(otherwise written Saket), was one of the first company.
His name appears on the Records before Aug. 1633, and for the last time 20 Aug. 1635.
He res. on the northerly side of Winthrop Street, between Holyoke and Dunster streets. Administration on his estate was granted by the General Court 3 Nov. 1635 to his wid. ‘Isabell Sackett
She is named on the Records 8 Feb. 1635-6, after which the name disappears.
The estate passed into the hands of Robert Stedman
before 1642. Simon Sackett
, about 1654, and John Sackett
, in 1660, were sons of Simon
, Sir Richard, was one of the Assistants, when the Government
of the Colony was removed to Massachusetts
He had lands in Wat., and res. there a short time.
Although he returned to England
in 1631, he seems still to have been regarded as an Assistant, and provision was made for him when Camb
was selected as a suitable place for a fortified town and the residence of the Governor
What is now called Winthrop Square was granted to him for a house lot; but, as he did not return, it was devoted for a Market Place
, and has always remained public property.
, Daniel (otherwise written Sanders
), d. 27 Feb. 1639-40.
No trace of family.
2. Robert, in 1639 and 1642 res. on the S. E. corner of Mount Auburn
and Dunster streets.
No trace of family.
3. Jonathan, m. Abiah Bartlett
24 Oct. 1669, and had Abiah
, twins, b. 25 Oct. 1673; Thomas
, b. 10 Mar. 1674-5; John
, b. 25 Mar. 1677; Benjamin
, b. 28 May 1679; Samuel
, b. 28 May 1681; Edward
, b. 3 Mar. 1683-4; Hannah
, b. 31 May 1689.
Jonathan the f. deposed 1696 (then aged 49) that he lived with Justinian Holden
when he was 17 years old.
, aged 40, came to New England
in 1635 with w. Rachel
, and settled at Braintree
His w. d. 15 Sept. 1651, and he m. Elizabeth
, widow of Roger Bancroft
of Camb., and d. 4 Aug. 1658.
He was the ancestor of the Camb.
family bearing that name, as appears by the Saunders Family Record and Genealogy
, of which what follows is an abstract.
5. John, s. of Martin
(4), d. in Braintree
John, s. of John (5), m. Hannah Penniman
15 Dec. 1692.
7. John, s. of John (6), bap. 20 Mar. 1712, m. Mary Spear
3 June 1735, and had six children of whom the fifth was William
, b. in Quincy
8. William, s. of John (7), ‘res.
from 1770 to 1775, when he returned to his native town, and m. 20 Nov. 1782 Ann, the eldest dau. of Dr. Elisha Savil
, H. C. 1743,’ by whom he had William
, b. 14 May 1787, and four daughters.
William the f. d. 27 Oct. 1830; his w. Ann d. 2 Ap. 1826.
9. William, s. of William (8), removed to Camb
in 1801, m. Sarah Flagg
8 June 1815, and had William Augustus
, b. 9 June 1818, merchant, member of Common Council, and Alderman
, m. Mary W. Prentiss
22 Dec. 1841; Charles Hicks
, b. 10 Nov. 1821, merchant, member of Common Council, Alderman
, and Mayor
, m. Mary B. Ball
18 Sept. 1849; George Savil
, b. 2 Oct. 1823, merchant, member of Common Council and President
of that Board, m. Lucy C. Willard
11 Feb. 1847; Francis Edward
, b. 14 Aug. 1826, merchant, m. Eliza A. Whittemore
30 Ap. 1856; Sarah Ann
, b. 8 Mar. 1828;
, b. 6 Dec. 1830, dealer in real estate
William the f. was a carpenter, a member of the first Common Council, and Alderman
He resided on Garden Street, near Appian Way, and d. 29 Ap. 1861; his w. Sarah d. 6 Nov. 1871, aged nearly 82.
, John (otherwise written Sawtle, and Satle
), a grandson of Thomas Post, as appears by Mr. Post
's will 1691, had grants of land here in 1689.
had w. Anna
, but no children; he resided at the N. W. corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn
streets, where the church now stands.
, Enoch Satle
and Bethia Satle
, both of Wat., and John Hews
Farms with his w. Ruth, quitclaimed to Josiah Parker
, 21 Oct. 1700, all their interest in the real estate
of their brother John Satle
late of Camb., deceased; the same estate was quitclaimed by Parker
26 Ap. 1709 to ‘Anna Satle
,’ and sold by ‘Anna Sawtell
, widow,’ to John Knight, 4 June 1711.
, d. here 24 Oct. 1690.
Mary, m. Samuel Goffe
9 Nov. 1682.
, was here in 1634, and in 1635 owned a house and five acres on the northerly side of Brattle Street, near Mason Street
He removed to Hartford
about 1636, and was accidentally killed by John Ewe 6 Nov. 1643.
He had son Thomas
and two daughters, who with their mother were mentioned in his nuncupative will.
, by w. Margaret, had Joseph
, b. 14 May 1644; Benjamin
, b. 5 July 1646; John
, b. 2 July 1648; Elizabeth
, b. 27 May and d. 3 June 1650.
Benjamin the f. was of Braintree
in 1640, where he had son John
. He removed to Rowley
, and d. in 1671.
3. Samuel, by w. Sarah, had Thomas
, b. 31 July 1710; Samuel
, b. 22 Sept. 1712; Sarah
, b. 9 Jan. 1714-15; Esther
, b. 20 Feb. 1716-17.
A Sarah Scott
m. William Smith
27 Oct. 1757.
4. John, by w. Lydia, had Abraham
, b. 27 June 1732.
5. Edward, established himself in Cambridgeport
, soon after West Boston Bridge was erected.
At the sale of the Jarvis estate, in 1801, he purchased several lots, among which was the estate at the N. E. corner of Main and Norfolk streets (now owned by