previous next

Confederate Cavalry around Port Hudson. From the New Orleans, La., Picayune, July 30, 1905.

A thrilling story of Southern dash and valor told by an Orleanian who was one of the heroic horsemen.

At the request of some of my army comrades, I with hesitancy attempt to give to the public a brief history of the operations of the Confederate cavalry under the the command of Colonel Frank Powers, Chief Cavalry under General Frank Gardner, who commanded in Port Hudson, during that memorable siege.

It is impossible for me to write about the cavalry outside of Port Hudson without paying due regard to General Frank Gardner and the brave men under his command, who for sixty days and nights stood in the trenches suffering from hunger and thirst, with a semitropic sun beating down upon them, with sickness decimating their ranks, exposed both night and day to a terrific fire from the Federal fleet stationed in the Mississippi river above and below the fort, repelling assault after assault from the land forces of General Banks and Augur, fighting only as Confederate soldiers could fight, and holding out even after Vicksburg had surrendered to General Grant. If ever there be a future historian who is truthful and unprejudiced, it is to be hoped that General Frank Gardner, the brave defender of Port Hudson, and the gallent men under him will receive their word of praise for their devotion to the Confederate cause.

Port Hudson is located on a bend in the Mississippi river, about 150 miles above New Orleans, and twenty-five miles from Baton Rouge, at the terminus of the Clinton and Port Hudson railroad.

Shortly after the fall of New Orleans, the Confederate Government, realizing the importance of Port Hudson as a strategic point, commenced fortifying and erecting batteries there, and by January 1, 1863, these works were completed, and General Frank Gardner was placed in command. At the date of the siege he had less than 6,000 available men, infantry and artillery. In March General Banks, who had been placed in command of the Department of the Gulf, left Baton Rouge with an army of 25,000 men, and made a [84] strong demonstration against Port Hudson. Admiral Farragut, with his fleet, ascended the river, keeping in touch with the land forces, and proceeded to run the Port Hudson batteries.

I now quote from ‘Harper's History of the War:’

Farragut had to pass a line of batteries commencing below the town and extending along the bluff about three miles and a half. In the afternoon the mortars and two of the gunboats opened on the batteries. The Hartford, with the admiral on board, took the lead, with the gunboat Albatross lashed to her side. The Richmond and Genesee followed; the Monongahela with the Kineo came next, and the Mississippi brought up the rear. (Admiral Dewey, then a lieutenant, was on board of the Mississippi.) The mortars still bombarding the batteries, Admiral Farragut's ship passed without difficulty. The Richmond received a shot through her steam drum and dropped out of fire, with three of her crew killed and seven wounded. The Monongahela also dropped down the river and anchored. The Kineo, receiving a shot through her rudder post, followed their example. So accurate was the fire from the Confederate batteries that the destruction of the whole fleet was imminent. The Mississippi grounded, the officers and crew abandoning her, escaping to the shore opposite Port Hudson. The vessel soon drifted down the river and finally exploded.’

At that time Colonel Frank Powers assumed command of all the cavalry in that department, which consisted of Aiken's Ninth Tennessee Battalion, 350 men; Stockdale's Mississippi Battalion, 250 men; Gage's Louisiana Battalion, 250 men, and the Eleventh and Seventeenth Arkansas Mounted Infantry (consolidated), commanded by Colonel Griffith, numbering about 500 men, and Garland's Battalion, a total of 1,350 men at that time promiscuously armed (except the mounted infantry) with shotguns, Belgian rifles, etc. This small force contested Banks' advance as best it could, succeeding, however, in preventing parties from leaving the main column and from committing depredations on citizens on the line of march. General Banks, after making this demonstration, in connection with Farragut's fleet, returned to Baton Rouge and transferred his command to Brashear City, with the avowed purpose of reclaiming the Teche country from Confederate control. Port Hudson was thus temporarily relieved.

It was at this crisis that
[85] Griersons raid
was undertaken, under direction of General Grant. The entire Confederate force in the State bordering on the Mississippi was then being gathered together to meet the terrific blow which Grant was preparing to strike at Vicksburg. Thus the way was open for one of those bold cavalry raids for which heretofore only the Confederates had distinguished themselves; Van Dorn, Forrest and Morgan had set the example which was to be followed by Colonel Grierson, in a bold movement from LaGrange, Tennessee, through the State of Mississippi to Baton Rouge, La. The forces placed under Colonel Grierson consisted of a brigade 1,700 strong, composed of the Sixth and Seventh Illinois and second Iowa Cavalry. Colonel Grierson, after leaving LaGrange, Tenn., proceeded due south, between the New Orleans and Jackson Railroad (now the Illinois Central Railroad) and the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, until he reached Raleigh, Miss.; turning then southwest to Gallatin, Miss., and within seven miles of Natchez, and then back to the New Orleans and Jackson Railroad to Hazlehurst, down to Osyka, and from that point to Baton Rouge. The only serious opposition this column met with occurred near Columbus, Miss. Colonel Hatch, with the Iowa regiment, having been detached with instructions to destroy the Mobile Railroad at Columbus, was attacked by a small Confederate force of home guards. In this fight Colonel Hatch was seriously wounded and his commmand dispersed.

The Confederate cavalry at Port Hudson, with some mounted infantry, received marching orders on the 22d day of April, 1863, and at once moved northward for the purpose of intercepting and capturing the command of Grierson. No soldiers were never more eager to meet an enemy, and riding night and day, not a word of complaint was heard. As the command struck the New Orleans and Jackson Railroad it was expected that the enemy would be encountered at any moment. The column was only halted long enough to give the men and horses a few hours rest; and then it was ‘boots and saddles,’ and the command was away again at a swinging trot. On reaching Summit, Miss., scouts reported that Grierson had headed for Natchez. The command then headed in a northwestwardly direction, and crossed the Homochitto river at Davis' Plantation on the Woodville and Natchez road. As this river was up, and the facilities for crossing very poor, the command [86] was delayed several hours, thus giving Grierson time to double on his course, return to the railroad at Hazlehurst, and thence down to Bogue Chitto and then to Baton Rouge.

On the 23d of May, 1863, General Banks crossed the Mississippi River opposite Bayou Sara, with an army of 25,000 men, and the next day Port Hudson was besieged on the North, while General C. C. Augur's Division of 5,000, augmented by Grierson's cavalry brigade of 1,600 men from Baton Rouge, invested it on the south.

On the evening of May 23rd Stockdale's Battalion proceeded down the plank road towards Baton Rouge to reconnoiter, and three miles below Plains Store came in touch with Grierson's cavalry; a sharp cavalry fight ensued. The enemy, bringing on a section of artillery, forced Stockdale to fall back to Plains Store, where he remained until daybreak, keeping the enemy under surveillance. Colonel Powers joined Stockdale, and at once ordered all the cavalry at his command to at once assemble at Plains Store, and a line of battle was formed across the plank road, two six-pound howitzers being placed on this road. Colonel Stockdale, with part of Hoover's company, proceeded down the road to reconnoiter. When the Federal advance guard was met, Stockdale at once engaged the enemy, when he was almost entirely surrounded, being compelled to cut his way out, but not before losing several men. Grierson, having deployed his brigade, made an advance on the Confederate line. A sharp engagement ensued. The two howitzers were well handled, and the enemy, believing that a strong force was in their front, retired. Later in the day their cavalry made another advance, supported by infantry, and Powers was gradually forced back, but having called for reinforcements General Gardner sent out of Port Hudson Miles' Legion, 750 strong, and Boone's battery. Gen. Miles soon deployed his men, and Boone, having placed in position his guns, a spirited engagement ensued, Boore driving Grierson back upon the infantry line of battle, while General Miles held in check the enemy's infantry until nightfall. Powers dismounted most of his cavalry and fought as infantry. As night was approachiug General Miles, after removing his dead and wounded, retired within the line of entrenchments. [87]

General Augur admitted
that he had three brigades—Weitzel's, Grover's and Dwight's—engaged in this action, and yet, when night closed in, Powers' cavalry were still in line near Plains Store. On the morning of May 25th, Col. Powers succeeded in placing his command outside the cotton that was then encircling Port Hudson, Banks and Augur, commanding the two investing armies, joined hands and Port Hudson was then isolated. The Ninth Tennessee Battalion did not participate in this action, having been ordered a few days before to Jackson. Colonel Powers then established his headquarters at Freeman's plantation, on the Clinton and Port Hudson road, keeping strong scouting parties in front to watch Grierson and the movements of the enemy. From this time on, to the fall of Port Hudson, Powers kept his cavalry in constant motion. The latter part of May scouts reported that the enemy was advancing with a large train of wagons and were then between Clinton and Port Hudson. Colonel Powers at once placed his command in motion, and ascertaining that it was a foraging expedition under a cavalry escort, about 400 strong, drew up his command at the edge of a forest, and having brought out one mountain howitzer with his command, had it masked, and then awaited the coming of the enemy, who leisurely proceeded along the road, not anticipating the presence of an enemy, until a shell from the howitzer exploded over their heads and the Rebel yell greeted their ears as Powers charged them. So completely dumfounded were the enemy that they hardly fired a shot, turning and driving spurs to their horses, fled for dear life, leaving forty new army wagons with four mules each standing in the road.

The enemy were pursued for several miles, many being killed and captured. The wagons were then brought back with the prisoners to Freeman's, and next day, under a guard, sent to Johnson's Army at Jackson, Miss. May 2, 1863, a courier from the front rode up to Colonel Power's headquarters and imparted to him news of great importance. Shortly thereafter, Major Stockade ordered his battalion to make preparations for a forced march. At 4 o'clock p. m., the command fell in and proceeded in the direction of Port Hudson. As night approached the command turned into a plantation road, and from this road into the woods, where the command proceeded in single file to ride on in silence, the men having been enjoined to make no noise. Just before daybreak a halt was [88] made, after the column had debouched into a public road. Colonels Powers and Stockdale then rode down the line and gave instructions for every man to examine his arms and see that guns were freshly capped; that the command would move by fours, the ranks to be kept closed, and the men to strictly obey every order of their officers. Lieutenant Dan Williams, of Hoover's company, a penniless soldier, had command of the advance guard, with instructions to capture the videttes and pickets; the battalion being just behind, ready to charge the moment the first shot was fired by the enemy. Shortly after the battalion moved down the main road, Lieutenant Williams returned with a prisoner, a young Swede, who could only speak a few words of broken English. From him Colonels Powers and Stockdale learned that the Fourteenth New York Metropolitan Cavalry Regiment was in camp about one-half mile further on; that it was a full regiment, numbering over 800 men, all foreigners, none of them having been in the United States three months, and they had just reached Banks' Army from New Orleans three days before. Stockdale's Mississippi battalion numbered 250 man, yet Powers and Stockdale determined to make a supreme effort and annihilate this Federal regiment. Lieutenant Williams succeeded just at dawn of day to capture the outer videttes: the command then closed up, and, as the inner outpost was reached, broke into a trot, and as the Federals fired broke into a gallop and reached the Federal encampment at the same moment with the guard. The enemy's tents were pitched to the right and left of the road bordering the woods; the colonel's and other staff officers' quarters being at the far end of the encampment, on a slight elevation. The enemy were
taken completely by surprise;
many of the men were still sleeping—no time was given them to get their arms and make a stand, even if they had any such inclination. Stockdale's men swept through this camp like a hurricane, firing into the tents, right and left, and yelling at the same time like demons. These Swedes were so demoralized and panic-stricken that they practically offered no resistance, throwing themselves face downward on the ground, many on their knees, begging for quarter or praying in a foreign tongue to be spared.

The prisoners were hurriedly got together, disarmed and dismounted, and sent under a guard of 150 men back to the Confederate [89] lines. The prisoners, through an interpreter, were given to understand that any attempt to resist or escape would meet with death. Colonels Powers and Stockdale, with the remainder of the battalion, remained in the enemy's camp to gather up all wagons, arms supplies, etc., and to destroy the tents. All of which was done. As we were about to leave the camp, Grierson's Cavalry, which was encamped three miles away, appeared in line, with skirmishers thrown out in advance. Colonel Powers having accomplished his object, retraced his steps back to Freeman's. Grierson did not follow.

This brilliant affair resulted in the total destruction of an entire cavalry regiment, the taking of 700 prisoners, including the Lieutenant Colonel and Major, the capture of 1,600 new army pistols with large quantities of ammunition, 800 cavalry sabers, as many Mc-Clellan saddles, and other accoutrements, a large quantity of quartermaster and commissary stores; eight wagons with mules, two fully equipped ambulances and other property. Captain James M. Ferguson, Adjutant of the battalion (now a resident of New Orleans) was among the first to reach the enemy, and after the fight to collect and set the men to work gathering up the arms, etc. Captain Ferguson filled one of the ambulances, hitched it up, and, with the enemy's battle flag in hand drove out of the camp as the Confederates were abandoning it. The entire battalion was then armed with army pistols and sabers. All other saddles having been discarded for the new McClellan trees. Enough horses were captured to mount Colonel Griffith's Arkansas troops, and to furnish mounts to many new recruits and other dismounted men.

On the 27th day of May, General Banks made a terrific assault on the works at Port Hudson with his entire land forces. A heavy bombardment preceded the attack. The river batteries, in the meantime, were engaged by Farragut's fleet, stationed above and below the fort. The Confederates awaited the advance of the Federals, who moved forward in two lines of battle. In this engagement, for the first time, negro troops fought during the war, two regiments of negroes being placed in the first line of battle. In front of the Confederate breastworks sharp pointed stakes had been firmly driven down to within a foot of the ground, and an abattis formed of fallen trees. The Confederates permitted the Federals to work their way well forward and get within sixty yards of the breastworks, [90] when a murderous fire burst forth from the Confederate line. The artillery having been double-shotted with grape and canister did deadly execution, and the first line was hurled back in disorder upon the second line, which, in turn, advanced, and in turn was swept from the field. One more effort was made through the day to storm the intrenchments, a remnant of which only succeeded in escaping back to the woods. General Banks admitted that his losses in those three charges amounted to 1,842 killed and wounded.

Colonel Powers' cavalry had the evening previous marched within a mile of Banks' line and during the engagement made a feint in his rear, expecting to draw off a portion of the infantry forces and thus create a diversion in favor of the besieged. This was but one of the many assaults made by Banks on Port Hudson. During that siege his total losses as per war record reports, amounted to 4,600, while General Gardner reported his losses during the entire siege at 610 men.

Colonel Powers having learned that Banks' military stores were established at a depot at Springfield Landing, on the banks of the Mississippi River, a few miles below Port Hudson, determined at all hazard, to destroy them, and to this end, about June the 12th, with his entire force, except a sufficient number left to perform scout duty and to guard the baggage trains, set out on this expedition. A forced march was made, the command following plantation roads, the better to avoid observation. On reaching the Baton Rouge plank road, scouts were sent above and below, who, returning, reported no signs of any Federal force, when the command under cover of night proceeded towards the landing. Every other man had been supplied with a bottle of turpentine, and all had matches to ignite the inflammable liquid. The order was given to charge, and the men dashed boldly in among the
surprised and Startled enemy,
which consisted of a regiment of infantry, whose duty it was to guard the stores. These men little dreamed of an enemy being near, and, consequently, were taken unawares. Advantage was taken of the confusion into which the enemy had been thrown, and soon the great piles of freight, barrels and boxes and bales of quartermaster and commissary stores were in flames. The scene was wild, weird and picturesque; the light illuminated the darkness [91] until a hundred or more heaps were roaring and seething in flames. Great jets spouted up into the midnight heavens, immense sparks shot out from these bonfires, as from the craters of volcanoes. Weird illuminations played fantastic tricks in the foliage above. Amid the roar of the ever-increasing fires could be heard the ‘Rebel yell’ and the commands of the officers. In the glare of the flames men and horses took unnatural shapes, as they dashed to and fro, back and forth under an intense excitement, adding still more to the demon-like scene.

A gunboat stationed in front of the landing turned her guns loose, but being so close into shore her shots did no harm. The infantry, however, had been rallied, and, taking advantage of the firelight, opened fire upon the Confederates, emptying a number of saddles. This fire was returned by Powers' men; all formation was lost in the melee, and the officers ordered the men to retire and fight their way out. On reaching the plankroad, all companies reformed, and a retrograde movement ensued. This was considered a brilliant affair, and one attended with great danger, as it was a night attack, clearly within the enemy's lines and against superior numbers, with the prospect of having Grierson's cavalry come in the rear, and thus cut off our only means of retreat. A million dollars worth of supplies intended for Banks' army were destroyed.

The writer witnessed at Johnsonville, on the Tennessee river, in November, 1864, such another sight, when General Forrest destroyed Sherman's military supplies, together with several gunboats and many transports—a conflagration once seen never to be forgotten or effaced from the human mind. So strenuous had been these daring raids and attacks by the Confederate cavalry on the enemy, that General Banks at last concluded to take active measures to destroy or drive from his flank and rear the forces under Colonel Powers; and, to that end, placed all the Federal cavalry with a six-gun battery under the charge of General Grierson, numbering 1,800 men. And with this force, in the latter part of June, 1863, Grierson proceeded to hunt up his enemy. At this time General John L. Logan had assumed command of the Confederate cavalry, which was then encamped at Clinton, La. Colonel Powers still retained his office of Chief of Cavalry, and had equal powers in directing the movements of his command. General Grierson moved slowly and [92] with great caution on the Clinton and Port Hudson road, and succeeded in capturing a scouting party and the picket posts as far as the bridge over the Amite river, which skirts the town of Clinton. About 2 o'clock in the day, Stockdale's Battalion was ordered to make a reconnoissance in the direction of Port Hudson, and, moving from camp, halted at the Amite river to water the horses. While at the bridge the command was fired upon. The enemy's advance guard, under Colonel Prince, of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, had formed across the road, about one hundred yards distant. Major Stockdale could not for the moment believe that it was the eeemy. The writer, Who had been in Grierson's lines under a flag of truce, commanded by Lieutenant Dan Williams, now a resident of Mississippi City, recognized Colonel Prince's horse, a large sorrel with white spots, plainly, and at once informed Lieutenant Williams, who was at the head of Hoover's Company, that it was Colonel Prince, of Grierson's Cavalry. The firing now became general. Major Stockdale turned to the writer, who was in the first four, and gave orders to at once tell Logan and Powers that
Grierson was at the Bridge.’

Proceeding with all haste, this courier found General Logan, Colonels Powers and Griffith amusing themselves at a game of cards. When they were informed of the enemy being so near, the writer was then ordered to ride through the camps and order every man to fall in, which he did.

The officer in command of the battery hurriedly limbered up and got his battery to the front. Colonel Griffith ordered his Arkansas infantry to fall in on foot, and make a rush for the bridge, which Stockdale was still holding. Gage's and Garland's battalions were soon in the saddle and away to the bridge, where the roll of musketry and cracking of carbines gave assurance that the enemy would be held in check. The battery, at a run, wheeled and took up position on the right side of the road and opened fire; one of the guns burst and killed three men and wounded several. The writer hastened down to the bridge, proud of the good work he had performed, when he met Henry Stuart, one of the most gallant gentlemen who ever espoused the Confederate cause, attempting to get to some place where he could get medical attention, having been seriously wounded, and ready to fall fainting from his horse, from loss of blood. [93] The writer assisted his wounded comrade back to the surburbs, and having stanched his wound, he had the good people of the house to promise to care for him, and then returned to his command.

As soon as Stockdale found that he had the support of Griffith, with the mounted infantry, he charged the head of Grierson's column and drove it back. Griffith deployed the Eleventh and Seventeenth (consolidated) Arkansas regiment and pushed through the woods, attacking vigorously the Federals, who had also dismounted and were fighting on foot. These ‘Rackensacks,’ as Griffith loved to call his men, sustained their splendid reputation as fighters, driving the enemy before them. Colonel Powers, taking Gage's Louisiana Battalion, and Garland's command, made a detour and struck Grierson's rear and left flank, causing a complete rout, the left falling back in confusion and disorder, causing the center to waver and give back; Stockdale at once taking advantage of this confusion in the enemy's ranks, charged down the road, while Griffifth's infantry pushed forward through the dense woods, completely routing the enemy, who was then thrown into greater confusion by Powers pouring in an enfilading fire on the left of Grierson's line. Grierson fled from the field, leaving his dead and wounded behind. The Confederates followed, but night coming on, abandoned the pursuit.

The loss to the Confederates was considerable, both in killed and wounded, owing to the fighting being at close quarters. The enemy's losses were still greater.

After Grierson's defeat at Clinton the cavalry had but little to do outside of scouting and reconnoitering close into the Federal lines, but at no time did General Banks deem it advisable to send out another expedition against that small cavalry brigade that besieged him while he was besieging Port Hudson.

About this time there was planned at Colonel Power's headquarters, by Captain McKowen, who commanded a company of scouts, an expedition for fearlessness and recklessness almost without a parallel. Captain McKowen knew not what fear was, and after obtaining permission from Colonel Powers, proceeded to at once carry out his project, which was to capture Major General Neal Dow, of the Federal Army, commanding a division in front of Port Hudson. It may be remembered that while Lee and Jackson were confronting Meade's Army in Virginia, a desperate effort was made by a [94] cavalry division, under command of Colonel Ulric Dahlgren, to force its way into Richmond, with instructions ‘to destroy and burn the hateful city, and not allow the rebel leader, Davis, and his traitorous crew to escape.’ Once in the city, it must be destroyed and Davis and his cabinet killed. Dahlgren was killed and his force routed, and these orders were found on his body. The Washington government then threatened to execute a number of Confederate officers in retaliation ‘for the killing of Dahlgren and heaping indignities upon his dead body.’ Confederate States government retorted that the Confederate government would then hang ten officers for every man thus executed by the Federals. A major general of the United States Army was wanted by the Confederacy, and hence Captain McKowen undertook to supply the want. Taking with him a few trusted comrades, who, like himself, knew every foot of ground in that section of country, he made his way in the night time within the Federal lines, and after many hairbreadth escapes, located General Dow's tent, which was stealthily approached, the sentinels being secured without noise, and
General Dow captured.
The escape was miraculous, for McKowen had penetrated far within the Federal lines, and only succeeded in making his escape by using the greatest precaution. General Neal Dow was safely brought to camp, and next day, under an escort, sent to Richmond, Va.

Be it said to the credit of both governments that retaliatory measures at no stage of the war were resorted to.

It was on the 6th day of July, 1863, that the news of the fall of Vicksburg reached Port Hudson. The gun-boats on the river announced their victory by firing a tremendous salute, which was reechoed from their land batteries, while the Federal infantry, who had worked their way close to the breastworks, shouted the news across the lines. On the 7th of July, General Gardner communicated with General Banks, asking for official assurance of the news. If Vicksburg had really been surrendered, he asked for a cessation of hostilities, with the view of arranging terms for the capitulation of Port Hudson,

On July 8th, the Confederate flag was lowered and the enemy entered Port Hudson.

General Gardner could not have held out much longer. His ammunition [95] for small arms was almost gone, only twenty rounds remaining to each man, and the garrison was on the verge of starvation. The corn mill had been destroyed and 2,000 bushels of corn burned with it; no meat was left, and nearly all the mules had been killed to satisfy the demand; only fifteen serviceable guns remained on the land defenses, the others having been disabled by the enfilading fire from the gunboats, whose firing was incessant, both day and night. The hospitals were full of the sick, and the men in the trenches were so exhausted and enfeebled that they were unfit for action.

With the fall of Port Hudson, all the Confederate cavalry were ordered to Crystal Springs, Miss. En route to that point, a courier reached camp and communicated the news to Colonel Powers that the Federals had located a camp of instruction at Jackson, La., and were recruiting a negro regiment. Colonel Powers at once retraced his steps, and by forced marches reached Thompson's creek, a few miles from Jackson, about July 25.

Gage's and Stockdale's Battalions were sent around on the Port Hudson road to cut off the enemy's retreat, while Powers, with Colonel Griffith's mounted infantry, dashed into Jackson, and, although the Federals were taken by surprise, they formed and fired a deadly volley into the advancing Confederates. Adjutant Davis, a handsome young officer, of great promise, brave and fearless, was killed at the side of Colonel Powers, in front of his ancestral home. The enemy fled to Centenary College, and, from the windows, fired into the Confederate column and were only dislodged when the mountain howitzer was brought into action and exploded a number of shells in the building, when the enemy surrendered. The negroes in camp broke and ran, but not before a large number had been killed, while the military ardor of those that escaped was cooled.

Reaching Crystal Springs, Stockdale's Battalion was merged with that of Colonel Wilbourne, and from that time was known as the Fourth Mississippi Cavalry, Stockdale becoming lieutenant-colonel.

Gage's Battalion, with Garland's and some detached companies, were merged into a regiment and designated as the Fourteenth Confederate Regiment, Colonel Dumonteil commanding, with John B. Gage lieutenant-colonel. Afterwards these two regiments were [96] attached to Mabry's Brigade and formed part of Forrest's Cavalry Corps. Colonel Powers' and Colonel Griffith's Regiments were assigned to duty in east Louisiana and southwestern Mississippi. Colonel Gage was killed and Colonel Stockdale seriously wounded, as was Captain James M. Ferguson, adjutant, at Harrisburg, Miss.; where many of the best and bravest of the old commands gave up their lives.

The memory of their proud deeds cannot die,
They may go down to dust in bloody shrouds,
And sleep in nameless grave, but, for all time,
Foundlings of Fame are our beloved lost.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: