tenor basal price named for the vendue compared with the standard hard money of the time. By careful comparison of the foregoing plat and its bounds and courses with the map of the New Hampshire county of Hillsboroug
... 7 8 9 10 11 12