(Castelleone di Suasa) Umbria, Italy.
A Roman municipium in the Gallic march of Umbria
(Suasa Senonum) and belonging to the tribus Camilia. It
was situated in the Piano Volpello ca. 3 km from the
modern settlement and was served by a road from Cales
to Sena Gallica. It was probably destroyed by Alaric in
409. The ruins, extensive but overgrown, include walls
and gates, a theater, and an amphitheater. Architectural
spoils from the ruins and inscriptions ornament buildings
at Castelleone, and a small museum is maintained at
S. Lorenzo in Campo. Much material is now elsewhere,
notably a large fragment of a gilt bronze horse's head
(Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore).
G. Giorgi, Suasa Senonum
Saveriano, Parma (1953)MI
7 (1966) 536 (G.
L. RICHARDSON, JR.