A branch of the Department of the Interior, founded in 1879, when it included only the geological examination of the Territories
; but in 1881 it was enlarged so as to comprise the entire country, and its corps were gradually increased till the survey became the most important of all governmental organizations for the purpose of geological examination.
The director of the survey has charge of the classification of the public lands, the examination of the geological structures, mineral resources, and
products of the national domain, and of the survey of the forest reserves.
In 1900 the chief officers
were: Director, Charles D. Wolcott
; Division of Hydrography, chief, F. H. Newell
; Division of Mineral Resources
, David T. Day
; Division of Physical and Chemical Re-:searches, chief, G. F. Becker
; Division of Topography, Forest Reserves, Henry Gannett