Your search returned 92 results in 21 document sections:
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The Walnut
Tree Hill division of the stinted pasture. (search)
The Tama-Houre-Laune. In our most recent exchange, the Washington Quarterly, are copies of letters of Capt. Eliah Grimes of the brig Owhyhee written to Sprague & Marshall, Boston, merchants in the Pacific coast trade of a century ago. After mentioning much sickness and the death of several men, the captain names one man he had decided to send back to the islands, one who came out in the Tama-houre-laune, and also says, they have cold pains in breast and head, which I think is owing in great measure to the brig being so fully salted; she is damp from one end to the other. We do not find any reference to the brig Owhyee (former spelling of Hawaii) in the list of Medford-built vessels, and cannot be certain which brig was so fully salted, but we find the names of two brigs built in 1820 in Medford by Thatcher Magoun for Josiah Marshall. One was the Tama-houre-laune, 162.63 tons, the other the Jones, 163.36 tons, the seventy-seventh and seventy-eighth in the notable list. A
Lieutenant Sprague's long fence. We are presenting an extract from the early records of Charlestown, rela
nted Common of the one partie: And Leffttenant: Richard Sprague: of the other partie: Concerning the fencing th ecte men in the behalfe of the propriatores And Richard Sprague for him selfe: his heires Executors And Adminis ent.
Signed And Delivred In the Presents of Richard Sprague, Solomon Phippes, Edward Burtt.
LieutenantLieutenant Sprague was one of the three brothers who, with four others, formed the exploring party sent by Endicott from n and Harvard streets in Medford.)
The fence Richard Sprague built was probably mainly a stone wall, topped Harvard street, near St. Clement's church.
Lieutenant Sprague was fifty-seven years old when he contracted ached, beyond which they may not pass.
Where Lieutenant Sprague began his fence, the Mystic Valley parkway cr birds, pheasant and quail, find sanctuary.
Lieutenant Sprague may have seen such, and perhaps larger game,
Medford Square in 1924 We are presenting a view of Medford square, well worth preserving, as of historic interest. It marks the spot where the settlement of Medford began. Prior to that time it was the haunt of the red man. Salem and High streets have taken the place of the Indian trail, and the fording place of another joined it nearby at the left. At the right was Mr. Cradock's ferme house, and over this trail came the three Sprague brothers from Salem in 1628-29 and found Cradock's men here at work. In 1630 Winthrop's men settled on his Charlestown farm, whose northeast corner (the Mystic parkway) is the foreground of the view. Five or six years later, Cradock's agent built here a bridge, ever since maintained in various forms. The teetering draw gave place to two granite arches, since lengthened and widened to present enduring form. Behind the iron fencing of the parkway is the Cradock dam which holds back the incoming tides; and the four of lower height which hold
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., Old ships and ship-building days of