(Çomakli, formerly Fğla) Turkey.
Town in Pisidia 25 km N of Korkuteli. Pogla had city
status in the later Hellenistic period, when it issued city
decrees; its subsequent status depends upon the interpretation of an inscription found at Çomakli, which perhaps implies that it belonged to the commune Milyadum
mentioned by Cicero (Verr
. 1.95). It is listed by Ptolemy
and Hierokles (Sokla) and issued coins in the 2d and
3d c. A.D.
The acropolis hill, directly above the village, carries
a rough polygonal circuit wall now reduced to a single
course. Just below the wall on the S are four rows of
rock-cut seats. In the village itself are the remains of
a massive building of the Roman period still standing up
to 7 m high. Built tombs, originally handsome but now
ruined, can be seen in the village and on the slopes above.
Inscriptions and sculptured blocks of all kinds are exceptionally numerous.
M. Rostovtzeff, JOAI
4 (1901) Beibl.
(1906-) III, 409; A. Wilhelm, Glotta
(1925) 81-82; A.H.M. Jones, The Cities of the Eastern
2d ed. (1971) 142-43; G. E. Bean,
10 (1960) 55-65.
G. E. BEAN