faithful and lovable to the end of his long and useful life.
He was greatly interested in promoting the welfare of Medford.
In 1855, he was one of three appointed to consider the advisability of establishing a public library.
It was founded mainly through his efforts, and he was one of its first trustees, and for several years served as its librarian.
Since his retirement, he has been very active with his pen, writing much local history; reminiscences of the old stage coach and Middlesex Canal days; sketches of the town from 1850 to 1860.
He was of great assistance to Mr. Usher in his revision of the old Brooks' History of Medford,—has written a history of the Medford High School,—has collected and tabulated complete genealogical records of his ancestors from 1630, and of his wife's family from the days of the Pilgrims in Holland.
The Medford Historical Society is indebted to him for a very interesting and valuable paper, giving a very comprehensive history of the Mystic Co
evens came next in 1870, building his house on North street.
No highway crossed the Mystic between Winthrop and Usherbridges till 1873, so when Mr. Stevens moved his barns from his former residence on Warren street in West Medford, they went via High street to Winthrop square, crossing the river and railway on the Winthrop street bridges, then down across the field, a roundabout journey, to the spot where one still remains.
At that date, the embankments, towpath and bed of the disused Middlesex canal could be plainly seen, extending from Cotting street westward to the railroad and through the Somerville appendix, to the river.
The slowly decaying aqueduct, with its abutments of boulders and its granite piers, still spanned the river —a picturesque ruin.
Because of the fact that a citizen of Medford, Nathan Brown, had eyes to see, and skill to paint, and that others appreciated his work, we of today may know how that locality appeared in 1865.
When Mr. Stevens moved to the Hills