hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 174 results in 57 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
wide and fifty or sixty feet long, and of light draught, owing to the physical limitation of her route, the fresh shallow water of the Middlesex canal and the Merrimack river. The former had been in operation but fifteen years, and as yet had paid no dividends, when the steamboat Merrimack first ploughed its placid waters. With a steam service from Boston to Salem and Newburyport, and the Merrimack river navigable to Haverhill, the canal's interests would be endangered, and its enterprising manager set about their defense. A steamboat line on the inland route would open the Merrimack valley direct to Boston, as locks just constructed made navigation posal, the railroad, had not gained so easy a victory. The answer may be found, partly in the natural conditions then existing and partly in the financial. The Merrimack river, with its many rocks and the sunken logs of the lumber drives, all difficult to remove, was a continual menace; while the artificial banks of the canal were e
s. In removing the shingles of 1870 at this time the workmen found one of those removed in 1870 in the cornice. It was much more worn by the weather during its service than its successor. Near the present location of the house was a willow which was over four feet in diameter when removed in 1889 to make room for this and new buildings. The willow now in the adjoining lot is a sprout from its stump. The Middlesex canal, which for fifty years was a waterway from the Charles to the Merrimac river, passed along the location of Boston avenue and was, at its construction, the greatest inland improvement of the country. Begun in the closing years of the eighteenth and opened in the early years of the nineteenth, we may contrast it with the means of travel and carriage of this present year of the new century, and wonder if the coming years will witness as much change, and as many improvements. Just how old this house is we have no means of knowing, but it is probably much more tha
d out to the grantees of ye town Whys * called by the name of Olld Harrys town Westerly by Province Land northerly and Easterly by Pefcataquogg River the lines beginning att a pitch pine tree on the bank of Sd River (about two miles west of Merrimack River) markt M F then running due West by ye needle with a line of markt trees 693 perch then turning No 15 Degrees E to a Maple tree standing on the bank of the aforsd Pefcataquogg River markt M F 400 perch then turning and running with sd Pescatof town meetings for a period of fourteen years, and the ancient town record is of much interest. Mr. Morss, in his excellent article on Medford schools, Register, Vol. III, p. 12, alludes to it, and locates it between the Piscataqua and Merrimac rivers, evidently quoting from Brooks' history. But his entire article contains carefully made quotations from the town records relative to school matters. As will be seen from the above, this town farm was two miles westward from the Merrimack a
y unloaded. But what about the tradition of the governor's bark? for traditions have some value after all. Perhaps it can be supported and made less shadowy by authentic record. Let us see. There is, in the archives of our State House, carefully preserved, a letter from, and in the handwriting of, another Governor, the presiding functionary of the London Company chartered by King Charles I, who made that company a grant of land in New England in width from three miles north of the Merrimack river to three miles south of the Charles river and westward to the South sea in which to do business. The company had sent over a colony which settled at Nahumkeeke, i.e. Salem, with a few at Cape Ann, i.e. Gloucester, but who left there and settled at Mattapan (present Dorchester) and a few at Nantasket. All these were under the supervision of a local governor, John Endicott. There had some from Salem found their way across country (or otherwise) to the Mistick valley, and had here se
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28., The beginning of a New village. (search)
t of that was his laundry. Capt. A. A. Samson was the occupant of the house in ‘70. Mr. Lincoln's home was directly opposite, and his land adjoined the Canal house land, which latter was a part of the Smith estate. He was a carpenter by trade, one of the old stock, who knew and did excellent work; and a very worthy man. This street was a town way, and got its name because it was the way to Landing No. 4 of the Middlesex canal, the famous waterway which connected Boston harbor with the Merrimac river at Chelmsford (now Lowell) in 1803. Near this landing (now 120-122 Boston avenue) was the canal tavern, such as were found at every lock along the canal's course. It was occupied at the time of the sale by Thomas Martin, an excellent stone-mason, who laid much of the stone wall on the Brooks estate. The Smith estate also included the brick house on Canal street, which was built in 1812 by the town for its almshouse, and all the land opposite from Prescott street, bordering Whitmore br
Suicide. --Deacon Chadwick Kimball, of Bradford, Mass., jumped from the bridge which crosses the Merrimack river, Monday, while laboring under a temporary aberration of mind. He was rescued from the water, but died shortly after.
Manufactures in Manchester, N. H. --Manchester, N. H. built at the Amoskeag Falls, in the Merrimack river, is one of the cities of New England which have had a marvellous growth, rising from feebleness and insignificance to places of great business and industrial importance in a few years. In 1840, Manchester had a population of 3,223; in 1850, 13,392; in 1854, 19,897, and in 1860 about 25,000. Its growth began in 1838, at which time there were, within the limits of the city proper, not more than fifty inhabitants. The capital stock of the manufacturing companies is $6,840,000, which run 6,154 looms and 229,132 spindles. Number of female operatives 4,870; male operatives 2,490; consumption of cotton per week 385,000 lbs; of wool 30,000 lbs.; yards made per week 1,133,500; yards printed per annum 17,500,000; 2,300,000 seamless bags per annum are woven here. The monthly pay roll is $139,200.
1 2 3 4 5 6