Forty-eighth regiment Massachusetts Infantry (Militia).
Col. Eben F. Stone
|Field and Staff.||Line.||companies.||Unassigned Recruits.||Totals.|
|Number on regimental rolls,—|
|Enlisted men (included above) commissioned in regiment.2||1||–||1||1||2||1||1||1||1||–||1||–||–||10|
|Enlisted men (included above) serving elsewhere within regiment.||–||–||1||–||–||–||–||1||–||–||–||1||–||3|
|Actual total of members of regiment,—|
Eight companies of infantry were recruited at Camp Lander, Wenham, Mass.
, to form, as an Essex County
organization, the 48th Infantry, Mass. Volunteer Militia, under Col. Eben F. Stone
, but on account of the immediate demand for troops for the Banks expedition, four companies of men recruiting at Lakeville
to form an Irish regiment were consolidated with six of these companies and formed in that manner the 48th Infantry; the remaining two original Essex County
companies were detached to fill the ranks of the 4th Infantry, Mass. Volunteer Militia, then being organized at Lakeville
for its nine months term of service.
The 48th left the State
for New York Dec. 27, 1862, sailed Jan. 4, 1863, for Fortress Monroe
and reached New Orleans February 1.
It was sent, two days later, to Baton Rouge
, and became part of the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Army Corps.
It took part in a reconnoissance toward Port Hudson
March 13 and joined the next day in the general advance of the forces to that place.
It was engaged at Plains Store, and was most actively engaged at the assault on Port Hudson
May 27, providing ninety-three volunteers from its ranks for the storming party, among them Lieutenant-Colonel O'Brien
, who was killed in the action.
It suffered loss again on June 14, forming temporarily part of the 3d Division.
In the movement to Donaldsonville
, the regiment met with loss at Bayou La Fourche
It was stationed in camp near Donaldsonville
until August 1, when it returned to Baton Rouge
and on the 9th left for Massachusetts
, its term of service having expired.
It arrived at Boston
August 23 and was mustered out at Camp Lander Sept. 3, 1863.