previous next

KADYANDA (Üzümlü) Lycia, Turkey.

About 19 km NE of Fethiye (Makri). Of the ancient authorities only Pliny (HN 5.101) mentions the city, but the name is evidently of high antiquity, and the monuments and inscriptions go back to the 5th c. B.C. The Lycian name was Kadawanti. Despite the city's obscurity the ruins are quite impressive though of comparatively late date. The site is on a steep mountain over 900 m above sea level and 300 m above the village. It was defended by a ring wall which survives chiefly on the S side. In the city center is an open space 9 m wide, running straight for over 90 m, with six rows of seats on one side; this is recognized as a stadium from the numerous agonistic inscriptions found in it; two local athletic festivals are mentioned in these and other inscriptions. Adjoining this on the S is a building identified by an inscription lying close by as the baths built by Vespasian, and on the N a Doric temple badly ruined. Farther to the S is a stoa some 100 m in length, which may have been part of the gymnasium mentioned in an inscription, and at the S end of the site is a small but attractive theater, facing S, with 18 rows of seats. The masonry is mostly Roman, and the cavea forms an exact semicircle; but some of the masonry seems older, and the stage building is largely of polygonal work.

Tombs are very numerous. Many close to the city have the vaulted form characteristic of Olympos in E Lycia, but not of Lycia as a whole. Of the others, three in particular are remarkable. Two of these are at the foot of the mountain about 1.6 km E and SE respectively from Üzümlü. The first is a pillar tomb of Lycian type, as at Xanthos and elsewhere; the grave chamber at the top is lacking. It carries an inscription in Lycian, now badly weathered and largely illegible. The second is a tomb of house type hewn entirely from an outcrop of rock and standing free on all four sides. All sides except the back carry reliefs, in which the figures are accompanied by their names in Lycian and Greek; on the flat roof is a broken sarcophagus, also decorated with reliefs. The third tomb is on the slope of the mountain towards Üzümlü it too is cut solidly out of a huge boulder, now tilted over, and has reliefs on the long sides. These tombs are dated to about 400 B.C. or a little earlier.


C. Fellows, Lycia (1840) 115-22I; E. Petersen & F. von Luschan, Reisen in Lykien (1889) I 141-44; TAM (1901) 28-32; TAM II.2 (1930) 240ffMI.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: