It was handsomer than Quincy stone.
It would appear in great masses, some unchanged by rust, others hard as ever but colored like the gravel.
The final form was the so-called red gravel.
This stone was in demand.
Mr. Joseph Grinnell built a house of it in New Bedford in 1830, and told me it came round Cape Cod in a schooner.
Many gravestones, too, were made of it. Perhaps a search in Boston might find it in some house fronts.
There are some puzzles, however.
Why did Mr. Peter C. Brooks, in 1820, build his arch over the canal of stone from Concord, N. H.?
（15 Register, p. 31.) He covered that arch and all the promenade from his mansion to the lake with Medford red gravel.
Why did the Halls, who owned both quarries, build (1786) those steps behind the Dudley Hall house of granite from Tyngsboro? (15 Register, p. 65.) Mr. Magoun built his street wall in front of the Library (A. D. 18—) of Medford dark granite. (15 Register, p. 14, says Mr. Brooks built street walls o
22—Bennett delta, 1924.
By dedication of Bennett memorial tablet on Sunday, May 11, 1924, the triangular park at junction of High and Grove streets is officially named Bennett delta.
It was laid out and trees planted by its then owner, Peter Chardon Brooks, a century ago, and was styled by Historian Rev. Charles Brooks, The Delta.
It is really the beginning of Medford's park system.
The exercises of dedication, attended by a vast throng, though weather conditions were adverse, were well caacing Woburn road was the house of Golden Moore, purchased by Thomas Brooks in 1660, and occupied by his son, Caleb Brooks, on his coming to Medford in 1679, and torn down by his grandson Samuel, just a century later.
It was the wish of Peter Chardon Brooks that the estate should remain in the family as long as possible.
Not until 1909 was any portion of the Brooks estate (west of the railroad) sold.
Then came the erection of numerous houses by the West Medford Real Estate Trust and others,
famous Puritan teacher, Rev. John Cotton of Boston, Mr. Brooks had two sons and two daughters.
His second son, Hon. Peter Chardon Brooks, who was born at North Yarmouth 6 January 1767 and died in Boston 1 January 1849, was named for one of his fathooks the wife of Hon. Charles Francis Adams, son of President John Quincy Adams.
Gorham Brooks of Medford, son of Peter Chardon Brooks, was born at Medford 10 February 1795, entered Harvard College, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of A4, daughter of Resin Davis and Lucy (Gorham) Shepherd.
Their only daughter died in infancy; but their eldest son, Peter Chardon Brooks, A. B. (Harvard, 1852), A. M. (ib., 1871), who was born at Watertown 8 May 1831 and died in Boston 27 January 1920and that of Master of Arts in 1872.
Only two of his Harvard classmates of 1857 survived him.
After leaving college, Mr. Brooks passed the winter in New Orleans, and in the autumn of 1858 went to Europe, where he remained two years and travelled e
compiled chiefly from the researches of P. C. Brooks, senior, his son, Gorham, and his nephew, Willik until they were out of ammunition.
Peter Chardon Brooks, his son, related that he saw the sun fimple and modest account of the life of Peter Chardon Brooks and the amassing of his fortune.
Morwn the placid canal.
With the death of Peter C. Brooks in 1849, at the end of his long, serene lford for a cemetery.
Before the death of Peter C. Brooks his second son, Gorham, had bought from h.
Others of the thirteen children of Peter Chardon Brooks who may interest especially a Medford as.
It was left to the grandchildren of Peter C. Brooks, the sons of Gorham,—Peter C. Brooks, thiPeter C. Brooks, third of the name, and Shepherd Brooks to present the aspect of the Brooks property as it is known in ining wall or dike at the western end.
Peter C. Brooks, 3d, and Shepherd Brooks needed no landscs the gift of Edward Brooks, son of Peter Chardon Brooks, senior.
The delta, at the meeting of High[8 more...]
st recorded visit of white men to what became our ancient town of Medford.
It is one of our oldest roads.
Two centuries and a half after the death of the old Indian king on the crown of the hill, there was erected the grey stone house of Peter C. Brooks (third of the name), who has but a few years since passed away.
So only two families have succeeded the Indian on these hilltops as residents.
This old road is certainly of great interest, as the county records show that in 1693 the courthe same unfrequented road one moonlight night to their new home in the West End of Medford.
It was then known as Grove street, but not till about a century ago it was announced by the selectmen thus: From High street near the canal bridge by P. C. Brooks' to Symmes corner, Grove street. This reminds us that the Middlesex canal had been cut through the Brooks land and in operation in 1803.
The bridge at High street was somewhat elevated and one was required to unite the dissevered parts of his