Your search returned 98 results in 20 document sections:
Monuments. Probably one of the first objects of the stranger's attention in approaching Mount Auburn, will be the Egyptian gateway at the principal entrance. Of the design of this we have spoken before. It has met with general favor; but the
nsiderable or conspicuous Botanical establishment, to be connected with the Cemetery, (as the reader of the history of Mount Auburn will have noticed was the design,) has, as we understand, been long since abandoned.
One of the most remarkable in every respect of the monuments at Mount Auburn will be likely to attract the visitor's notice-notwithstanding the charms of sweet little Garden Pond which he leaves on his left-before he has advanced far up the principal avenue leading from the gate- e Committee first above named, viz: That a place for the permanent deposit of the body of Dr. Spurzheim be prepared at Mount Auburn, in case it should not be requested to be sent to Europe by his friends and relatives; and that a monument be erected
Sweet Auburn and Mount Auburn. Mrs. Caroline F. Orne. Under these two names-Sweet Auburn and Mount Auburn — have the beautiful grounds, now endeared to countless hearts, been known and loved for more than a century. In 1635, Simon Stone, an Mount Auburn — have the beautiful grounds, now endeared to countless hearts, been known and loved for more than a century. In 1635, Simon Stone, an English gentleman, came to New England with his family and settled on the banks of the Charles River; and his broad lands, after having passed from father to son in unbroken line of descent, for over two hundred years, form now portions of the Cambridge Cemetery and of Mount Auburn. In the former a small tablet, marked Simon Stone, denotes the spot where still lives and bears fruit one of the ancient pear trees planted by the pilgrim's hand, and looked on with reverential interest by his descendants to the eleventh generation. Stone's Mount, on which the Tower in Mount Auburn stands, formed a part also of the many acres of Simon Stone and his descendants. These beautiful grounds possessed every variety of charm that nature could bestow
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Genealogical Register (search)
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, A. (search)
A. Abbott, Daniel, owned a house in 1635, at the N. W. corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn streets, which he sold to John Russell, and removed to Providence, R. I., about 1639. No trace is found here of his family. 2. George, in 1715, purchased a building lot, near Adams's gate. By w. Rebecca, he had Jacob, b. 25 Jan. 1715-16; George. b. 2 Oct. 1718; Rebecca, bap. 24 June 1721; Rebecca, bap, 22 Nov. 1724; Samuel, bap. 12 Mar. 1726-7. Abdy, Matthew, Boston, came in the Abigail, 1635,
ew (1), b. about 1654, m. Deborah, dau. of Andrew Stevenson of Camb., and wid. of Robert Wilson of Sudbury.
Widow Ruth Abdy, who d. 10 Dec. 1762, aged 93, was a subsequent wife of Matthew.
He is supposed to have resided at the S. W. corner of Mt. Auburn and Holyoke streets, and to have died in 1730, leaving no posterity.
For several years he was a fisherman; but in 1718 he was appointed College Sweeper and Bedmaker, an office in which his widow succeeded him. After his death, Father Abdy's Wi
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, T. (search)
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904,
Mary M. McKay
Mary M. McKay. In the death of Miss Mary M. McKay of 254 School street, the Historical Society has lost a faithful and devoted member. Miss McKay was the daughter of the late George and Jane McKay of Charlestown, where she was born sixty years ago. For the past fourteen years she had made her home with her sister, Mrs. James G. Hinckley, of this city. Her death occurred after a five weeks illness, on Saturday, August 29, 1903. Besides Mrs. Hinckley, two other sisters, Mrs. Jacob T. Hutchinson and Miss Eliza J. McKay, also a member of this society, and a brother, George E. McKay, superintendent of the Boston markets, are left to mourn her loss. The interment was in the family lot at Mt. Auburn. Miss McKay, by her kind and cheerful disposition, and by her many other admirable qualities of mind and heart, won the esteem and friendship of a large circle of friends in this vicinity.