hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 26 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Metropolitan Park System. Mr. Sylvester Baxter, of Malden. November 15.—The Hancock-Clark House, of Lexington. Rev. Carlton A. Staples, of Lexington. December 20.—Maps of Medford at Different Periods. Mr. William Cushing Wait. January 17.—Roads and Bridges of Old Medford. Mr. John H. Hooper. February 21.—Governor Cradock's Plantation. Mr. Walter H. Cushing. To be followed. April 18.—Medford in the War of the Revolution. Miss Helen T. Wild. May 16.—The Life and Work of Mrs. Lydia Maria (Francis) Child. Mrs. Richard P. Hallowell. England, and John Winthrop succeeded to the chief executive office. From that time, Massachusetts became to a large degree self-governed. The earliest information we get concerning the circumstances under which Medford was settled comes from a letter written by Governor Dudley, March 28, 1631. After a recital of the events connected with the arrival of the colonists, he says: We began to consult of a place for our sitting down, for
occupied with literature as a profession. First and foremost, I would name in love and reverence Miss Mary Sargent; versed in literature, with an intimate knowledge of books and who made that knowledge of the utmost service to all. She wrote valuable papers relating to her profession, of which she was one of its most eminent members; and in collaboration with her sister, Reading for the Young, 1890. One of the most renowned people, and certainly the most prolific writer of Medford was Lydia Maria (Francis) Child, a sister of Rev. Converse Francis. Her first novel, Hobomok, published in 1824, when she was only twenty-three years of age, was a great success, and was soon followed by the Rebels in 1825. She edited a periodical for children called Juvenile Miscellany, afterwards published as Flowers for Children. The Frugal Housewife; Evenings in New England, 1826; First Settlers of New England, 1829; The Girl's Own Book; The Coronal; The Mother's Book, 1831; and the Ladies' Family
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., The Historical Society's sale and removal. (search)
timely. Convers Francis served an apprenticeship in Medford, learning the art and trade of a baker of Capt. Ebenezer Hall. He became the captain's foreman for some years and was in business two years at Menotomy. At his former master's desire he succeeded him in 1797, and himself retired at the age of fifty-two, with what was then a fortune, $50,000. He soon erected (in 1800, it is said) a substantial house, that has these historic interests: First, that there his talented daughter, Lydia Maria (by marriage, Child), was born February 1, 1802. See Vol. III, p. 95, register, therefor. Second, that the Medford Cracker was there designed and first made. All work incident thereto was for many years by hand. This bread deserved all the fame it acquired, and as each little loaf, because of its peculiar making, split in halves, it got the name, crackers. Mr. Francis faced his house to the sun, with its front door on Salem street, the rear reached by a path, later called Blanchar
1 2