hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position (current method)
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
July 31st, 1861 AD 163 163 Browse Search
Boston (Massachusetts, United States) 159 159 Browse Search
O. F. Nims 112 0 Browse Search
August 11th, 1865 AD 108 108 Browse Search
August 16th, 1864 AD 83 83 Browse Search
Ormand F. Nims 57 13 Browse Search
James 50 0 Browse Search
Ormand Nims 41 1 Browse Search
Baltimore, Md. (Maryland, United States) 36 0 Browse Search
Port Hudson (Louisiana, United States) 36 0 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Caroline E. Whitcomb, History of the Second Massachusetts Battery of Light Artillery (Nims' Battery): 1861-1865, compiled from records of the Rebellion, official reports, diaries and rosters. Search the whole document.

Found 1,144 total hits in 346 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Orleans, Ma. (Massachusetts, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
rtillery of the 19th Army Corps, Col. A. L. Lee, and was made a member of Colonel Lee's staff. The first parade of these batteries as horse artillery (at which Nims' Battery held the post of honor), took place September 5, and was witnessed by Generals Banks, Arnold, Franklin and many other officers. The following letter, a copy of which was found among Colonel Nims' papers, is a proof of their high opinion of this new organization. Office, Chief of Artillery, Qrs. Dept. of the Gulf, Orleans, September 7, 1863. Capt. O. F. Nims, Chief of Artillery, 19th Army Corps. Sir:— It becomes my great pleasure to communicate to yourself and the batteries under your command on the 5th inst., the high commendation of the Commanding General of the Department of the Gulf and the Adjutant General of the United States Army. They were pleased to express the belief that no artillery in the service could be more thorough in their equipments and general appointments. Please communicate th
Wollaston Heights (Massachusetts, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
tment. Every member, officers and men, was the greenest of raw material, but they were an intelligent set of fellows and took to drilling as a duck to water. Colonel Nims. Most of the men were from Boston and vicinity. The first public appearance of the battery was on June 17, when a parade was held on Boston Common, and on July 4 a detachment fired a salute at morning, noon and night from the same historic spot. On July 5 the battery was ordered to the camp of instruction at Wollaston Heights, Quincy, on what was known as the Adams estate, which consequently gave to the camp the name of Camp Adams. Here for a month, the men were drilled in all the movements from the position of a soldier to battery drill in the field and also as infantry and cavalry. Target practise, too, was introduced and for that purpose targets were placed at several points with reference to distance and correctness in shooting. These afforded an excellent opportunity for the men to become familiar
Yorktown (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
d the new helper lying behind the Minnesota but looking rather insignificant. About eight o'clock the Merrimac came saucily out accompanied by the Jamestown and Yorktown, wooden steamers and evidently expecting to have it all her own way as on the previous afternoon. As she approached the Minnesota the new comer came out from b Fort Monroe there was a grand review of all the troops by General Wool and also during their stay General McClellan's army of 125,000 marched by on their way to Yorktown. Speaking of the stay at Fort Monroe, Captain Russell writes: This was one of the most trying times for the battery. We were all anxious to get to the front somewhere and while encamped here, along came the Army of the Potomac on the way to Yorktown. Day after day a continuous stream of men and batteries passed us calling to us Come on, get into the swim with us. While here the battery had an opportunity to compete with one of the regulars in target practise. Several Confederate s
United States (United States) (search for this): chapter 3
31st of July, the command was mustered into the United States service under the name of the 2d Massachusetts Lto service the men were provided with regulation United States uniforms. The guns were fine United States brUnited States bronze ordnance guns from the Watervliet Arsenal, N. Y., rifled at Alger's Foundry in South Boston and throwing ands of salt, thus making them independent of the United States or England. The next morning the march was refor support, for it is the finest battery in the United States. One historian in relating this incident says, sh of the 2d Battery died of this disease at the United States Hospital on May 13. On the 18th of June, Lieutedetachment of the company, and were taken to the United States Hotel, where a handsome breakfast was served. Tin the State House, and were mustered out of the United States service August 16, 1864. While this marks theuly 22, when it turned its equipment over to the United States authorities and set out for home. Boston was
Cumberland (Maryland, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
Monroe camping near Hampton in view of the mouth of the James River and of Hampton Roads. Here the men witnessed the destruction of the warships Congress and Cumberland by the ram Merrimac and the encounter between the Monitor and the Merrimac. The following interesting account of the same is taken from a record written by S. Py were all wooden ones and could make scarcely any impression on the ironplated monster. After about an hour's hard fighting the Merrimac ran her prow into the Cumberland, causing her to fill with water and rendering her useless. Commodore Morris would not surrender nor haul down the flag but kept at work at the guns till watef Sewall's Point. That was a dark night for us, as with one exception nothing looked hopeful. We were cut off from help landward, the Congress was burned, the Cumberland sunk, the Minnesota was aground and the Roanoke helpless with a broken shaft, while nothing seemed to check the ram at all. About midnight the Congress blew up.
Irish Bend (Louisiana, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
ieces of artillery opened fire and a sharp skirmish ensued in which the Union men took quite a number of prisoners. The next day, shortly after daylight, the division again advanced and early in the morning met a strong force of the enemy at Irish Bend, a sharp bend in the Teche. Here a battle took place and after two hours fighting the enemy was obliged to retreat leaving many dead on the field and about 100 prisoners. For the next few days an advance was made, constant skirmishing going onn the Hall of Flags. It is of a golden bronze color, and on it are the crossed cannon of the battery, the words Second Massachusetts over the state shield and the names of twelve battles in which the battery took part. Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Irish Bend, Vermillion Bayou, Port Hudson, Clinton, Carrion Crow Bayou, Grand Coteau, Vermillionville, Indian Bend, Wilson's Farm, Sabine Cross Roads. As the time of enlistment of the original members was about to expire and as new recruits were coming
Brashear City (Louisiana, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
swamps and lakes, but there is a road from Brashear City to Alexandria and along this road lay the attempt be made to resume the movement to Brashear City. Accordingly, on the 27th of March the ldsonville, whence it marched over-land to Brashear City, the trip beginning the 31st and ending tith General Grover's division started from Brashear City and proceeded up the Atchafalaya River. Tdame Porter's plantation thirty miles from Brashear City. While effecting a landing about 250 Confere was collected and sent to New Orleans via Brashear upward of 6000 bales of cotton, large quantithe company who had been taken prisoners at Brashear City, while in hospital there, arrived and wereto advance under Gen. C. C. Washburne from Brashear City to Opelousas, to give the impression that s on September 18 and the next day reached Brashear City, which had been evacuated by the Confederarce was moved out to Franklin, half way to Brashear City, and there made winter quarters. The road[1 more...]
Eastville (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
, Vol. 5, p. 431. to the inhabitants of Accomac and Northampton counties, Virginia, urging them to peace and loyalty. To enforce this proclamation General Lockwood with his brigade left Newtown and went by way of Drummondtown and Belleville to Eastville toward the end of the peninsula. The battery arrived at Drummondtown, November 21. This was Thanksgiving Day and we read, Poultry very plenty on the way. Bought (?) two turkeys and a goose for our dinner. Grand mistake of Corporal S. in boiling a chicken with a bar of soap. On the way from Drummondtown to Eastville scouting parties were sent out and in these the members of the battery took part capturing seven six-pound guns, several hundred muskets, ammunition, and a brass twelve-pound Howitzer which had been buried in the woods. December 1, a grand review was held by General Lockwood. As it was evident the Confederate forces had left the country and the purpose of the expedition had been accomplished, preparations were
Claiborne, Ala. (Alabama, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
its march through the woods and swamps of Florida toward Mobile. Rain fell most of the time and the mud was unfathomable. Fighting its way from point to point wherever troops could fight, the battery finally reached Fort Blakely on April 2. It was necessary to take this point before proceeding to Mobile, and after waiting a few days the place was finally taken by assault on April 9, 1865. After the fall of Fort Blakely the battery started with a column of infantry and cavalry toward Claiborne, Ala. Its last serious conflict was at Daniel's Landing on the 11th. For the next seven weeks the battery was almost constantly on the march until men, horses, and mules were completely worn out. Late in May, Columbus, Miss., was reached. The men were sent to Mobile and then on to Vicksburg, which they reached on June 4. Since landing in Florida they had traveled over 1600 miles. The company encamped at Vicksburg till July 22, when it turned its equipment over to the United States aut
Whitehaven (Maryland, United States) (search for this): chapter 3
orthy appreciation. Within a fortnight one of them, a young man of Boston, led to the altar a daughter of one of the most respectable and wealthy Union citizens of Baltimore. One of the lieutenants and two privates have also enjoyed the pleasure of married life. On the 4th of November the battery, together with the 4th Wisconsin Regiment, Col. H. E. Paine, and an independent company of Pennsylvania cavalry, Captain Richards, started on an expedition down the Chesapeake, landing at Whitehaven, Md., on the Wiacomo River and marching to Princess Ann where they spent the night in the court house. The next day, the march was continued to Snow Hill. On that day, the men experienced some of the minor hardships of a soldier's life, for we read in the diary of George Houghton: A very hard march in the rain over awful roads of sand and mud and the last two miles the water two feet deep. Some of the infantry gave out as this was their first experience and we took them on our wagons a
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...