The old Texas brigade, [from the Richmond times, September 22, 1891.]Memorial stone to their heroism erected in the Wilderness—their devotion to General Lee.
On May 6, 1864, the advanced forces of the Army of Northern Virginia confronted the army of General Grant in the ‘Wilderness of Spotsylvania’ in its grand move ‘on to Richmond.’ General Grant had two days before successfully, without opposition, crossed his army over the Rapidan at Ely's and Germanna fords and was marching towards Gordonsville. Ewell with the Second corps—Stonewall Jackson's old command—occupied the left on the Confederate front, covering the old turnpike, and in his advance was first to meet and check the enemy. His corps had been in winter quarters about Orange Courthouse, and hence was nearest to the enemy. Longstreet, with his corps, was in winter quarters about Gordonsville, and did not arrive upon the scene of impending conflict, on the Confederate right, until May 6th, when he arrived in time to give much needed relief to the troops of A. P. Hill, who had been fighting steadily during this and the day previous. The battle-line of Ewell's corps extended across the old turnpike, which was about his centre, and on which was their heaviest fighting. A. P. Hill and Longstreet's troops marched down and occupied the  Orange plank-road. The turnpike and plank-road each runs from Fredericksburg to Orange Courthouse. Palmer's old field on the turnpike and Tapp's old field on the Orange plank-road, the site of the memorial stone just erected, are about five miles apart, and were the centres of heaviest fighting in the battle of the Wilderness.
Heroism and devotion to Lee.In commemoration of their heroism and devotion to General Lee shown by the Texas brigade this stone was erected. The scene, the memory of which we would thus perpetuate, is graphically described by Rev. J. William Jones in his ‘Personal Reminiscences of General R. E. Lee.’ It was a crisis in the battle when Longstreet's corps first came upon the field, headed by the ‘Texas brigade, led by the gallant Gregg.’ ‘General Lee rode to meet them,’ and was advancing as their leader in the charge. The soldiers perceiving this shouted: ‘Go back, General Lee.’ ‘Do go back.’ ‘General Lee to the rear!’ A ragged veteran stepped from the ranks and seized his bridle-rein. The command refused to advance until their beloved chieftain had retired. Then those gallant Texans nobly rushed forward and drove the enemy from the field. Around the hallowed spot where this stone now stands are the open graves of about forty of that fearless and devoted band, who attested their love for General Lee and their country. Their remains were removed and now sleep in the Confederate cemetery of Fredericksburg. General Longstreet was soon after wounded by his own men near this spot while leading a victorious charge. Had the record of him then been ‘Dead on the Field of Glory,’ his happy fate would have been like that of ‘Wolfe falling in the arms of victory on the Heights of Abraham.’
The stone.This stone, four feet high, of massive white field-quartz, lay on the side of the old turnpike just on the advance battle-line and breastworks of Ewell's corps. Subjected to a ‘bapbometic fire baptism’ of battle, it became a fitting memorial tribute from the hard-fought and victorious lines of Ewell's ‘Second corps’ to her sister corps under Longstreet to now and forever stand as a battle monument above these graves of the Texas brigade.