Two fortifications on the Mississippi River
, 57 miles southeast of New Orleans, which command the lower approach to that city.
Both were strongly fortified by the Confederates
in the early part of the Civil War
, and were passed by the fleet under Farragut
, April 24, 1862.
had passed these forts, and the Confederate
flotilla had been destroyed, the fortifications were still firmly held.
The mortar-fleet under Porter
was below them.
, who had accompanied the gunboats on their perilous passage on the Saxon
, had returned to his transports, and in small boats his troops, under the general pilotage of Gen. Godfrey Weitzel
, passed through bayous to the rear of Fort St. Philip
When he was prepared to assail it, the garrison was surrendered without
resistance (April 28), for they had heard of the destruction of the Confederate
The commander of Fort Jackson
, fearing that all was lost, accepted generous terms of surrender from Commodore Porter
The prisoners taken in the forts and at the quarantine numbered about 1,000.
The entire loss of the Nationals from the beginning of the contest until New Orleans was taken was forty killed and 177 wounded.