Your search returned 325 results in 27 document sections:

1 2 3
s, was set by Kossuth on his visit to the United States in December, 1851. In 1837 George L. and Henry L. Stearns commenced, on Union street, the manufacture of linseed oil from seed purchased in Calcutta. In one year they made 13,500 gallons from 7,300 bushels of seed. January 30, 1849, Loss, $12,000; insurance, $8,000. Boston Post, February 1, 1849. their factory was burned and never rebuilt. Its tall chimney was afterwards moved intact across the branch canal to the shipyard of J. O. Curtis, where it now stands, minus a few of its top bricks. The tide mill on Riverside avenue, recently managed by F. E. Foster & Co., was simply a grist mill in 1847, and was run by Gershom Cutter. All the above named industries, so far as Medford is concerned, are now things of the past, but the famous Withington Bakery, carried on by machinery and without the use of fagots; the more famous Lawrence Distillery, by greatly improved methods; the Teel Carriage Factory, immensely enlarged, a
years ago. Opposite Mr. Perkins' house and just south of the hotel is a large three-story double house, which was occupied by Captain Samuel Blanchard and James O. Curtis. The former was proprietor of coach and livery stable, constable, auctioneer and lieutenant colonel of militia. He lived in the side nearest the square. Hifine physique, and was a loud, rapid talker. Later he moved to the Governor Brooks' estate on High street. He spent his last days in Sutton, New Hampshire. Mr. James O. Curtis was a leading ship builder. His yard was between Swan street extension and the river, near the site of the city stables (1903). He was a prominent man in town affairs. Later he removed to No. 196 Main street, which was built by Rufus Wade, shoe manufacturer, and is now occupied by Mr. James Golden. Mr. Curtis died in the house which he built at the corner of Main and Royall streets. Later tenants of the old house next the hotel were George Hervey, Joseph N. Gibbs and others.
iken,5 Joseph and Milton James,5 Jonathan Porter,5 Waterman & Ewell,2 Nathan Sawyer,2 Isaac and James Wellington,2 Jotham Stetson,3 Isaac H. Haskins,2 James O. Curtis,2 Abner Bartlett,1 Abigail Whitney,5 Under this association, which had for its main purpose the keeping of a temperance house, the building was enlarged 1782, 783, 1784, 785, 1786, 1787, 1788, 1789. Brooks, James W., 1824, 1825. Brooks, Thomas, 1785, 1786, 1787. Crehore, Bowen, 1817, 1818, 1819, 1820. Curtis, Eliphaz, 1807. Curtis, Lebeus, 1811. Dexter, George B., 1826, 1827, 1828. Dodge, William, 1769. Doggett, Isaac, 1754. Floyd, Hugh, 1754, 1755, 175Curtis, Lebeus, 1811. Dexter, George B., 1826, 1827, 1828. Dodge, William, 1769. Doggett, Isaac, 1754. Floyd, Hugh, 1754, 1755, 1759, 1760, 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767, 1770, 1771, 1772. Floyd, Sarah, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1747, 1748. Francis, John, Jr., 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1721, 1726. Francis, Capt. Thomas, 1783, 1784. Frost, Rufus, 1811. Goldthwait, Benjamin, 1760. Goldthwait, Charity, 1761. Hall, John, Jr
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., Female Union temperance Society. (search)
and '40's. Rev. Caleb Stetson, Rev. Hosea Ballou, 2d, Deacon Galen James, James O. Curtis and others were leaders in the crusade against liquor sellers. The Washine Society, which continued its organization for fifty-two years. Mrs. James 0. Curtis, the first secretary, recorded, Several ladies of Medford met at a room in the otic work until one by one the members were called to Come up higher. Mrs. James O. Curtis continued her work, generally as an officer, until her death in 1858. Mtetson. 1849.Mrs. George Fuller. 1850-1.Mrs. Luther H. Angier. 1852-5.Mrs. James O. Curtis. 1856-1898.Mrs. Samuel Joyce. Vice-Presidents. 1846-8.Mrs. George Faterman. 1853.Mrs. Henry Withington. 1854-5.Mrs. Samuel Joyce. 1856-8.Mrs. James O. Curtis. 1859-1865.Mrs. Timothy Cotting. 1866-1873.Mrs. George Richardson. 18Albert C. Rogers. 1885-95.Mrs. George Richardson. Secretaries. 1846.Mrs. James O. Curtis. 1847.Miss Mary R. Bishop, Miss Ann E. Perkins. 1848.Miss C. M. Blake
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 10., Extracts from Selectmen's Records. (search)
7, 1838. Luther Angier made an Application in Writing to the Board for the purpose of procuring him a license to Sell Spirituous Liquors.— On Application of Luther Angier as aforesaid— Voted. Galen James & Timothy Cotting (affirmative) James O. Curtis (negative) That a recommendation be granted to Said Angier as follows— We the Subscribers a Majority of the Selectmen of the town of Medford, do certify that Luther Angier has applied to us to be recommended as a Vender of Spirituous Liquo the applications aforesaid—your concurrence in our views & the wishes of a large majority of the inhabitants & legal voters of this town is most humbly and respectfully requested— Signed by the Selectmen. [Galen James, Timothy Cotting, James O. Curtis] Medford, May 7, 1838 Vol. 4, p. 73, 74, 75. Monument in honor of John Brooks. August 6, 1838. David Kimball in behalf of Subscribers asked permission to erect a Granite Monument to the memory of John Brooks in the Old Burying Gro
e issuing of spirits to the occupants of the poor house was prohibited, and the order stood on the books for some years thereafter. In 1836, 7 and 8, he was elected selectman on the temperance ticket. One of his associates at this time was James O. Curtis, another shipbuilder and ardent temperance worker. The following extract from the selectmen's records defines their position. It is from a petition to the County Commissioners who according to the law at that time had the right to issue s communication may have been pithy. Orthodox to the backbone, he did not assert sectarianism in his temperance work; for in Medford, Rev. Caleb Stetson, Unitarian, Rev. Hosea Ballou, Universalist, with his parishioners, Timothy Cotting and James O. Curtis, and others from every denomination in town, worked to stamp out intemperance, and to encourage legislation against illegal liquor selling. The fight against intemperance and slavery, in which Deacon James was prominent, brought down all
pond was considered too small for the rapidly growing city, and fortunately for Medford (and Boston as well) was not taken. Mystic Pond was taken by Charlestown, and that city finding its supply abundant, supplied other cities and towns. James O. Curtis and others caused to be inserted in the warrant for a town meeting, November 6, 1866, an article, reading, to see if the town will instruct the selectmen to petition the Legislature for authority to procure a town water supply from the Charlo take from Spot Pond, and that Melrose probably would later. In the meantime the following prominent men, Samuel E. Sewall, Daniel W. Gooch and George W. Heath of Melrose, Elisha S. Converse, J. H. Abbott and George P. Cox of Malden, and James O. Curtis, Charles V. Bemis and Benjamin F. Hayes of Medford, had secured an act of the Legislature of 1867, incorporating them as the Spot Pond Water Company. The end in view was, to quote Judge Hayes, saving the pond for the use of the towns, if wi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16., An old ship-master's experience. (search)
enmast had to be cut away to save a worse disaster, The captain's wife (now living on Dudley street in this city), who was on board, was lowered over the bow into a life-boat just as this' happened and taken ashore. The ship, although ruined, did not sink, and with the damaged cargo was sold. Captain Holmes recovered his instruments and belongings, and with his wife came down the coast by steamship to Panama, thence across the isthmus to Colon, and then to Medford, where he lived until his decease. His genial good nature and ready wit and fund of sea yarns were appreciated by his neighbors. Mrs. Holmes traversed the sea with her husband twelve years. The old hulk that crashed into his vessel in Valparaiso Harbor and wrought such destruction was the ship George Peabody, built in Medford at the yard of James O. Curtis. It was somewhat singular that Captain Holmes should take up his residence in Medford within sight of the spot where the Peabody was launched. Fred H. C. Woolley.
bering about six hundred) not one is now known to be in service; and of the buildings in the many ship-yards but one remains in any form as a relic of an industry once so thriving. A photographic copy of Mr. Woolley's picture of the Pilgrim has been purchased by Mr. Henry Hastings and hung in the Henry Hastings Room (commemorative of his father) in the Old State House in Boston. Mr. Hastings takes an especial pride in keeping this room thoroughly furnished with whatever he can find of models, pictures, plans and interesting mementos of his father's ships. One material relic of those busy days is Medford's only school-bell (that in the tower of the Curtis school), donated the town by James O. Curtis, in whose ship-yard it formerly did service. There it rang at the opening and closing hours of daily labor. Very few are living of the many who assembled at the call of the Old Bughorn. Is there anyone in Medford or elsewhere who can tell how the ship-yard bell acquired that name?
Medford Branch railroad. NOW that Medford's railway facilities, and especially the public accommodation by steam trains from the center, is being discussed by the Board of Trade, a sketch of the Branch may be timely. This railroad was chartered May 7, 1845, on petition of James O. Curtis and others. In town meeting of June 22, 1845, the petition was endorsed by vote, and another vote instructed the selectmen to appear before the Legislature and look after the town's interests. The Boston & Maine Railroad was in its infancy then, and as late as March, 1842, had no tracks nearer Boston than Wilmington. From that point its trains went to Boston over the pioneer railroad, the Boston & Lowell, some four miles of which lay in the western section of Medford. At about the latter date Edward Smith, who was road master (of Boston & Maine) many years, took an engine across town from the siding at West Medford, through the streets to Malden, to be used there on the construction train
1 2 3