hide Matching Documents

Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Pierre G. T. Beauregard or search for Pierre G. T. Beauregard in all documents.

Your search returned 45 results in 34 document sections:

1 2 3 4
March 5. General Peter G. T. Beauregard, lately a major in the United States Engineer Corps, was ordered by Jefferson Davis, President of the Southern Confederacy, to proceed to Charleston and take command of the forces there assembled, and to be assembled for the investment of Fort Sumter.--Herald, March 7. In the Texas State Convention, a letter was received from General Waul, enclosing a letter from the Secretary of War of the Confederate States, in relation to the military complications in Texas. President Davis instructs the Secretary of War to say that he is disposed to assume every responsibility compatible with the relations of the Federal Government to Texas. Davis considers it due to international courtesy that the Government of the Confederate States (Texas included, after her withdrawal from the United States) should accord to the troops belonging to the Federal Government a reasonable time within which to depart from her territory. Should the Federal Governme
March 25. Colonel Lamon, a Government messenger, had an interview at Charleston with Governor Pickens and General Beauregard.--Times, March 26. The rumors from Charleston are very conflicting concerning the evacuation of Fort Sumter. One report states that Major Anderson is strengthening his position; another, that he has received orders to evacuate the fort and report himself for duty at Newport barracks, and that the officers are packing their goods in expectation of immediate departure. The truth of the matter will probably be known in a day or two.--Evening Post.
April 7. General Beauregard issued an order, and sent a special messenger to Major Anderson, to give him an official notification that no further intercourse between Fort Sumter and the city would be permitted.--Times, April 9. The steam transport Atlantic sailed under sealed orders from New York, laden with troops and provisions. Among the troops is Captain Barry's celebrated company of United States Flying Artillery.--Commercial Advertiser, April 8.
just adjourned, subject to the call of the president. Before adjourning, it passed resolutions approving the conduct of General Twiggs in resigning his commission and turning over the public property under his control to the authorities. Governor Pickens was in secret session with the Convention. About 1,000 troops were sent to the fortifications to-day; 1,800 more go down to-morrow. Messrs. Wigfall, Chesnut, Means, Manning, McGowan, and Boyleston, have received appointments in General Beauregard's staff. A large number of the members of the Convention, after adjournment, volunteered as privates. About 7,000 troops are now at the fortifications. The beginning of the end is coming to a final closing. Fort Sumter will be attacked without waiting for the fleet. Every thing is prepared against a land attack. The enthusiasm is intense, and the eagerness for the conflict, if it must come, unbounded.--N. Y. Day Book. The officers of the District of Columbia militia were ord
ge that the Government at Montgomery was earnestly desirous of peace; and that, in accordance with its instructions, as well as their own feelings, they left no means unexhausted to secure that much-desired end; but all their efforts having failed, they were now forced to return to an outraged people with the object of their mission unaccomplished; and they express the firm conviction that war is inevitable.--(Doc. 51.)--World, April 12. At 2 P. M. Colonel Chesnut and Major Lee, aids to General Beauregard, conveyed to Fort Sumter the demand that Major Anderson should evacuate that fort. Major Anderson replied at 6 P. M. that his sense of honor and his obligations to his Government would prevent his compliance with the demand. He informed the gentlemen verbally that he would be starved out in a few days. It was stated that there were at this time 7,000 men around Fort Sumter under arms, 140 pieces of ordnance of heavy calibre in position and ready for use.--Charleston Mercury.
April 12. At 1 A. M. a second deputation from General Beauregard conveyed to Fort Sumter the message that if Major Anderson would name the time when he would evacuate, and would agree not to fire in the mean time upon the batteries unless they fired upon him, no fire would be opened upon Fort Sumter. To this Major Anderson replied that he would evacuate at noon on the 15th, if not previously otherwise ordered, or not supplied, and that he would not in the mean time open his fire unless compelled by some hostile act against his fort or the flag of his Government. At 3.30 A. M. the officers who received this answer notified Major Anderson that the batteries under command of General Beauregard would open on Fort Sumter in one hour, and immediately left. The sentinels in Sumter were then ordered from the parapets, the posterns were closed, and the men ordered not to leave the bombproofs until summoned by the drum. At 4.30 A. M. fire was opened upon Fort Sumter from Fort Moul
o the fort with a flag of truce, which he wished held up while he spoke; but the batteries did not respect it. He, however, represented himself as an aid of General Beauregard, and agreed for the evacuation of Fort Sumter. It was afterward learned that he had spoken falsely, and had no authority whatever from General Beauregard. General Beauregard. At 12.55 P. M. the flag of Fort Sumter was drawn down, and the fort was surrendered soon after upon honorable terms; the garrison to carry away the flag of the fort, and all company arms and property, and all private property; and all proper facilities to be afforded for their removal to any post in the United States the commann of duty to God; and God had signally blessed their dependence on him. If there is a war, it will be purely a war of self-defence.--Tribune, April 16. General Beauregard, in general orders to-day, congratulates the troops under his command on the brilliant success which has crowned their gallantry, by the reduction of the st
th sections of our unhappy and divided country, and of her grandeur in after days when she has safely outridden the storm which wrecked the frailer sisterhood around her. While he dealt deadly blows to the apologists of dissolution, he spoke cheering words of comfort and assurance to the friends of the Union. He was withering in his denunciation of rebellion, powerful in argument, ready and illustrative in anecdote, and fervid and glowing in eloquence.--Louisville Journal, May 28. Gen. Beauregard issued orders in Charleston, relinquishing command of the forces around Charleston to Col. R. II. Anderson.--Augusta Chronicle, May 28. In the case of John Merryman, a secessionist arrested in Baltimore and detained a prisoner in Fort McHenry, a writ of habeas corpus was issued by Judge Taney, made returnable this day in the United States District Court. Gen. Cadwallader declined surrendering the prisoner till he heard from Washington, and an attachment was issued for Gen. Cadwall
roof of John Tyler's country residence. Lieutenant Duryea, the colonel's son, let down the traitorous emblem, and ran up the Stars and Stripes, which are now flying. The scouting detachment brought in the secession colors to Headquarters, and they were forwarded by Major-General Butler. The flag is a dirty looking affair of red, white, and blue flannel, with eight stars. It is roughly made, the sewing having been done by half-taught fingers.--N. Y. Commercial Advertiser, June 4. Gen. Beauregard arrived at Manassas Junction, and assumed command of the rebel forces there.--N. Y. Times, June 6. At night twelve volunteers from Camp Lincoln, near Leavenworth, Kansas, headed by Sergeant Decurin, of the Elwood Guards, armed with Minie rifles and revolvers, marched to latan, Mo., fourteen miles above Leavenworth city, and crossed in skiffs to capture a secession flag. When asked their purpose, Decurin demanded the flag by the authority of the United States. The flag was hauled
Canton. The amount of the powder on hand was about 3,500 kegs, or 60,000 pounds, valued at $16,000. The agents turned the powder over to the Marshal, who took an inventory of the same. A similar demand, from the same source, was made upon Messrs. A. L. Webb & Bro., Baltimore, agents for the Messrs. Dupont's powder works, Delaware. The demand was complied with, and the powder on hand, a small amount, turned over into the possession of the United States.--Baltimore Sun, June 6. General Beauregard issued a proclamation from Mannassas Junction, giving an extravagant picture of the deplorable consequences to be expected from an invasion of the Federal forces.--(Doc. 234.) At Williamsport a Baltimorean, named Dewitt C. Reuch, swore he could whip the whole Union force, and that he had killed at least one man in the attack upon the Massachusetts Regiment in Baltimore. His friends tried to get him away and put him on a horse, when he drew a revolver and fired two shots at indivi
1 2 3 4