hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity (current method)
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
South Carolina (South Carolina, United States) 1,286 0 Browse Search
Longstreet 382 26 Browse Search
Wade Hampton 305 27 Browse Search
Fredericksburg, Va. (Virginia, United States) 303 1 Browse Search
G. T. Beauregard 291 1 Browse Search
United States (United States) 288 0 Browse Search
Sharpsburg (Maryland, United States) 283 1 Browse Search
Maxcy Gregg 266 18 Browse Search
Greenville (South Carolina, United States) 265 19 Browse Search
A. P. Hill 260 4 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). Search the whole document.

Found 27,060 total hits in 4,681 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
the battle of Dranesville. In April he reenlisted in Company A, Fourth South Carolina battalion, with which he served at Yorktown and around Richmond, participating in the battles of Williamsburg, Seven Pines, and the Seven Days battles. On the second day of the battles around Richmond he was wounded above the elbow of the right arm and was taken to the hospital, where, on the evening of June 29th, his arm was amputated, in consequence of which he received an honorable discharge from the army., and in June, 1864, he was transferred to Company K, Nineteenth South Carolina infantry, of Manigault's brigade. A few days before the battle of Atlanta he and three others were occuping a rifle-pit, having with them three days rations. On the second day their supply of water gave out, and at great risk of his life young Pinson made a run for a stream, filled the canteens and ran back through a fierce volley from the enemy, reaching the rifle-pit in safety. In the battle of Atlanta, July 22d
s ready for fatigue duty or the clash of battle. During the war he was never in hospital or on sick leave of absence. In March, 1864, the brigade was ordered to Virginia. It was halted at Weldon, N. C., and sent to Kinston on the Neuse river to join General Hoke in his expedition against New Bern. Before the assault on the town could be made the brigade was ordered in great haste to Petersburg to meet the critical movement of General Butler between the Appomattox and James rivers. On the 20th the brigade had a severe engagement with the troops of General Butler at Weir Bottom church in front of Bermuda Hundred, lasting all day. After this came the service in the trenches around Petersburg, lasting, as the siege did, from June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865, during which time the besieged were under incessant fire day and night. Many passages of arms of a spirited nature occurred during this period, but the most noted event was the springing of the mine and the battle ensuing, called
ad volunteered in the State service in the previous January. Becoming a member of Company I, Fifth infantry, hcollege of the State of South Carolina in 1861. In January of the latter year he entered the military service aving seceded, he stood a successful examination in January and was awarded his diploma. In the spring of 1861at the South Carolina college, and in the following January, in company with a classmate, Micah Jenkins, later Charleston, commanded by Capt. Gadsden King, and in January he was appointed first lieutenant in the First regithe resignation of Colonel Ellis, which occurred in January or February, 1863, he was made lieutenant-colonel olity until October 30, 1862. At Fredericksburg, in January following the battle, he was injured in camp by a f 1886. Clifton Reed was reared in Anderson, and in January. 1862, he entered the South Carolina military acadHe participated in the defense of Port Royal Ferry, January x, 1862, the engagement with the steamer Pawnee on
January 8th (search for this): chapter 24
is command as a private about two months, and then was active in the organization of a cavalry company mustered in about July, 1863, of which he was elected second lieutenant. This company was composed entirely of boys under eighteen years of age, except the captain, Edward Avery. It was designed for service in the State, and after its urgent requests for a more active field had been repeatedly denied, the boys disbanded January 1, 1864, in order to re-enlist in other organizations. On January 8th Allen Jones enlisted in Company H, commanded by his brother, Cadwallader Jones, Jr., of his father's regiment, the Twelfth. With this command he soon found active service about Richmond, fighting at Frayser's Farm, where a package of letters on his breast alone saved him from a dangerous wound; at Fussell's Mill, and in the Petersburg trenches until the battle of Reams' Station, where he was shot through the right arm. He was sent from the hospital at Richmond to his home, and his injury
January 13th (search for this): chapter 24
Carolina legislature for many years; and his maternal grandfather, Dr. Robert Williams, served as a surgeon in the war of the Revolution from 1775, and afterward was a member of the legislature. In October, 1864, Mr. Joyner, being seventeen years of age, enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth battalion, North Carolina light artillery, as a private, and was stationed at Fort Fisher, where was sustained the Federal attack of December 24 and 25, 1864, and the combined attack of fleet and army on January 13, 14 and 15, 1865. In the latter engagement he received a frightful wound in the left temple, from a minie ball, and narrowly escaped death. The wound did not heal for a year, and during a portion of this time, until July 26, 1865, he was a prisoner-of-war at Point Lookout, Md. On his return home, after raising the crop which was the duty to which so many Confederate soldiers first turned their attention, he engaged in teaching school; afterward studied at Homer's school, Oxford, N. C., a
Company E. This organization, known as the First battalion of rifles, was stationed on John's island. In the following February, by the addition of four companies, the Second South Carolina Rifle regiment was formed, Moore being promoted to colonederate career. Lieutenant John N. Hankinson, the popular clerk of court of Aiken county, S. C., was born in Aiken, on February 22, 1840, and was educated in the schools of his native State, principally at the Yorkville academy. At the beginning nchester, Hupp's Hill, Charlestown, W. Va.; Cedar Creek, and in the trenches in front of Richmond from December to about February, when they were transferred to Charleston, S. C., thence to Savannah, and then back to Charleston. At the evacuation ofwounded, very badly, in the left leg, which caused his disability until July, 1864, though he was with his regiment from February. His next battles were the Wilderness, Brock's Road, Spottsylvania Court House, North Anna River and Cold Harbor, and h
February 14th (search for this): chapter 24
kirmishes on the Vaughn Road, Burgess' Mill, Averasboro, and Bentonville, N. C. He was in thirty or forty cavalry skirmishes in Virginia, a considerable number on the South Carolina coast, and almost daily skirmishing in the two Carolinas from February 14 to April 13, 1865. At Lynch's creek, in March, 1865, he was slightly wounded, and his horse was shot under him. After the close of hostilities Colonel Davis returned to Charleston and again engaged in business. Since 1880 he has held the posghts at Chester Station, Drewry's bluff, Charles City, Hawe's shop, Cold Harbor, White house, Nance's shop, Ream's Station, Gravelly run, White Oak road, Vaughn road, Burgess' mill, and in 1865, in the Carolinas, was in daily skirmishing from February 14th to April 13th, including the battles of Fayetteville and Bentonville. Since the war he has been a respected citizen of Charleston. Lieutenant Charles E. Watson, a gallant South Carolina soldier of the Confederacy now residing at Greenvill
February 18th (search for this): chapter 24
command, Beauregard recommended his promotion to major, but it was not acted upon. Captain Gilchrist continued on duty at department headquarters under Beauregard's successors, Gens. Sam Jones, A. P. Hill and Hardee, and the latter, reviving the recommendation of General Beauregard, secured the captain's promotion to major. When General Hardee moved out from Charleston to oppose Sherman's advance Major Gilchrist was left at the city, and when the evacuation occurred, on the morning of February 18th, he was left at Charleston with an escort of sixty or seventy men of the Stono Scouts, to observe the enemy's movements, and did not leave the city until the Federal forces entered. Then joining his chief at Kingstree, he remained on duty to the end, participating in the battles of Averasboro and Bentonville, and at the surrender serving as paroling officer by appointment of General Johnston. On his return to Charleston, Major Gilchrist practiced law there until about 1870, when he wen
ich he has won high honors and contributed greatly to the spiritual welfare of the city and its moral advancement. A few years ago he received the well-merited degree of doctor of divinity. Lieutenant Elihu William Cannon Lieutenant Elihu William Cannon was born at Darlington, S. C., October 3, 1841. He was attending the North Carolina military institute conducted by Gen. D. H. Hill, at Charlotte, N. C., when hostilities commenced in 1861. He left school and enlisted as a private in March, in the Hartsville light infantry, Company G, Ninth regiment South Carolina infantry. He served with this command twelve months, during that time filling, successively, the positions of sergeant and third lieutenant. At the end of the twelve months for which time the company was enlisted, it was reorganized at Yorktown, Va., and entered the Sixth South Carolina infantry as Company E. He was elected first lieutenant and served about three and one-half months, during that time participatin
March 10th (search for this): chapter 24
ured by the enemy. His arm was amputated by Surgeon Tazewell Tyler, son of President John Tyler, and he lay in camp hospital seventeen days and was then transferred to a hospital at Chester, Pa. In September, 1863, he was sent to the military prison on Johnson's island, Lake Erie, where he endured the privations of a prisoner and the rigors of the Northern winter, until February 28, 1865, when he was sent to Richmond for exchange. On account of his empty sleeve he was granted a furlough March 10th, during which the war came to an end. Since then he has been influential in the public affairs of his county, serving as county commissioner, pension commissioner, as sheriff nine years from 1868, and during three sessions as a member of the legislature. He was married in 1853 to Miss Ezell, who died in 1874, leaving three children, and in 1875 he wedded Mary Jane Oglesby, who died in 1896, leaving one daughter. Lieutenant Samuel Dibble Lieutenant Samuel Dibble was born at Charlesto
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...