hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 244 results in 58 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
he favorable action of the town about gristmills in two places, and added of the first: This was not successful, nor was the following,. . . We ask, was Mr. Brooks correct in these statements? and reply that he was regarding one just below Wear bridge, and wish he had told more of the occupation of '55. On what he based forever pray &c Medford May 30 1698. In the name of & by the order of the selectmen Stephen Willis Towne Clerk By examination of Medford records we find Mr. Brooks' quotation practically correct, under date of May 30, 1698. At a meeting of the frehders and other inhabitents of Medford legally convened put to vote whetthat might have been appropriately called Mistick bridge, and the suitable place where a mill may be erected would lie a little above it, and tally exactly with Mr. Brooks' short distance below Wear bridge (or rather the location of Wear bridge), to which travel was diverted ten years after the petition for this mill was made.
t Mistick which was launched this day and called The Blessing of the Bay. We do not deny but that there was a tradition current relative to early ship building on the north side of the river. In fact, we think there may have been, and that Mr. Brooks, who wrote as above in 1855, at the age of sixty, had it from his forbears, who were men of mature age, when Thatcher Magoun established his shipyard on the north side of the Mistick, and when later other ship-builders found the remains of old ways and timbers farther down beside the river. So Mr. Brooks transfers Winthrop's ship-building from Charlestown to Medford, by saying, the record concerning it is as follows, and quotes: July 4, 1631. The governor's bark, etc., etc. Now as we look at it, the governor's bark (the Blessing) was built just where the governor wrote that it was, at Mistick, the Ten Hills Farm in Charlestown (present Somerville), and not in Medford at all. Neither had Governor Winthrop any possessions whatever
ions asked in the article, and perhaps to criticize some of the statements and conclusions of the author. I agree with Mr. Brooks that in all probability the Wade mill was the first erected within Medford limits. The senior Mr. Wade purchased land Cutter owned the other part of the acre and three-fourths of marsh land that Joseph Prout sold to Jonathan Dunster. Mr. Brooks says, in writing of a mill a short distance below Wear bridge, the place is yet occupied. If we are to be guided by Mothere was not any building there in 1822, but the conveyance of mill rights shows that a mill stood there at one time. Mr. Brooks' statement that the place is yet occupied probably had reference to the remains recently discovered. In regard to thhave been on Main street where the author of the article assumes it to be, unless it was as far away from Moore square as Brooks park, and then he would have been obliged to ignore the Middlesex canal, Branch canal and locks, also the Turnpike with t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 23., The Touro house and its owner. (search)
have alluded elsewhere in this issue to a Touro—Lafayette episode, and now quote from page 493, Brooks' History of Medford. 1825.—Medford has not been a resort for Jews; but it had one who is remnst that operation, he firmly answered thus: No! I will never go into heaven with one leg. Mr. Brooks made brief mention of his wealth and legacies. We can but wonder what he would think could heon under oath to be filed in court, but is, however, in writing and interleaved in his copy of Mr. Brooks' history at page 493, on which page is written 1824 beside the printed 1825. Mr. Swan evidentl military friend with whom Mr. Touro made the temporary exchange of horses, was undoubtedly Governor Brooks; and the occasion of this inspection and review may have been his last, certainly one of hi he best enjoyed his home in Medford, where he could have the society also of his neighbor, Governor Brooks. His will and the papers which refer to his estate, evidence concerning his business and h
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Mr. Stetson's notes on information wanted. (search)
owever. Why did Mr. Peter C. Brooks, in 1820, build his arch over the canal of stone from Concord, N. H.? (15 Register, p. 31.) He covered that arch and all the promenade from his mansion to the lake with Medford red gravel. Why did the Halls, who owned both quarries, build (1786) those steps behind the Dudley Hall house of granite from Tyngsboro? (15 Register, p. 65.) Mr. Magoun built his street wall in front of the Library (A. D. 18—) of Medford dark granite. (15 Register, p. 14, says Mr. Brooks built street walls of dark Medford granite.) Was the supply limited? Query: Was there ever a stone-cutting establishment in Medford? Was the retaining wall built of Medford dark granite? Medford red gravel was very popular. To say nothing of Med ford gardens, I saw it in many a Cambridge garden in 1845. It was on the pathways of Mount Auburn, and years earlier on the walks of Boston Common. It rolled hard and firm, did not tend to mud, had no weed seeds, and its color was fine.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Old ships and ship-building days of Medford. (search)
ion that she was built on the north side of Mystic river, and probably not far from the governor's house at Ten Hills. Brooks. History of Medford. The next year, 1632, Mr. Cradock built a vessel of one hundred tons, on the bank of the Mystic. In 1633, a ship of two hundred tons, and another named Rebecca, tonnage unknown; both built by Mr. Cradock. Brooks says, There is reason to believe that Mr. Cradock's ship-yard was that now occupied by J. T. Foster. May 29, 1644, the General Couhe landing near Rock hill in West Medford. These were called lighters, and were used for the navigation of the river. Brooks. History of Medford. Mr. Rhodes of Boston built a vessel named the Mayflower here. There was a large business in freigten ship yards within a mile's distance, and where one to three vessels could often be seen at one time on the stocks. Brooks. History of Medford. Following Mr. Magoun the next year Calvin Turner of Pembroke and Enos Briggs of the Essex county
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30., The road through the woods. (search)
merly stood. October, 1709, it reported, Beginning at Adams his gate in Menotomy, allowing three rods in breadth to the Weares, where the road now lyeth a long time improved, and from said weares to Ebenezer Brooks his gate which is between said Brooks and John Francis, and from said Brooks his gate to Symms his farm, . . . assuring to Samuel Brooks the barn one end of which stands in the highway while the barn stands, and no longer. No name was given this road, but the committee told of conBrooks his gate to Symms his farm, . . . assuring to Samuel Brooks the barn one end of which stands in the highway while the barn stands, and no longer. No name was given this road, but the committee told of considering the way to Convers' mill in Woburn (recently Whitney's in Winchester). A short road ran from this to the mill of Symmes (now Wedgemere) which from 1754 to 1851 was in Upper Medford. To this day there are but three or four houses southward from that short road. It remains a country road, with no dwellings, for a mile to the stone farmhouse and Lowell railway. It is beautiful for situation, the rising hill on one side and the shining lakes and higher hills on the other, but in recent
somewhat abnormal condition of the household. His new sled — the "Kearsarge"--behaves as well as its namesake. The Arago has got back to New York, so that I think we shall get news from Sid to-night.--Best love to husband and babies. Your ever affectionate papa, E. E. The "Everett" alluded to is Edward Everett Wise, a young son of Captain Wise, who was visiting his grandfather at the time of his death. "Sid," also alluded to, is Mr. Everett's oldest son, about thirty years of age, a major in the volunteer service, and now at Beaufort, South Carolina, serving upon the staff of General Saxton. Mr. Everett had three sons and two daughters by his wife, Charlotte Gray, daughter of the late Hon. Peter C. Brooks, who died about two years ago. One daughter died while Mr. Everett was minister to London, and subsequently he lost a son. Two sons, Henry Sidney Everett and William Everett, and a daughter, survive him. The latter is married to Commander Henry A. Wise, of the navy.
1 2 3 4 5 6