previous next

No. 87. report of Maj. Gen. John M. Palmer, U. S. Army, commanding Fourteenth Army Corps, of operations May 30, and itinerary of the Corps, May 6-September 8.

headquarters Fourteenth Army Corps, In the Field, May 30, 1864-11.40 p. m.
General: Between 5 o'clock and dark this afternoon the enemy attacked Carlin's picket-line and drove back a portion of it. As an affair of skirmishers it was very warm and the men on both sides very persistent. Our loss is probably 6 killed and 14 to 20 wounded; our men say the enemy's much larger. We recovered and now hold the ground in dispute. A prisoner was taken from Stewart's division, of Hood's corps, during the fight. Carlin reports just now that he detects the enemy engaged in preparing for the use of artillery at two points on his front. He thinks he hears the hum and suppressed noises which usually attend the secret movement of large bodies of troops, and as a consequence anticipates an attack to-night or early to-morrow. In my opinion, assuming an intention on the part of the enemy to attack, Schofield's position on the hill (that lately occupied by Stoneman) is the true object.of their movement. That once firmly in their possession the positions of King and Carlin are at their mercy. Unless the arrangements for its defense have been improved since 6 o'clock this afternoon it will not be held against a strong attack. I have addressed a note to General Schofield on the subject, which goes out with this.

Very respectfully,

John M. Palmer, Major-General. Brig. Gen. W. D. Whipple
, Chief of Staff, Department of the Cumberland.

Itinerary of the Fourteenth Army Corps, May 6-September 8.1

May 6.-Preparatory to the general advance against the enemy the corps was concentrated at Stone Church, three miles south of Ringgold, Ga.

May 7.-Advanced to Tunnel Hill, encountering the enemy's cavalry, which was driven back by the Second Division, in advance on the direct road.

May 8 to 11, inclusive.--Engaged in movements against the enemy in the attempt to dislodge him from Rocky Face Ridge; had severe skirmishing during this time.

Alay 12.-Withdrew and moved during the day to Snake Creek Gap to the support of the Army of the Tennessee.

May 14 and 15.-Participated in the battle of Resaca.

May 16.-The Second Division moved, in compliance with orders, for Rome; encamped fifteen miles on the road.

May 17. Moved forward, and when near Rome, in the afternoon, was fiercely attacked by the enemy, which attack was quickly repulsed by the Third and a portion of the Second Brigades, in position [506] to receive it, and the enemy driven back under cover of his works, evacuating them and Rome during the night with all except a slight skirmish line, which was driven in on the 18th, and Rome taken possession of by the Second Division and held until the 24th.

May 24.-The division moved via Van Wert to rejoin the corps.

May 25.--Arrived near Dallas; the First and Third Divisions in the mean time had advanced with the army, and participated in the movements, following the enemy's retreat from Resaca to Lost Mountain. iMay 26.--The First Division moved to Burnt Hickory; Second Division moved to Dallas, and Third Division moved to Raccoon Ford.

During the remainder of the month, from the 27th, the First Division was stationed at Pickett's Mills, and the Second Division at Dallas, skirmishing and fighting.

May 28.--The Third Division moved to the forks of the Dallas and Van Wert roads, and returned on the 29th with wagon trains to Burnt Hickory, and remained there the remainder of the month.

Casualties during the month: First Division-commissioned officers, killed, 9; wounded, 34; missing, 1. Enlisted men, killed, 139; wounded, 741; missing, 18. Total in First Division, 942. Second Division-commissioned officers, killed, 3; wounded, 11; missing, 1. Enlisted men, killed, 54; wounded, 226; missing, 29. Total in Second Division, 324. Third Division-commissioned officers, killed, 2; wounded, 9. Enlisted men killed, 17; wounded, 133; missing, 28. Total in Third Division, 189.

June 1.-The First Division at Pickett's Mills, where it remained in position until the 6th, skirmishing. The Second Division moved from Dallas to the left, and was in position until the 6th, skirmishing. The First Brigade, Third Division, left at Burnt Hickory. The balance of the division moved forward from that place, and on the 2d took position and remained until the 6th, skirmishing.

June 6.-The corps moved forward in pursuit of the enemy, and took position in front of Pine Mountain, where it remained, gradually advancing the lines toward the enemy's works until they were evacuated.

June 19.-Advanced to the base of Kenesaw Mountain (the corps taking position on the right of the railroad) and intrenched, remaining in this position, skirmishing and using artillery almost constantly against the enemy's skirmishers and his artillery posted on the summit of the mountain, with no material change until the Second Division moved during the night of the 25th to the right, and reached a point to the right and rear of the Fourth Corps.

June 26.-The Third Division moved to support the Second Division in the assault on the enemy's works, ordered and made by the Second Division on the morning of the 27th. The assaulting column did not succeed in carrying the enemy's works. At the point the assault was made, within a few yards of the enemy's works, the Second and Third Brigades, of the Second Division, making the assault, intrenched and remained during the rest of the month, skirmishing constantly. No further changes during the month.

Casualties during the month: First Division-commissioned officers, 2 killed and 5 wounded; enlisted men, 46 killed, 180 wounded, and 8 missing; total in First Division, 241. Second Division-commissioned officers, 15 killed, 38 wounded, and 2 missing; enlisted men, 210 killed, 702 wounded, and 35 missing; total in Second Division, [507] 1,002. Third Division-commissioned officers, 2 killed and 6 wounded; enlisted men, 33 killed and 182 wounded; total in Third Division, 223.

July 1 and 2.-The corps was in position in front of Kenesaw Mountain. On the night of the 2d the enemy evacuated his works.

July 3 and 4.-The corps marched in pursuit, capturing a number of prisoners; had considerable skirmishing.

July 5.-The enemy retreated to the Chattahoochee River during the night.

July 6.-The corps moved in pursuit, and on arriving in close proximity to the position taken by the enemy along the river, sharp skirmishing ensued, and was kept up until night, during which time disposition of the troops was made and works thrown up close to those of the enemy, where the corps remained until the enemy withdrew to the south bank.

July 10.-The Third Division was moved to Pace's Ferry, and remained there until the 17th, and was joined by its Second Brigade at that point. The First and Second Divisions advanced their lines to the river-bank, where they remained guarding the river until the 17th.

July 17.-They were moved to Pace's Ferry in the morning, at which point the corps crossed the river during the day and encountered the enemy's rear guard, which was driven, and the corps advanced a short distance and remained during the night.

July 18 and 19.-The corps advanced to Peach Tree Creek. The enemy was found to be in position along the opposite bank.

July 19.-In the afternoon the Third Brigade, Second Division, crossed Peach Tree Creek and repulsed an attack of the enemy, made soon after the brigade was over, supported by the Second Brigade, Second Division, which crossed during the attack. The First Brigade, Second Division, was held as reserve; Third Brigade sustained principal loss. The enemy's efforts to dislodge it failed, and after a severe fight the enemy was compelled to fall back. The Third Division crossed Peach Tree Creek during the day and night in support of the Second Division.

July 20.-The First Division crossed, and a part of its First Brigade engaged in the battle on that day, and aided to repel the attack made on the Twentieth Corps on the left of the Fourteenth. The lines of the First and Third Divisions were moved forward and established and intrenched a short distance from the enemy's works, driving back his skirmish line and capturing a number of prisoners. The Second Division was skirmishing constantly. Its batteries were used with effect, and drove the rebels out of their works in front of them. The enemy withdrew with his whole force during the night, and his works taken possession of by the troops of the corps early next morning.

July 22.-The corps advanced to within two and a half miles of Atlanta, and went into position within artillery range of the enemy's works at all points, when the position taken was strongly intrenched. Batteries opened on the enemy, and skirmishers were sharply engaged the balance of the day. From the 23d to the close of the month the First and Third Divisions, and to the 28th the Second Division, remained in this position, constantly skirmishing and under the fire of the enemy's artillery and musketry. The artillery of the corps was worked steadily, and shots thrown frequently into Atlanta, but mostly against the enemy's works. [508]

July 28.-The Second Division made a reconnaissance to Turner's Ferry, and on returning formed on the right of the Army of the Tennessee (where it remained the rest of the month), but too late to participate in the battle, as the enemy's attack had been repulsed. The corps constituted the right of the army in all movements after crossing the Chattahoochee.

Casualties during the month: First Division-commissioned officers, killed, 6; wounded, 18; missing, 1. Enlisted men, killed, 68; wounded, 368; missing, 13. Total in First Division, 474. Second Division-commissioned officers, killed, 8; wounded, 17; missing, 5. Enlisted men, killed, 83; wounded, 243; missing, 115. Total in Second Division, 471. Third Division-commissioned officers, killed, 2; wounded, 14. Enlisted men, killed, 15; wounded, 107; missing, 1. Total in Third Division, 139.

August I to 28.-The corps was in position in front of Atlanta, during which time almost constant picket and artillery firing was kept up, and obstinate fights occurred with the advance of the skirmish line as the divisions changed position nearing the enemy's works. The troops were kept in their works; the only protection against the enemy's fire was in doing so, as it was kept up almost the whole time day and night. The Second Division made a reconnaissance on the 24th, and struck the Montgomery railroad near Red Oak Station, cutting telegraph wire and tearing up track. The division returned same day to its former position.

August 28.-Arrangements which had been in progress several days having been completed, the corps moved forward in the direction of Red Oak Station, with the advance of the army to the Montgomery railroad on that day, which point it reached and bivouacked, destroying the railroad for several miles.

August 29 and 30.-Marched in the direction of Jonesborough.

August 31.-The Third Division advanced to the Atlanta and Macon Railroad, supported by the Second Brigade, Second Division, and took position four miles north of Jonesborough and tore up the track. The First and Second Divisions (except the Second Brigade of the latter) were sent to the support of the Army of the Tennessee.

Casualties during the month: First Division-commissioned officers, killed, 2; wounded, S. Enlisted men, killed, 57; wounded, 313; missing, 12. Total in First Division, 392. Second Division-commissioned officers, killed, 1; wounded, 10. Enlisted men, killed, 40; wounded, 195; missing, 4. Total in Second Division, 250. Third Division-commissioned officers, killed, 5; wounded, 9. Enlisted men, killed, 53; wounded, 266; missing, 6. Total in Third Division, 339.

September 1.-Fought the battle of Jonesborough, all the divisions participating. The enemy's works were carried, 10 pieces of his artillery and 1,000 prisoners captured. Total loss of corps, 1,272. The enemy withdrew from Jonesborough during the night.

September 2.-In the morning the corps was advanced to Jonesborough, and remained there until the 6th. The campaign was officially announced closed, and orders were given for the army to move to Atlanta.

September 8.-The corps reached Atlanta and remained there the rest of the month.



headquarters Fourteenth Army Corps, In the Field, June 27, 1864.
Brig. Gen. W. D. Whipple
Chief of Staff, Department of the Cumberland:

In accordance with his directions I have the honor herewith to forward for the information of the major-general commanding as perfect a list as can be given at this time of the casualties in my command during the operations of to-day.

Very respectfully,

John M. Palmer, Major-General, Commanding.


Report of casualties in Fourteenth Army Corps during the operations of June


headquarters Fourteenth Army Corps, In the Field, June 29, 1864.
Brig. Gen. W. D. Whipple
Chief of Staff, Department of the Cumberland:

General: In reply to your inquiry in regard to the discrepancy existing between my report of the wounded in the Second Division, of the Fourteenth Corps, and the report received from the surgeons, I have the honor to inclose a later report made by General Davis from data obtained yesterday, and to state as follows:

It will be seen from this report, taken one day later than the former one, that the number of wounded varies only 7 from the first report, the first stating 632 and the latter 625, an evidence that care has been taken in both. The later report from the surgeons gives an increase in the number of wounded from 397 to 473. This indicates that there may be further inaccuracies. A few men are probably treated in the hospitals for slight wounds who leave the hospitals before their names are taken. Other men, slightly wounded, are treated by the surgeons on the field and never go to the hospitals. Others, desperately wounded, leave their commands and die without ever reaching the hospitals. General Davis' report can be relied upon as nearly correct.

Very respectfully,

John M. Palmer, Major-General, Commanding.



Hdqrs. Second Division, Fourteenth Army Corps, In the Field, June 28, 1864.
Capt. A. C. McCLURG, Assistant Adjutant-General, Fourteenth Army Corps:
Captain: The following is a corrected report of the casualties in this division, as given by the brigade commanders in yesterday's operations:


Jef. C. Davis, Brigadier-General, Commanding Division.

1 from monthly returns. The Corps was commanded by Maj. Gen. John M. Palmer to August 6; Brig. Gen. Richard W. Johnson to August 22, and Bvt. Maj. Gen. Jefferson C. Davis to September 8.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: