hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 194 results in 105 document sections:

... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
aces for them. The Court adopted the report of the committee December 7th, that the new, or west meeting-house, should be removed to a rising ground within twenty rods of Nathaniel Livermore's dwelling-house [the present Lyman Place], or a new one be erected there within two years; that the old, or east meeting-house, should be removed to School-house hill, or a new one be built there within ten years. The town voted compliance with this report. The West Precinct, at their first meeting, in 1720, adopted measures to support preaching, and applied for the new meeting-house, in order to remove it, but owing to some difficulties in regard to moving the building, they decided to purchase of Newton their old meeting-house for £ 80, removed and erected it on the designated spot, north of the entrance gate on Lyman Street, and some two rods east of the wall. This was the first church edifice erected in Waltham, about seventeen years before the incorporation of the town. Rev. Samuel Angi
the tannery, which was upon the bank of Beaver Brook, was a small shop that had been a barrack at Cambridge during the Revolution. The old house was taken down in 1848 and the present residence erected. The fine large elm in front was planted in 1720. The property is now owned by J. B. Bright, Esq. Beaver Brook, now a small stream, was once four rods wide, tradition says. In 1798 Main Street on the west side of Beaver Brook passed through a deep cut between high and steep banks. The onilliam Welsteed, a merchant of Boston, who brought the news to Boston of the earthquake at Port Royal, Jamaica, on which occasion he narrowly escaped death. He was graduated from Harvard College with the class of 1717; was Librarian from 1718 to 1720, when he was appointed a tutor, and held the position till 1728, when he was called to the pulpit of the old North Church in Boston. He and Nicholas Sever, a fellow tutor, were conspicuous for claiming seats in the board of overseers of the Colle
ine, may have had forty-four thousand; New Hampshire and Rhode Island, with Providence, each six thousand; Connecticut, from seventeen to twenty thousand; that is, all New England, seventy-five thousand souls; Neal, II. 601. Sir Wm. Petty, 75, says 150,000. Brattle says, in 1708, in N. England, from 100 to 120,000. This is right, and corresponds with other data. In the account for N. E. for 1688, I have confidence. Neal blunders about Boston, which, m 1790, had not 20,000, much less in 1720. The statements in the text are made by inductions, and are, I believe, substantially correct. The positive data in those days are half the time notoriously false; as the statements of Randolph. The account in Humphrey much underrates Virginia. New York, not less than twenty thousand; New Jersey, half as many; Pennsylvania and Del-aware, perhaps twelve thousand; Maryland, twentyfive thousand; Virginia, fifty thousand, or more; and the two Carolinas, which then included the soil of Georgia,
p XXII.} the rivulets, the granite ledges, of Cape Breton,—of which the irregular outline is guarded by reefs of rocks, and notched and almost rent asunder by the constant action of the sea,—were immediately occu- Pichon, 3 pied as a province of France; and, in 1714, fugitives from Newfoundland and Acadia built their huts along its coasts wherever safe inlets invited fishermen to spread their flakes, and the soil, to plant fields and gardens. In a few years, the fortifications of Louisburg 1720. began to rise—the key to the St. Lawrence, the bulwark of the French fisheries, and of French commerce in North America. From Cape Breton, the dominion of Louis XIV. extended up the St. Lawrence to Lake Superior, and from that lake, through the whole course of the Mississippi, to the Gulf of Mexico and the Bay of Mobile. Just beyond that bay began the posts of the Spaniards, which continued round the shores of Florida to the fortress of St. Augustine. The English colonies skirted the Atl<
reaty of 1721, reverted to Spain. The tidings of peace were welcomed at Biloxi with heartfelt joy. 1722. During the period of hostility, La Harpe, in a letter 1720 Jan. 8. La Harpe, Mss to the nearest Spanish governor, had claimed Texas to the Del Norte as a part of Louisiana. France was too feeble to stretch its colonies fud grew to be apparent; the parliament protested that private persons were by the system defrauded of three fifths of their income. To stifle doubt, Law, who had 1720. Jan. 5. made himself a Catholic, was appointed comptroller- Feb. 27 general; and the new minister of finance perfected the triumph of paper by a decree that no pNot even the proposal to abrogate charters could excite a united opposition. Public sentiment in America so little respected the proprietary governments, that, in 1720, the three New England charter governments were left to contend for their privileges alone. It was asserted, on the side of those who desired to merge colonial li
ickyard lane. South street was early known as the Fordway, or the Way to the ford. In later days it was called Fish House lane, taking its name from the fish-house that stood on the north side of the lane, near to the fishing-place. It was laid out two rods wide from Main street to the ford or landing-place. This lane was afterwards extended as far west as the third rangeway. Union street (now Swan street), or that part of it leading east from Main street, was laid out about the year 1720. It was laid out two rods wide, and was called the Way to the wharfs. Another way, one rod in width, was laid out about the same time. It is the way now leading from Main street to Mr. Bean's coal yard. A part of Broadway was once situated within the limits of Medford. That portion of Main street between South street and the Square was not in use until after the building of the bridge. In March, 1695, the Hon. John Usher and Mr. David Jeffreys motioned the County Court to alter
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 3., Births, Deaths and Marriages from early records. (search)
Jofhuay Nickols and Ruth grean both of Malden Maried Aprill 12 —1720—by Thoms Tufts Esqr Thomas Ingerfol of springfeild & Ruth Child of Watertown Maried May: 17-1720 by Thos. Tufts Esqr Jonathan Barrett and Mehittbll lynde both of Malden Maried July 19-1720 by Thoms. Tuft1720 by Thoms. Tufts Esqr. John King and Rachall Barron both of Watetown wer Married feptembr. ye . 28—1720—by Thomr. tufts Esq Jack negro & peg maried oct1720—by Thomr. tufts Esq Jack negro & peg maried october 4th. 1720 William osborn and Sarah perry both of Cambridge wer maryed octobr ye 7th.—1720 by thoms. tufts Esqr Samuell Evens and h1720 by thoms. tufts Esqr Samuell Evens and hanah franklins both of Malden Married Decembr. 2—1720—by Thoms. Tufts Esqr Obadiah Jenkins and mary Grover both of Malden wer maryed Janry1720—by Thoms. Tufts Esqr Obadiah Jenkins and mary Grover both of Malden wer maryed Janry 5th.—1720/1 by thoms tufts Esqr Ebenefer Desper and Sary Right both of Malden wer Marryd Decmbr 24—1720—By thoms. Tufts Esqr John Sarg1720—By thoms. Tufts Esqr John Sargant of Charlstown and Sary Dextor of Malden Were maryed May ye. 25—1721—By Thomas tufts Esqr. Jacob Gaskin of Boftow
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
full for Room for ye School in Time past, £ 2-02s. Accordingly we feel sure that the first school-house was not built in 1720. The duties of the school committee up to this time had been very simple. They were appointed for the specific duty of g a room, and there their responsibility ceased. Evidently there were inconveniences attending this first school of 1719-20, for the next year the question of division was brought up, and at an adjourned meeting, Dec. 12, 1720, it was voted that t part. The agitation for a new meeting-house which began in 1716, and completely buried the proposed new schoolhouse in 1720, reached a climax in 1726, when the second meeting-house was built on the low land just east of Marble creek which has sinf the men who taught the children of Medford during this time have been found. Those known are 1719, Henry Davison. 1720, Henry Davison, Caleb Brooks. 1728, [Ammi R.] Cutter, Harvard, class of 1725(?) 1729, [Henry] Gibbs, Harvard, class
s has been before stated, bought the estate in the year 1717. He died in the year 1719, and in that year and in the years 1720 and 1721, and also in the year 1726, his widow, Mrs. Lydia Peirce, received an nnholder's license. Up to this date I havee of 1/2 said vessel from Lanclet Baker to David Selleck: Mr. Willis was granted a license as an innholder in the year 1720, and probably built his house soon after his purchase. He was sometimes called a shopkeeper. He occupied the estate as a Usher. It was a part of Gov. Winthrop's Ten Hills Farm. As Mr. Cleveland was granted an innholder's license in the year 1720, this house must have been built prior to that date. Mr. Cleveland was the landlord of this tavern from the year 1720 to 1720 to 1738, both inclusive. In the latter year he sold the estate to Colonel Isaac Royall, senior. After the death of Colonel Royall in the year 1739, his son, Colonel Isaac Royall, junior, came into possession of the property. From the year 1739 to 174
61, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767, 1770, 1771, 1772. Floyd, Sarah, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748. Francis, John, Jr., 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Francis, Capt. Thomas, 1783, 1784. Frost, Rufus, 1811. Goldthwait, Benjamin, 1760. Goldthwait, Charity, 1761. Hall, John, Jr., 1702, 171814, 1815, 1816, 1817, 1818. Mayo, Seth and Rufus Frost, 1810. Mead, Israel, 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763. Moore, Augustus, 1768. Peirce, Lydia, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Peirce, Nathaniel, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710, 1711, 1712, 713, 1714, 1715, 1716, 1717, 1718. Perham, Daniel, 1812, 1813. Porter, Jonathan, 1774,24. Wait, Darius, 1813, 1814. Walker, Edward, 1778, 1779. Weston, Wyman, 1799, 1800, 1801, 1802, 1803, 1804, 1805. Whitmore, Francis, 1759. Willis, Benjamin, 1720, 1721, 1722, 1723, 1724, 1725, 1726, 1727, 1728, 1729, 1730. Willis, Thomas, 1691, 1692, 1693. Woodward, Daniel, 1690. Wyatt, Samuel, 1819, 1820.
... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11