hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position (current method)
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) 152 0 Browse Search
Paul Revere 126 0 Browse Search
New Bern (North Carolina, United States) 97 11 Browse Search
Fredericksburg, Va. (Virginia, United States) 91 5 Browse Search
United States (United States) 90 0 Browse Search
Colorado (Colorado, United States) 82 0 Browse Search
James Lowell 80 2 Browse Search
Fletcher Webster 76 0 Browse Search
Temple 74 0 Browse Search
Edward Abbott 73 1 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Harvard Memorial Biographies. Search the whole document.

Found 968 total hits in 397 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Fort Pierre (South Dakota, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
on't know myself, except that we are about one hundred miles from Fort Randall and fifty from Fort Pierre, on the banks of the Big muddy, as the Missouri is fairly called. We are certainly as much ineral Sully is an old soldier, and if mortal man can be pushed through, we shall go. above Fort Pierre, July, 1863. Think of this letter travelling over a wilderness of two hundred miles to Fnged buckskin. If it comes safely to you, you may know he is a good Indian. When we reached Fort Pierre, Major Ten Broeck's battalion received us with open arms, and Company B rushed out with most writes:— It was in the first of the month of August that we commenced our march up from Fort Pierre. I was with your son every day, and he was happy and cheerful. He was away on several scoutried in a pleasant spot on the bank of the river, under a large oak-tree, fifteen miles above Fort Pierre. Another friend, writing after his death, says:— During the whole of our fatiguing
Cambridge (Massachusetts, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
has been a teacher for quite a period of his life. Then he carried on business in Boston. . . . . In the financial crisis of 1857 he failed, and is still involved, to some degree, in the troubles resulting there from. This has made me difficulty in my educational course, though no serious hardship; nothing which I am not better for. My mother before her marriage was Clarissa Goodhue. She was daughter of Stephen Goodhue, who resided in Hebron, New Hampshire, and afterwards in Newton, Massachusetts. . . . My college course has been attended with difficulties, more or less (of a pecuniary kind), all the way. I have depended on the College somewhat for assistance. I practised economy by way of boarding myself for a while towards the commencement of the course, and I held the office of monitor in the Junior year. Last winter (1860-61) I taught school fourteen weeks in Putnamsville, Danvers. It was a very pleasant school indeed. I like the business of teaching so much that
Meherrin (United States) (search for this): chapter 28
ginally of Saxon descent. . . . . The name is a very rare one, borne, I think, only by our own family. My father has examined a great many lists of English names, and found in one gazetteer the name Gholston. The Pretender at one time assumed the name of Gholston. Before the Revolutionary War the Gholsons were settled in Orange County, Virginia, at the residence lately occupied by Philip P. Barbour. One of the sons, Thomas, my great grandfather, moved to Brunswick County, near the Meherrin River, and gave the name to a town there, Gholsonville. His third son, Thomas Gholson, Jr., my immediate ancestor, was born in 1780, married Miss Ann Yates, was a member of Congress from 1807 until his death, July 4, 1816, leaving three children, of whom my father was the eldest. Daniel Wright, my great-grandfather, on the mother's side, lived in Virginia. His son, Daniel Wright, my grandfather, moved to Mississippi, and married Miss Martha Patrick, a celebrated beauty and most estimable l
Gettysburg (Pennsylvania, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
eath was no disappointment, but rather the entrance upon the consummation of his soul's highest hopes. John Lyman Fenton. Private 9th Mass. Battery, August 5, 1862; Sergeant; died at Baltimore, July 28, 1863, of a wound received at Gettysburg, Pa., July 2. John Lyman Fenton, son of Orrin and Mehitable J (White) Fenton, was born in Mansfield, Connecticut, March 5, 1835. He was the youngest of a family of four. When he was about a year old, his father removed to Dixfield, Maine, anreer, terminating, as it began, on the outpost of civilized life. Thomas Rodman Robeson. Second Lieutenant 2d Mass. Vols. (Infantry,) May 28, 1861; first Lieutenant, November 30, 1861; Captain, August 10, 1862 died July 6, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pa., July 3. Thomas Rodman Robeson was born in New Bedford, November 7, 1840. He was a son of Thomas Rodman and Sibyl (Washburn) Robeson. Through his mother he was a descendant of Roger Williams. His father was long engaged in the shipping
Racine (Wisconsin, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
and he died for his country. Henry Jonus Doolittle Captain and A. D. C. (U. S. Vols.), April, 1862; died at Racine, Wis., August 10, 1862, of disease contracted in the service. Henry Jonas Doolittle was born March 4, 1839, in Rochester,the charge of Mr. Horace Briggs. My father removed to Wisconsin. When I was twelve I entered the school of one Stow, in Racine, and began Latin. In about one year I was put under the charge of Rev. Roswell Park, D. D., who opened a school at RRacine, under a charter from the State incorporating Racine College. I continued at school here until I was seventeen. I then left for one year; and during the summer months I worked with a party of engineers on the construction of the Racine and Mif 1861 he spent in Washington with his father, Senator Doolittle of Wisconsin. He soon, however, returned to his home in Racine, and engaged in the study of law. He also acted as military instructor to two companies of Wisconsin troops,—one the comp
Frederick, Md. (Maryland, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
ot know what a joke cavalry fighting was. I let them come up to within a hundred yards, and then gave them a volley which dropped a lot of them, and away they went, except one battalion, which dismounted and deployed on foot. I took a horse and two rifles. . . . . We are entirely isolated here, and have not had a mail or newspaper for a week, or a change of clothes or a blanket for more than two. On May 26th the Second Massachusetts crossed the Potomac on pontoons and arrived at Frederick, Maryland, on May 28th. Here General Meade took command of the army. The Second became engaged in the battle of Gettysburg on July 2d. Captain Robeson was fatally wounded on the morning of Friday, July 3d, the last day of the battle. From an early hour on that morning his company (Company E) had been posted as skirmishers in advance of the regiment, and had been lying concealed behind stones and logs in an open field. One of his men was shot in the leg while they were thus posted, and sever
Worcester (Massachusetts, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
ng, but soon rubbed the conditions off. The first vacation I spent with my relatives in Wyoming County. The next term I trained with other members of my Class for the race to come off at Springfield in July, 1858. Owing to the death of one of the Yale crew by drowning, the race was given up. I trained the next term for rowing. We pulled in the Juniata at the celebration of the anniversary of the battle of Bunker Hill, our boat taking the second prize. In July following I pulled at Worcester in the College Regatta. Our boat (the Avon) was beaten by the shell boats (being a lap-streak), but beat the others of the same class. If any member of the Class of 1861 had been asked, at the time of graduation, which of our number would be the first to fall by the hand of disease, perhaps the subject of this brief sketch would have been the last to be selected. His large and powerful frame, his strong constitution made still firmer by athletic habits, seemed to promise him a life
Mount Jackson (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
one day's ration and be ready to march at four, leaving tents and baggage. So I put a tooth-brush and a silk pocket-handkerchief in my pocket, and sent my overcoat to an ambulance, and at four we were off. The Rebels were known to be at Mount Jackson, about eight miles off, and we were in great hopes that they would make a stand there. We arrived there about ten without seeing any signs of the Rebels except their old camps and half a dozen burning bridges and any quantity of railroad cars and engines. We halted at Mount Jackson about two hours, when the scouts brought in word that Jackson was preparing to make a stand about five miles on. So General Shields's division started, on the main road, and our brigade was sent round to the right to try and outflank him. . . . . Jackson saw immediately what we were about, and left, and that is the last that has been seen of him, while we, after marching twenty-one miles through woods and swamps and rivers and everything you can imagi
Chester, N. H. (New Hampshire, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
oubt that he would have made for himself a place among the most honored public men of his State. Stephen Goodhue Emerson. Private 1st Mass. Vols. (Infantry), July, 1862; killed at Chancellorsville, Va., May 3, 1863. the following extracts are taken from the autobiography of Stephen Emerson in the Class-Book. They are given at some length, because in no other way can the traits of his simple and manly nature so well be shown. I was born on the 17th of July, 1838, in Chester, New Hampshire. My father's name was Nathaniel French Emerson, and he was also a native of this town, as well as my grandfather, John Emerson. Up to 1858 my father owned a large farm in Chester, and I was brought up a farmer's boy, which I have always esteemed a circumstance to congratulate myself on, though, in many respects, likely enough, it was not so. At any rate, they were happy years, and gave me, perhaps, a good degree of bodily strength, and a great mass of pleasant recollections pertain
Louisville (Kentucky, United States) (search for this): chapter 28
oyed in scouting and picketing. On the 13th of September their station was Tunnel Batteries, Kentucky, near Cincinnati. On the 23d they went from Covington to Louisville, which they found in chaos, owing to the disorderly arrival of Buell's retreating army. In four days the regiment was placed in as many different brigades, and with poor tents, no overcoats, and Austrian rifles, the One Hundred and Sixth fared hardly. On the 1st of October Gholson left Louisville for Columbus on business, and wrote from the latter place on the 3d, having just heard by letter of the death of his classmates Doolittle and Almy. From Columbus he returned immediately to Louisville, but found the pursuit of Bragg begun and the regiment flown. At short notice he took the cars to Frankfort, and was obliged to make the last twenty miles of the journey on horseback, and the same day marched (I was too proud to ride, he says) twenty-five miles with his regiment. He was detailed Captain of Provost G
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...