directly to the Engine House on hearing the cry of fire
Then followed the signatures of Zaccheus Wyman, Samuel Teel Jun, Jonathan Brooks, John Dickson, Isaac Brooks, Joseph Wyman Jr, James T Floyd, Daniel Wier, Patrick Roach, Wm Harris, Leonard Bucknam, Isaac Floyd, John Symmes 3d, Joseph Bucknam
[On same page, in same expert hand as before]
At a meeting appointed by the company and held at the house of Mr J. Johnson on Monday the fourth day of JanY 1088 . . .
Voted that Zaccheus
Reference to the town-meeting records shows that after discussion at several meetings, on April 6, 1829, it was voted to purchase a new engine for the west part of the town, and the committee for that purpose, Samuel Train, John Bishop, Leonard Bucknam, were directed to dispose of the old engine.
The new engine was called Extinguisher No. 2, and in 1837 received name of General Jackson, in honor of the President.
There is no reference to the new one in the old record book, and the last
XI, No. 3. He also stated that nearly opposite, Miss Brooks' brother Caleb lived on the site of present railway station.
As he told this in 1903 and the present station was built in 1891, and this house is shown on the Fuller plan of 1854, it indicates some later changes.
This was his only allusion to the railroad, which was opened in 1835, and whose first station house, Medford Gates, was on the east of the tracks, near High street.
He mentioned next the house owned by Leonard Bucknam, occupied by his brother-in-law, Eleazer Usher; and just below the Usher house lived Deacon Amos Warren. Warren street was cut through his farm and named in his honor.
We have been thus explicit in quoting Mr. Smith's words, as they are good history.
He began his account with Wear bridge, which in his boyhood was at the Charlestown line the Medford selectmen named as the end of High street.
Mr. Smith mentioned no other house across High street till that of Major Gershom Teel, la