previous next

Chapter 9:

Up to this time cavalry had played an unimportant part in the operations of either army. With no reflection upon the merits of other commanders of cavalry, as Forrest and Wheeler in the West and J. E. B. Stuart and Hampton in the East, who afterwards became conspicuous for their great achievements, the man who first demonstrated in the Confederate war the value of cavalry as an adjunct to the infantry, and who above all others was the originator during the war of that system of effective warfare known as the raid, was John H. Morgan. His was not the cavalry known before his time, as the compact, slow-moving, heavily accoutered horsemen, who moved with infantry and were used upon the [92] flank in marches, or in battle to be brought in at the critical moment for an irresistible charge; but the mounted light infantrymen, drilled to fight on foot when necessary and inured to long marches, who did not hover near the infantry for protection, but acting as its advanced scout, could on occasions cut loose from all communications with the base and by great detours get to the rear of the enemy, destroy his lines of communication, burn his bridges and stores, and retard his operations by the diversion of large bodies of men to protect threatened points. For the service in which Morgan rose to such distinction he was fortunately well adapted by all the conditions calculated to secure success. He was an educated man with some experience in the Mexican war as lieutenant of cavalry, and afterwards, as the captain of a volunteer rifle company, was noted for the discipline and superior drill of his command. Of strikingly handsome features and physique, he had an address which inspired in those associated with him, confidence, respect and friendship. His influence over men was such that if he had selected politics for his field, he could have had advancement at his will. But he chose a more quiet pursuit, and when the war broke out, he was a successful manufacturer, with a lingering taste for tactics which found its expression in being for a number of years at the head of a military company of the young men of Lexington, which was the pride of the town. Like most Kentuckians he was fond of a horse and of outdoor sports, and sat a saddle like a centaur.

Notwithstanding the agitation and excitement which for four or five months had existed in Kentucky at the inception of hostilities and had led numbers of young men to leave their homes for service in the Confederate army, Morgan had not been allured from his customary pursuits. All of his associations, sympathies and interests were Southern, but his temperament was cool, his mind was not inflamed with politics, and like many of the [93] people of his State and locality, he put faith in the asseverations of his Union friends who proclaimed neutrality the panacea for all our ills and the ultimate preserver of peace. He had an abiding faith in the assurance that no one would be molested for his opinions as declared by the resolutions of the legislature, the proclamation of the governor and the general orders of General Anderson when he became the military commander of Kentucky. If he had so desired or intended, he could have taken his company fully equipped away in safety and comfort, yet he remained at home until the process of arrests and the deportation of private citizens to Northern prisons began in violation of all good faith. Suddenly by night his town was invaded by a force from Camp Dick Robinson for the purpose of arresting General Breckinridge and other prominent citizens, who, like himself, had rested secure in the pledges given. Then when it was whispered that he himself was to be a victim, on the next night, September 20th, his resolution was taken, and placing his guns in a wagon with a few of his friends hastily summoned, he eluded the pickets, and mounted made his way to Bowling Green. Reference has been made to his arrival there with 200 men who had joined him singly and in squads, and who attached themselves to various commands in process of organization. With a small body of 20 or 30 men he at once entered upon duty, scouting to the front, and from the beginning displayed the daring which afterwards characterized his operations, passing in rear of the enemy, learning their force and movements and inflicting damage upon bridges, depots and trains. His force gradually increased until it was known as a squadron, with his most trusted men as his lieutenants, and he became of the most valuable aid to the commanding general in the celerity of his movements and the accuracy of his information. When the army fell back through Nashville, he covered its rear and picketed close to the Federal lines. [94]

His first raid was made after General Johnston had started from Murfreesboro for Corinth and Shiloh. On the 7th of March, with Lieutenant-Colonel Wood, ten Texas Rangers and fifteen of his own squadron, he proceeded through by-roads to within eight or ten miles of Nashville, and next morning, in the immediate vicinity of that place, commenced capturing Federal army wagons as they came along, and disarming the men until he had 98 prisoners, including several officers. He then divided his command into three parties and started back with his prisoners, but one detachment was pursued by the Fourth Ohio cavalry and obliged to abandon sixty of the prisoners. Notwithstanding this he brought in 38 prisoners with a large number of horses, mules, pistols, saddles, etc. A second raid was made on the 15th, when he and Colonel Wood with forty men set out from Murfreesboro secretly and in separate parties in the afternoon. They made a rapid night march after reuniting, and reached Gallatin, on the Louisville & Nashville railroad, twenty-six miles north of Nashville, at 4 o'clock p. m. the next day. Here he seized the telegraph office with several of General Buell's dispatches and burned all the rolling stock and water tanks of the railroad, returning with five prisoners and without loss, through the enemy's lines to Shelbyville, Tenn. Gallatin was several times during the war the scene of his most successful raids.

At the battle of Shiloh he rendered valuable service both in the advance and the retreat and on the flank of the army during the battle. Shortly after the battle he received permission to make a dash into Tennessee, and on the 26th of April, with a force of 350 men, composed of his own squadron and detachments from Col. Wirt Adams' regiment and McNairy's battalion, he crossed the Tennessee river on a small horse ferry and on the 30th reached Lawrenceburg, Tenn., where the troops encamped for the night. Next day he attacked and routed 400 convalescents employed in erecting a telegraph [95] line, capturing and paroling many prisoners. He then passed around Nashville and reached Lebanon, about thirty miles east, on the night of May 4th. His command was fatigued by the constant service, and he concluded to rest there until morning; but during the night, which was dark and rainy, he was overtaken by General Dumont, who had left Nashville with the First Kentucky cavalry, Colonel Wolford, and the Twenty-first Kentucky infantry. Morgan's pickets were in a house, and before the alarm could be given Wolford's cavalry charged full upon the camp and came near capturing the whole command. Morgan, with fifteen of his men, escaped, and on the 6th reached Sparta at the foot of the Cumberland mountains, east of Lebanon, where during the next three days fifty of his men joined him. One hundred and twenty-five of his men were captured and six killed. Most of the rest made their way through the Federal lines by circuitous routes and rejoined their several commands. Nothing daunted by this mishap he left Sparta on the 9th with 150 men, mostly recruits, and going in the direction of Bowling Green, entered territory familiar to him, capturing two trains of cars which he burned, and a number of prisoners whom he paroled.

About the middle of May he returned to the army at Corinth, and after a short rest began the work of organizing a larger and more effective command with a view of a more extensive raid into Kentucky. Capt. Basil W. Duke, who afterward won distinction scarcely second to that of General Morgan, had been with him from the start as his most trusted lieutenant, but had not been able to accompany him on his last raid on account of a wound received at Corinth, and having collected about 30 of Morgan's men who had been left behind, now rejoined him. Capt. Richard M. Gano, a Kentuckian from Texas, and Capt. John Hoffman from the same State, here also united their two companies of Rangers with the squadron, and its three companies being now [96] recruited to a maximum, General Morgan proceeded to Chattanooga as a better base for his proposed operations. On his arrival there he found three hundred men of the First Kentucky infantry, whose term of service had just expired in Virginia, who at once joined his command, and thus three more companies were organized. The command was then formed into a regiment, with John H. Morgan as colonel; Basil W. Duke, lieutenant-colonel; G. W. Morgan, a Tennesseean and cousin of John H. Morgan, major; Gordon E. Niles, adjutant; David H. Llewellyn, A. Q. M.; Hiram Reese, A. C. S.; Thomas Allen, surgeon; and Dr. Edelin, assistant surgeon. The companies were commanded as follows: Capt. Jacob Cassell, Company A; Capt. John Allen, Company B; Capt. J. W. Bowles, Company C; Capt. John B. Castleman, Company D; Capt. John Hutchinson, Company E; Capt. Thomas B. Webber, Company F; and Captain McFarland, Company G. These six companies and a fragment of the seventh numbered nearly 400 men, and the regiment became known as the Second Kentucky cavalry. The Texas Rangers were made a battalion, with Maj. R. M. Gano in command. They then moved to Knoxville. Some of the regiment, as General Duke in the history1 of the command says, were mounted, and the remainder ‘had hopes;’ for it must be borne in mind that in the South cavalry horses were not furnished by the government as in the North. In the latter part of June, Colonel Hunt arrived from Georgia with a company of partisans, which became a part of General Morgan's command, and increased his force to 870, of whom fifty or sixty were unmounted and 250 unarmed at the time he started into Kentucky.

But Morgan did not monopolize the laurels in the field of his special distinction. In the long list of brave and efficient soldiers furnished to the Confederate army by Tennessee, well called the Volunteer State, the name of [97] N. B. Forrest will always stand in her history in the first rank. He, too, was a quiet man, older by some years than Morgan, and without the same advantages of education, but a born soldier, who, with no military knowledge derived from books, knew as much of military strategy as Jomini, could command a division as well as a company and, saber in hand, was as ready to charge a regiment as a squad. Nothing daunted him, and he inspired his men with the magnetism of his own zeal and courage. He was a soldier of conspicuous presence, tall, broad-shouldered, and of strong, handsome features—a man of few words and intense action. He was a citizen of Memphis, and in October, 1861, organized a cavalry regiment of eight companies, aggregating about 650 men. When General Johnston took command at Bowling Green, Forrest at his own request was assigned to duty with General Lloyd Tilghman, in command at Hopkinsville, and picketed and scouted to the front between there and the Ohio river, covering General Johnston's left wing. The Federals maintained a good force at Henderson, Owensboro and other points along the Ohio to Paducah, and frequent skirmishes occurred between detachments of infantry and cavalry from these points and Colonel Forrest's command. The first regular cavalry engagement in Kentucky took place at Sacramento, between a detachment of Forrest's command led by himself, and one from Col. James S. Jackson's Third Kentucky cavalry, commanded by Maj. Eli H. Murray; in which, though the latter was defeated, he showed so much gallantry that he soon became the youngest brigadier-general in the Federal service. The casualties were few, numbering among them the death of Captain Meriwether, a Confederate, and Capt. Albert S. Bacon, a Federal officer. At Donelson Colonel Forrest won distinction by his services on the left, and in the battle of the 15th he assisted materially in driving back the Federal right wing. He covered the retreat of General [98] Johnston from Murfreesboro and took an active part in the battle of Shiloh and in the subsequent operations about Corinth. When the preparations were set on foot for the expedition to Kentucky, he was sent in advance to Chattanooga, and on the march to Kentucky he covered the right wing of Bragg's army under General Polk. As the details of General Forrest's operations belong to the history of Tennessee, and will be doubtless thoroughly treated in that volume, it has only been deemed necessary to refer to his operations bearing on Kentucky.

General Buell, meanwhile, was encountering many obstacles in his progress eastward through Tennessee and north Alabama. He had to rebuild bridges and repair railroads for the transportation of his army and to open a line of supply with his base on the Ohio. His army was much dispersed, it being necessary to guard his right flank and at the same time to so dispose his force as not to disclose the objective point, for while he had made up his mind to reach east Tennessee via McMinnville and Altamont, he was repairing the railroad and marching a column in the direction of Chattanooga to disconcert the enemy, or to take it if left unoccupied. He was encompassed by difficulties of the extent of which his superiors were but ill acquainted. Besides, he was never a favorite at Washington, and his suggestions and requests were received with scant approval, delayed or grudgingly complied with. He had incurred enmities and awakened jealousies in his own command which afterward bore fruit in his removal from command and prolonged prosecution before a military commission. As to the danger of attack from General Bragg in flank or front, while he appears to have exercised vigilance, he well says in his statement reviewing the evidence before the commission: ‘I did not anticipate that the enemy was to be left so unemployed at other points that he could direct his great efforts against my enterprise.’

Major-General Halleck's western department headquarters [99] had been at Corinth until June 16th, when he retired to Washington to become general-in-chief of the Federal armies. General Rosecrans, who about this time succeeded Pope in command of the army of the Mississippi, became early aware of the transfer of troops eastward by Bragg, and it is unaccountable that his army remained inactive and permitted it to be done. While thus hampered, neglected, and overwhelmed with the magnitude of the work before him and the responsibility of protecting a line of 300 miles from Cumberland Gap to Corinth, Gen. John H. Morgan spread consternation throughout Kentucky and Tennessee by his great raid into the former State. Leaving Knoxville on the 4th of July by way of Kingston and Sparta, he passed rapidly through Tompkinsville, Ky., where he crossed the Cumberland to Glasgow, Lebanon, Harrodsburg, Versailles, Georgetown and Cynthiana, where he had a heavy engagement on the 17th. Thence he returned south via Paris, Winchester, Crab Orchard, Somerset and Sparta, making the great circuit in twenty-five days, capturing many prisoners and destroying much military property and securing valuable recruits. Besides this, great demoralization was caused throughout General Buell's army and department, and many times the number of troops in his command were diverted from other service to protect threatened points or attempt Morgan's capture.

Following are the reports of General Morgan, giving the details of this remarkable raid:

Brigade Headquarters, Tompkinsville, Ky., July 9, 1862.
Sir: I have the honor to report that I arrived with my command at the Cumberland river and passed the ford about 2 p. m. yesterday, 8th inst. My forces consisted of Colonel Hunt's Georgia regiment of cavalry, my own regiment and a squadron of Texas Rangers. We were joined at the river by two companies under Captains Hamilton and McMillan. I received information that the enemy had passed Cumberland river at Salina [100] the day of my arrival, with about 780 men, but did not deem it right to attack that force, as I was aware that a considerable body of cavalry, about 380 or 400 strong, were stationed at this town, and I thought by a rapid night march I might succeed in surprising them. I left the river at 10 p. m. on the 8th inst., and at 5 a. m. this day I surprised the enemy and having surrounded them, threw four shells into their camp and then carried it by a dashing charge. The enemy fled, leaving 22 dead and 30 or 40 wounded in our hands. We have 30 prisoners and my Texas squadron is still in pursuit of the fugitives. Among the prisoners is Major Jordan, their commander, and two lieutenants. The tents, stores and camp equipage I have destroyed, but a valuable baggage train consisting of some twenty wagons and fifty mules is in my session; also some forty cavalry horses and supplies of sugar, coffee, etc. I did not lose a single man in killed, but I have to regret that Colonel Hunt, while leading a brilliant charge, received a severe wound in the leg which prevents his going on with the command. I also had three members of the Texas squadron wounded but not seriously.

John H. Morgan, Colonel commanding. Maj.-Gen. E. Kirby Smith, Commanding, Knoxville, Tenn.

Headquarters Morgan's Command, Knoxville, Tenn., July 30, 1862.
General: I have the honor to report that upon the day of the engagement at Tompkinsville, a full report of which I have already sent you, I moved my command (consisting of my own regiment, the Georgia regiment of Partisan rangers, commanded by Col. A. A. Hunt, and Major Gano's squadron, to which were attached two companies of Tennessee cavalry) in the direction of Glasgow, which place I reached at 12 o'clock that night. There were but few troops in the town, who fled at our approach. The commissary stores, clothing, etc., together with a large supply of medical stores found in Glasgow, were burned, and the guns were distributed among my command, about 200 of which were unarmed when I left Knoxville. From Glasgow I proceeded along the main Lexington road to Barren [Green] river, halting for a short time near Cave City, my object being to induce the belief that I intended destroying the railroad [101] bridge between Bowling Green and Woodsonville. I caused wires connecting with the portable battery that I carried with me to be attached to the telegraph line near Horse Cave and intercepted a number of dispatches. At Barren [Green] river, I detached three companies under Capt. Jack Allen to move forward rapidly and destroy the Salt river bridge, that the troops along the line of the railroad might be prevented from returning to Louisville.

On the following morning I moved on toward Lebanon, distant 35 miles from Barren [Green] river. At 11 o'clock at night I reached the bridge over Rolling Fork six miles from Lebanon. The enemy had received information of my approach from their spies and my advance guard was fired upon at the bridge. After a short fight the force at the bridge was dispersed, and the planks which were torn up having been replaced, the command moved forward to Lebanon. About two miles on a skirmish commenced between two companies I caused to dismount and deploy and a force of the enemy posted upon the road, which was soon ended by its dispersion and capture. Lieut.-Col. A. Y. Johnson, commanding the troops in the town surrendered and I entered the place. The prisoners taken, in number about sixty-five, were paroled. I took immediate possession of the telegraph and intercepted a dispatch to Colonel Johnson informing him that Colonel Owen with the Sixtieth Indiana regiment had been ordered to his assistance; so I at once dispatched a company of Texas Rangers under Major Gano to destroy the railroad bridge on the Lebanon branch, which he successfully accomplished in time to prevent the arrival of the troops. I burned two long buildings of commissary stores, consisting of upward of 500 sacks of coffee and a large amount of other supplies in bulk, marked for the army at Cumberland Gap. I also destroyed a very large amount of clothing, boots, etc. I burned the hospital buildings, which appeared to have been recently erected and fitted up, together with about 25 wagons and 53 new ambulances. I found in the place a large store of medicines, five thousand stand of arms with accouterments, about two thousand sabers and an immense quantity of ammunition, shell, etc. I distributed the best arms among my command and loaded one wagon with them to be given to recruits that I expected [102] to join me; I also loaded a wagon with ammunition. The remainder of the arms, ammunition and the hospital and medical stores, I destroyed

While in Lebanon I ascertained from telegraph dispatches that I intercepted, that the force which had been started from Lebanon Junction to reinforce Lieutenant-Colonel Johnson had met and driven back the force under Capt. Jack Allen, killing one of the men and preventing him from accomplishing the purpose for which he had been detached. I proceeded from Lebanon on the following day through Springfield to Mackville, at which point I was attacked by Home Guards. Two of my men were taken prisoners and one severely wounded. I remained at Mackville that night to recover the prisoners, which I did the next morning. I then left for Harrodsburg, capturing a Federal captain and lieutenant on the road; reached Harrodsburg the 13th at 12:30 o'clock. Found that the Home Guards of all that portion of the country had fled to Lexington; a force was also stationed on the bridge where the Lexington road crossed the Kentucky river. My reception at this place was very encouraging. The whole population turned out and vied with each other as to who should show the most attention. I left Harrodsburg at six o'clock the same evening and moved to Lawrenceburg twenty miles distant, threatening Frankfort in order to draw off the troops from Georgetown. Remained there until the return of my courier from Frankfort, who brought the information that there was a force in Frankfort of 2,000 or 3,000 men, consisting of Home Guards collected from the adjacent counties and a few regular troops. From Lawrenceburg I proceeded to Shryock's Ferry on the Kentucky river, raised the boat which had been sunk, and crossed that evening, reaching Versailles at 7 o'clock. I found this place abandoned by its defenders, who had fled to Lexington; remained there that night and on the next morning marched toward Georgetown. While at Versailles I took about 300 government horses and mules. I passed through Midway on the way to Georgetown and was informed just before reaching the place that a train from Frankfort was due with two regiments of Federals. I tore up the track and posted the howitzers to command it and formed my command along the line of the road, but the train was warned of our presence and returned [103] to Frankfort. Having taken possession of the telegraph office I intercepted a dispatch asking if the road was clear and if it would be safe to start the train from Lexington. I replied to send the train and made preparations to receive it, but it was also turned back and escaped. I reached Georgetown, 12 miles from Lexington, that evening, the 15th. Just before entering the town I was informed that a small force of Home Guards had mustered to oppose us. I sent them word to surrender their arms and they should not be molested, but they fled.

The people of Georgetown also welcomed us with gladness and provided my troops with everything they needed. I remained at Georgetown two days, during which time I sent out a company under Captain McMillin to destroy the track between Midway and Lexington and Midway and Frankfort and to blow up the stone bridge on that road, which he successfully accomplished. Hearing that a company of Home Guards were encamped at Stamping Ground, 13 miles distant, I dispatched a company under Captain Hamilton to break up their encampment, burn the tents and stores, and destroy the guns. This was also accomplished, Captain Hamilton taking fifteen prisoners and all their guns and destroying a large amount of medical and commissary stores. I, also, while at Georgetown, sent Captain Castleman with his company to destroy the railroad bridges between Paris and Lexington and report to me at Winchester. This was done.

Determining to move on Paris with a view of returning and hearing that the place was being rapidly reinforced from Cincinnati, I deemed it of great importance to cut off the communication from that place, while I drew off the troops that were already there by a feint on Lexington. I therefore dispatched a force of two companies toward Lexington with instructions to drive the pickets to the very entrance of the city, while I moved [on the 17th] toward Cynthiana. When I arrived within three miles of this place, I learned that it was defended by a considerable force of infantry, cavalry and artillery. I dispatched the Texas cavalry under Major Gano to enter the town on the right, and the Georgia regiment to cross the river and get in the rear, while I moved my own regiment, with the artillery under the command of Lieut. J. E. Harris, down the Georgetown pike. A severe engagement took place, which lasted about an hour and a half [104] before the enemy were driven into the town and compelled to surrender. I took four hundred and twenty prisoners, including about seventy Home Guards. I regret to mention the loss of eight of my men in killed and 29 wounded. The enemy's loss was 194 in killed and wounded, according to their own account. Their excess in killed and wounded is remarkable, as they fought us from behind stone fences and fired at us from buildings as we passed through town. We captured a very fine twelve-pounder brass piece of artillery, together with a large number of small arms and about three hundred government horses. I found a very large supply of commissary and medical stores, tents, guns and ammunition at this place, which I destroyed. The paroled prisoners were sent under an escort to Falmouth, where they took the train for Cincinnati.

I proceeded the next morning toward Paris and was met on the road by the bearer of a flag of truce, offering the unconditional surrender of the place. I reached Paris at 4 o'clock [18th], remained there that night and started toward Winchester the next morning. As my command was filing out of Paris on the Winchester pike, I discovered a large force of Federals coming toward the town from the direction of Lexington. They countermarched, supposing no doubt that my intention was to get in their rear. This enabled me to bring off my entire command without molestation with the exception of two of my pickets who probably were surprised; reached Winchester that day at 12 o'clock, remained till 4 o'clock when I proceeded toward Richmond. At Winchester I found a number of arms, which were destroyed. I arrived at Richmond at 12 o'clock that night and remained until the next afternoon, when I proceeded to Crab Orchard. I had determined to make a stand at Richmond and await reinforcements, as the whole people seemed ready to rise and join me, but I received information that large bodies of cavalry under Gen. Green Clay Smith and Colonels Wolford, Metcalfe, Munday and Wynkoop were endeavoring to surround me at this place, so I moved [21st] on to Crab Orchard. There I attached my portable battery to the telegraph leading from Stanford to Louisville and learned the exact position of the enemy's forces and directed my movements accordingly.

Leaving Crab Orchard at 11 o'clock I arrived [on 22d] [105] at Somerset, distant 28 miles, at sundown. I took possession of the telegraph and countermanded all previous orders that had been given by General Boyle to pursue me, and remained in perfect security all night. I found a very large supply of commissary stores, clothing, blankets, shoes, hats, etc., at this place, which were destroyed. I also found the arms that had been taken from Zollicoffer, together with large quantities of shell and ammunition, all of which were destroyed. I also burned at this place and Crab Orchard, 120 government wagons. From Somerset I proceeded to Monticello and from there to a point between Livingston and Sparta, where my command is now encamped.

I left Knoxville on the 4th day of this month with about 900 men and returned to Livingston on the 28th with nearly 1,200, having been absent just 24 days, during which time I traveled over one thousand miles, captured seventeen towns, destroyed all the government supplies and arms in them, dispersed about 1,500 Home Guards, and paroled nearly 1,200 troops. I lost in killed, wounded and missing, of the number I carried into Kentucky, about 90.

I take great pleasure in testifying to the gallant bravery and efficiency of my whole command. There were individual instances of daring so conspicuous that I must beg the privilege of referring to them. Private Moore, of Louisiana, a member of Company A, of my regiment, particularly distinguished himself by leading a charge which had an important effect in winning the battle. The reports of the regimental commanders which are inclosed, are respectfully referred to for further instances of individual bravery and efficiency. I feel indebted to all my aides for the promptness with which my orders were executed, and particularly to Col. St. Leger Grenfell for the assistance which his experience afforded me.2 [106]

All of which is respectfully submitted.

John H. Morgan, Acting Brigadier-General, C. S. Army. R. A. Alston, Asst. Adjt.-Gen.

The effect of Morgan's raid was far reaching and involved much more than the mere physical results narrated so clearly in his report. It convulsed the whole Federal organization in General Buell's department from Louisville and Cincinnati to Huntsville, Ala., at which latter place General Buell had his headquarters. At the time Morgan was between Glasgow and Lebanon, the military commander of Kentucky, at Louisville, telegraphed General Buell that he had 1, 800 men at Munfordville, and next day, July 12, ‘Morgan has over 1,500 men; his force is increasing. All the rebels in the State will join him if there is not a demonstration of force and power sent in cavalry. The State will be desolated unless this matter is at once attended to. This city is so endangered that I am bound to keep force here. Send me cavalry and other reinforcements. I know more of Kentucky than you can possibly know, and unless it is in. tended to abandon Kentucky I must have the force.’ General Buell had already ordered five companies sent from Nashville to Bowling Green and five to Munfordville. He communicated to General Halleck the necessity of five more regiments of cavalry, directed General Boyle to send two regiments and a squadron of cavalry to Mount Sterling and Lexington; notified Gen. Geo. W. Morgan at Cumberland Gap of the danger to his line of supplies and hoped he could send a regiment, and assured General Boyle that although he had not a man to spare from his work, he would at once send more troops to Kentucky. The mayor of Cincinnati, being notified, said he would send 500 men, and the governor of Ohio 1,000 stand of arms, while the governor of Indiana said he would send a regiment. All this telegraphing took place on the 12th. [107]

The scare increased. On the 13th General Boyle telegraphed Capt. Oliver D. Greene, Buell's assistant adjutant-general: ‘Morgan's force is increasing. The rebels are rising in the counties on the Ohio. The State will be under the domination of Morgan in a few days. He will take Frankfort and Lexington if forces are not sent immediately.’ Then, the specter growing, he telegraphed General Halleck, ‘Morgan has invaded Kentucky with 3,000 men, robbed the bank, and is murdering and stealing everywhere. My force is inadequate to drive him out. Can you not send us assistance.’ The men in buckram had grown into a host. Then he pleads with Stanton to know if Governor Yates of Illinois cannot send a force to Paducah, complains that he has over and over again asked for reinforcements from General Buell and adds that ‘all the forces in Ohio and Indiana should be sent to Kentucky.’ President Lincoln responds calmly that General Buell's position is such that he cannot deplete his force; and then he drolly telegraphs General Halleck, then at Tuscumbia, Ala.: ‘They are having a stampede in Kentucky. Please look to it.’

Thus it went on until General Morgan took his leave, and then on the 20th, General Boyle telegraphs Buell, ‘I do not believe now that he had over 1,000 or 1,200 men.’ They were again veritable men in buckram. When Morgan is well out of reach, he telegraphs General Buell on the 23d, ‘I shall issue orders that guerrillas and armed squads are to be shot and not taken prisoners. I shall seize horses of secessionists to mount my men and at proper time require them to pay for Union men's property stolen and destroyed.’ A few days before he had said, ‘I shall publish an order forbidding secessionists standing for office.’ The State election was to be held on the first Monday in August. General Buell responds on the 24th: ‘I approve of punishing the guilty, but it will not answer to announce the rule of no quarter, even to guerrillas. Neither will it be judicious to levy contributions [108] upon secessionists for opinions alone.’ General Buell's conservatism was fatal to him. He was pursuing the same policy first inaugurated by him, and the very men who had in the previous autumn guaranteed to Kentuckians exemption from punishment for opinions held were now clamoring for their arrest, punishment and disfranchisement. The era was fast approaching when even Federal soldiers were banished or put in irons for dissenting from the extreme policy, property of noncombatants confiscated, assessments levied, and Confederate soldiers taken from prison and shot without trial or personal charge, for the acts of alleged guerrillas.3

But even before Morgan had ceased to vex the souls of his adversaries, a new cause of consternation occurred in the capture of Murfreesboro by General Forrest, in which he displayed his forte as signally as General Morgan had shown his peculiar genius. On the 13th of July he left Chattanooga with the Texas Rangers of Col. John A. Wharton, and the Second Georgia cavalry of Col. W. J. Lawton, and made a forced march of fifty miles to Altamont, arriving at McMinnville on the night of the 11th. Here he was joined by Col. J. J. Morrison, with a [109] portion of the First Georgia cavalry, two companies of Spiller's battalion under Major Smith, and two companies of Kentuckians under Capts. W. J. Taylor and Waltham, increasing his force to 1,400. Resting until 1p. m. on the 12th he marched for Murfreesboro, fifty miles, and arrived there at 4:30 a. m. on the 13th, capturing the pickets without firing a gun. The Federal forces were under the command of Gen. T. T. Crittenden, of Indiana, and consisted of portions of the Ninth Michigan infantry, Seventh Pennsylvania cavalry, Third Minnesota infantry and Capt. J. M. Hewett's Kentucky battery. They were in three separate camps. General Forrest at once attacked the first two commands in the town with the Texas Rangers, charging their camp, and holding off the other commands a mile and a quarter distant with the rest of his command. The result, after a feeble resistance, was the capture of the entire Federal force of 1,400 men, whom he carried off to McMinnville after burning a large amount of government stores (General Forrest's report, Records, Vol. XVI, part I, page 810). The First Minnesota did not fire a gun; the commander was dismissed the service. General Buell in general orders, July 21st, says of the affair: ‘Taking it in all its features, few more disgraceful examples of neglect of duty and lack of good conduct can be found in the history of wars.’ This was another stunning blow, and intensified the alarm. The force of the Confederates threatening further aggressions was exaggerated, and no one could tell when the next blow would be struck. On the 19th, General Boyle, not yet freed of the alarm General Morgan had inspired, telegraphed Secretary Stanton, saying that General Nelson, who had been sent to Murfreesboro after Forrest's incursion, had reported that ‘30,000 rebels threatened him at that place, and he expects an engagement,’ when the fact is that General Bragg's army was still at Tupelo and there was not a Confederate regiment within a hundred miles. [110]

The effect of this brilliant success of General Forrest can best be judged by the following extract from General Buell's statement in review of the evidence before the military commission (Records, Vol. XVI, part 1, page 35). Referring to the campaign at this period, he says: ‘Morgan had not yet disappeared from Kentucky after his first inroad when Forrest suddenly appeared at Murfreesboro on the 13th of July, surprised and captured the garrison, consisting of 1,400 men, cavalry, artillery and infantry, forming part of the force which was about to march from that place and Tullahoma to occupy Mc-Minnville, and did serious damage to the railroad. Two other regiments which had been designed for Murfreesboro had been detached and sent into Kentucky on the occasion of Morgan's incursion. The consequence of this disaster was serious. The use of the railroad from Nashville, which had been completed the very day before, and which I was depending on to throw supplies into Stevenson for a forward movement, was set back two weeks; the force of Forrest threatened Nashville itself and the whole line of railroad through Tennessee, and the occupation of McMinnville was delayed two weeks.’ Thus it will be seen that these two small columns of Generals Morgan and Forrest disconcerted the whole scheme of General Buell's campaign, and delayed his operations much more than two weeks, as further developments will show.

General Nelson's division arrived at McMinnville on the 3d of August, and General Buell was actively engaged in concentrating his army there preparatory to crossing the mountains at Altamont for the invasion of East Tennessee, when General Morgan again appeared on the scene as a disturbing element. On the 10th of August, having moved from Kingston, Tenn., by his favorite route via Sparta, he made his appearance at Gallatin, 26 miles north of Nashville, which had been the scene of his raid in March, and at daylight of the 12th captured [111] Col. W. P. Boone and five companies of the Twenty-eighth Kentucky infantry, who were paroled and sent northward at once. He then moved to the tunnel between Gallatin and Franklin, captured the stockade without a fight, and so effectually destroyed the tunnel, 800 feet long, by burning in it a long train loaded with bacon and other supplies, that it could not be repaired for several months. He then destroyed a bridge between Gallatin and Nashville, and forty cars, and withdrew to Hartsville, thirteen miles east of Gallatin, where he went into camp.

Pending this disaster, General Buell had as a precautionary measure sent Brig.-Gen. Richard W. Johnson, a West Pointer, and regarded as one of the best officers in the service, from McMinnville, August 11th, in the direction of Gallatin. His command consisted of about 700 cavalry, made up of detachments of the Second Indiana, Lieut.-Col. R. R. Stewart; Fifth Kentucky, Major Winfrey; Fourth Kentucky, Captain Chilson, and Seventh Pennsylvania, Colonel Wynkoop. He seems to have made slow progress, as he did not reach the vicinity of Hartsville until the 19th, when he first became aware of General Morgan's whereabouts. In the meantime the latter had moved to Gallatin, and on the 21st, General Johnson advanced from Hartsville to attack Morgan, but when six miles west of Hartsville, he met that officer bent on a similar errand. The result was most disastrous to General Johnson's command, as, after a sharp skirmish and a running fight, he was captured with about 200 of his officers and men and the remainder of his force dispersed in a disorderly flight. Reports of the Federal officers engaged are full of recrimination, one against the other, as to lack of courage and misbehavior on the field. General Johnson says, ‘I regret to report that the conduct of the officers and men as a general thing was shameful in the lowest degree, and the greater portion of those who escaped will remember that they shamefully abandoned their general on the battlefield, while if they had [112] remained like true and brave men the result of this conflict would have been quite different.’ General Morgan, in recognition of the gallantry of his command, issued the following proclamation:

Headquarters Morgan's Brigade, Hartsville, Tenn., August 22, 1862.
Soldiers: Your gallant bearing during the last two days will be not only inscribed in the history of the country, and the annals of this war, but is engraven deeply in my heart. Your zeal and devotion at the attack of the trestle work at Saundersville and of the Edgeville Junction stockade, your heroism during the two hard fights of yesterday, have placed you high on the list of those patriots who are now in arms for our Southern rights.

All communication cut off betwixt Gallatin and Nashville, a body of 300 infantry totally cut up or taken prisoners, the liberation of those kind friends arrested by our revengeful foes for no other reason than their compassionate care of our sick and wounded, would have been laurels sufficient for your brows; but soldiers, the utter annihilation of General Johnson's brigade, composed of 24 picked companies of regulars sent on purpose to take us, raises your reputation as soldiers and strikes fear into the craven hearts of your enemies. General Johnson and his staff, with 200 men taken prisoners, 64 killed and 100 wounded, attest the resistance made and bear testimony to your valor. But our victories have not been achieved without loss. We have to mourn some brave and dear comrades. Their names will remain in our breasts and their fame outlives them. They died in defense of a good cause; they died like gallant soldiers with their front to the foe.

Officers and men, your conduct makes me proud to command you. Fight always as you fought yesterday, and you are invincible.

John H. Morgan, Colonel, Commanding Cavalry.

By this time the disasters were thickening and General Buell was thoroughly aroused to a realization of the storm which was about to burst upon him, of which these were but the preliminary admonitions. The movements of Gen. Kirby Smith in East Tennessee had caused him [113] on the 16th to send General Nelson to Kentucky to take command there, and to make other important dispositions. General Forrest had meantime been active at and about Lebanon, Tenn., and was in touch with Morgan; but while the latter rested a few days to recuperate for the Kentucky campaign about to open, the former remained in Tennessee to await the advance of the infantry from Chattanooga.

Having endeavored to give a succinct narrative of the general condition of affairs in Kentucky and Tennessee and of the cavalry operations which preceded and in a sense prepared the way for the drama of which it may be said in stage parlance to have been the curtain raiser, attention will now be given to Bragg's campaign in Kentucky. [114]

1 History of Morgan's Cavalry, by Basil W. Duke, Cincinnati, 1869.

2 Col. St. Leger Grenfell was a distinguished British officer who had served in the Crimean war and in India, and having tendered his services to the Confederacy, accompanied General Morgan on this expedition as inspector on his staff. He continued with his command until the close of the war and was conspicuous at all times for his dashing gallantry in leading charges and promoting efficient organization. When the war closed, he was denied terms by the Federal government and imprisoned at Dry Tortugas. In attempting to escape in a boat he was driven to sea by a storm, and never heard of.

3 On the 21st of July, 1862, General Boyle issued the following general order:

General orders, no. 5.

Headquarters U. S. Forces in Kentucky.
The following general order is issued to be enforced by military commanders in the district of Kentucky. No person hostile in opinion to the government and desiring its overthrow will be allowed to stand for office in the district of Kentucky. The attempt of such a person to stand for office will be regarded as in itself sufficient evidence of his treasonable intent to warrant his arrest. He who desires the overthrow of the government can seek office under the government only to promote its overthrow. In seeking office he becomes an active traitor if he has never become one otherwise; and is liable both in reason and in law to be treated accordingly. All persons of this description who persist in offering themselves as candidates for office will be arrested and sent to these headquarters.

By command of Brigadier-General Boyle.

John Boyle, Captain and A. A. G.

On the preceding day, Sunday, General Boyle had issued an order requiring secessionists and suspected persons to give up such arms as they had in their possession.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Tennessee (Tennessee, United States) (12)
Edgefield (Tennessee, United States) (11)
Gallatin, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (10)
Murfreesboro (Tennessee, United States) (9)
Frankfort (Kentucky, United States) (7)
McMinnville (Tennessee, United States) (6)
Knoxville (Tennessee, United States) (6)
Paris, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (5)
Glasgow, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (5)
Louisville (Kentucky, United States) (4)
Harrodsburg (Kentucky, United States) (4)
Crab Orchard, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (4)
Bowling Green (Kentucky, United States) (4)
Versailles (Kentucky, United States) (3)
Tompkinsville (Kentucky, United States) (3)
Somerset, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (3)
Indiana (Indiana, United States) (3)
Cumberland Gap (Tennessee, United States) (3)
Altamont (Tennessee, United States) (3)
Paducah (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Munfordville (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Mackville (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Lawrenceburg (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Kingston (Tennessee, United States) (2)
Kentucky River (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Cynthiana, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Cumberland River (Kentucky, United States) (2)
Woodsonville (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Tuscumbia (Alabama, United States) (1)
Tullahoma (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Tennessee River (United States) (1)
Stanford, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Springfield, Mo. (Missouri, United States) (1)
Shelbyville, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Salt (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Salina, Saline County, Kansas (Kansas, United States) (1)
Sacramento (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Rolling Fork (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Paris, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Owensboro (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Ohio (United States) (1)
Mount Sterling, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Monticello (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Louisiana (Louisiana, United States) (1)
Livingston, Tenn. (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Lebanon Junction (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Lebanon (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Lawrenceburg (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Illinois (Illinois, United States) (1)
Huntsville (Alabama, United States) (1)
Horse Cave (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Hopkinsville, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Henderson, Ky. (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Hartsville (Tennessee, United States) (1)
Georgia (Georgia, United States) (1)
Falmouth, Va. (Virginia, United States) (1)
Dry Tortugas (Florida, United States) (1)
Donelson (Indiana, United States) (1)
Cave City (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Camp Dick Robinson (Kentucky, United States) (1)
Bowling Green, Wood County, Ohio (Ohio, United States) (1)
Alabama (Alabama, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
D. C. Buell (23)
John H. Morgan (17)
George W. Morgan (17)
N. B. Forrest (14)
John Hunt Morgan (12)
John Boyle (10)
Richard W. Johnson (7)
Braxton Bragg (5)
A. A. Hunt (4)
Halleck (4)
Nathan Bedford Forrest (4)
Basil W. Duke (4)
Frank Wolford (3)
William Nelson (3)
Albert Sidney Johnston (3)
A. Y. Johnson (3)
O. P. Hamilton (3)
R. M. Gano (3)
Wynkoop (2)
T. J. Wood (2)
Stanton (2)
Green Clay Smith (2)
St. Leger Grenfell (2)
Richard M. Gano (2)
John B. Castleman (2)
Jack Allen (2)
Felix K. Zollicoffer (1)
Yates (1)
Winfrey (1)
Joseph Wheeler (1)
John A. Wharton (1)
Thomas B. Webber (1)
Waltham (1)
Lloyd Tilghman (1)
W. J. Taylor (1)
J. E. B. Stuart (1)
R. R. Stewart (1)
C. L. Stevenson (1)
Spiller (1)
Kirby Smith (1)
Edmund Kirby Smith (1)
Rosecrans (1)
Hiram Reese (1)
John Pope (1)
Leonidas Polk (1)
G. Washington Owen (1)
Gordon E. Niles (1)
Eli H. Murray (1)
Munday (1)
J. J. Morrison (1)
James W. Moore (1)
Leonidas Metcalfe (1)
Meriwether (1)
McNairy (1)
McMillin (1)
McMillan (1)
McFarland (1)
David H. Llewellyn (1)
Livingston (1)
Abraham Lincoln (1)
W. J. Lawton (1)
Jordan (1)
Jomini (1)
James S. Jackson (1)
John Hutchinson (1)
John Hoffman (1)
J. M. Hewett (1)
J. E. Harris (1)
Hampton (1)
Oliver D. Greene (1)
Franklin (1)
Edelin (1)
Dumont (1)
T. T. Crittenden (1)
Chilson (1)
Jacob Cassell (1)
John C. Breckinridge (1)
James W. Bowles (1)
William P. Boone (1)
Albert S. Bacon (1)
Ben Anderson (1)
R. A. Alston (1)
Thomas Allen (1)
John Allen (1)
Wirt Adams (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
July 13th (2)
13th (2)
8th (2)
1869 AD (1)
August 22nd, 1862 AD (1)
July 30th, 1862 AD (1)
July 21st, 1862 AD (1)
July 9th, 1862 AD (1)
October, 1861 AD (1)
September 20th (1)
August 11th (1)
August 10th (1)
August 3rd (1)
August (1)
July 21st (1)
July 12th (1)
July 4th (1)
June 16th (1)
June (1)
May 4th (1)
May (1)
April 26th (1)
March 7th (1)
March (1)
24th (1)
23rd (1)
21st (1)
20th (1)
19th (1)
17th (1)
15th (1)
12th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: