hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position (current method)
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) 152 0 Browse Search
Paul Revere 126 0 Browse Search
New Bern (North Carolina, United States) 97 11 Browse Search
Fredericksburg, Va. (Virginia, United States) 91 5 Browse Search
United States (United States) 90 0 Browse Search
Colorado (Colorado, United States) 82 0 Browse Search
James Lowell 80 2 Browse Search
Fletcher Webster 76 0 Browse Search
Temple 74 0 Browse Search
Edward Abbott 73 1 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies. Search the whole document.

Found 759 total hits in 287 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Fort Albany (Canada) (search for this): chapter 25
of time, he finally received a commission as Assistant Surgeon in the Fourteenth Massachusetts Volunteers, commanded by Colonel W. B. Greene, then stationed at Fort Albany; and in February, 1862, he joined the regiment. As month after month rolled by, and while other regiments passed to the front, the Fourteenth still remained he knew he would give his parents, would willingly have taken any position which would bring him into more active service. The dull routine of his duties at Fort Albany was, however, unexpectedly interrupted in August, 1862, by an order sent to Colonel Greene to join the Army of the Potomac, and advance towards the enemy. Dr. riting home, said that Colonel Greene had given him a very handsome letter of recommendation. After an absence of about three weeks, the regiment returned to Fort Albany, much to the disappointment of Dr. Mason, which disappointment was enhanced by the resignation of Colonel Greene, which took place shortly afterwards. Early in
Kingston, N. H. (New Hampshire, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
fence of his country as those noble companions of his who fell in the field; and would probably have found with them a soldier's grave. Henry Lyman Patten. Second Lieutenant 20th Mass. Vols. (Infantry), November 25, 1861; first Lieutenant, October 1, 1862; Captain, May 1, 1863; Major, June 20, 1864; died at Philadelphia, Pa., September 10, 1864, of a wound received at deep Bottom, Va., August 17. Henry Lyman Patten, of the Twentieth Massachusetts Volunteers, was born in Kingston, New Hampshire, on the 4th of April, 1836. His father, Colcord Patten, and his mother, Maria (Fletcher) Patten, were substantial New England people, whose children (Henry being the youngest) have all become worthy citizens. His early life gave bright promise of distinction. His singularly quick intelligence and love of books caused him, after the usual course of district schools, to be sent to the public Latin School of Boston. Thence, having graduated with high honors and prizes as a medal sc
West Point (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
town on the 8th of April, and remained there until the evacuation of that place on the 4th of May. The regiment took no part in the actions at Williamsburg and West Point. They went up the York and Pamunkey to White House. On the 25th, Lowell writes from Chickahominy Creek, regretting that he is not in the advance with his brotithin that space would be very thick. At Yorktown we saw the Rebels far off in their works, and occasionally saw and felt their bullets and shells . . . . . At West Point we were held as a reserve; and the reserves not being called into action, because the first line and the gunboats drove the Rebels back, we scarcely saw the evoin April, 1862. At Yorktown, Lieutenant Patten got his first sight of siege and battle. Thence Sedgwick's division was despatched in the column which occupied West Point; but the Twentieth was only drawn up in support in the action there. The whole of Sumner's corps was now north of the Chickahominy, while those of Keyes and He
Oak Grove (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
ed forward. . . . We think we are gaining ground upon the Rebels, not merely because we are not losing it (at first we were content with that), but because we beat them generally in the skirmishes. But it is very hard to learn the truth about these little fights; some men talk one way, some the other, and one can rarely tell which to believe . . . . I don't wish to be shot in a skirmish or on picket, but in a real fight, if I am to be hit again . . . . The fighting yesterday [at Oak Grove] was quite severe, and the loss quite heavy; but we still hold our advanced position. To-day our part of the lines has been quiet; but there has been very heavy cannonading, and probably a severe battle on our right in Porter's corps [Mechanicsville]. It is rumored that he has driven back Stonewall Jackson, and turned the left flank of the enemy; and all our camps have rung with cheers since dark. But the Rebel bands are playing away vigorously in front, perhaps for a reported victory; p
Chickahominy Creek (Oregon, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
. . I determined to do what I could to get recruits; but I can do very well without them if I must. On the 11th of March the Twentieth left the camp at Poolesville, and were transferred to the Peninsula. They reached Yorktown on the 8th of April, and remained there until the evacuation of that place on the 4th of May. The regiment took no part in the actions at Williamsburg and West Point. They went up the York and Pamunkey to White House. On the 25th, Lowell writes from Chickahominy Creek, regretting that he is not in the advance with his brother. The severe fighting at Fair Oaks occurred on Saturday, the 31st of May, and Sunday, the 1st of June. The Twentieth was engaged the first day, but was not in the worst of the fight; on Sunday they were only spectators. Lowell describes as follows what he saw of the affair of Saturday, in a letter to a young friend:— We have at last been engaged in a regular battle, though the Rebels have been so shy in using their big
Minnesota (Minnesota, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
, did he succumb to the irresistible decree. In July, 1862, he was forced to resign his commission and return home. He was a wreck indeed. His associates hardly recognized in that wan, haggard form their hale companion of former days. In the comforts of home he gained some strength, and then spent the summer months quietly in the salubrious air of Southern New Hampshire. But his health receiving no permanent improvement, he sought a drier climate, and passed the winter and spring in Minnesota. There he obtained small relief. The malady had made too deep an inroad to be stayed by aught that wealth could provide or science suggest. In May, attended by a brother, he returned to his father's house, fully impressed with the certainty of impending dissolution. But the same warm heart and patriot spirit dwelt in his shattered frame. Slowly wasting and dying as the days ran on, he continued constantly happy and sociable. With affectionate invitations he called his friends to his
North Anna (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
march, led his regiment in every battle, and attracted the notice of the corps and division Headquarters by his extraordinary intrepidity and steadiness. He fought through the Wilderness on May 5th and 6th; through the running fight to Spottsylvania; through the fierce battle of the 10th at the latter point; the battle of the 12th, memorable as the fiercest and most deadly struggle of the war; through the murderous battle of the 18th, and all the days and nights intervening. He fought at North Anna, and again at Cold Harbor, where Hancock alone lost three thousand men in less than an hour,—that unmatched charnel-house of the war. When the overland campaign was abandoned, he fought his shadow of a regiment three days before Petersburg, on the 16th, 17th, and 18th of June, and then moved down in the column which attacked the Weldon Railroad. His escape from these perils was amazing, since he was invariably reckless in exposing himself to fire. At length, on the 22d of June, after a s
Malvern Hill (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
giment agree that he was universally beloved by his comrades, both officers and men. He was for a considerable time the only commissioned officer in his company, and his devotion to it was invariable. When they were stationed for some weeks near Washington, where he had many friends, he resolutely declined all their invitations, with a single exception, saying that his duty required his constant presence with his men. When he found he was too ill to go into action with his company at Malvern Hill, he burst into tears. He went with his regiment to the Peninsula, returned with it, and received his death wound at the battle of Antietam. The closing scenes of his life are best described by his brother-in-law, George Frisbie Hoar, Esq., who was with him in his last hours:— He joined his regiment in the fall of 1861. I never saw him again until I was summoned to Hagerstown after the battle of Antietam. He was dressing the line of his company, about nine o'clock of the morning
Beaufort, N. C. (North Carolina, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
o be the force which would eventually decide the national conflict, and he entered the service in full expectation of active duty and perilous fortunes. But his steamer was assigned to the monotonous though important blockade off Wilmington and Beaufort. Deeply disappointed that his commander had not received a roving commission, Richardson still applied himself cheerfully and assiduously to the requirements of his position. The audacity of the blockade-runners, their familiarity with shiftinour crews. Ceaseless quest and toilsome traversing the same ocean wastes was the lot of the patient blockaders, watching and circling, like scattered sea-gulls, along their prescribed line of coast. When the notorious Nashville was waiting at Beaufort, ready to dart from her refuge and speed once more upon her hazardous voyage, tedious days and anxious nights of sentinel watch, anchored at the mouth of one narrow outlet, formed a part of the duty of the Cambridge. The lively, adventurous tem
Chancellorsville (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 25
e and fled from the field. In this two days attempt on Fredericksburg, it lost one hundred and fifty-seven killed and wounded, out of the scanty three hundred and seven to which the Peninsula and Antietam had brought it down. Patten was one of the two or three officers who were in the thickest of all and escaped unhurt. But we must, henceforth, abandon details, and hurry into lines what is worthy of volumes. The next great action for the Twentieth, and consequently for Patten, was Chancellorsville, where the division (the Second of the Second Corps) was assigned to General Sedgwick's famous column on the left, which carried Fredericksburg, stormed Marye's Heights, threatening Lee's whole army with destruction, and, when Hooker had failed like Burnside, held the line of outposts till all had recrossed the river. Meade now succeeded, and Gettysburg was fought. In that tremendous battle the Twentieth, as usual, was under the hottest fire. It was in that division, for example,
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...