previous next

Doc. 142.-battle at bear River, W. T.

Report of Colonel Connor.

headquarters District of Utah, camp Douglas, W. T., February 6, 1863.
Colonel: I have the honor to report that from information received from various sources of the encampment of a large body of Indians on Bear River, in Washington Territory, one hundred and forty miles north of this point, who had murdered several miners, during the winter, passing to and from the settlement in this valley to the Beaver Head mines, east of the Rocky Mountains, and being satisfied that they were part of the same band who had been murdering emigrants on the overland mail route for the past fifteen years, and the principal actors and leaders in the horrid massacres of the past summer, I determined, although the season was unfavorable to an expedition, in consequence of the cold weather and deep snow, to chastise them if possible. Feeling that secrecy was the truest way to success, I determined to deceive the Indians by sending a small force in advance, judging, and rightly, that they would not fear a small number.

The Chief Pocoletto and Sanpitch, with their bands of murderers, are still at large. I hope to be able to kill or capture them before spring.

If I succeed, the overland route west of the Rocky Mountains will be rid of the Bedouins who have harassed and murdered emigrants on that route for a series of years.

In consequence of the number of men left on the route with frozen feet, and those with the train and howitzers and guarding the cavalry horses, I did not have to exceed two hundred men engaged.

On the twenty-second ult. I ordered company K, Third infantry, C. V., Capt. Hoyt; two howitzers, under command of Lieutenant Honeyman, and twelve men of the Second cavalry, C. V., with a train of fifteen wagons, carrying twelve days supplies, to proceed in that direction. On the twenty-fourth ult., I proceeded with detachments from companies A, H, K, and M, Second cavalry, C. V., numbering two hundred and twenty men, accompanied by Major McGarry, Second cavalry, C. V.; Surgeon Reid, Third infantry, C. V.; Captains McLean and Price, and Lieutenants Chase, Clark, Quinn, and Conrod, Second C. V.; Major Gallagher, Third infantry and Captain Berry, Second cavalry, C. V., who were present at this post attending general court-martial, as volunteers. I marched the first night to Brigham City, about sixty-eight miles distant, and the second night's march from Camp Douglas, I overtook the infantry and artillery at the town of Menden, and ordered them to march again that night. I resumed my march with the cavalry, and overtook the infantry at Franklin, W. T., about twelve miles from the Indian encampment. I ordered Capt. Hoyt, with the infantry, howitzers, and train, not to move until after three o'clock A. M. I moved the cavalry in about one hour afterward, passing the infantry, artillery, and wagons about four miles from the Indian encampment. As daylight was approaching, I was apprehensive that the Indians would discover the strength of my force, and make their escape. I therefore made a rapid march with the cavalry and reached the bank of the river shortly after daylight, in full view of the Indian encampment, and about one mile distant. I immediately ordered Major McGarry to advance with the cavalry, and surround, before attacking them, while I remained a few minutes in the rear to give orders to the infantry and artillery. On my arrival on the field I found that Major McGarry had dismounted the cavalry, and was engaged with the Indians, who had sallied out of their hiding-places on foot and horseback, and, with fiendish malignity, waved the scalps of white women, and challenged the troops to battle, at the same time attacking them. Finding it impossible to surround them, in consequence of the nature of the ground, he accepted their challenge. [469]

The position of the Indians was one of strong natural defences, and almost inaccessible to the troops, being in a deep dry ravine from six to twelve feet deep, and from thirty to forty feet wide, with very abrupt banks, and running across level table-land, along which they had constructed steps from which they could deliver their fire without being themselves exposed. Under the embankments they had constructed artificial covers of willows, thickly woven together, from behind which they could fire without being observed.

After being engaged about twenty minutes, I found it was impossible to dislodge them without great loss of life. I accordingly ordered Major McGarry, with twenty men, to turn their left flank, which was in the ravine where it entered the mountain. Shortly afterward Captain Hoyt reached the ford, three fourths of a mile distant, but found it impossible to cross footmen, some of whom tried it, however, rushing into the river but finding it deep and rapid, retired. I immediately ordered a detachment of cavalry, with led horses to cross the infantry, which was done accordingly, and upon their arrival upon the field I ordered them to the support of Major McGarry's flanking party, who shortly afterward succeeded in turning the enemy's flank. Up to this time, in consequence of being exposed on a level and open plain, while the Indians were under cover, they had every advantage of us, fighting with the ferocity of demons. My men fell fast and thick around me, but after flanking them we had the advantage, and made good use of it. I ordered the flanking party to advance down the ravine on either side, which gave us the advantage of an enfilading fire, and caused some of the Indians to give way and run toward the north of the ravine. At this point I had a company stationed who shot them as they ran out. I also ordered a detachment of cavalry across the ravine to cut off the retreat of any fugitives who might escape the company at the mouth of the ravine. But few tried to escape, however, but continued fighting with unyielding obstinacy, frequently engaging hand to hand with the troops until killed in their hiding-places. The most of those who did escape from the ravine were afterward shot in attempting to swim the river, or killed while desperately fighting under cover of the dense willow thicket which lined the river banks.

To give you an idea of the desperate character of the fight, you are respectfully referred to the list of the killed and wounded transmitted herewith. The fight commenced about six o'clock in the morning and continued until ten. At the commencement of the battle the hands of some of the men were so benumbed with cold that it was with difficulty that they could load their pieces. Their suffering during the march was awful beyond description, but they steadily continued without regard to hunger, cold, or thirst, not a murmur escaping them to indicate their sensibilities to pain or fatigue. Their uncomplaining endurance during their four nights' march from Camp Douglas to the battle-field is worthy of the highest praise. The weather was intensely cold, and not less than seventy-five had their feet frozen, and some of them, I fear, will be crippled for life. I should mention here that in my march from this post no assistance was rendered by the Mormons, who seemed indisposed to divulge any information regarding the Indians, and charged enormous prices for every article furnished my command. I have also to report to the General Commanding that previous to my departure Chief-Justice Kenny, of Great Salt Lake City, made a requisition for troops for the purpose of arresting the Indian Chiefs Bear Hunter, Somepitch, and Sandwich. I informed the Marshal that my arrangements for an expedition against the Indians were made, and that it was not my intention to take any prisoners, but that he could accompany me. Marshal Gibbs accordingly accompanied me, and rendered efficient aid in caring for the wounded. I have great pleasure in awarding to Major McGarry, Q. C.C. V., Major Gallagher, and Surgeon A. K. Reid, Third infantry C. V., the highest praise for their skill, gallantry, and bravery throughout the engagement. And to the company officers the highest praise is due, without invidious distinction, for their bravery, courage, and determination evinced throughout the engagement. Their obedience to orders, attention, kindness, and care for the wounded, are no less worthy of notice. Of the good conduct and bravery of both officers and men California has reason to be proud.

We found two hundred and twenty-four bodies on the field, among which were those of the chiefs Bear Hunter, Sagwich, and Leight. How many more were killed than stated, I am unable to say, as the condition of the wounded rendered their immediate removal a necessity. I was unable to examine the field. I captured one hundred and seventy-five horses, some arms, destroyed over seventy lodges, a large quantity of wheat and other provisions, which had been furnished them by the Mormons. Left a small quantity of wheat for the sustenance of one hundred and sixty captive squaws and children whom I left on the field.

The enemy had about three hundred warriors, mostly well armed with rifles, and having plenty of ammunition, which rumor says they received from the inhabitants of this territory in exchange for property of massacred emigrants. The position of the Indians was one of great natural strength, and had I not succeeded in flanking them, the mortality in my command would have been terrible. In consequence of the deep snow the howitzers did not reach the field in time to be used in the action.

I have the honor to remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

P. Edw. Connor,1 Colonel Third Infantry, C. V., Commanding District. To Lieut.-Col. R. C. Drum, Assistant Adjutant-General U. S.A., Department Pacific.

Letter from General Halleck.

Headquarters of the army, Washington, D. C., March 29.
Brigadier-Gen. G. Wright, Commanding Department of the Pacific, San Francisco, California:
General: I have this day recived your letter [470] of February twentieth, inclosing Col. P. E. Connor's report of his severe battle and splendid victory in Bear River, Washington Territory. After a forced march of one hundred and forty miles in mid-winter and through deep snows, in which seventy-six of his men were disabled by frozen feet, he and his gallant band of only two hundred attacked three hundred warriors in their stronghold, and after a hard-fought battle of four hours destroyed the entire band, leaving two hundred and twenty-four dead upon the field. Our loss in the battle was fourteen killed and forty-nine wounded. Colonel Connor and the brave Third California infantry deserve the highest praise for their gallant and heroic conduct.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

H. W. Halleck, General-in-Chief.

1 See Doc. 113, page 401, ante.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
McGarry (6)
Henry M. Hoyt (3)
P. Edward Connor (3)
A. K. Reid (2)
H. W. Halleck (2)
James Gallagher (2)
Doc (2)
G. Wright (1)
John Quinn (1)
Sterling Price (1)
McLean (1)
Leight (1)
Kenny (1)
D. Hunter (1)
Honeyman (1)
O. T. Gibbs (1)
R. C. Drum (1)
Conrod (1)
P. E. Connor (1)
Thomas S. Clark (1)
Darwin Chase (1)
William W. Berry (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
February 6th, 1863 AD (1)
March 29th (1)
February 20th (1)
24th (1)
22nd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: