hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity (current method)
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Stonewall Jackson 1,296 0 Browse Search
R. E. Lee 788 0 Browse Search
Fitz Lee 718 4 Browse Search
James Longstreet 581 1 Browse Search
George B. McClellan 529 1 Browse Search
U. S. Grant 513 5 Browse Search
Richard S. Ewell 426 4 Browse Search
A. P. Hill 410 4 Browse Search
J. E. B. Stuart 362 0 Browse Search
Harper's Ferry (West Virginia, United States) 361 1 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Maj. Jed. Hotchkiss, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 3, Virginia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). Search the whole document.

Found 5,102 total hits in 1,201 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
n the Confederate service was as major of artillery, regular army. On July 23, 1861, as colonel in the provisional army, he was assigned to temporary command on the lower Rappahannock, with headquarters at Fredericksburg, and on February 28, 1862, being promoted to brigadier-general, he was ordered to report to General Longstreet. Commanding a brigade of Longstreet's corps, he won commendation for using his forces with great effect, ability and his usual gallantry, at Williamsburg. On the second day of the battle of Seven Pines he was particularly distinguished for his good generalship during an attack by Hooker's command. An order to withdraw was received, which was obeyed by the other brigade commanders after the repulse of the first attack; but Pickett, the true soldier, as Longstreet writes, knowing that the order was not intended for such an emergency, stood and resisted the attack, holding his ground against odds of ten to one for several hours longer. The enemy attempted to
Dowell, played a prominent part in the rout of the Federals at Middletown, and defended the rear during the Confederate retreat up the Valley early in June. On the 3d his horse was shot under him while his men were burning the bridge over the Shenandoah. Ashby has infernal activity and ingenuity in this way, Shields reported to n, N. C., where he rendered efficient service but fought no important battles. He rejoined Pickett before Suffolk, and marched with him into Pennsylvania. On the third day of the fighting at Gettysburg he led his brigade in the heroic charge upon Cemetery hill. As the division concentrated in making the final assault, Kemper felonstantly engaged. About midnight of May 2d, after Jackson and Hill had fallen, Stuart took command of the First corps of the army, at Chancellorsville, and on the 3d, with splendid personal courage and brilliant generalship, continued to drive the Federals by an audacious attack of 20,000 against 80,000, until he had gained Chan
of the war. Before the Pennsylvania campaign he had given the artillery an excellent organization, and under his direction it rendered telling service in the great artillery duels at Gettysburg. Through the remainder of the struggle he did his duty with devotion, and in the final retreat from Petersburg brought off his guns, making gallant stands against the enemy at Rice's Station and Farmville. During the night of April 8th, part of his command, under General Walker, was captured. On the 9th the artillery took part in a spirited attack upon the enemy, but hostilities were soon arrested, and he, with General Longstreet and General Gordon, represented the Confederate army in arranging the details of the surrender. Meanwhile, General Pendleton had continued to hold his ministerial charge at Lexington, and while on military duty had exercised his spiritual privileges. After the war he resumed his post at Lexington, where General Lee was a vestryman of his parish. He represented Vi
e of the district of Southwestern Virginia, and on March 29, 1865, was ordered to the command of the western department of Virginia, relieving General Breckinridge. On April 2d he began a march to unite with Lee, and reached Christiansburg on the 10th, where he received a telegram announcing the surrender at Appomattox. It was a terrible blow to his little army of 6,000 or 7,000 men, and caused indescribable consternation. At a council of war it was determined to march to unite with Johnston'he advance of Hill's corps, marching on the plank road to resist Grant's flank movement on May 5th. He replied for three hours to the attacks of General Hancock on the Brock road; was distinguished for intrepid fighting about Spottsylvania on the 10th, 11th and 12th of May, and a few days later engaged General Warren at Nowell's Turnout. June 3d he took part in the battle of Bethesda Church. During the siege of Petersburg he served on the lines from. July, 1864, until the evacuation, occupyi
o the command of the western department of Virginia, relieving General Breckinridge. On April 2d he began a march to unite with Lee, and reached Christiansburg on the 10th, where he received a telegram announcing the surrender at Appomattox. It was a terrible blow to his little army of 6,000 or 7,000 men, and caused indescribable consternation. At a council of war it was determined to march to unite with Johnston's army, and Echols set out at the head of Vaughn's and Duke's brigades on the 11th. Subsequently he accompanied President Davis to Augusta, Ga., and was for a short time in command at that place. After the close of hostilities he re-entered the law practice at Staunton, also exerted a beneficent influence in public affairs as a member of the committee of nine, in restoring Virginia to its proper relations with the general government, and as a member of the Virginia legislature. He was one of the early members of Stonewall Jackson camp, Confederate veterans, at Staunton,
with the Federal army. His troops, almost exhausted, took a position before Turner's gap, on the eastern slope of the South mountain, under artillery fire, and sustained for some time a fierce attack from Reno's corps of McClellan's army. On the 17th, Garnett and his men fought to the southeast of Sharpsburg village, in support of the Washington artillery, and later in the day in conjunction with S. D. Lee's battalion, and were distinguished for bravery. General Garnett was subsequently identf the 16th of September to reinforce Lee at Sharpsburg. There he took position on the extreme left. His brigade and Winder's (Stonewall) formed his front line, and the two, numbering less than 400 men, attacked at 6 o'clock on the morning of the 17th, held back the enemy for nearly an hour, then retired to the second line, and after remaining for half an hour under a terrific storm of shot and shell, advanced and repulsed the enemy. Jones, disabled by the explosion of a shell above his head,
Eshelman, and other artillery. He made a splendid fight at Williamsport, holding out against the attack of 7,000 men until Fitzhugh Lee came up, saving the trains and the wounded of Lee's army. On July 21st General Imboden was assigned to command of the Valley district, Stonewall Jackson's old district. When General Lee made his Bristoe campaign of October, 1863, Imboden was instructed to advance down the Valley and guard the mountain passes. He captured the garrison at Charlestown on the 18th, for which he was complimented by Lee. Early in May, 1864, he marched from Mount Crawford to meet the invasion under Sigel, and held the Federals in check until, reinforced by Breckinridge, the successful battle of New Market was fought. Breckinridge being called again to Lee, Imboden's small command was pushed back to Mount Crawford, where he was reinforced by Vaughn, and W. E. Jones took command, to meet with serious defeat at Piedmont. General Imboden then, in command of his own, Jackson
red in court and gave bail, and demanded trial. In January, 1861, the charges were investigated by a committee of congress, and he was completely exonerated. After leaving Washington he returned home and remained there until the spring of 1861, when he was commissioned brigadier-general in the Confederate army, May 23d. In command of his brigade he participated in the West Virginia campaign, joining General Wise in the Kanawha valley and taking command in that district August 12th. On the 26th he defeated Colonel Tyler, of Rosecrans' command, at Carnifax Ferry, but from lack of co-operation was unable to follow up his success. Here he fought a battle with Rosecrans in September, and at Gauley Bridge had another engagement in October. He was subsequently assigned to the army under Albert Sidney Johnston, in command of a brigade of Virginia troops, the Thirty-sixth, Fiftieth, Fifty-first and Fifty-sixth and Virginia artillery. In the organization of the Central army of Kentucky he
, attached to General Wise's command, stationed at Goldsboro, N. C. During the Seven Days campaign in Virginia he commanded his regiment in Field's brigade, and was commended for gallantry, and his promotion to brigadier-general followed early in August, 1862. Reporting for duty to General Jackson, he was assigned to command of the Second Louisiana brigade and marched with it to Manassas. In that campaign he took command of the Stonewall division, after General Taliaferro was wounded on the 28th. He was with Jackson at the capture of Harper's Ferry, and at Sharpsburg was called on again to take command of the division, after the fall of J. R. Jones. Soon afterward he himself fell mortally wounded, pierced by three minie balls, and survived but an hour. Gen. Bradley T. Johnson, in reporting the battle of Second Manassas, said: I cannot forbear doing but scant justice to a gallant soldier now no more. It was my fortune during the two days of battle, during which he commanded the di
e Cumberland Gap campaign he commanded the Fourth brigade, consisting of Alabama and Georgia regi. ments and Anderson's Virginia battery. Subsequently, with Stevenson's division, he took part in the defense of Vicksburg. At the time of Sherman's advance by way of Chickasaw bayou late in December, 1862, he commanded the Confederate center, his troops bravely holding their ground under a severe fire of musketry and artillery, which continued for three days, and repulsing five assaults on the 29th. The siege of Vicksburg followed, and he was surrendered July 4, 1863, but soon afterward exchanged. He was then given command of Armistead's brigade, Pickett's division; was stationed at Kinston, N. C., during the latter part of the year, and was the leader of one of the columns in the demonstration against New Bern about February 1, 1864. On May 10th he participated in the battle of Drewry's Bluff, against Butler, fighting bravely in the midst of his men, and being the first to take poss
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...