Your search returned 207 results in 41 document sections:
Notes Names of those whose graves were marked by the Historical Society, April 19, 1898: John Blanchard, Thomas Bradshaw, Thomas Binford, Capt. Caleb Brooks, Lt.-Col. John Brooks (received title General after close of war), Rev. Edward Brooks (Chaplain), Hezekiah Blanchard, Hezekiah Blanchard, Jr., Jonas Dickson, Benjamin Francis, Benjamin Floyd, Benjamin Floyd, John Le Bosquet, Rev. David Osgood (Chaplain), John Oakes, Lt. Jonathan Porter, James Richardson, John Stimson, Johnes Symmes, Thomas Savels or Sables, Maj. Samuel Swan (received title after close of war), Benjamin Tufts, Samuel Tufts, Samuel Tufts, 3d, Corp. James Tufts, Jr., Samuel Teal, Ebenezer Tufts, Jonathan Tufts, David Vinton. Unknown soldiers, probably from New Hampshire or Maine, who died in Medford during siege of Boston. Mr. John H. Hooper, whose portrait appears in this number of the Register, and whose article on the brid
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The
second Congregational and Mystic churches. (search)
The second Congregational and Mystic churches. by Charles Cummings. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, Nov. 20, 1899.] Rev. Doctor Osgood, pastor of the First and only church then existing in Medford, died in December, 1822. Early in the following year the Rev. Andrew Bigelow became a candidate for settlement as Doctor Osgood's successor. The majority of the church were pleased with his services, and proposed his installation, which took place July 9; but a minority, recognizing that his theological views did not harmonize with their own, deemed it expedient to withdraw from that church, and form a new one. Accordingly seventeen members
His eventful pastorate extended through nearly fourteen years, and was the longest enjoyed by any Congregational minister in Medford since the decease of Doctor Osgood.
He was a faithful, whole-souled, and energetic worker, and allowed nothing to come between him and the performance of what he conceived to be his duty.
Lydia Maria Child. by Anna D. Hallowell. few reputations survive the almost universal mortality of a hundred years. Whenever, or wherever, this exception occurs our curiosity is challenged to inquire what elements of character triumphed over the limitations of time, what traits were a part of immortal life. Almost a century has elapsed since a little girl was born in the village of Medford, on Feb. 1, 1802, and duly christened by Dr. Osgood, minister over the First, and only, Church,—Lydia Maria Francis. The substantial brick house in which she opened her eyes was built and owned by her father, David Francis, and is now occupied by the Medford Historical Society. Richard Francis was the first of the name to come to America. He died in 1686 or 1687, aged eighty-six years, or thereabouts, according to his gravestone in West Cambridge, now Arlington. The next knowledge of the family is of Mrs. Child's grandfather, Richard Francis, a weaver by trade. He was an ardent Liberty
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., Strangers in
Medford, (continued from vol. 4, no. 2). (search)