hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity (current method)
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Stonewall Jackson 1,296 0 Browse Search
R. E. Lee 788 0 Browse Search
Fitz Lee 718 4 Browse Search
James Longstreet 581 1 Browse Search
George B. McClellan 529 1 Browse Search
U. S. Grant 513 5 Browse Search
Richard S. Ewell 426 4 Browse Search
A. P. Hill 410 4 Browse Search
J. E. B. Stuart 362 0 Browse Search
Harper's Ferry (West Virginia, United States) 361 1 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans).

Found 26,114 total hits in 5,666 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
insburg, detaching Negley's brigade, a mile beyond the ford, to march by way of Hedgesville and guard the right, coming into the main road again at Hainesville. About 5 miles from the ford, Patterson's skirmishers became engaged with the Confederates, posted in a clump of trees, and soon with the main force in front, sheltered by fences, woods and houses. From Darkesville, July 3d, Jackson made report concerning this battle, his first engagement with the enemy. At about 7:30 a. m. of the 2d, Colonel Stuart informed him that the Federal troops had advanced to within 4 1/2 miles of Camp Stephens, and he promptly sent forward Colonel Harper's Fifth Virginia regiment and Captain Pendleton's Rockbridge battery, and gave orders for moving baggage to the rear and advancing his other regiments; that reaching the vicinity of Falling Waters he found the Federals in position, as indicated by Stuart, when he directed Harper to deploy two companies, under Major Baylor, to the right of the roa
blem for Jackson, as it now presented itself, was to get his trains and prisoners safely to Staunton and find an opportunity to defeat his oncoming foes separately, before they could form a junction in the vicinity of Harrisonburg. The grand bulwark of the Massanuttons had divided them, and it was for him now to conquer and dispose of them. Knowing the road difficulties in the way of Shields, Jackson felt secure in falling back leisurely up the great macadam road leading to Staunton. On the 2d he reached Mt. Jackson. Bayard's cavalry force, which had not yet had a taste of Ashby's tactics, pressed with unusual vigor on Jackson's rear guard, which broke and was thrown into some confusion; but Ashby promptly rallied his men behind the bushes and fences, and with the help of an infantry regiment that filed to the roadside, sent the Federals back in confusion. On the 3d, Jackson retired to New Market, Ashby destroying the bridge across the North Fork of the Shenandoah near Mt. Jackson
fitted to take the place of Jackson and lead his hardy veterans to victory than fearless Jeb Stuart, and with the rising of the sun he promptly ordered forward A. P. Hill's division to the south of the plank road, inclining it to the eastward, while, at the same time, Lee moved McLaws westward, along the plank road, and Anderson northward and westward, south of the plank road, inclining to the left, to fill up the line of interval between his left and Stuart's right. During the night of the 2d, Hooker was reinforced by 17,000 men of the First corps, under Reynolds, and he now had concentrated at Chancellorsville some 80,000 men, disposed in a bluntly acute salient, projecting southward from each side of Chancellorsville, with the apex at Hazel Grove. The western side of this salient extended for over a mile to the northward from the apex, covering the approaches from the west and the ground held by Jackson's corps. The eastern side of the salient extended about a mile to the north
nd Law's brigade at New Guilford. During the night of the 1st Longstreet ordered McLaws to march forward at 4 a. m. of the 2d, but later this was changed to early in the morning. The same night he ordered Law and Pickett to march to Gettysburg on the 2d. Lee's official report sets forth the state of affairs confronting him, and his reasons for making battle, in these words: It had not been intended to deliver a general battle so far from our base of supplies unless attacked, but comingerans to press forward after a retreating foe. Lee dispatched his breakfast and was in the saddle before daylight of the 2d, eager to grasp victory from the opportunity that he knew he then had, of falling upon but a portion of the Federal army wh Longstreet, now reinforced by Pickett's division, which had arrived from the Cumberland valley during the afternoon of the 2d, was to again attack the Federal left, advancing from the position he had gained at the Devil's Den; while Ewell was at the
repulsed by Cooke's and Kirkland's brigades. Generals Breckinridge and Mahone drove the enemy from their front. On the 2d, Lee again wrote: Yesterday afternoon the enemy's cavalry were reported to be advancing, by the left of our line, towar, placing Hoke on the extreme right; and as the enemy's movements were still continuing to his right, on the morning of the 2d, he had moved Breckinridge's corps and two divisions of Hill's to the right. In concluding he said: General Early, witoads leading from the northeast, strengthened on the left by Heth's division of the Third corps. In the afternoon of the 2d, Lee took the offensive, by ordering Early to assail Grant's right and sweep down toward his left; but he found Grant's rig was not accepted, he built strong earthworks in front of Grant's, where he spent the night of the 2d. At 4 p. m. of the 2d, Dana dispatched Stanton: There has been no battle to-day. Hancock's men were so tired with their night march, of near
iskly forward, on the 30th, through New Market and Mt. Jackson, to the vicinity of Hawkinstown. The next day, July 1st, with, like alacrity, the march was continued, through Edenburg, Woodstock and Maurertown, to a camp near Fisher's hill. On the 2d, the march was through Strasburg, Middletown and Newtown, to the Opequan at Bartonsville; all places that recalled glorious victories. On the 3d, a long march carried Early's men through grand old Winchester, with its ever zealous and patriotic peow Spout, and then down the Valley turnpike to three miles beyond Mt. Sidney; while Ramseur and Wharton moved by the Mt. Meridian road and across by Piedmont to within three miles of Mt. Sidney. The cavalry took position along North river. On the 2d, Sheridan's cavalry drove in the Confederate pickets near Mt. Crawford, but the Stonewall brigade, of Gordon's division, drove them back and held the turnpike bridge over North river at that point. The cavalry had an engagement with the enemy at B
hed into Staunton and went into camp near the city. They were very quiet and disturbed no one. Generals Rosser and William L. Jackson, who were in Staunton, left in the morning of that day. On Monday, May 1st, the Federal provost marshal commenced paroling soldiers of the Confederacy, more offering for parole than could be accommodated. Large numbers of negroes collected at the Federal camp. Rosser and Jackson, with a few followers, left for the southwest of the Valley on the morning of the 2d, and the Federal troops left Staunton, returning toward Winchester. On Monday, May 8th, many of the citizens of Augusta county met in Staunton, declaring that armed resistance had ceased in Augusta county and that the only way to make the laws conform to those of the United States was, from necessity, to call a convention of the State of Virginia, on the basis of the members of the house of delegates, and recommending the appointment of a committee to go to Richmond and ascertain whether th
atch was received in Richmond at 10:40 of the morning of Sunday, April 2, 1865, and was at once sent to President Davis, who was at that time attending service at St. Paul's church, not far from the war department. He at once left the church and preparations were begun for the immediate evacuation of Richmond; and late in the day the officials of the Confederate States government took a train for Danville, and those of the State of Virginia started toward Lynchburg. On the afternoon of the 2d, at 4:55, a dispatch from General Lee read:, I think the Danville road will be safe until to-morrow; but at 7 p. m. he communicated: It is absolutely necessary that we should abandon our position to-night or run the risk of being cut off in the morning. I have given all the orders to officers on both sides of the river, and have taken every precaution that I can to make the movement successful. It will be a difficult operation, but I hope not impracticable. Please give all orders that y
n the Confederate service was as major of artillery, regular army. On July 23, 1861, as colonel in the provisional army, he was assigned to temporary command on the lower Rappahannock, with headquarters at Fredericksburg, and on February 28, 1862, being promoted to brigadier-general, he was ordered to report to General Longstreet. Commanding a brigade of Longstreet's corps, he won commendation for using his forces with great effect, ability and his usual gallantry, at Williamsburg. On the second day of the battle of Seven Pines he was particularly distinguished for his good generalship during an attack by Hooker's command. An order to withdraw was received, which was obeyed by the other brigade commanders after the repulse of the first attack; but Pickett, the true soldier, as Longstreet writes, knowing that the order was not intended for such an emergency, stood and resisted the attack, holding his ground against odds of ten to one for several hours longer. The enemy attempted to
mountain or farther to the east, and get in more direct communication with the Federal force in the valley of the South Branch of the Potomac; or, having driven the Confederates from their partially constructed works and which they were actively engaged in completing, to move down the Greenbrier and fall upon the rear of Fulkerson and Gilham, on the Huntersville line, and so open that route for an advance from Tygart's valley to threaten the Virginia Central railroad. About daylight of the 3d, the Federal advance, a whole regiment, drove in the Confederate pickets near the eastern foot of Cheat mountain and followed them across the valley of the Greenbrier to within a mile of Camp Bartow, where it encountered, at about 7 a. m., the grand guard of about 100 men, under Col. Edward Johnson, of the Twelfth Georgia, admirably posted. This small force stubbornly resisted and held the Federals in check for nearly an hour, and did not yield its position until Reynolds deployed a second re
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...