hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 214 results in 42 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 11., Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. (search)
This concluded, they were turned down again, and the result was like a fusillade of musketry all over the house. Mr. Porter's pastorate was all too short, as he died after serving the church and town nine years, and was succeeded by the Rev. Ebenezer Turell in 1724. He, like his predecessor, took unto himself a wife soon after coming to Medford. Still more room was needed for the accommodation of the people, and after much discussion the town built a new and much larger meeting-house juaron Warner would find his old parish somewhat changed on doctrinal points, but ready to welcome him, and possibly he might not be pleased with the chiming bells and liturgical service across the country road, as he would call High street. Parson Turell would look in vain for his old home, only demolished in recent years. Perchance he might wonder if this was really Meadford. But we may do well, if we of this year of grace, 1906, serve our day and generation, in church and state, in religious
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 13., A curious record and recorder. (search)
and also all the Baptisms. By Thomas Seccombe. The record begins with September 3, 1727, when the first sermon was preached in our new Meeting House by Mr. Ebenezer Turell, and ends with the following entry: The owner of this book died about 11 o'clock this night, fast day, April 15, 1773. Another hand continued the journal been printed, they would have made 280 volumes, giving 20 sermons for a volume. So true is the old proverb: Omnia vincit improbus labor. The last sermon of Mr. Turell was preached April 17, 1774, the text selected seeming to be prophetic of the end of his career, If a man die, shall he live again? All the days of my appointenge come. Here ended his labors, and soon after his life. His successor was Rev. Dr. David Osgood, who acquired a wide celebrity for two political sermons. Mr. Turell seldom exchanged pulpits, and never, so far as the record shows, repeated a sermon. He never preached extempore, but always wrote his sermon fully out. He was
Joseph Teel by name, and was probably an uncle of the Mr. Teel mentioned elsewhere in this issue of the Register. It appears that on March 29, 1797, a sportsman was passing along the country road, as High street was then called, just as a party of boys came from, or toward, the old brick schoolhouse that stood near the third meetinghouse. The boys were all excited in the chase of a rabbit, which eluded them and disappeared in a drain under the road. This was near the old house of Parson Turell, then occupied by a Boston merchant or capitalist, John Coffin Jones. The location was the present Winthrop square, but who the hunter was is unknown. He became excited, also, in the pursuit of the game; so much so that he laid his gun over the shoulder of one of the boys and ran to look into the drain. If he expected the boy to stand still like a post he was mistaken. The gun fell to the ground, and having no guard around the trigger was discharged, and the contents lodged in the stom
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 14., Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. (search)
on of their acts the nickname of Methodists. Forty years before there had been a young man preaching for a brief time in Medford (Benjamin Colman), who became the minister of the Manifesto Church in Boston. He it was who invited one of the Methodists of the Holy Club to come over. This was a priest of the Church of England, the Rev. George Whitefield, who made four missionary tours through the colonies, and whose successful labors are matters of history. The Medford minister, Rev. Ebenezer Turell (though the son-in-law of Dr. Colman), did not regard Whitefield favorably, and refused him admittance to the Medford pulpit, and, in reply to the zealots asking it, preached a sermon magnifying his (own) office, and at Whitefield's death, in 1770, another, somewhat discrediting, if we may judge by the text—Man at his best estate is altogether vanity. Whitefield was followed by Richard Boardman in 1772. Freeborn Garrettson came in 1787, and Jesse Lee preached under the old elm on
ove of letters. The earlier inhabitants prevented the invasion of the town by large manufacturing interests and thus attracted a class of residents that found leisure for more or less cultivation of the arts and sciences and literature. In the early days the church was the center of literary interest, and most of its ministers have left some printed record behind them. The Rev. Benjamin Colman, who preached in Medford in 1693, was a model of literary excellence in his sermons. Rev. Ebenezer Turell, who occupied the Medford pulpit from 1724 to 1778, published a pamphlet on Witchcraft, and A Direction to My People in Relation to the Present Times, which plead for a religion founded on truth and soberness rather than one arising from emotion. Even more in advance of the times was a discourse in favor of inoculation for smallpox. In 1741 he published A Memoir of the Life and Death of the Pious and Ingenuous Mrs. Jane Colman Turell, who died at Medford, March 26, 1735, aetat 27.
ngier kept a dame's school in her only first-floor room at some time after her husband's death. The eastern portion went to Mr. Watson's son Jonathan, who, with his sister, sold the property and moved to Upper Medford, now known as Symmes' Corner in Winchester. Timothy Fitch was the purchaser, and was then a resident of Boston and Nantucket. He never lived in this house, and it would seem that he purchased for investment. Later he became a resident of Medford, buying the home of Parson Turell not long after the latter's death, which occured in 1778. Mr. Fitch enlarged the house by building at its rear, extending the new portion by the ends of the original house, and building a large chimney therein. This part was divided into numerous rooms, and sheds extended backward. He did not remove the old gambrel roof, but covered the new portion with a roof of one continuous slope backward, the rafters being fitted against the older ones. The attics of the older part were roughly pl
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16., Distinguished guests and residents of Medford. (search)
they need no mention. Although the family of the writer was not among Medford's first settlers, yet she is glad to claim connection with the early history of the place where the family home was established many years ago, through her relative on the paternal side, Judge Samuel Sewall of witchcraft fame. He frequently came to call upon his niece (1713, etc.), the wife of Rev. Aaron Porter, the first settled pastor of the town. One Sunday in October, 1738, among the worshipers in Rev. Mr. Turell's congregation was Gov. Jonathan Belcher. As he was one of the royal governors we may imagine he came with some show of pomp, but not enough, we hope, to distract attention from the minister and his discourse. A touch of the romantic was given our staid little town when Sir Henry Frankland and Agnes Surriage (between 1745 and 1775) came on horseback to call on the Royalls at their fine mansion, then in the height of its splendor. How little did the fair maid from Marblehead then dr
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16., Medford parsonage and later occupants. (search)
and now again largely used. One of its early examples in Medford was the Turell-Porter house, (See Vol. V. No. 1 Register for view). Built not long after Parson Turell's settlement, (1725) it was duplicated by the Watson house (1738-1912) in its original construction. It occupied a conspicuous position at the turn of highway er but with the same style of gambrel roof, with skylights and larger chimney. Mr. Caleb Swan filed the following away at about 1856 relative thereto. After Mr. Turell's death (1778) his house was occupied by Mr. Timothy Fitch from Nantucket, who married Mrs Plaisted a Quaker widow—he had previously owned the house of Mrs Saml his house by spinal infirmity, the last 10 or 15 years.—— Over date of Aug. 8, 1888, is added with pencil:— House of Jonathan Porter Esq built by Rev. Mr. Turell now destroyed, the land is still owned by Miss Mary Porter daughter of Jonathan Porter. J. G. Swan. Since the old house was built, have come Purchase an
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16., Volume II of Medford records. (search)
increased £ 5 per year until it should amount to £ 80, together with strangers' money, and in the next February they offered him £ 80 and the strangers' money to settle, but the bait didn't seem attractive. May 25, 1724, it was voted to hear Mr. Turell preach two days and Mr. Lowell preach one day, the church then to make a nomination, and the meeting was adjourned three weeks, at which time a choice was to be made, and it was voted to set apart the 15th day of June as a day of fasting and prd please to direct the affairs of that day in the choice of a minister, and to request Revs. Mr. Coleman, Brown and Appleton to assist on that day, and the meeting adjourned to meet on the evening of the fast day. The final result was that Rev. Ebenezer Turell was chosen at a salary of £ 90 per year and strangers' money, which was increased to £ 100 in September; and he continued as minister for fifty years. April 20, 1725, it was voted to build a new meeting house and then voted not to appro
The Turell house. In regard to the statement in the Register (Vol. XVI, page 51) that the Turell, or Jonathan Porter house was built by Mr. Turell, I wish to state that the land upon which the above-named house stood was a deed of gift from Ebenezer Nutting to his son, Jonathan Nutting. Ebenezer's estate extended along High street from Ram's Head lane (Rural avenue) to the stone wall on the westerly boundary of the Puffer estate. The portion conveyed to Jonathan was bounded souther, and no mention of a building was made. The deed was dated March 12, 1717-8. By deed dated February 8, 1723-4, Jonathan Nutting sold to John Giles a tenement and two acres of land, and John Giles sold the estate September 22, 1725, to the Rev. Ebenezer Turell. The house was no doubt subject to many changes during its existence, but the original portion must have been built by Jonathan Nutting soon after the land came into his possession. The highway on the northerly boundary was the way to
1 2 3 4 5