hide Sorting

You can sort these results in two ways:

By entity
Chronological order for dates, alphabetical order for places and people.
By position (current method)
As the entities appear in the document.

You are currently sorting in ascending order. Sort in descending order.

hide Most Frequent Entities

The entities that appear most frequently in this document are shown below.

Entity Max. Freq Min. Freq
Alabama (Alabama, United States) 1,742 0 Browse Search
Joseph Wheeler 688 376 Browse Search
Braxton Bragg 254 2 Browse Search
Tennessee (Tennessee, United States) 242 0 Browse Search
Atlanta (Georgia, United States) 178 6 Browse Search
John B. Hood 168 2 Browse Search
Murfreesboro (Tennessee, United States) 161 7 Browse Search
Archibald Gracie 154 4 Browse Search
James Longstreet 154 2 Browse Search
Joseph E. Johnston 152 16 Browse Search
View all entities in this document...

Browsing named entities in a specific section of Col. O. M. Roberts, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 12.1, Alabama (ed. Clement Anselm Evans). Search the whole document.

Found 2,860 total hits in 775 results.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Bean's Station (Tennessee, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
of himself and his brigade is shown by the fact that within two hours it lost 705 killed and wounded out of 1,870 in action. When Longstreet was ordered into east Tennessee, Gracie's brigade formed part of his force, and suffered severely at Bean's Station, where Gracie also received a painful wound in the arm. As soon as he recovered he rejoined his brigade, which was assigned to the Richmond and Petersburg lines, under General Beauregard, during the campaign of May, 1864. He had a horse kille of the regiments in his command. His valor in the desperate situation in which the brigade found itself in this battle, was highly commended by General Gracie. He accompanied Longstreet into Tennessee, was at the siege of Knoxville and at Bean's Station, and early in 1864 the brigade was sent to Beauregard at Petersburg. In the battle of Drewry's Bluff, May 16th, Colonel Moody was severely wounded in the ankle. On the death of General Gracie, which occurred December 2, 1864, he took charge
Bentonville (North Carolina, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
s brigade were next near Mobile in the department of the Gulf. In January, 1865, they went to the Carolinas to engage in what proved the final campaign, and at Bentonville, though numbering only 350 muskets, captured 204 of the enemy. Upon the return of peace General Baker gave his whole attention to the practice of law. He was auary took command of Butler's brigade of cavalry. He was actively engaged in the attack on Kilpatrick's camp, served on the staff of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston at Bentonville, and then resumed command of Butler's cavalry. He was promoted to major-general, just before the surrender, on the recommendation of Generals Johnston and Hampre rout. Again Pettus' men stood like a rock at the Harpeth river. In the campaign in the Carolinas, in 1865, he led his brigade in the battles of Kinston and Bentonville. In the last-named battle he was severely wounded. When the war had ended he made his home at Selma, and resumed the practice of law, becoming distinguished
Athens, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
66, while in New Orleans for the purpose of establishing a branch of his business, he contracted yellow fever and died. He was a man of soldierly bearing, six feet in height, slender and erect; of very gentle disposition, and loved by the men of his command as a friend and protector, whom they obeyed because they held him in high esteem. Brigadier-General John Tyler Morgan, who enlisted as a private in the Confederate States army and rose to the rank of brigadier-general, was born at Athens, Tenn., June 20, 1824. His father was a merchant; his mother, whose maiden name was Irby, was a relative of Chancellor Tyler, of Virginia. At the age of nine years he removed with his parents to Calhoun county, Ala., and in that State received an academic education; studied law at Talladega, was admitted to the bar in 1845, and subsequently practiced at Talladega, Cahaba, and Selma, his present home. His canvass of the State in 1860 as candidate for presidential elector-at-large on the Breck
South Carolina (South Carolina, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
n 1835. His father, Wade Allen, went from South Carolina to Alabama in 1818 and became a planter ne. C., December 30, 1818. His father was a South Carolina planter, his mother a Miss Richardson. Hecer in the celebrated Palmetto regiment of South Carolina. He won distinction in the battles of thaafter enlisted in the Palmetto regiment of South Carolina, for which Capt. Preston S. Brooks had comut, at one time United States senator from South Carolina. The Deas family moved to Mobile in 1835,dega, Ala., a descendant of the celebrated South Carolina family of that name. Brigadier-General nce of his relatives, Hon. W. W. Boyce; of South Carolina, and Hon. Philip T. Herbert, of California and Hampton. After the war he resided in South Carolina and became connected with railroad enterpr member of one of the Huguenot families of South Carolina. They moved to Alabama and settled in Madborn, April 4, 1840, and named in honor of South Carolina's great statesman. The parents soon after[1 more...]
Tallassee (Tennessee, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
edition as colonel and general. He commanded at Granada and defeated the army of Guatemala. After the failure of that expedition he returned to San Francisco, continuing there until the autumn of 1859, when he went to Alabama and, settling at Tallassee, engaged in cotton manufacturing until the opening of the civil war. On July 19, 1861, he was commissioned colonel of the Thirteenth Alabama infantry. Reporting at once with his regiment at Richmond, he was ordered to Yorktown, where he remaindered to Augusta, Ga., to command a district embracing parts of South Carolina and Georgia. This he held until the close of the war. He then went to Cuba, but in 1868 returned to Alabama and resumed his old business of cotton manufacturing at Tallassee, in which he continued until 1876, when he removed to Florida. After spending some time there he went back to Alabama and resided in Montgomery, where his wife died. This estimable lady was Martha A. Micau, born in Augusta, Ga., but living in
Tuskegee (Alabama, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
d, the First, with headquarters at Mobile, and the Second, at Montgomery. The Tuskegee light infantry was assigned to the Second regiment, of which Tennent Lomax wasel; Tennent Lomax, of Montgomery, lieutenant-colonel, and Cullen A. Battle, of Tuskegee, major. The Second battalion, under Major Battle, was ordered to Virginia, athe city by the American forces. Returning home he began the study of law, in Tuskegee, with Hon. David Clopton, and then attended the law school of Judge Chilton. 48 to 1853 he was principal of a high school at Talladega; then studied law at Tuskegee, under Judge Chilton. In 1854 he was admitted to practice in the courts of Ale fall of 1858, when he resigned to take charge of the East Alabama college at Tuskegee. He was in this position when the Confederate disaster at Forts Henry and Don on the staff of Maj.-Gen. Benjamin S. Patterson, in which capacity he went to Tuskegee to drill volunteers. On the arrival of General Jessup, he was transferred to
Meadow Mills (Virginia, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
sion and fled from the field. General Early exclaimed: It was a grand sight to see this immense mass hurled back in utter disorder by my two divisions, numbering very little over 5,000 men. Early addressed a congratulatory note to General Battle, giving him the credit of having saved the day in the enemy's first attack. Major-General Rodes, falling at this battle, Ramseur succeeded to the division command. General Battle led his brigade in the successful attack upon Sheridan's army at Cedar Creek, October 9th, but received a severe wound in the knee while General Ramseur was congratulating him upon his part in the fight. He was taken to the field hospital, where preparations for the amputation of his leg were suspended by the startling news that Ramseur was killed and the day was lost. After much suffering he reached the hospital at Richmond, and was confined there about three months. While on sick bed he was informed by Col. Lawson Clay, of the adjutant-general's department, th
Coosa River (Alabama, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
ed as aid to General Bragg. At Booneville he led a brigade, consisting of his own and a Mississippi regiment and Maj. S. J. Murphy's battalion, and drove the enemy from the field. In the spring of 1863 Colonel Clanton raised three more regiments, the Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Alabama cavalry, and on November 13th of that year was commissioned as brigadier-general in the provisional army of the Confederate States. In 1864 he had a fierce fight with General Rousseau at Ten Islands, on the Coosa river. In this affair he lost his entire staff, Capt. Robert Abercrombie, of Florida, and Lieutenant Judkins, of Montgomery, being killed, and Captain Smith, of Dallas, and Lieutenant Hyer, of Florida, being wounded. Being ordered to Dalton, he reached there ahead of his command, and acted as aid to General Polk, at Resaca, Adairsville and Cassville. For his services in getting the artillery and stores safely across the Etowah, on the retreat from Cassville, he received the thanks of the gen
Jackson (Tennessee, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
ngaged in the action at Blue Water on September 3d. After participating in the Utah expedition, he was at Fort Wise, Col., in 1861, when he heard of the withdrawal of Alabama from the Union. He immediately resigned, went to Richmond, and was appointed captain of artillery and assigned to the command of Gen. Henry R. Jackson, then stationed on the banks of the Greenbrier river, at the head of a little valley known as Traveler's Repose, in western Virginia. He acted as adjutant-general of Jackson's brigade, in the Cheat mountain expedition in September, and on the 3d of October was in a spirited little battle on the Greenbrier, in which the Confederates repulsed the enemy. At the battle of Alleghany Summit, December 13, 1861, Captain Deshler was shot through both thighs. Upon his recovery he was appointed colonel of artillery and assigned to duty in North Carolina, whence he accompanied General Holmes in 1862 to the Trans-Mississippi department as chief of staff. Later he command
Shelbyville, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (search for this): chapter 9
o General Forrest's command, and, subsequently, was transferred to the command of General Wheeler, then chief of cavalry. Afterward it fought in Martin's division. It was in constant, active and arduous service, often far in front of the Confederate forces, on the flanks or in the rear of the enemy, or raiding the enemy's territory and destroying his supply trains. It was in daily conflict with the Federals, and the aggregate of its losses was large. It was in the fights at Lavergne, Shelbyville, Murfreesboro, Tracy City and Chickamauga, and in the famous raid in the Sequatchie valley, in which 1,000 wagons, loaded with stores, were burned, and 4,000 mules were butchered. With the brigade his work was of the same nature on a larger field and with greater responsibilities. With it he shared the hardships and the dangers of the campaigns around Knoxville, against Burnside, and in east Tennessee, and, subsequently, having been ordered from the French Broad to General Johnston at D
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...