previous next

Doc. 244.-the fight at great Bethel.

General Butler's official report.

Headquarters, Department of Virginia, fortress Monroe, June 10, 1861.
To Lieutenant-General Scott:
General :--Having learned that the enemy had established an outpost of some strength at a place called Little Bethel, a small church about eight miles from Newport News, and the same distance from Hampton, from whence they were accustomed nightly to advance both on Newport News and the picket guards of Hampton to annoy them, and from whence also they had come down in small squads of cavalry and taken a number of Union men, some of whom had the safeguard and protection of the troops of the United States, and forced them into the rebel ranks, and that they were also gathering up the slaves of citizens who had moved away and left their farms in charge of their negroes, carrying them to work in intrenchments at Williamsburg and Yorktown, I had determined to send up a force to drive them back and destroy their camp, the Headquarters of which was this small church. I had also learned that at a place a short distance further on, on the road to Yorktown, was an outwork of the rebels, on the Hampton side of a place called Big Bethel, a large church, near the head of the north branch of Back River, and that there was a very considerable rendezvous, with works of more or less strength in process of erection, and from this point the whole country was laid under contribution.

Accordingly, I ordered. General Pierce, who is in command of Camp Hamilton, at Hampton, to send Duryea's regiment, of Zouaves to be ferried over Hampton Creek at one o'clock this morning, and to march by the road up to Newmarket Bridge, then crossing the bridge, to go by a by-road and thus put the regiment in the rear of the enemy, and between Big Bethel and Little Bethel, in part for the purpose of cutting him off, and then to make an attack upon Little Bethel. I directed General Pierce to support him from Hampton with Colonel Townsend's regiment, with two mounted howitzers, and to march about an hour later. At the same time I directed Col. Phelps, commanding at Newport News, to send out a battalion, composed of such companies of the regiments under his command as he thought best, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Washburn, in time to make a demonstration upon Little Bethel in front, and to have him supported by Colonel Bendix's regiment, with two fieldpieces.

Bendix's and Townsend's regiments should effect a junction at a fork of the road leading from Hampton to Newport News, something like a mile and a half from Little Bethel. I directed the march to be so timed that the attack should be made just at daybreak, and that after the attack was made upon Little Bethel, Duryea's regiment and a regiment from Newport News should follow immediately upon the heels of the fugitives, if they were enabled to cut them off, and attack the battery on the road to Big Bethel, while covered by the fugitives; or, if it was thought expedient by General Pierce, failing to surprise the camp at Little Bethel, they should attempt to take the work near Big Bethel.

To prevent the possibility of mistake in the darkness, I directed that no attack should be made until the watchword should be shouted by the attacking regiment, and, in case that by any mistake in the march the regiments that were to make the junction should unexpectedly meet and be unknown to each other, also directed that the members of Colonel Townsend's regiment should be known, if in daylight, by something white worn on the arm. The troops were accordingly put in action as ordered, and the march was so timed that Colonel Duryea had got in the position noted upon the accompanying sketch, and Lieutenant-Colonel Washburn, in command of the regiment from Newport News, had got into the position indicated upon the sketch, and Colonel Bendix's regiment had been posted and ordered to hold the [357] fork of the road, with two pieces of artillery, and Colonel Townsend's regiment had got to the place indicated just behind, and were about to form a junction as the day dawned.

Up to this point the plan had been vigorously, accurately, and successfully carried out; but here, by some strange fatuity, and as yet unexplained blunder, without any word of notice, while Colonel Townsend was in column en route, and when the head of the column was within one hundred yards, Col. Bendix's regiment opened fire with both artillery and musketry upon Col. Townsend's column, which, in the hurry and confusion, was irregularly returned by some of Col. Townsend's men, who feared that they had fallen into an ambuscade. Col. Townsend's column immediately retreated to the eminence near by, and were not pursued by Col. Bendix's men. By this almost criminal blunder two men of Col. Townsend's regiment were killed, and eight more or less wounded.

Hearing this cannonading and firing in his rear, Lieutenant-Colonel Washburn, not knowing but that his communication might be cut off, immediately reversed his march, as did Col. Daryea, and marched back to form a junction with his reserves.

General Pierce, who was with Colonel Townsend's regiment, fearing that the enemy had got notice of our approach, and had posted himself in force on the line of march, and not getting any communication from Col. Duryea, sent back to me for reinforcements, and I immediately ordered Col. Allen's regiment to be put in motion, and they reached Hampton about seven o'clock. In the mean time the true state of facts having been ascertained by General Pierce, the regiments effected a junction, and resumed the line of march. At the moment of the firing of Colonel Bendix, Colonel Duryea had surprised a part of an outlaying guard of the enemy, consisting of thirty persons, who have been brought into me.

Of course by this firing all hope of a surprise above the camp at Little Bethel was lost, and, upon marching upon it, it was found to have been vacated, and the cavalry had pressed on toward Big Bethel. Col. Duryea, however, destroyed the camp at Little Bethel, and advanced. General Pierce, then, as he informs me, with the advice of his colonels, thought best to attempt to carry the works of the enemy at Big Bethel, and made dispositions to that effect. The attack commenced, as I am informed — for I have not yet received any official reports — about half-past 9 o'clock.

At about ten o'clock General Pierce sent a note to me saying that there was a sharp engagement with tie enemy, and that he thought le should be able to maintain his position until reinforcements could come up. Acting upon this information, Colonel Carr's regiment, which had been ordered in the morning to proceed as far as Newmarket Bridge, was allowed to go forward. I received this information, for which I had sent a special messenger, about twelve o'clock. I immediately made disposition from Newport News to have Colonel Phelps, from the four regiments there, forward aid if necessary. As soon as these orders could be sent forward I repaired to Hampton, for the purpose of having proper ambulances and wagons for the sick and wounded, intending to go forward and join the command. While the wagons were going forward a messenger came, announcing that the engagement had terminated, and that the troops were retiring in good order to camp.

I remained upon the ground at Hampton, personally seeing the wounded put in boats and towed round to the hospital, and ordering forward Lieutenant Morris, with two boat howitzers, to cover the rear of the returning column in case it should be attacked. Having been informed that the ammunition of the artillery had been expended, and seeing the head of the column approach Hampton in good order, I waited for General Pierce to come up. I am informed by him that the dead and wounded had all been brought off, and that the return had been conducted in good order, and without haste. I learned from him that the men behaved with great steadiness, with the exception of some few instances, and that the attack was made with propriety, vigor, and courage; but that the enemy were found to be supported by a battery, variously estimated as of from fifteen to twenty pieces, some of which were rifled cannon, which were very well served, and protected from being readily turned by a creek in front.

Our loss is very considerable, amounting perhaps to forty or fifty, a quarter part of which you will see was from the unfortunate mistake — to call it by no worse name — of Colonel Bendix.

I will, as soon as official returns can be got, give a fuller detail of the affair, and will only add now that we have to regret especially the death of Lieut. Greble, of the Second Artillery, who went out with Colonel Washburn from Newport News, and who very efficiently and gallantly fought his piece until he was struck by a cannon shot. I will endeavor to get accurate statements to forward by the next mail.

I think, in the unfortunate combination of circumstances, and the result which we experienced, we have gained more than we have lost. Our troops have learned to have confidence in themselves under fire, the enemy have shown that they will not meet us in the open field, and our officers have learned wherein their organization and drill are inefficient.

While waiting for the official reports, I have the honor to submit thus far the information of which I am possessed.

I have the honor to be, most respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

Benj. F. Butler, Major-General Commanding.


Brigadier-General Pierce's orders.

Headquarters, Camp Hamilton, June 9, 1861.
General orders, No. 12.--A plan of attack to-night is herewith enclosed and forwarded to Col. Duryea, commanding 5th regiment N. Y. State troops, who will act accordingly. Col. Townsend, commanding 3d regiment. N. Y. State troops, will march his command in support of Col. Duryea. Col. Carr, commanding 2d regiment New York volunteers, will detach the artillery company of his regiment, with their field-pieces, caissons, and a suitable supply of ammunition, and take their position at the burnt bridge, near Hampton. Cols. Allen, Carr, and McChesney will hold their entire command in readiness, fully prepared to march at a moment's notice. All the troops will be supplied with one day's rations, and each man with twenty rounds of ball cartridge.

That no mistake may be made, all the troops, as they charge the enemy, will shout--“Boston.”

Cols. Allen, Carr, Townsend, Duryea, and McChesney will take notice and act accordingly.

By command of

E. W. Pierce, Brigadier-General. R. A. Pierce, Brig.-Major.

Col. Duryea's report.

Headquarters, Camp Hamilton, near fortress Monroe, Tuesday, June 11, 1861.
Sir :--In accordance with your instructions previously received, I proceeded, on the night of the 9th of June, at half-past 11 o'clock P. M., on the march to Bethel.

The first two miles to Hampton Bridge, we proceeded leisurely along, waiting for the howitzer, which should be placed at the head of the advancing column. Arriving at Hampton Creek, much delay was occasioned by the non-arrival of the surf-boats, which were to convey the regiment across the river, and it was ten o'clock before the column was formed, ready to push forward upon the other side.

We now advanced rapidly, and soon came up with our two companies of skirmishers, under Captains Bartlett and Kilpatrick, who had been despatched ahead an hour and a half previous. Proceeding steadily on without resting a moment, we came, about four o'clock in the morning, to Little Bethel, a distance of about thirteen miles. At this point we discovered and surprised the picket guard of the enemy, and a mounted officer, with four or five foot, were taken prisoners. While pushing forward towards Big Bethel we suddenly heard a heavy fire of musketry and cannon in our rear, bespeaking a severe engagement. Supposing it to be an attempt of the enemy to cut off our reserve, we immediately countermarched in quick and double-quick time, when, having proceeded about five miles, we came upon two of our regiments, and learned that in the darkness of the night they had mistaken each other for enemies, and that an unfortunate engagement, accompanied with some loss, had taken place. We then by your command returned, and advanced upon Great Bethel, being supported by the Seventh Regiment, under Colonel Bendix, and the Third, under Col. Townsend.

Proceeding to within a mile of County Bridge, the column halted, Capts. Kilpatrick and Bartlett having discovered that the enemy were holding a strong position in the battery at the head of the road. We now drew up in line of battle on the right, at the skirts of the woods, and the artillery, two howitzers, and a brass six-pounder, were pushed some thirty rods up the road. At this point Lieut.-Col. Warren rode into the field and assumed his position in the regiment, and, from his previous knowledge of the ground, proved of invaluable assistance.

Capts. Winslow, Bartlett, and Kilpatrick having been ordered to advance, under Lieut.-Col. Warren, as skirmishers, the regiment was formed on the left, from whence I led the column in person up the road toward the enemy's battery; but the fire proving very destructive, we marched in good order till we were covered by the woods on the right, where we halted for some time for rest, and in order to complete the preparations for charging the batteries in flank. In the mean time, Lieut.-Col. Warren made a reconnoissance and reported a plan of attack.

I then led off the troops to the left, in the open field, and also to the right, supported on the right by the German Rifles. After several attempts to charge the batteries, being prevented by the creek, we withdrew, by your command, to the rear, and having collected our killed and wounded, such as we could find, proceeded down the main road. Lieut.-Col. Warren, however, with a small detachment, remained and brought away the body of Lieut. Greble, with the field-piece he was serving with such effect at the time of his death. Our chaplain also remained to care for the wounded, but being cut off by a company of cavalry, he only escaped by taking to the woods, and escaping under cover of the night. We continued our march toward Hampton, and reached the bridge, having only four killed, twelve wounded, and two missing.

The following names deserve an honorable mention:--Lieut.-Col. Warren, for his aid in forming the plan of attack, and remaining among the last to bring away a brother officer; also Chaplain Winslow, for his many kind attentions to the wounded; also Captains Bartlett, Kilpatrick and Winslow for the effective manner in which they skirmished before the enemy's heavy fire; also, Lieut. J. Duryea, who led the charge up to the left flank of the batteries; also, Lieuts. York and Cambreling; Surgeon Gilbert for performing upon the field of battle successful amputations and for his continued attention to the suffering and wounded, not only on the field, but afterward at the hospital, when almost exhausted; also, Lieut. [359] Gouv. Carr, who was commanding Company B, his captain being ill, and Lieut. Geo. Duryea; also, Sergeants Agnes, Onderdonk, Allison, and Corporal Brunner.

Yet there was no flinching on the part of any officer or private, and I might mention many more with honor. In closing I cannot but speak of Col. Townsend, of the Third, who, with his whole command, stood up nobly in my support, until compelled to retreat by the terrible fire.

Per order,

Captain Kilpatrick's report.

Headquarters, Camp Hamilton, June 11, 1861.
Sir:--In accordance with your orders, I have the honor to submit the following report of my command, acting as the Advance Guard, on the evening of the 9th, and a brief account of my command during the engagement on the following day, at the New County Bridge. I left camp with my command at 10 P. M., consisting of fifty men of Company H, one lieutenant, (Cambreling,) four sergeants, and four corporals; Company I, Capt. Bartlett, one lieutenant, (York,) four sergeants, and two corporals crossed the river at Hampton 10 1/2 P. M.; reached Newmarket Bridge at 1 A. M., threw out scouts in all directions and waited for the main body, which arrived at 3 A. M. According to your orders, I advanced on the road to New County Bridge, the point where the enemy was reported to have made a stand. A little before daylight, when within a mile and a quarter of the bridge, we discovered the outlying picket guard of the enemy, and were challenged, “Who comes there?” I replied, “Who stands there?” A horseman attempted to leave. Corporal Ellerson, of Company H, sprang in advance, directing him to halt. I, supposing the enemy to be in force, gave the command to fire and charge. In a moment the affair was over, twenty or thirty shots had been given and exchanged; the officer of the guard was captured and disarmed. At this time, hearing firing in the rear, and supposing that our rear guard was attacked, I returned to follow the main body under Col. Duryea, who was advancing by forced march in the direction of the firing, only to discover that by mistake our own forces coming in different directions, and supposing each to be the enemy, had fired several shots before the mistake was discovered. I again advanced, and at 8 A. M. met with and drove in the picket guards of the enemy. I then detached a portion of my command, made an armed reconnoissance, and found the enemy with about from 3,000 to 5,000 men posted in a strong position on the opposite side of the bridge--three earthworks and a masked battery on the right and left; in advance of the stream thirty pieces of artillery and a large force of cavalry, all of which information I reported to you at once. I was ordered to advance and engage the enemy in throwing out skirmishers on the right and left of the road leading to the bridge. We rapidly advanced, supported by the Advance Guard of Col. Duryea and three pieces of artillery under Lieut. Greble, of the First Regiment United States Artillery. The enemy soon opened fire on us from the rifled cannon in front. We answered his discharges by a cheer, and continued to advance, clearing all before us, till we reached a point just on the edge of the woods, where the fire was so hot and heavy that we were compelled to halt, and there we remained as directed by Lieut.-Col. Warren, till that gallant officer had made dispositions to turn their flanks. The enemy's fire at this time began to tell upon us with great effect. My men were falling one after another, as was the case of the rest of the command.

After remaining in this position about two hours, and our object having been accomplished, numbers of our men being killed and wounded, having received a grape shot through my thigh, which tore off a portion of the rectangle on Col. Duryea's left shoulder, passed through my leg and killed a soldier in the rear, I withdrew my men to the skirts of the wood. We managed to reach Lieut. Greble's battery and bring to his aid several of my men. The charge was then sounded, Lieut. Greble opened fire with grape and canister within two hundred yards of the enemy's lines. Capts. Winslow, Bartlett, and myself charged with our commands in front; Capt. Denike and Lieut. Duryea, (son of Col. Duryea,) and about two hundred of the Troy Rifles upon the right; Col. Townsend with his men to the left. The enemy were forced out of the first battery, all the forces were rapidly advancing, and every thing promised a speedy victory, when we were ordered to fall back. Where this order came from I do not know. We maintained our position till Col. Townsend began to retire with his whole command. Being left thus alone and no prospects of receiving aid, we ordered the men to fall back, which they did, and in good order, forming their line of battle about one hundred and fifty yards in the rear. A few minutes afterwards orders came from Gen. Pierce to cease firing and retire. It gives me great pleasure to mention the gallant conduct of Capt. Bartlett, who came up with the reserve, reinforcing my line, and who was ever at the point of danger, encouraging his men. Lieut. York, in command of my left, and Lieut. Cambreling, in command of my right, displayed the greatest bravery. Lieut. York's sword was broken by a grape shot, and he was slightly wounded in the leg.

I shall ever be grateful to Capt. Winslow, who rescued me after our forces had left. He came to my aid, assisted by Sergeants Onderdonk and Agnes, at the last moment, but in time to rescue me from the enemy.

I would also favorably mention private Wood, [360] who brought me valuable information, and who fired the first shot; private John Dunn, whose arm was shattered by a cannon ball, and who bore himself with the greatest bravery, and who said to Surgeon Gilbert, while amputating his arn, that lie could not have lost it in a nobler cause. The whole command, men and officers, did themselves the greatest credit, and I am satisfied can conquer any thing except impossibilities.

Respectfully submitted,

Judson Kilpatrick, Captain, Company H. To Colonel A. Duryea.

Col. Allen's report.

Camp Hamilton, Virginia, June 11, 1861.
Major-General B. F. Butler:
Sir:--I have the honor to report that, in accordance with orders received from General Pierce on the night of the 9th inst., my command was ordered under arms at eleven P. M., and marched to Hampton Creek to support Colonels Townsend and Duryea. I returned to this camp at four A. M., of the 10th inst., and was again ordered out at six A. M. to proceed forward to Big Bethel, where the enemy was reported to be stationed in force. After a rapid march of twelve miles I reached the ground and found the action going on. Upon reporting to General Pierce, he directed me to proceed to the front and deploy my regiment in front of the battery, which I did, and so remained for one hour and forty minutes under a heavy fire of at least twenty guns, some of them rifled and about four shell guns — the enemy deploying in my front with about 1,200 men and two guns, but made no advance. They, however, threw out two heavy flanking parties on my right and left, the former with two guns, and completely outflanked the entire brigade, at which time General Pierce deemed it proper to retire. From the most reliable information I am certain there were at least four thousand of the enemy on the ground, with constant reinforcements from Yorktown.

Very respectfully,

Wm. H. Allen, Colonel First regiment.

Letter from Brigadier-General Pierce.

Camp Hamilton, June 12, 1861.
To the Editor of the Boston Journal:
Please correct the erroneous report set afloat by my enemies. There were but seven killed of the forces that went from this camp, in the expedition to Little and Great Bethel, on the 10th of this month, and Col. Townsend, of the Third Regiment New York Volunteers, who was formerly Adjutant-General of the State of New York, offers to certify that I gave my orders properly, and that under the circumstances the battle could not have been managed better.

This I write that the public may not judge me before I have time to be heard.

Capt Haggerty and Major Winthrop, of Gen. Butler's Staff, were with me and advising me to do as I did. Gen. Butler has not intimated to me as yet that he blames me at all.

In haste, yours, &c.,

A Confederate account.

The following account of the battle of Big Bethel, is given by one who participated in the defence:

Yorktown, June 11, 1861.
An engagement lasting four hours took place yesterday (Monday) between five regiments of the troops from Old Point, and 1,100 Confederate troops, consisting of Virginians and North Carolinians under Gen. Magruder, at Bethel Church, York County. Before telling you of the battle, I will give you some circumstances preceding it. About two weeks ago a party of 300 Yankees came up from Hampton and occupied Bethel Church, which position they held a day or two and then retired, leaving written on the walls of the church, several inscriptions, such as “Death to the traitors,” “Down with the rebels,” &c. To nearly all these the names of the writers were defiantly signed, and all of the penmen signed themselves as from New York, except one, who was from Boston, Mass., U. S. To these excursions into the interior, of which this was the boldest, Gen. Magruder determined to put a stop, and accordingly filled the place after the Yankees left with a few companies of his own troops. In addition to this, he determined to carry the war into the enemy's country, and on Wednesday last Stanard's battery of the Howitzer Battalion was ordered down to the church, where it was soon joined by a portion of Brown's battery of the same corps. The North Carolina Regiment, under Col. Hill, was also there, making in all about 1,100 men and seven howitzer guns. On Saturday last the first excursion of considerable importance was made. A detachment of 200 infantry and a howitzer gun under Major Randolph, and one of 70 infantry and another howitzer under Major Lane, of the North Carolina Regiment, started different routes to cut off a party which had left Hampton. The party was seen and fired at by Major Randolph's detachment, but made such fast time that they escaped. The troops under Major Lane passed within sight of Hampton, and as they turned up the road to return to Bethel, encountered the Yankees, numbering about 90, who were intrenched behind a fence in the field, protected by a high bank. Our advance guard fired on them, and in another moment the North Carolinians were dashing over the fence in regular French (not New York) Zouave style, firing at them in real squirrel-hunting style. The Yankees fled for their lives after firing for about three minutes without effect, leaving behind them three dead and a prisoner. The fellow was a stout, ugly fellow from Troy, N. Y. He said he had nothing against the South, but somebody must be soldiers, and he thought he had as well enlist. None of our men were hurt. This bold excursion, under the very guns of the enemy, determined [361] mined the authorities at Old Point to put a stop to it, and clear us out from Bethel. This determination was conveyed to us from persons who came from the neighborhood of the enemy. On Monday morning 600 infantry and two guns, under General Magruder, left the camp and proceeded towards Hampton, but after advancing a mile or two, received information that the Yankees were coming in large force. We then retired, and after reaching camp the guns were placed in battery and the infantry took their places behind their breastwork. Everybody was cool, and all were anxious to give the invaders a good reception. About 9 o'clock the glittering bayonets of the enemy appeared on the. hill opposite, and above them waved the Star-Spangled Banner. The moment the head of the column advanced far enough to show one or two companies, the Parrott gun of the Howitzer Battery opened on them, throwing a shell right into their midst. Their ranks broke in confusion, and the column, or as much of it as we could see, retreated behind two small farm-houses. From their position a fire was opened on us, which was replied to by our battery, which commanded the route of their approach. Our firing was excellent, and the shells scattered in all directions when they burst. They could hardly approach the guns which they were firing for the shells which came from our battery. Within our encampment fell a perfect hail-storm of canister-shot, bullets, and balls. Remarkable to say, not one of our men was killed inside of our encampment. Several horses were slain by the shells and bullets. Finding that bombardment would not answer, the enemy, about 11 o'clock, tried to carry the position by assault, but met a terrible repulse at the hands of the infantry as he tried to scale the breastworks. The men disregarded sometimes the defences erected for them, and, leaping on the embankment, stood and fired at the Yankees, cutting them down as they came up. One company of the New York 7th Regiment, under Capt. Winthrop, attempted to take the redoubt on the left. The marsh they crossed was strewn with their bodies. Their captain, a fine-looking man, reached the fence, and, leaping on a log, waved his sword, crying, “Come on, boys; one charge, and the day is ours.” The words were his last, for a Carolina rifle ended his life the next moment, and his men fled in terror back. At the redoubt on the right, a company of about three hundred New York Zouaves charged one of our guns, but could not stand the fire of the infantry, and retreated precipitately. During these charges the main body of the enemy on the hill were attempting to concentrate for a general assault, but the shells from the Howitzer Battery prevented them. As one regiment would give up the effort, another would be marched to the position, but with no better success, for a shell would scatter them like chaff. The men did not seem able to stand fire at all. About one o'clock their guns were silenced, and a few moments after, their infantry retreated precipitately down the road to Hampton. Our cavalry, numbering three companies, went in pursuit, and harassed them down to the edge of Hampton. As they retreated many of the wounded fell along the road and died, and the whole road to Hampton was strewn with haversacks, over. coats, canteens, muskets, &c., which the men had thrown off in their retreat. After the battle, I visited the position they held. The houses behind which they had been hid had been burnt by our troops. Around the yard were the dead bodies of the men who had been killed by our cannon, mangled in the most frightful manner by the shells. The uniforms on the bodies were very different, and many of them are like those of the Virginia soldiery. A little further on we came to the point to which they had carried some of their wounded, who had since died. The gay-looking uniforms of the New York Zouaves contrasted greatly with the paled, fixed faces of their dead owners. Going to the swamp through which they attempted to pass to assault our lines, presented another bloody scene. Bodies dotted the black morass from one end to the other. I saw one boyish, delicate-looking fellow lying on the mud, with a bullet-hole through his breast. His hand was pressed on the wound from which his life blood had poured, and the other was clenched in the grass that grew near him. Lying on the ground was a Testament which had fallen from his pocket, dabbed with blood. On opening the cover I found the printed inscription: “Presented to the Defenders of their Country, by the New York Bible Society.” A United States flag was also stamped on the title-page. Among the haversacks picked up along the route were many letters from the Northern States, asking if they liked the Southern farms, and if the Southern barbarians had been whipped out yet. The force of the enemy brought against us was 4,000, according, to the statement of the six prisoners we took. Ours was 1,100. Their loss in killed and wounded must be nearly 200. Our loss is one killed and three wounded. The fatal case was that of a North Carolinian who volunteered to fire one of the houses behind which they were stationed. He started from the breastwork to accomplish it, but was shot in the head. He died this morning in the hospital. The wounded are Harry Shook, of Richmond, of Brown's battery, shot in the wrist; John Werth, of Richmond, of the same battery, shot in the leg, and Lieut. Hudnall, of the same battery, shot in the foot. None of the wounds are serious. The Louisiana Regiment arrived about one hour after the fight was over. They are a fine-looking set of fellows. As there was force enough at Old Point to send up to Bethel and surround us, we took up the line of march, and came up to Yorktown, where we now are. I hear to-day that troops from Old Point are now marching up to attack us, but cannot say whether it is so or not.

--Richmond Despatch, (Extra,) June 12.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 11th, 1861 AD (4)
10th (2)
9th (2)
June 12th, 1861 AD (1)
June 10th, 1861 AD (1)
June 9th, 1861 AD (1)
June 12th (1)
June 9th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: