hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity (current method)
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
United States (United States) 702 0 Browse Search
Doc 416 0 Browse Search
Fredericksburgh (New York, United States) 318 4 Browse Search
Murfreesboro (Tennessee, United States) 263 15 Browse Search
Washington (United States) 238 14 Browse Search
Vicksburg (Mississippi, United States) 229 7 Browse Search
James G. Blunt 163 1 Browse Search
Fitz-Hugh Lee 150 2 Browse Search
Robert L. McCook 149 1 Browse Search
Edgefield (Tennessee, United States) 149 7 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 6. (ed. Frank Moore). Search the whole document.

Found 805 total hits in 319 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
manding the Irish Brigade. Colonel Stevens's report. headquarters Thirteenth regiment N. H. Vols., opposite Fredericksburgh, Va., December 22, 1862. To His Excellency Nathaniel S. Berry, Governor of New-Hampshire: sir: I have the honor to report to you the operations of the regiment under my command since their departure from Camp Casey, near Fairfax Seminary, Virginia, including the battle of Fredericksburgh, on the thirteenth inst. My regiment moved from Camp Casey on the first inst., with the First brigade of Casey's division, consisting of the Fifteenth Connecticut, Thirteenth New-Hampshire, Twelfth Rhode Island, and Twenty-fifth and Twenty-seventh New-Jersey volunteers, under command of the senior Colonel, Dexter R. Wright, of the Fifteenth Connecticut volunteers. The first day we reached Uniontown, some two miles southerly from Washington City. We encamped the second day near Piscataway, and the third day about six miles northerly from Port Tobacco. We passed
concerning the conduct and fortune of this regiment, I send you a brief narrative of the part which we took on that occasion. At two o'clock A. M. of the eleventh instant, we received orders to be in readiness to march, and at half-past 6 o'clock we left camp, and the left of Gen. Sully's brigade took position in the rear of a officers for duty, under command of Major J. E. Ward. At a point near our camp the work of laying a double pontoon-bridge was commenced before day-light on the eleventh, but when about half completed the engineers were driven away from their work by the fire of the enemy's sharp-shooters, who were concealed in cellars and rifle-ve been days of excitement and interest to the army of the Potomac. They will be memorable in history when you and I are dead. On Thursday morning of the eleventh instant, our brigade moved from camp toward Fredericksburgh, six or eight miles distant. It was a clear, beautiful, cold morning, and the stars shone as brightly as
eg ; Eleazur B. Holmes, foot, badly; Joseph Crane, arm, slight. Company G--Corporal John C. Sholes, arm, badly; privates, S. S. Basna, side, badly; Rodger Noble, lost a hand. Thomas H. Hunt, Major Commanding Seventh Michigan Volunteers. Colonel Potter's letter. headquarters Fifty-First regiment N. Y. Volunteers, opposite Fredericksburgh, December 16, 1862. my dear----: We started to attack Fredericksburgh and the enemy's works in the rear of it, on the morning of Friday, the twelfth, and experienced so much difficulty in getting the pontoons across, that at headquarters they began to despair. Finally, part of the Seventh Michigan, and I believe, Twentieth Massachusetts, crossed in boats, and driving the enemy from the buildings at the tete de pont, the bridge was completed. Gen. Franklin, I believe, had no trouble crossing his men, as he got his bridges over early and without much opposition. That day we lay in Fredericksburgh, having crossed early in the morning.
n by my brigade in the action of Saturday, the thirteenth inst. On the Thursday morning previous, December ttle before eight o'clock A. M., Saturday, the thirteenth inst., we received orders to fall in and prepare insncluding the battle of Fredericksburgh, on the thirteenth inst. My regiment moved from Camp Casey on the fi artillery in front. On the morning of the thirteenth instant, we were relieved from picket-duty, but sent ss, particularly during the operations of the thirteenth instant, was owing, in a great measure, to his eminenrs in the battle near Fredericksburgh, on the thirteenth instant. Pursuant to orders from General Kimball, ers performed picket-duty. On the morning of the thirteenth, I received marching orders from division headquaghth New-York volunteers in the action of the thirteenth instant: After crossing the Rappahannock in the foacked arms, and remained until the morning of the thirteenth, when we were again moved down by the bank of til
. The coolness and good conduct of officers and men during these trying hours were beyond praise. Drawn in at length, the regiment remained for the night and the following day as a support for the line of pickets. On the night of the fourteenth instant, I was ordered by General Howard (our division commander) to take the First Minnesota and four other regiments (which had been placed under my command) and picket the most exposed portion of the line. Owing to the darkness and proximity tos officers and seventy-nine of its men were wounded, and fourteen killed. Within an hour after this heavy loss the regiment marched again in perfect order to the front line of battle, and remained on the battle-field until seven P. M. on the fourteenth. This morning we are again on the front line, officers and men in fine spirits and ready to meet the enemy. The number of enlisted men was three hundred and fifty-five. The officers present did their duty nobly, leading their companies
ll the men of this regiment stood the ordeal. We were relieved from picket-duty about nine o'clock P. M., of the fifteenth instant, and after about an hour's rest, marched back across the river to our old camp. The men had been five days and n when we were ordered to return to the city and resume our former position in Caroline street. On the morning of the fifteenth, Major Ward was compelled to retire from the field on account of illness, and the command of the regiment devolved upon Capt. H. M. Hoyt. About eleven A. M. on the fifteenth, the regiment was ordered to the front of our lines to strengthen and extend the advanced line of videttes under Capt. Charles L. Upham, of the Sixteenth Connecticut volunteers. We remained hen-bridge was finished and this wing of the army crossed, and did not ourselves recross again until the night of the fifteenth instant. The following is a list of casualties of the Seventh infantry volunteers, on the eleventh and thirteenth of Dec
I could use would be poor, should I attempt to express my feelings of satisfaction and pride at the conduct of the officers and men of my command, during this arduous struggle. They have won additional honor for themselves and their chosen State. My health begins to fail again under the severities of the service, and at the earnest recommendation of the surgeon, I came to this city for medical advice and rest. I expect to rejoin my regiment again in a few days. I left camp on the eighteenth instant. Respectfully your obedient servant, G. N. Morgan, Colonel First Minnesota. Lieutenant-Colonel Sawyer's report. in camp near Falmouth, Va., December 16, 1862. Captain E. D. Mason, A. A.A. General, etc.: sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Eighth regiment Ohio volunteers in the battle near Fredericksburgh, on the thirteenth instant. Pursuant to orders from General Kimball, I reported with my regiment to Col. Mason, Fourth Ohio
g treated in hospitals. I am glad to represent the army at the present time in good condition. Thanking the Government for that entire support and confidence which I have always received from them, I remain, General, very respectfully, your obedient servant, A. E. Burnside, Major-General Commanding Army of the Potomac. headquarters of the army of the Potomac, Falmouth, December 23, 1862. Major-General H. W. Halleck, General-in-Chief, Washington: In my report to you of the nineteenth instant, the number of our wounded was stated at about nine thousand, and the number receiving hospital treatment at one thousand six hundred and thirty. Both of these amounts are wrong. On the authority of Dr. Letterman, our medical director, the whole number of wounded is between six and seven thousand. About one half of these are receiving treatment in the hospitals. A. E. Burnside, Major-General Commanding Army of the Potomac. Proclamation of President Lincoln. Executive mansi
eration of the Quartermaster of the Port, Mr. Knapp had a building erected adjoining our portable storehouse, which affords shelter and a good bed to nearly a hundred every night. Our field operations have gradually diminished with the removal of the wounded. The details of the number of articles received and issued, the hospitals to which they were issued, with the quantity in each case, and the acknowledgment of the surgeon, together with the account of the stock on hand on the twenty-fourth instant, I beg leave to present in the accompanying schedule. Our supplies were brought up from Acquia Creek in every case in charge of a special messenger. By the schedule it will be seen that all the division hospitals were visited and supplies furnished to them on requisition. Besides this supplies were also issued to a number of brigade hospitals, and to over fifty regimental hospitals previous to my leaving on the twenty-fourth December. The issue to regimental and brigade hospitals
October 30th (search for this): chapter 27
brigade hospitals, and to over fifty regimental hospitals previous to my leaving on the twenty-fourth December. The issue to regimental and brigade hospitals was continued by Dr. Andrew after my departure, an account of which will be hereafter furnished. I cannot close my report without referring you to the organization of the Medical Corps of the army during and subsequent to the last battle. The plan proposed by the Medical Director of the army of the Potomac, in his circular of October thirtieth, was first successfully carried into operation at this time. I respectfully refer you to that circular. Respectfully, J. H. Douglas, Assoc. Sec. Sanitary Commission. Chaplain A. H. Lung's letter. camp near Fredericksburgh, Va., headquarters Thirty-Third N. Y. V., Dec. 23, 1862. General Granger: my dear friend: The last few days have been days of excitement and interest to the army of the Potomac. They will be memorable in history when you and I are dead. On Thursda
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...