Your search returned 194 results in 105 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Strabo, Geography (ed. H.C. Hamilton, Esq., W. Falconer, M.A.), BOOK XIV., CHAPTER III. (search)
ast extending from Lycia to the places about Soli, the present Pompeiopolis. Then the sea-coast near the Bay of Issus, beginning from Soli and Tarsus, spreads out into plains. The description of this coast will complete the account of the whole peninsula. We shall then pass to the rest of Asia without the Taurus, and lastly we shall describe Africa. After Dedala of the Rhodians there is a mountain of Lycia, of the same name, Dedala, and here the whole Lycian coast begins, and extends 1720 stadia. This maritime tract is rugged, and difficult to be approached, but has very good harbours, and is inhabited by a people who are not inclined to acts of violence. The country is similar in nature to that of Pamphylia and Cilicia Tracheia. But the former used the places of shelter for vessels for piratical purposes themselves, or afforded to pirates a market for their plunder and stations for their vessels. At Side,Eski Adalia, Old Attaleia; but the Greeks gave the name palaia\ At
iscipline seemed nullified by the adroit introduction of the concluding proviso. May 9, 1755: Brothers Samuel Brooks and Jonathan Bradshaw were chosen deacons, unanimously. Samuel Brooks, Esq., declined; Brother Bradshaw accepted. Aug. 31, 1755: Received a folio Bible from the Hon. T. Royal, and voted thanks. 1759: Voted to read the Scriptures in the congregation. What reason our ancestors could give for not reading the word of God in the sabbath services, we cannot imagine. In 1720, Mr. Holmes says:-- Why this practice should be discontinued by any of the disciples of Jesus, I see no reason. I am persuaded it cannot be alleged to be any part of our reformation from Popish superstition. 1759: Chose Brother Ebenezer Brooks a deacon, unanimously. March 24, 1767: Brothers Isaac Warren and Samuel Kidder were chosen deacons. March 7, 1763: Deacon Benjamin Willis, Deacon Jonathan Bradshaw, Deacon Ebenezer Brooks, Dr. Simon Tufts, Captain Caleb Brooks, Stephen Ha
Timothy Bigelow1845 Sanford B. Perry1845 James A. Hervey1849 Albert F. Sawyer1849 Thomas Meriam Stetson1849 George D. Porter1851 Peter C. Brooks1852 Gorham Train1852 Samuel C. Lawrence1855 Medford once had eight under-graduates, at the same time, in Harvard College. Physicians. For many years the inhabitants of Medford employed the physicians of the neighboring towns; and there was small need of medicine where all had simple diet, fresh air, and moderate labor. As early as 1720, two doctors appear in the town records,--Dr. Oliver Noyce and Dr. Ebenezer Nutting. The first died in 1721; and the second is not found in the records but a year or two afterwards. Of these two practitioners, not being graduates, nothing has been discovered concerning them. The name of Dr. John Bishop appears on the tax-bills of 1726-7, and then vanishes. Dr. Simon Tufts, son of Peter, born in Medford, Jan. 31, 1700, died here, Jan. 31, 1747. He graduated at Harvard College in 1724.
11 Captain Peter Tufts010021600191 John Hall, jun.0100000000 To judge accurately of taxes paid by our ancestors after 1710, it is needful to know the rate of depreciation in the Province bills, which were taken in payment for taxes. In 1710, one ounce of silver was equal to 8s. of these bills; in 1722, 14s.; in 1732, 19s.; in 1742, 28s.; and in 1752, 60s. In July 20, 1720, the General Court ordered, that taxes might be paid in live-stock and merchandise, instead of money; and, from 1720 to 1750, live-stock in Medford was valued, on an average, as follows: Oxen, four years old, £ 2 each; horses, three years old, £ 2; bulls and cows, three years old, £ 1 10s.; swine, above one year old, 8s. each; sheep and goats, 3s. each. In those towns which had vessels, a decked vessel was valued, for taxation, at £ 1. 10s. per ton; and undecked vessels [Medford lighters], at £ 1 per ton. Stock in trade was valued at one-quarter of its worth; male Indian and negro slaves, at £ 15 each; f<
house. They for Cambridge went to the north side; they for Charlestown, to the south. Cambridge had forty-six; Charlestown, forty-one. 1718.--Ruth Albree, daughter of John Albree, afterwards the mother of John Brooks, was baptized May 4, 1718, and was taken into church Jan. 24, 1743. May 12, 1718.--Put to vote, whether persons hiring any persons, or leasing out tenements, in Medford, may be obliged to acquaint the selectmen therewith, or liable to some fine. Voted in the negative. 1720.--Tea began to be used in Medford. 1721.--Medford voted to turn the road away from a house while the smallpox was in that house. Aug. 14, 1721.--Sundry inhabitants on the north side of Mystic River, who desired to be set off from Charlestown to Malden, were refused their petition by Charlestown. From the earliest times, there seems to have been a strong desire to break away from Charlestown. At first, it was the largest town in the Colony; but town after town has been severed from it,
rd.  44 Ruth, b. 1708; m.1st, July 8, 1725, John Weber. 2d, Dec. 11, 1735, T. Symmes. 2-14PERCIVAL Hall, of Sutton, 1720; m. at Woburn, Oct. 18, 1697, Jane Willis. He was one of the founders of the church at Medford; was one of the original pFeb. 13, 1718. He d. Jan. 21, 1724; and his widow m. Philip Cook in 1775. His children were--  9-10Mary.  11Samuel, b. 1720.  12James.  13Francis. 9-11Samuel Kidder m., 1st, Mary Tompson, March 20, 1744, who d., aged 42, Mar. 30, 1766, leaving  1SHEPARD, Jacob, m. Mercy Chickering, Nov. 22, 1699; and had--  1-2Jacob, b. Aug. 22, 1700.  1Swan, Samuel, was b. 1720; was an only son; his father m. Miss Austin, of Charlestown, and d. 1746. His ancestors are said to have had large posseslso had six hundred acres in Quabog, or Brookfield. 1-3Jonathan Tufts was of Medford. Will dated Aug. 4, 1718. He d. in 1720; and was buried in Malden, beside his father. He had, by his wife Rebecca,--  3-27Jonathan, b. July 1, 1685; d. Dec. 1
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Arctic exploration. (search)
on his third voyage. Henry Hudson tried to round the north of Europe and Asia in 1607-08, but failed, and, pushing for the lower latitudes of the American coast, discovered the river that bears his name. While on an expedition to discover a northwest passage, he found Hudson Bay, and perished (1610) on its bosom. In 1616 Baffin explored the bay called by his name, and entered the mouth of Lancaster Sound. After that, for fifty years, no navigator went so far north in that direction. In 1720 the Hudson Bay Company sent Captains Knight and Barlow to search for a northwest passage to India. They sailed with a ship and sloop, and were never heard of afterwards. In 1741 Vitus Bering discovered the strait that bears his name, having set sail from a port in Kamtchatka. In that region Bering perished. Russian navigators tried in vain to solve the problem. Between 1769 and 1772 Samuel Hearne made three overland journeys in America to the Arctic Ocean. The British government having,
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Ashe, John, 1720- (search)
Ashe, John, 1720- Military officer: born in Grovely, Brunswick co., N. C., in 1720; was in the North Carolina legislature for several years, and was speaker in 1762-65. He warmly opposed the Stamp Act: assisted Governor Tryon in suppressing the Regulator movement in 1771, but soon afterwards became a zealous Whig. He was an active patriot, and because he led 500 men to destroy Fort Johnson he was denounced as a rebel. Raising and equipping a regiment at his own expense, he was appointed 1720; was in the North Carolina legislature for several years, and was speaker in 1762-65. He warmly opposed the Stamp Act: assisted Governor Tryon in suppressing the Regulator movement in 1771, but soon afterwards became a zealous Whig. He was an active patriot, and because he led 500 men to destroy Fort Johnson he was denounced as a rebel. Raising and equipping a regiment at his own expense, he was appointed brigadier-general of the Wilmington District in April. 1776. He joined Lincoln in South Carolina in 1778; and after he was defeated at Brier Creek, in March, 1779, he returned home. General Ashe suffered much at the hands of the British at Wilmington after the battle at Guilford, and died of small-pox, which he had contracted in prison, in Sampson county, N. C., Oct. 24, 1781.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Charlevoix, Pierre Francois Xavier de (search)
Charlevoix, Pierre Francois Xavier de Traveller; born in Saint-Quentin, France, Oct. 29, 1682. He was sent as a Jesuit missionary to Quebec in 1705; later returned to France; and in 1720 again went to Canada. On his second visit he ascended the St. Lawrence River; travelled through Illinois; and sailed down the Mississippi to New Orleans; and returned to France in 1722. His publications include Histoire de la nouvelle France. He died in La Fleche, France, Feb. 1, 1761. See Jesuit missions.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Colden, Cadwallader 1688- (search)
Colden, Cadwallader 1688- Physician; born in Dunse, Scotland, Feb. 17, 1688; graduated at the University of Edinburgh in 1705, and became a physician and Cadwallader Colden. mathematician. In 1708 he emigrated to Pennsylvania, and returned to his native country in 1712. He came again to America in 1716, and in 1718 made his abode in New York, where he was made first surveyor-general of the colony, became a master in chancery, and, in 1720, obtained a seat in Governor Burnet's council. He received a patent for lands in Orange county, N. Y., about 10 miles from Newburg, and there he went to reside in 1755. Becoming president of the council, he administered the government in 1760, and was made lieutenantgovernor in 1761, which station he held until his death, being repeatedly placed at the head of affairs by the absence or death of governors. During the Stamp Act excitement the populace burned his coach. After the return of Governor Tryon in 1775, he retired to his seat on L
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...