Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for Forrest or search for Forrest in all documents.

Your search returned 30 results in 28 document sections:

1 2 3
uting expedition across Green River, Ky. When they arrived at South Carrollton, the squadrons separated, and the first returned toward Calhoun by way of Sacramento, at which place they were surprised by seven hundred rebels, under command of Colonel Forrest. The troops were fired upon by the rebels before they were aware of their presence, and at first believed they were attacked by Major Megowan, of Col. Jackson's cavalry, through mistake. The officers, though the ranks were broken, rallied n the woods in a dying condition, having stripped him of his watch and rifled his pockets. The Louisville Courier published the following account of this affair: Hopkinsville, Dec. 29. Yesterday (Saturday) evening a detachment of Colonel Forrest's cavalry met the enemy at Sacramento, nine miles from Rumsey, on Green River, and defeated them, after a sharp engagement of half an hour. The Yankees left ten dead on the field, and we took eighteen prisoners, most of them wounded. They
med martial law throughout the State of Kansas, and declared the crime of jayhawking should be put down with a strong hand and summary process. Commander Rowan, with fourteen vessels, left Roanoke Island yesterday afternoon, and at six minutes past nine, this morning, when off Cobb's Point, N. C., he attacked the rebels' squadron, which had fled from Roanoke, under Commander Lynch, and two batteries, mounting five guns. Within twenty minutes a schooner belonging to the enemy, struck her colors, and was burned by her crew; and immediately afterward, the crews of the Powhatan, Fanny, Sea Bird and Forrest, ran them ashore and set fire to them, while those of the Raleigh and Beaufort ran their vessels into the Canal and escaped; the Ellis was captured, and brought away by the Union forces. The battery on Cobb's Point was also abandoned by the enemy, and occupied by acting Master's Mate Raymond during the morning; and before ten o'clock Elizabeth City also surrendered.--(Doc. 33.)
the militia troops stationed there, drove out the Union men, and robbed the stores. Great excitement existed in Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Danville, Frankfort, Covington, and other towns in Kentucky, in anticipation of a visit from the rebel guerrillas under John Morgan. In order to be prepared for such an event, General Boyle, commanding the Union forces at Louisville, issued the following order: It is ordered that every able-bodied man take arms and aid in repelling the marauders. Every man who does not join will remain in his house forty-eight hours, and be shot down if he leaves it. General Ward, commanding at Lexington, issued an order directing that all able-bodied citizens of Lexington and Fayette County are to report themselves at the Court-House Square, in Lexington, forthwith. Those having arms will bring them; those having none will be armed. Murfreesboro, Ky., was captured by the rebel forces under the command of Brig.--General Forrest.--(Doc. 88.)
August 28. A fight took place at Readyville, Tenn., between the Twenty-third Kentucky infantry under the command of Col. Mundy, and a large force of rebel cavalry under Gen. Forrest, resulting in a rout of the latter with heavy loss.--Cincinnati Times. General Schofield at St. Louis, Mo., issued an order assessing five hundred thousand dollars upon secessionists and Southern sympathizers in St. Louis County--the money to be collected without delay, and used in clothing, arming and subsisting the enrolled militia while in active service, and in providing for the support of such families of militiamen as might be left destitute. A severe fight took place at a point six miles west of Centreville, Va., between the National forces under Generals Sigel and McDowell, and the rebels under the command of Gen. Jackson, who was driven back at all points, with a loss of a large number of prisoners.--(Docs. 104 and 199.) City Point, on the James River, Va., was completely des
r which they volunteered having expired.--Lieut. Godfrey Weitzel, of the Engineer Corps, was this day appointed a Brigadier-General.--A meeting called twelve miles south-east of Memphis, Tenn., to organize a guerrilla band, was surrounded and eighteen prisoners were captured by a company of National troops. A skirmish took place near Manchester, Tenn., between a small force of Union infantry, under the command of Captain Miller, Eighteenth Ohio, and a force of rebel cavalry, under General Forrest, resulting in the retreat of the latter, with very heavy loss.--Cincinnati Commercial. A reconnoitring expedition, consisting of two companies of infantry, a battery of two guns, and a small troop of cavalry, under the command of Col. Thomas, Eighth Vermont, left St. Charles Court-House, La., and proceeded to Bonnet Carre where they dispersed, after a short skirmish, a force of rebel guerrillas, and captured over fifteen head of oxen, horses, and mules, which were designed for the
. On the twenty-seventh June last, the rebel Governor, Letcher, of Virginia, issued a proclamation, calling upon the State for a force of ten thousand men, to be commanded by Gen. John B. Floyd, to be employed in the defence of West-Virginia; but the men not being forthcoming, the Governor issued another proclamation under this date, emphatically calling upon all officers of the State, civil and military, to give the necessary aid to expedite the raising of the required troops, and to contribute whatever might be proper to render them effective. A fight took place in the vicinity of McMinnville, Tenn., between a body of Union troops, under the command of Col. Fyffe, Twenty-sixth Ohio, and a superior force of rebel cavalry, under General Forrest, resulting in a rout of the latter, with considerable loss.--(Doc. 196.) The battle at Bull Run, Va., was renewed this day, and General Pope, after a desperate engagement, was compelled to retreat to Centreville, Va.--(Doc. 104.)
October 20. A skirmish took place on the Cumberland River, a few miles from Nashville, Tenn., between a considerable force of rebel cavalry under General Forrest, and a body of Union troops under the command of Colonel Miller, in which the rebels were driven across the river with some loss. A number of prisoners, including a colonel, were taken. Five hundred cases of yellow fever were reported in Wilmington, N. C. The mortality was very great, thirty or forty dying daily. The publication of the Journal newspaper had to be suspended, as almost all the hands necessary to carry on the work were sick with the fever. President Lincoln issued an order establishing a Provisional Court for the State of Louisiana, and appointing Charles A. Peabody, of New York, to be a Provisional Judge to hold the court.--(Doc. 11.) Major Woodson, of the Tenth cavalry, Missouri State militia, attacked a band of rebel guerrillas on Auxvois River, dispersed them, killing and wounding sev
December 18. Lexington, Ky., was this day entered and occupied by a large force of rebel troops under General Forrest. Before capturing the town the rebels encountered a body of Union troops under the command of Colonel R. G. Ingersoll, Eleventh Illinois cavalry, but after a fight of three hours duration, in which the rebels lost forty of their number killed and wounded, the Unionists were forced to yield, leaving two pieces of artillery in the hands of the rebels. Yesterday the steamer Mill Boy, while lying at Commerce, Miss., was fired into by a body of rebel cavalry, killing three persons. On arriving at Helena, Ark., the Mill Boy reported the fact, when the gunboat Juliet, and transport City Belle, with detachments of the Eleventh and Forty-seventh Indiana, were despatched to Commerce, where they arrived to-day, and burnt the town and plantations for five miles around.
te property was carried off or destroyed. The garrison surrendered after a very short resistance.--(Doc. 79.) A skirmish occurred near Halltown, Va., between a detachment of Union cavalry, under the command of Captain Vernon, and a body of rebel guerrillas. After a short fight the rebels were routed, leaving three of their number in the hands of the Unionists.--Frederick Examiner (Md.). Trenton and Humboldt, Tenn., were this day entered and captured by the rebel forces under General Forrest. They burned the depots, and all the Government stores they could not carry off.--(Doc. 80.) A train of wagons, twenty-seven in number, laden with provisions for the army of the Potomac, and a guard of one hundred and seventy men, were captured near Occoquan, Va., by a detachment of rebel cavalry under the command of General Wade Hampton.--Richmond Dispatch, December 24. The expeditionary army under command of Major-General W. T. Sherman, embarked at Memphis, Tenn., in over o
exandria Railroad, and captured or destroyed large quantities of National stores.--Richmond Dispatch, January 3, 1863. The iron-clad steamer Monitor, Commander Bankhead, sprung a leak and foundered a few miles south of Cape Hatteras, N. C. Four officers and twelve men were lost in her.--(Doc. 93.) The battle of Parker's Cross-Roads, Tenn., was this day fought between a detachment of Union troops, under the command of Colonel C. L. Dunham, and a large rebel cavalry force, under General Forrest. After a desperate conflict of several hours' duration, during which neither party obtained the victory, General Sullivan arrived on the field with reinforcements, and attacked the rebels, routing them with great slaughter.--(Doc. 94.) The battle of Stone River, or Murfreesboro, Tenn., fought by the Union army of the Cumberland, under the command of Major-General Rosecrans, and the rebel forces under General Bragg, commenced early this morning. After a desperate conflict of more
1 2 3