hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 502 results in 357 document sections:

... 31 32 33 34 35 36
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., The Medford Indian monument (search)
In 1852 the canal ceased operation. Its location was either purchased by or reverted to the former owners, and in some places it was obliterated. But Mr. Edward Brooks was in no hurry to remove the graceful arch. Perhaps he respected the wish of his kinsman, the historian, who in 1855 wrote: we truly hope that this picturesque object may be allowed to remain in memoriam, —a gravestone to mark where the highway of the waters lies buried. He was succeeded by his son Francis as owner in 1878. The Medford historian (Rev. Charles Brooks) also wrote that no Indian necropolis has as yet been discovered, though one probably exists on the borders of our pond. He doubtless made this assertion because of the record of Standish's visit, but before his passing away one was discovered. An account of this is given on page 98 of the Usher history. At that time (1862) five skeletons were found beneath the lawn in the rear of the house of the late Edward Brooks. One was in perfect cond
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., The Medford High School under Lorin L. Dame (search)
fluence in the school than the early judgment of this sagacious committee, and they struck the keynote almost as well with another teacher dearly loved and appreciated for over a quarter of a century, Miss Caroline E. Swift, who came to Medford in 1878 on the resignation of Miss Barr. Miss Swift came to us with a professional reputation already well established, and she at once took a firm hold on the duties of her new position. The Committee observe with pleasure the interest she has awakenedtions, and occupying the whole of three successive afternoons. It covers the results of the principal studies in the grammar schools, and furnishes, so far as it goes, a pretty thorough test of the acquisitions made by the pupils. The Committee (1878) were gratified with the general appearance of the papers presented by the applicants. A very large proportion of them were neatly, many of them handsomely, prepared, and the text creditably punctuated and spelt. The standard of seventy-five per
s a few fissures in its outward crust, the Powder House is good for another century if for a day. Nothing is wanting but its long arms, for the Old Mill to have stepped bodily out of a canvas of Rembrandt or a cartoon of Albert Durer. It carries us in imagination beyond seas to the banks of the Scheldt,—to the land of burgomasters, dikes and guilders. It was left to us to find in another quarter the legend. In an occasional paper styled the Old Powder House, printed for a church fair in 1878, was A Legend of the Old Mill, by Mrs. L. B. Pillsbury,—in all thirty-two verses. That writer (unlike the former one) had the grace to append a footnote, thus:— Suggested by the facts given in Drake's Fields and Mansions of Middlesex. As the eviction of the Acadians from Grand Pre was in 1755, and the sale of the old mill to the province for a powder house in 1747, there is room for doubt of the legend. But the writer certainly followed Drake's prose in poetic form. Our space forbi<
ct the people from the storm. There was no agent, and if one wished to travel, he flagged the train himself, got his baggage aboard as best he could, and then climbed aboard himself. After dark a lantern was used, but more often the passenger did not wish to be bothered with it and so he carried a newspaper and as the train came in sight he scratched his brimstone match, lighted the newspaper and put it in the middle of the track and the train stopped. The Wellington station was built in 1878-79 and Walter S. Sherman of Medford looked after the fires and cleaning until three months before the appointment of the first agent. On April 21, 1883, Mr, Charles A. Ellsworth, a native of Ipswich, Mass., was appointed agent and entered service, which position he held continuously until May 8, 1911, when he resigned. When Mr. Ellsworth first took charge Wellington was a flag station and no tickets were sold. Until the switch tower was built, about twenty years ago, the switches at th
The Daily Dispatch: November 22, 1862., [Electronic resource], The appearance of the Yankee Army in Front of Fredericksburg — shells Thrown into the town — supposed destination of the threatening force. (search)
t kept,) and fically all the States seceded but and North Carolina. Here was a precedent in the formation of the United States Constitution, which the vain to aside by various preposition to rank the Senate the judge or to give the President the power, and to give congress the power to negative State action — all of which were rejected. No judge was left but the States themselves. Let the Northern Democrats look back to the old land marks. Even John in a speech delivered in New York in 1878 that "Nations must be the judge whether compacts are broken." And he uttered another statement which it is useless to censed to the consideration of the own party, but which surely the Northern Democracy, who always protected to be the peculiar friends of the South, might adopt without homage to cense or humanity. He said that "when the fraternity feeling was gone between the State, then it was time to separate in peace and return to their original state." Is the Northern Democracy less
Financial and Commercial. At the auction sales of Messrs Lancaster & Co. on Wednesday last, the following prices were realized: Confederate Bonds.--Eight per cent, bonds coupons, due 1864 to 1868, '$110 to 110½ and int; eight per cent bonds, coupon, due 1872 to 1878, 120½a and int; eight per cent bonds, registered, due 1866 to 1879, 120a121, and int; 7 per cent bonds 106½ and int; 6 per cent bonds, 96a98, and int; bonds of 15 M loan, coupon, 171½a175, and int; bonds of 15 M loan, regist's, 160, int; cotton interest loan, 175--flat. Other Bonds.--N. C. 6's, old issue, 580; N. C. 8's, 285, and int. No other State bonds sold. A bond of $1,000 of the Florida railroad company brought 150 per hundred. Bank and other Stocks.--Bank of Commonwealth, 190a193; Bank of Richmond, 141; Traders' Bank, 180; Exchange Bank, 178; Virginia Fire and Marine Insurance, 86; Merchants' Insurance, 62½a63, Richmond and Petersburg Trading company 505. The same firm also sold $19,100 of
the family; one of the heirs may sell their portion to the other, and he provides that the heirs may live on the place in common, contributing equally to its support. When any of his blood relations cease to reside on the place, then the house and land is to revert to the Government then having dominion over them. He wills that his slaves shall be free, as follows: the day of emancipation being July 4: Gilbert Kay, 1866; James Brown, 1865, June, 1867; Ellen Brown, 1870; Henry Brown, 1878; William Brown, 1881; Judson, 1887; Lucy, 1872; Charles Sumner, 1876; and Ben, an old man; whenever he sees proper to take his freedom. He desires that the remains of his late wife shall be interred in the Congressional Burying Ground, and put in a coffin made of granite, the top to be placed on two granite pins, one inch in diameter, and one inch in height.--So that they may be placed in a fire proof building to be erected in the southeast end of the garden, which is to hold the stereot
... 31 32 33 34 35 36