hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 2 0 Browse Search
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 2 0 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Volume 2. 2 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: January 18, 1861., [Electronic resource] 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 28 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
d his note by a sketch of this house, showing a fourth entrance, to the end away from the river, probably that by which the hall on the second floor was reached, and adds John D. Small started business in the large room. We would here observe that Mr. Small's successors are in a building longer used for church purposes. In 1831 the Universalists began their services in Kendall's Hotel, Register, Vol. IV., p. 27. but by the time the Baptists needed accommodations Medford had its Town Hall, that later sheltered the Methodists while their second home was in construction, and likewise Galen James' second colony the Mystic Church, and also the Roman Catholic. The early services of Grace Church were held in the Odd Fellows Hall, though the pleasant fact is recorded that the initial service was in one of the Congregational churches loaned for the service, and, in accordance with the custom of the Episcopal communion on the Christmas festival, was fitly decorated with evergreen.
Malden. He is now the oldest member of the New England Conference and was present and participated in the exercises of laying the corner-stone when the Medford church he served fifty years before erected their fourth house of worship in 1905. During his second year at Medford, after some improvements in the second house, efforts were made to procure an organ. The indefatigable Ladies' Aid Society sponsored the enterprise (see Register, Vol. XII, p. 91) by holding a Fair and Levee in Town Hall December 30, 1856, and secured an excellent pipe organ that served till the larger new building was erected in 1873. But one of the witty speakers at the Levee still insisted that the Best organ was at the other end of the meeting house. When, during the Civil war, Mr. Best was stationed at Milford, Mass., an incident occurred which must have been a happy surprise to him: While making a call on one of his aged parishioners, the good lady asked of the country of his birth, and he replie
ents. The Scottsville Guards, with their baggage train, arrived in town about 5 P. M. on yesterday. The company are a splendid body of men, and number 130. John L. Cochran has been elected First Lieutenant in the Albemarle Rifles, in place of Dr. W. C. N. Randolph, appointed surgeon to one of the regiments from Richmond. H. W. Wirt and Charles Wayt were made Second and Third Lieutenants. The women (we like this word better,) are working like beavers in the Court-House and Town Hall. A large number of coats and pantaloons are already finished, and several tents. They manage the tent-work without difficulty. They are getting on beautifully. John B. Strange, formerly of this place, has been appointed a Colonel of Volunteers. Mr. Strange is a fine officer, and was long the principal of a military academy in Norfolk, and for some years in Charlottesville. Our energetic friend, Wm. W. Gilmer, Esq., is making herculean efforts in this and adjoining counties to
Correspondence of the Richmond Dispatch.Dinner to Ex-Governor Floyd. Charlottesville, Va., Jan. 18, 1861. Our Town Hall was crowded last night to its utmost capacity, to hear Ex-Gov. Floyd and Hon. A. G. Brown, of Mississippi, who arrived here yesterday. Gov. F., after being introduced to the audience by Prof. James P. Holcombe in a most eloquent and appropriate manner, made an elaborate, able and masterly appeal in behalf of the rights of the South, and exhibited, in a striking light, the dangers which now threaten the people of Virginia. His speech was received with the warmest applause.--He was followed by the distinguished Senator from Mississippi, who, in a brief but eloquent speech, enumerated some of the causes which had induced his State to dissolve her connection with the Federal Union, and expressed the hope that ere long Virginia would join her in a glorious Southern Confederacy. He drew a graphic picture of the stolid indifference with which the recent rem
1 2