Military order of the Loyal Legion of the United States: headquarters Commandery of the State of Maine.

Portland, May 6, 1914
The following Tribute to the memory of

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain,
late Major-General U. S. V.
was adopted at A stated meeting of this Commandery, May 6, 1914.

Nothing is here for tears, nothing to wail
Or knock the breast; no weakness, no contempt,
Dispraise or blame; nothing but well and fair,
And what may quiet us in a death so noble.

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, a charter Companion of this Commandery, died at Portland, Maine, Tuesday, February 24, 1914. He was born in Brewer, September 8, 1828, the son of Joshua and Sarah Dupee (Brastow) Chamberlain. After a course in the public schools of Brewer he attended a military school in Ellsworth where he fitted for West Point. He entered Bowdoin in 1848 and graduated in 1852 with the highest honors. At his mother's instance he then took a three years course at the Bangor Theological Seminary, fitting himself for the ministry. The master's oration delivered by him at Bowdoin in 1855 on “Law and liberty” so impressed the officers of the college that they invited him to become an instructor in logic and natural theology. The following year he was elected professor of rhetoric and oratory. In 1861 he was elected to the chair of modern languages.

In his application to the Pennsylvania Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States for membership he gave the following brief statement of his services:

Lieutenant Colonel, 20th Maine Infantry, Aug. 8, 1862; Colonel, June 13, 1863; discharged for promotion July 3, 1863. Brigadier General, U. S. Volunteers, June 18, 1864; honorably mustered out January 15, 1866. Brevetted Major General, U. S. Volunteers, March 29, 1865, for conspicuous gallantry and meritorious services in action on the Quaker Road, Va. Awarded the Medal of Honor under resolution of Congress for daring heroism and great tenacity in holding his position on the Little Round Top and carrying the advanced position on the Great Round Top at the battle of Gettysburg, Pa., July 2, 1863.

He was elected a member Nov. 1, 1865, Class 1, Insignia 62; transferred to Commandery of Maine, June 6, 1866,.charter member.

Professor Chamberlain made several attempts to be relieved from duty at Bowdoin that he might enter the service of his country but it was not until the first of August, 1862, that he was enabled to do so through the permission of his college to take a leave of absence “for the purpose of visiting Europe.” He then proffered his services for any military duty that might be assigned to him and thereupon received from Governor Washburn the appointment of Lieutenant Colonel of the 20th Maine Volunteer Infantry then being organized. He promptly accepted the appointment in spite of the efforts of the college to restrain him and was mustered in on the 8th of August and commanded the camp until Col. Adelbert Ames took command of the regiment near the close of the month. The 20th was at once ordered to the front and was assigned to Butterfield's “Light Brigade” of the 5th Corps, General Porter, of the Army of the Potomac.

It was in a good hour for himself and for his country that he entered the service under such conditions and auspices. He was at an age when enthusiasm is still quick and inspiring and the judgment has been drilled into coolness and leadership by some experience in life and duty. With the docility of youth he had the independence and self-reliance of manhood.

Ames, the colonel, but recently from West Point, could not rest until he had advanced his regiment to as close an approximation of his ideals as the exigencies of active campaigning permitted. He found an able second in his Lieutenant. Under such instruction and leadership the 20th, composed, officers and men, of the best Yankee stock, was not long in becoming a soldierly entity to be relied upon and to be reckoned with in the day of battle. The 5th Corps was generally considered the “pet” corps of the army, partly because it included the division of regulars, and was thought to be in a little closer touch with headquarters than any other corps. The superior officers of the 5th and other corps with whom Colonel Chamberlain came in contact, officially and socially, were predisposed in his favor by the knowledge of the vocation he had left at his country's call, and by the inference of scholarly ability naturally accompanying that knowledge, and also by his marked and agreeable personality and the soldierly qualities he displayed.

The 20th immediately on joining was marched away to the Maryland Campaign. The 5th Corps was not actively engaged in the battle of Antietam but occupied a position of “watchful waiting” and smelt the battle from afar off. The first engagement in which the 20th took part was a reconnoissance at Shepherdstown Ford on the 20th of September. On the 12th of October Chamberlain led a reconnoissance to a pass of South Mountain. He took part in the action at Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, and was slightly wounded in the right cheek. He commanded the regiment, Colonel Ames being on other duty, the night of the evacuation and covered the retreat of the army from the advanced position on the heights in rear of the city. In all the affairs in which the regiment took part that winter Colonel Chamberlain was present. The 20th did not take part in the battle of Chancellorsville because it had been isolated through the prevalence of small-pox in its ranks. Upon Colonel Chamberlain's request for some duty the 20th was assigned to the protection of the signal and telegraph lines of communication. On the 20th of May, 1863, he was appointed Colonel of his regiment. On that date the 20th was strengthened by the assignment to it of a hundred and twenty men of the 2nd Maine, a two-years' regiment, whose term had expired.

At the battle of Gettysburg, on the 2d of July, 1863, Colonel Chamberlain rendered a service which ranks among the most conspicuous and brilliant in all history of battles and earned for him the popular title of “Hero of little Round Top.” That height was a boulder-strewn hill on the left of our line and had not been occupied. When General Warren, Engineer in Chief on Meade's staff, discovered that fact and that a strong force of the enemy was evidently preparing to move forward and take possession of it and thus gravely compromise our whole line of battle, he hastily gathered for its defence such troops as he could reach, among them Vincent's brigade in which was the 20th Maine. The brigade hastily mounted the hill and formed in line near the crest, the 20th Maine on the left of the line, barely in time to meet the onset of Law's brigade of Hood's division. The rebels came on as if determined to take possession of the crest and were met by the determination of its defenders to hold it. The opposing lines were but a few yards apart and in some instances there were hand to hand encounters.

Colonel Chamberlain, discovering that a force of the enemy was moving towards his left flank and rear, promptly changed the front of his left wing and extended the line by taking intervals and forming in single rank. The enemy made fierce onslaughts time after time but had to fall back before the stout resistance of this thin line. At length the situation became so desperate through the persistence of the enemy and the lack of ammunition that Chamberlain ordered a charge. The “pine swung against the palm” and overcame it. The enemy was driven down the hill and to complete his discomfiture Captain Morrill with his company, ordered to the left front on the arrival of the 20th, as skirmishers, formed behind a wall and with a few sharpshooters who had joined them, poured such a hot fire into the flank and rear of the fleeing enemy that those who did not surrender stayed not upon the order of their going. It is no wonder that Longstreet reported “Hood's left was held as in a vise,” and that Chamberlain received the personal and official thanks of his commanding officers. The importance of the stand made by Chamberlain and his men of Maine has never failed of recognition by any military student or historian of the battle.

In the shades of evening Chamberlain was ordered to take possession of Great Round Top and he skilfully carried out the order.

Soon after Gettysburg, General Chamberlain was assigned by General Griffin to the command of the 3d brigade, 2d division of the 5th corps, and was retained in it for a long time in spite of attempts to replace him by some general officer. He took part in the Culpepper and Centreville campaign and at Rappahannock Station his horse was shot under him.

A severe malarial fever culminated in such prostration that he was sent to Washington for treatment in November, 1863. When recovered sufficiently to perform the duty he was assigned by the Secretary of War to service on an important court-martial sitting in Washington. His efforts to go to the front were not successful until after the Wilderness. He resumed command of his brigade and half an hour after he was ordered to take seven regiments and make a charge on the works in front of the Court House at Spottsylvania. It was deferred, however, until evening when it was successfully executed. On the first of June, 1864, a brigade was formed by the consolidation of two brigades of Pennsylvania troops of the 1st Corps and Chamberlain was assigned to the command by General Warren, commanding the corps. At Petersburg, on the 18th of June, he led an attack on a strong position from which a heavy artillery fire was directed on his advance. Many of his men were swept down and Chamberlain's horse was killed by a shell. The attack was pushed with vigor and while leading it on foot Chamberlain fell, shot through by a ball which passed through the body from hip to hip severing arteries and fracturing bones. He was carried from the field and taken to hospital at Annapolis where for two months he lay at the point of death.

After the General had been taken to the field hospital the regular surgeon in charge declared the case hopeless. Companion A. O. Shaw, surgeon of the 20th Maine, after an exhausting day's labor, rode through the woods at night and finding the General, remained with him, watching and caring for him and performing a surgical operation he found necessary, until his patient seemed out of immediate danger. His friends who were cognizant of the case have always felt General Chamberlain's life was saved by Dr. Shaw's skill and faithfulness.

In his last illness, Dr. Shaw attended his old chief with the same faithfulness he had shown in caring for him so many years before.

At the end of five months, and before he could mount a horse or walk a hundred yards, he resumed command of his brigade. Before he was taken from the field he was assured of his promotion. After his arrival at Annapolis he received a telegram as follows:

Headqrs. Army of the U. S. June 20, 1864.
To Col. J. L. Chamberlain, 20th Maine Infantry.
Special Order No. 39. 1st-Col. J. L. Chamberlain, 20th Maine Inf'y Volunteers, for meritorious and efficient services on the field of battle and especially for gallant conduct in leading his brigade against the enemy at Petersburg on the 18th inst., in which he was dangerously wounded, hereby, in pursuance of the authority of the Secretary of War, is appointed Brig. Gen. of U. S. Volunteers to rank as such from the 18th day of June, 1864, subject to the approval of the President.

U. S. Grant, Lieut. Get.

This is the only instance in the war of promotion on the battlefield. The terrible wound received on the 18th of June, 1864, caused him suffering throughout his life and at intervals incapacitated him for work of any kind.

Resuming his command under conditions that would have amply excused him from active service he was at once employed in operations along the Weldon Railroad. His condition was so severely affected by the hardships of duty and the inclemency of the weather that at the end of a month his corps commander insisted on his going North for treatment. While recuperating he declined many offers of attractive positions in civil life. After a month in the care of surgeons he stole away from them and leaving his room for the first time made the painful journey to the front and took command of a new brigade composed of New York and Pennsylvania regiments.

On the 29th of March, 1865, the final struggle between the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia began. The honor of the advance was given to General Chamberlain. With his brigade and a battery, after a long and severe battle against vastly superior numbers, in which every one of Chamberlain's mounted officers was either killed or wounded, he himself wounded in the breast and arm and his horse shot under him, he drove the enemy from his position and opened the way to the Boydton Plank Road. For this action he was brevetted Major General by President Lincoln.

On the second day after, General Chamberlain, in spite of all his wounds, was summoned to the command of the extreme left to resist an attack being made in force. He not only did this successfully but gallantly and skilfully made an assault on the works, drove the enemy, captured many prisoners and effected a lodgment on the White Oak Road.

At the battle of Five Forks on the following day Chamberlain commanded two brigades on the extreme right. The 20th Maine was now in his command and occupied the post of honor. In this severe action Chamberlain's own brigade, the smallest in the division, captured 1050 men, 19 officers and five battle flags,--one half the captures of their division.

The next day in the advance on the South Side Railroad he still had the advance. He drove Fitz Hugh Lee's division of cavalry across the railroad, captured a train, and routed the enemy from his position. In the subsequent pursuit he took many prisoners and a large quantity of material. He marched all night and arrived at Appomattox Court House to aid the cavalry which was being hard-pushed by the opposing infantry. He formed under General Sheridan's eye, other troops formed on his left and the line went forward driving the enemy through the town until the flag of truce came in and put an end to hostilities.

General Chamberlain was designated to receive with the division he then temporarily commanded the formal surrender of the arms and colors of Lee's army on the 12th of April, 1865.

The description of this historic ceremony by Gen. Morris Schaaf in his “Sunset of the Confederacy,” in its vivid and picturesque language, seems so well suited to the occasion and the chivalrous character of the principal actors, Chamberlain and Gordon, that we quote it:--

“I believe,” he says,

that the selection of Chamberlain to represent the Army of the Potomac was providential in this, that he, in the way he discharged his duty, represented the spiritually-real of the world. And by this I mean the lofty conceptions of what in human conduct is manly and merciful, showing in daily life consideration for others and on the battlefield linking courage with magnanimity and sharing an honorable enemy's woes. Chamberlain's troops, facing westward and in single rank formation, having gained their position were brought to an “order arms.” The Confederates, in plain view, then began to strike their few weather-worn scattered tents, seized their muskets and for the last time fell into line. Pretty soon, along Chamberlain's ranks the word passed: “Here they come.” On they come and Gordon is riding at the head of the column. On he leads the men who had stood with him and whose voices had more than once screamed like the voices of swooping eagles as victory showed her smile; but now he and all are dumb. They are gaining the right of Chamberlain's line; now Gordon is abreast of it; his eyes are down and he is drinking the very lees for he thinks that all those men in blue, standing within a few feet of him at ‘order arms’ are gloating over the spectacle. Heavy lies his grief as on before the lines he rides, and now he is almost opposite Chamberlain who sits there mounted, the Maltese cross, the badge of the 5th Corps, and the Stars and Stripes displayed before him: lo a bugle peals and instantly the whole Federal line from right to left comes to a “carry,” the marching salute.

General Chamberlain has said: “Gordon catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and taking the meaning, wheels superbly, and making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of the sword to the stirrup; then facing his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual-honor answering honor. On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; nor a cheer nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying; nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead.”

Great in the broad and high sense, was the cause battled for and spontaneous and knightly was this act of Chamberlain's, lending a permanent glow to the close of the war like that of banded evening clouds at the end of an all-day beating rain. It came from the heart and it went to the heart; and when ‘taps’ shall sound for Chamberlain I wish that I could be in hearing, hear Maine's granite coast with its green islands and moon-light reflecting coves taking them up in succession from Portland to Eastport, and as the ocean's voice dies away, hear her vast wilderness of hemlock, spruce and pine repeating them with majestic pride for her beloved son.

It was not mere chance that Chamberlain was selected and that he called on the famous corps to salute their old intrepid enemy at the last solemn ceremonial. Chance, mere chance? No, for God, whenever men plough the fields of great deeds in this world, sows seed broadcast for the food of the creative powers of the mind. What glorified tenderness that courtly act has added to the scene! How it, and the courage of both armies, Lee's character and tragic lot, Grant's magnanimity and Chamberlain's chivalry, have lifted the historic event up to a lofty, hallowed summit for all people. I firmly believe that Heaven ordained that the end of that epochmaking struggle should not be characterized by the sapless, dreary commonplace; for with pity, through four long years, she had looked down on those high-minded battling armies, and out of love for them both, saw to it that deeds of enduring color should flush the end.

General Chamberlain's account of the surrender read at a reunion of his old brigade some years ago, is appended to “The attack and defense of little Round Top,” by Oliver Willcox Norton.

After the surrender Chamberlain was assigned to the command of a division and with it occupied a long portion of the South Side Railroad for some time. He led the triumphal entry into Richmond and in the Grand Review in Washington. When the army was broken up he was assigned to another command; but active operations being over, he declined, and on the 24th of August, 1865, he repaired to his home for the surgical treatment and rest which his war-worn and war-torn frame required. In the January following he was mustered out. Immediately after the surrender, General Griffin, his corps commander, addressed a special communication to headquarters urging General Chamberlain's promotion to the full rank of Major General for distinguished and gallant services on the left, including the White Oak Road, Five Forks and Appotomattox Court House, “where,” says General Griffin, “his bravery and efficiency were such as to entitle him to the highest commendation. In the last action, the 9th of April, his command had the advance, and was driving the enemy rapidly before it when the announcement of General Lee's surrender was made.” The recommendation was cordially approved by Generals Meade and Grant and forwarded to Washington where assurances were given that the promotion should be made.

The limitations of this memorial permit only the mere outline of General Chamberlain's services. It would require a volume to do them justice. Much information in regard to them may be found in the official reports, in published lives and letters of participants in the war and in the many papers, lectures and addresses of the General. The many expressions of his superior officers prove how highly he was regarded as a soldier and a leader-always praise, never blame or criticism.

In 1866 he was made the candidate of the Republican party for governor and was elected by a majority of nearly thirty thousand. Three terms in succession followed. Respect and admiration for the soldier-governor were not limited by party lines. His four years of service were an “era of good feeling.” His messages were admirable documents. They breathed of loyalty and state pride and his recommendations were made with care and full consideration and had only in view the welfare and advancement of the state and people. All the duties of his office and the many functions to which he was called by the people were performed with thoroughness, grace and dignity and to the enhancement of the great love and consideration in which he was held. His reputation as a statesman was worthy of that he had made as a soldier.

In 1871 Bowdoin claimed the professor who had left the college for so long a “leave of absence” and elected him president. He retained that position twelve years. While his scholarly and executive abilities were of great value to the college it would be difficult to measure the value to the young men under him of having constantly before them a man who in so many fields had achieved the highest success, who was an inspiration and an object-lesson illustrating the many-sidedness which the scholar might hope to attain.

He was appointed to represent the state on “Maine day” at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876. In the performance of that duty he delivered a valuable address on the State of Maine which was published in book form. In 1878 he was appointed a commissioner to the Paris Exposition and in the execution of that duty rendered a full and interesting report.

General Chamberlain was elected Major General of the militia in 1876 and was thus enabled to render the state great service at the “Count-out” in 1880. His presence and wise and prudent counsels on that occasion no doubt averted disaster and perhaps a bloody civil strife.

After resigning at Bowdoin he engaged in business enterprises and was for some time in Florida. In 1890 he was appointed by President McKinley Surveyor of Customs for the port of Portland and retained that position by successive re-appointments during the remainder of his life.

He was greatly and actively interested in all soldier societies and associations. He attended the reunions of the men who had been under his command in regiments from many states and his lecture on “Little Round Top” was repeated before delighted thousands throughout a widespread territory. He was early a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and was for a term Commander of the Department of Maine. When the Society of the Army of the Potomac was organized in the city of New York in 1869 he was selected as orator of the occasion and delivered an eloquent address on “The Army of the Potomac” before a large audience which included many officers of high rank.

Here are extracts from the official report:--

With admirable tone and manner, and frequently interrupted by the appreciating and enthusiastic plaudits of a brilliant audience, General Chamberlain then delivered the first annual oration before the Society as follows:--

“Comrades: You bid me speak for you. What language shall I borrow that can hold the meaning of this hour? How translate into mortal tongue the power and glory of immortal deeds. Where can I find a strain to sound these depths of memory, or sweep these heights of harmony” Rather would I stand mute before the majesty of this presence, while all the scene around-token and talisman-speaks the unfathomable, unending story. Visions trooping on me in solemn, proud procession overcloud the present, till it drifts away to dream and shadow, and they alone are the living and unchanged. Emotions struggling up through the dark and bloody years choke down my utterance. No! Rather do you speak to me; you, who return my greeting, and you, unseen and silent to mortal sense, comrades in soul to-night! and drown my faltering words in your vast accord.


God be praised that in the justice of his ways this same much suffering old Army-scoffed at for not moving but never, that I have heard, for not dying enough — should be the chosen one to push the Rebellion to its last field, and to see its proudest ensigns at its feet.

So it rises and stands before me, the glorious pageant-the ranks all full-you the living. they the immortal-swelling together the roll of honor; that great company of heroic souls that were and are the Army of the Potomac Let me borrow the prophet's tongue rapt with celestial vision: “These are the living creatures that I saw under the God of Israel, by the river of Chebar, and the likeness of their faces were the same faces which I saw by the river; and they went everyone straight forward.”

At the close of the oration General Chamberlain was greeted waith prolonged cheers.

General Chamberlain was President of the Society of the Army of the Potomac in 1889 and at the meeting in Orange responded to the greeting of the Governor of New Jersey in part as follows:

... And now pardon me a word in behalf of those for whom I am to return your greeting. I desire that the friends with us to-day, especially the younger portion, who may not be so familiar with the history of the country in its details. may be reminded of what manner of men these are before you. When his Excellency the Governor mentioned that space of twenty-five years ago I could not help thinking, comrades and gentlemen, of that dark and bitter year, 1864, when the hearts of almost all men, and I don't know but of some women, were filled with fear at the aspect of things for our country's honor and the hopes of all seemed trailing in the dust; when all the newspapers here were filled with foreboding and (the gentlemen of the press will forgive me) almost upbraiding us of the army at times that we were not in Richmond; while in Washington even prominent members of Congress were beginning to forsake the great President and form plans other than his and when the issue of our great cause seemed to have settled down as in a cloud upon almost every heart in the country; and I desire to say here to-day that in this Army of the Potomac whose suffering and losses were such in that same year of 1864 that we were not called upon or permitted to report our casualties during that whole campaign from the Rapidan and Rappahannock to the James and Appomattox, for fear the country could not stand the disclosure, in this army there was no faltering nor thought of despair. These men before you and their comrades alone of all men I ever heard of, kept up their heart and hope and loyalty to the President and the great cause, holding up their bleeding and shattered forms, and protesting that never, while one man of them could hold the field, should that flag be sullied in the dust or the honor of the country go down in shame. I want these honorable gentlemen to bear in mind, and these beautiful and sympathizing ladies, and these youths, that it was the word character, as well as the physical force of these men of the Army of the Potomac that made them patriots and saviours of their country. These are the men for whom it falls to my honorable and happy lot to speak to-day, and to respond for to your welcome, and say that they are deserving of it.

On the 22nd of February, 1866, he delivered an address on “Loyalty” before the Pennsylvania Commandery. The only record there is of this address is in the papers of the day.

In the “War papers” published by this Commandery there appear the following papers by General Chamberlain: in Volume I, “The Military Operations on the White Oak Road, Virginia, March 31, 1865,” read December 6, 1893; in Volume II, “Five Forks,” read May 2, 1900; in Volume III, “Reminiscences of Petersburg and Appomattox, October, 1903,” read March 2, 1904, and “The Grand review of the Army of the Potomac,” read May 2, 1906. Among the papers in the hands of the Publication Committee awaiting publication is one by him entitled “Abraham Lincoln Seen from the Field in the War for the Union,” read before the Commandery of the State of Pennsylvania, February 12, 1909, and subsequently read before this Commandery. It is needless to add that all these are carefully prepared and highly interesting papers and most valuable to the history of the war. Companions will recall the many impromptu addresses made by him at meetings of the Commandery when talking to his companions on the themes suggested by the papers that had been read, when he was at his best and spoke “winged words” that thrilled the hearts of his hearers.

In person General Chamberlain was of medium height; his form was perfectly proportioned, well-knit, neither slender nor stout, and always erect and graceful. His finely shaped head and face of classic features and beauty was nobly borne, with an air well fitting the chivalrous spirit within. His voice was pleasing, strong and resonant and used with perfect art, oftentimes thrilling with tones suited to his utterances.

In the State Library there is a marble bust of him executed in Florence by Jackson, a Maine sculptor, and presented to the state by a number of friends when he was Governor. It is a fine work of art and a perfect likeness. Jackson said that when it was on exhibition at his studio it elicited the highest admiration from his visitors.

The funeral exercises, February 27, were simple but impressive. At the request of the family a committee of the Loyal Legion had charge of them. Companion Gen. John T. Richards was designated by that committee to have immediate charge of the ceremonies. The Portland battalion of the National Guard performed escort duty. The casket was taken to the City Hall and placed in front of the stage, and around it stood a squad of honor from the National Guard. The hall was filled with dignitaries, officials, soldiers and representatives of many associations. Bosworth and Thatcher Posts of the Grand Army were present in great force and there was a large representation of the Loyal Legion. Governor Haines, who had made a worthy proclamation to the State, and members of his staff, the collector of the port and many officials of the custom house, delegates from the Society of American Wars, officers of Bowdoin College, and many friends from many parts of the State, were there to honor the illustrious dead. Ex-Gov. John C. Bates, Maj. Henry L. Higginson and Gen. Morris Schaaf represented Massachusetts at the request of the Governor in the communication which follows:--

Boston, February 26, 1914.
Hon. John C. Bates, 73 Tremont Street, Boston, Mass.
My Dear Governor:

It has occurred to me that it would be most fitting and proper that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts should be represented at the funeral of the late Gen. Joshua L. Chamberlain which is to be held at Portland, Me., to-morrow, and I sincerely trust that you will find it possible to attend. I have made a similar request of Maj. H. L. Higginson and Gen. Morris Schaaf.

The great public services rendered to his country and to New England by General Chamberlain would seem to make it desirable that some representatives of this commonwealth who knew him during his lifetime and were familiar with his public record should be present to indicate the affection and regard that the people of Massachusetts had for him as a commanding officer in the Civil War, as Governor of the State of Maine, and as president of a great college.

The commonwealth will be grateful to you for representing her at the last ceremonies in honor of — this great man, before his remains are consigned to the earth.

Yours very sincerely,

David L. Walsh.

An eloquent and appreciative address was delivered by Rev. Jesse Hill, D. D., and several solemn and beautiful selections were rendered on the organ. The remains were then borne from the hall and escorted to the railroad station, through streets lined with respectful throngs, and placed on a car for transportation to Brunswick. At that place they were taken by the appointed local bearers and escorted by the Brunswick company of the National Guard, Vincent Mountfort Post of the Grand Army, the student body and members of the faculty of Bowdoin College, to the First Parish Congregational Church where services were conducted by Rev. Chauncey W. Goodrich and a eulogy was delivered by President William DeWitt Hyde. Many distinguished and representative citizens from all parts of the State were in attendance at these exercises.

Our great and beloved Companion has passed from us and the scene of his high achievements to a goodly company and further service. How great a factor in assuaging “the immortal woe of life” , confirming and enhancing the dignity of man and strengthening faith in the belief that the human lot is not common with that of the beasts that perish, is the memory of the great and good exemplars of our race! The lofty souls that have appeared here and there in the long procession of humanity still march with us. We look to them and feel in our hearts some kindling of sparks of the noble attributes that in them shone with clear and resplendent light. We seek their guidance in times of storm and stress when we grope to find the true path of action, and when we find the way that they have trod we go forward with confidence and glad assurance. How noble a company it is and with what joy the world welcomes every accession to its mighty brotherhood!

When the faithful Douglas, keeping his promise to his beloved king, bore the heart of the great Bruce in sacred pilgrimage to deposit it in the soil of the Holy Land, voyaged with a noble attendance of goodly knights on entering a port of Spain they heard “the clash of the atabals and the trumpets' wavering call” and learned that a contest with the Moors was going on. They alighted from their ship and proffered their Scottish spears to King Alfonzo. When the Moors were pressing them heavily the Douglas, standing in his stirrups, held high the casket that contained his precious charge and, flinging it far ahead, cried,

Pass thee first thou dauntless heart
As thou wast wont of yore.

And then

the spears of Spain came shivering in
And swept away the Moor.

So in future years, in contests of arms or principles, the heart of Chamberlain will go before and arouse new zeal in the breasts of its followers. But the cause must be true and righteous or that heart will be no talisman of victory.

General Chamberlain married at Brunswick, December 7, 1855, Caroline Frances Adams, a gracious and accomplished woman. She died October 18, 1905. Their children were Grace Dupee, wife of Harold G. Allen of Boston, a lawyer, and Harold Wyllys, a Companion of this Commandery, a lawyer residing in Portland. This Commandery tenders its profound sympathy to the daughter, son, and grandchildren and assures them that their illustrious parent will always be held dear by his surviving Companions and that his name and fame will be a precious legacy to his countrymen.

Respectfully submitted,

Selden Connor,Committee.
Franklin M. Drew,
Abner O. Shaw,

By order of

Lieut. George D. Bisbee, U. S, V.,commander.
Horatio Staples, First Lieutenant, U. S. V.,Recorder



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: