‘For the ensuing summer term the trustees are happy to find they have been able to meet the wishes of the inhabitants of the several districts by the reappointment to every school of the former highly acceptable and competent teachers.’
These are: I. N. Sherman
, at Milk Row; Miss Abba Mead
, at Winter Hill
; Manda (Miranda
, at the Russell, and Mary W. Jeffurds
at the Gardner districts.
is allowed to keep some private scholars not exceeding six, and to receive compensation there from.
are empowered to attend to the schools outside the Neck, the same as last year.
They engage for the winter term Miles Gardner
, for the Gardner school; Elliot Valentine
, for Winter Hill
; and Joseph S. Hastings
, for the Russell district.
In September Mr. Walker
resigned at the Neck, to go to the Hawes school, South Boston
, and Amos P. Baker
was elected to succeed him. The death of Mr. Baker
was reported December 20, and Aaron D. Capen
was placed over this school.
Through Amos Tufts
and David Devens
, executors of the will of Deacon Thomas Miller
, the trustees received $100, the income of Which was to be used for the schools.
Voted that the school recess shall not exceed ten minutes; that the trustees supply Mr. Fairbanks
' school with three dozen slates; that all lady teachers in the primary schools be allowed nine afternoons in the course of the year to visit all the other primary schools; and that children may enter from the primary to the other schools at the age of seven, instead of eight, at the discretion of the teacher.
Among the bills approved is one for $40.80 to Martin Draper
He may have finished out the winter term at the Russell school, as Mr. Hastings
, January 28, requested to be discharged from the same, ‘with reasons.’
At the final examinations in April there were enrolled in the ten primary schools 1610 scholars; in the five grammar schools,
639; in the four schools without the peninsula, 280; making a total of 1,529.
The lamentable number of absences is :commented upon.
‘These absentees hang like a dead weight about the school; the course of instruction is greatly interrupted, and those who are punctual and constant are retarded in their progress.
The remedy is alone with the parents.’
The Rules and Regulations for the Government
of the Charlestown Free Schools, adopted by the Board of Trustees, and bearing the date, January 1, 1833, is of interest at this point.
After stating the age at which children may attend the primary and the grammar schools (from four to eight, and from eight to fifteen), the hours for the school session are given,—8 to 11 and 2 to 5, from April 1 to October 1; 9 to 12 and 2 to 5 during the other half year, except on short days, when the Schools
may be closed at sunset.
Instructors are to be in their rooms and to ring the bell ten minutes before the time of opening school.
After the school is opened, no scholar shall be admitted without written excuse from his parent or guardian.
Each school is divided into four classes, sub-divisions to be left to the teacher.
The holidays shall be Wednesday and Saturday afternoons; Election Day in January; Fast Day and the day after examinations in April; Monday, June 1, and June 17; July 4; in August, the time of meeting of the American Institute of Instruction and the day bf Commencement at Harvard
; the day after examinations in October; Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Day.
These rules are to, be enforced in the schools outside the Neck so far as is advisable.
This year, also, changes were made in the curriculum, and the following list was authorized and approved:—
Fourth class, primary, alphabetical charts, words of two syllables.
Third class, Introduction to the National Spelling Book
's Second Book.
Second class, Emerson
's National Spelling Book, Easy Reader, Worcester
's Second Book.
First class, the New Testament, Emerson
's National Spelling Book, the Analytical Reader
's Geography, Arithmetic Cards.
Fourth class, grammar school, the Spelling Book
, the Testament, the Analytical Reader
, Parley's First Book of Geography.
Third class, Beauties of the Bible
's Epitome of Geography, Worcester
's Third Book, Boston Atlas
Second class, Murray
's Grammar and Exercises, Walker
's Dictionary, Natural Reader, Frost
's Grammar, Field
's American Geography and Atlas
First class, the First Class Book, Young Ladies' Class Book, Walker
's Dictionary, Murray
's Grammar and Exercises, Worcester
's Geography, or Elements of History, Progressive Exercises in Composition.
Writing schools, Emerson
's Second Part, Colburn
's Sequel, Boston Writing Slips.
The following books may be used by the consent of the teachers and trustees: Blake
's Astronomy, Grund
's Natural Philosophy, Woodbridge
's History of the United States
, Parley's First Book of History, Worcester
's Sequel to the Spelling Book
, The Academical (Boys') Speaker, Grund
's Geometry, Bookkeeping.
's Political Class Book is to be put in the schools for reference.
It was voted early this season to retain the services of Mr. Sherman
at No. 5, at the salary of $360, and to pay the teacher at the Neck $600. Miss Kezia Russell
was appointed to teach the summer term in the Russell district, and Miss Abby Mead
at Winter Hill
For the winter term the appointments were: Aaron B. Magoun
to the Winter Hill school for six months, beginning the first Monday in November, at $32 per month; and H. K. Curtis
for the Russell district, four months, at $30. The care of the outside schools was assigned to Messrs. Adams
for the trustees.
At a special meeting held June 20, 1833, it was voted that teachers of the public schools be requested to parade their scholars on the day of the reception of the President
of the United States
, under the direction of the chief marshal
agreeably to the request of the committee of arrangements, and that the schools have a vacation during that day—June 24.
The petition of John Tufts
and others praying for a removal of the schoolhouse in Milk Row was referred to Messrs. Willard
, and (later) Hawkins
This seems to be the first move on record looking to the establishment of the Prospect Hill school on Medford street. ‘Voted that teachers receive no scholar into school after twenty minutes past the hour for commencing school.’
The only reference to teachers within the peninsula this year was November 8, 1833, when James Swan
was elected writing master at the Training Field school, Reuben Swan, Jr.
, writing master in the Town Hill school, and O. C. Felton
as master of the school at the Neck.
As the last-named did not accept, William D. Swan
was put in charge of this school.
All three teachers received a salary of $650, which was raised to $700 later on. About the time which we are considering, the school for girls, which had been at the Training Field
, was transferred to the Town Hill
side, and the boys' school at the latter place now occupied the newer and more commodious building at the Training Field
I find no mention of this change previous to the spring of 1834, but it may have been earlier than that.
December 30 it is voted that the seats in the primary schools are to have convenient backs added to them, but that the seats in the upper schools remain unaltered.
March 31, 1834, a petition that James Swan
be discharged from his school, signed by Bradbury Follet
and others, was received and placed on file.
From the annual report read in town meeting that May, we learn that the average number of pupils in the ten primary grades is seventy to a teacher; that the Female school
, now on Town Hill
, with two male teachers, contains 240 pupils; that the Male school
at the Training Field
, with two teachers, contains 247; and the Neck school, with one master, 116.
In the schools outside the peninsula there are 75, 127, 41, and 35, respectively.
The teachers for the summer term this year were as follows: Miss Abby Mead
, re-elected to the Winter Hill
; Miss Ann
, of the Milk Row district (later on a teacher in one of the primary schools); Miss Martha T. McKoun
for the Russell school; and Miss Sarah M. Crowninshield
for the Gardner school.
It was voted in May to make repairs at Milk Row school.
These were all the more needed, for, June 30, we read: ‘It having been represented by Mr. C. Thompson
that the windows in the schoolhouse there have been very badly broken, it was voted that the committee in charge get evidence and act as they think proper.’
Bills for work at the Milk Row schoolhouse
were approved, among them being Isaac Kendall
's for $12.44, and John W. Mulliken
's for $97.41.
, following as she did a popular teacher like Mr. Sherman
, seems to, have had a hard school to manage.
A petition signed by Alfred Allen
and others was circulated for her removal, but the trustees voted to sustain the teacher.
‘They feel bound to say that their confidence in the talents, deportment, and qualifications of Miss Locke
They recommend that she continue in the school and be encouraged in the arduous duties assigned her.’
(Signed by Joseph T. Tufts
and Charles Thompson
.) We read of no further trouble, and her school was examined in its turn, October 24, at 9 o'clock. The winter schools outside the Neck were assigned as follows: At Milk Row to Luther (should be Calvin) Farrar
; at Winter Hill
to A. B. Magoun
; at the Russell district to Henry I. Jewett
; at the Gardner school to William E. Faulkner
As Mr. Magoun
did not accept, Henry Bulfinch
, who signed the annual report, says: ‘It would be unjust to; withhold an expression of the belief that the three high schools within the Neck, under the care of five masters, have reached a standing not before attained by them.’
These five teachers were Joshua Bates
(salary, $800) and James Swan
($700) at the Training Field school; Nathan Merrill
($700) and Reuben Swan, Jr.
($700), at the Town Hill
, or Female, school; William D. Swan
($700) at the Neck School.
We are able to name the teachers who served in the ten primary schools this year, at a maximum salary of $225. They were: A. G. Twy
cross, Susan Sawyer
, Mary Walker
, Hannah Andrews
, Hannah Rea
, Betsey Putnam
, Ann Brown
, Emeline G. White
, Elizabeth L. Johnson
, Margaret W. Locke
, Ann W. Locke
, Eliza (Ann?) Cutter, Lydia A. Skilton
The permanent funds of the trustees of Charlestown
schools in 1834 were:—
|35 shares of Union bank stock||$3,500|
|Town note on interest||1,200|
|Deacon Miller's legacy||100|
|Two primary schools, valued at||600|
The teachers for the summer schools beyond the peninsula were Miss Ann E. Whipple
for Milk Row, Miss Abby Mead
for Winter Hill
, Miss Kezia Russell
for the Russell, and Miss Anna B. Mead
for the Gardner.
These schools were assigned to the charge of Messrs. Hazeltine
for the trustees.
Among bills approved was that of A. W. Whittredge
for $52.50. The winter terms were to be taught by Norwood Damon
at the Russell, Edward Wyman
at Winter Hill
, Timothy P. Rogers
at the Gardner, and Miss Ann Whipple
was appointed for the Milk Row school, at the same compensation as was given last winter to a male teacher.
In the annual report Miss Whipple
was highly commended.
As Mr. Damon
resigned November 30, Mr.
was put in his place.
The primary school occupied by Ann W. Locke
, having been burned in the late conflagration (Monday, August 31, 1835?), was repaired.
It was voted April 16, 1836, to insert in the next town warrant an article to see whether the town will establish a high school agreeable to sections 5 and 7 of the twenty-third chapter of the Revised Statutes
Many changes among the teachers are reported this year, but their names are not mentioned on the records.
There were now twelve primary schools with an enrollment of 802 scholars, or nearly sixty-seven on an average for each teacher.
The Male school
had 228, the Female 211, and the Neck schools
, both male and female, 129.
At Winter Hill
, Milk Row, Russell
schools the number of pupils was 80, 116, 29, and 30, respectively, making a total of 1,625.
During the year Nathan Merrill
, of the Town Hill school, and William D. Swan
, of the Neck school, asked for more salary, and it was voted to give each $100, in addition to the $700 they then received.
The primary teachers presented a petition for more pay, stating as the cause the high rate of living and the additional quantity of fuel which has been needed in consequence of the unusual cold weather.
It was voted to give them $10 each, and to defer the subject of a greater raise to the next town meeting.
and others of Milk Row district petition that the trustees will recommend the expediency of another school, Oliver Holden
and others ‘urge the removal of the cupola and bell from the Town Hill school, as it obstructs the view of the dial on Rev. Dr. Fay
's church from the inhabitants in the north section of the town.
The boy who rings it has to go some distance.
He is consequently unable to return on time to commence his studies with the rest of his class.
It is also an interruption to the female department.’
The teachers for this summer outside the peninsula were: Miss Abby Mead
, of the Winter Hill school; Miss Ann E. Whipple
, of the Milk Row
; Miss Burnham
of the Russell; and Miss Wyman
, of the Gardner.
In accordance with the vote of the town, Messrs. Warren
were requested to look up the law relating to the establishment of high schools.
February 23, 1837, they reported in favor of such a school, and their report was presented at the next town meeting.
The formation of a new district school in Milk Row by a division of the district, as referred to the trustees by the town, was next referred to Messrs. Allen
as a special committee to consider the matter and report later.
They found, May 30, ‘that the number of scholars warrants a division of said district, commencing at a point in the Russell district, thence running easterly south of John Tufts' house to the south side of the wind mill on Prospect Hill
; thence northeast of the house
of William Bonner
, embracing in the present district the houses of Ephraim Hill and Charles Miller
; thence from said Miller
's to Cambridge line, west of Charles Wait's house.
Exertions have been made to find suitable accommodations for a school by hiring a room, but the committee has been unsuccessful.
They recommend the erection of a house to be located near the house of Edwin Munroe
, a lot of land suitable for which will be presented to the town by said Munroe
and C. Harrington
, and may be erected for $500.’
, and Thompson
are empowered to get a deed of this land and to build thereon.
Later (in November) this section of Milk Row received the name of the Prospect Hill district, and $600 was appropriated for the building.
The committee in charge of this school were instructed not to allow the children of John Runey
to remain at the school unless he consents to be set off from Winter Hill
to Prospect Hill district.
In regard to ‘a petition of the teachers within the Neck for a vacation of the first week in June, as Boston
teachers have, it was voted inexpedient.’
The teachers for the winter term outside the peninsula were: W. S. Wiley
, of the Gardner school; Levi Russell
, of the Russell school: David Curtis
, of the Winter Hill
; Joel Pierce
, of the Milk Row
; and Norwood P. Damon
, of the Prospect Hill
The three last-named received $35 per month.
Evidently the new school did not start under the most favorable auspices.
The teacher was requested to vacate on the last day of March, and Levi Russell
, who had finished his own school, was hired to finish out the term at Prospect Hill
The last weeks of the winter term at Winter Hill school were taught by Miss Abby Mead
, who received $17.50 therefor.
She respectfully declined her appointment to the school for the next summer.
January 30, 1837, Dr. Valentine
is authorized to visit the schools and see that all children are vaccinated.
He is to present his bill for payment when parents are unable to pay. This vote was passed in consequence of finding that a large number of scholars had never been vaccinated.
It was also voted that no children should be admitted into any free school of Charlestown
without vaccination certificates, and that no unvaccinated child should be allowed to remain in school after February 13, 1837.
From the annual report, read at the May town meeting, we learn that an average of eleven per cent., or over 200 scholars, have been absent from school the past year.
‘This is the cause of moist of the corporal punishment which is inflicted in the schools, as those absent acquire habits which are altogether incompatible with order and discipline.’
The whole number of scholars on the rolls is 1,781, of whom 294 are in the five districts without the peninsula.
The cupola has been removed from the schoolhouse on Town Hill
, and a new one erected on the school at the Training Field
‘This year assistant teachers have been appointed in all the grammar schools.
This will enable the masters to dispense altogether with monitors, and to see that the younger members of the school receive a proper share of attention.’
was one of these assistants.
Her services at the Neck school began April 17, 1837.) In conclusion, the report says that evidently another school must be established and a building erected.
Such improvements can be made for $2,600, and it is so recommended.
(Signed) Charles Thompson
, president; Thomas Brown, Jr.
The summer schools beyond the Neck, for this season, were under the following instructors: Miss Ann P. Whipple
, of the Prospect Hill school; Rachel T. Stevens
, of the Milk Row school; Miss Marv B. Gardner
, of the Russell school;, Miss Irene S. Locke
of the Gardner school; and Miss Sarah M. Burnham
, of the Winter Hill school.
Teachers in these schools were informed, through Mr. Underwood
, that they were to teach on Wednesday afternoons as heretofore.
It seems that a petition had been circulated in favor of the half-holiday, but the parents objected to it. The compensation for keeping fires and sweeping at Milk Row, Prospect Hill
, and Winter Hill
was fixed at twenty cents per week.
This year, 1837, we have the first mention of an annual vacation, to begin August 17 and to continue to September 1.
this time the trustees voted to consider the advisability of discarding the New Testament as a reading book for the second class in the primary grades.
Voted that teachers be allowed to sell books and stationery to their scholars.
were authorized to examine Miss E. H. Dodge
, one of the primary teachers, to see how often she had dismissed without leave and how often she had left her school in charge of another person.
A change at her school was found necessary.
The teachers of the winter schools in the outside districts were: Levi Russell
at Prospect Hill
; Wymond Bradley
at Winter Hill
; Oliver March
at Milk Row; G. A. Parker
at the Gardner; and George P. Worcester
at the Russell.
As Mr. Parker
fell sick, his term was completed by Rachel T. Stevens
The schools were examined ‘and gave general satisfaction.’
From the annual report we learn that there are now fourteen primary schools on the peninsula, with 957 pupils, or an average of seventy each.
In the three grammar schools there are 830 pupils, and in the five schools beyond the Neck, 276, making a total of 2,063. ‘The increase is due to the fact that the Irish have given up their own separate establishment and are now sending their children to the public school.’
Then, again, the schools of Charlestown
are open to all between the ages of four and sixteen, for which there is no statute, the universal custom being to the age of fifteen.
‘The board has made a great effort this year to procure the abolishment of corporal punishment, and requested teachers to keep an account of such punishment, and to give detailed information in each instance to one of the trustees.
In the female grammar school punishment has been wholly abandoned, and in all the resort to it has been far less frequent than formerly.
The large boys have of their own accord formed themselves into societies for the prevention of profanity among themselves, and for mutual moral improvement.
Many parents have aided them in collecting a library of well-selected books for their use. The exercise of singing has been pretty generally introduced into the schools, and to good advantage.
The teachers willing to devote
an extra portion of time for the purpose of giving instruction in this exercise is one of the proofs of their enthusiastic devotion.’
The report closes with a reference to the State Board of Education that has been lately established.
An appropriation of $10,000 is asked for. $9,962 will be needed next year for teachers' salaries, against $9,415 of this year.
‘A sense of duty compels us to ask an appropriation of $200 for the repair of the schoolhouse in the Russell district.
The building has not been repaired since its erection: the seats and benches are in bad condition, and the whole interior needs refitting.’
The teachers of the district schools this season were: Mary W. J. Evans
, of the Gardner; Clara D. Whittemore
, of the Russell; Sarah M. Burnham
, of Milk Row; Elizabeth P. Whittredge
, of Prospect Hill
; and Abby Mead
, of Winter Hill road. May 9 Mr. Forster
was authorized to procure a teacher until Miss Mead
is able to take charge.
Miss Ellen A. Damon
was elected to this position June 11.
These schools were assigned to the care of Messrs. Allen
for the trustees.
They gave permission to children contiguous to the Neck who wished to attend the Neck school.
It was they who had charge of the repairs made during the summer at the Russell school. ‘It was voted that the summer vacations this year be the first week in June and the last two weeks in August, and that the district schools be allowed a vacation every Wednesday afternoon during the summer.’
Voted that the form of Register received from the secretary of the Board of Education be adopted, and that the teachers begin with it the first of June, 1838.
Voted that the board attend the convention at Lowell
Monday, July 27, ‘and that teachers of the grammar schools be invited to attend with us.’
Voted that a male teacher be elected for Winter Hill
, to begin September 1, and continue until May 1.
received the appointment.
Amos F. Allen
was elected to the Prospect Hill school, Levi (should be Philemon
to the Russell school, William R. Bagnall
to Gardner Row, and Joel Pierce
to the Milk Row school.
November 15, 1838, an attempt was made to arrange the boundaries between the Bunker Hill
and Winter Hill
This is the first time I find mention of a Bunker Hill district. March 18, 1839, the trustees passed a vote that the Neck school hereafter be called the Bunker Hill school.
A month before this, December 11, Benjamin F. Tweed
was chosen to succeed William D. Swan
at this school.
A petition from Charles Adams
and others residing on the top of Winter Hill
for establishing a primary school there, and requesting the board to present the same to the town in their annual report, was presented by Mr. Forster
. Mr. Allen
presented a report of the examination of the Winter Hill school, which was ordered to be placed on file.
A petition from Clark Bennett
and William Bonner
to have the lines of the Prospect Hill school more properly defined, was presented and referred to the whole board.
The annual report for this year is very satisfactory in that it gives us much information.
The schools are taken up individually beginning with the Gardner district. ‘This school is about seven miles from the Town House
, and is contiguous to the western part of Woburn
, being a little less than three miles from Woburn
To reach it the road leads through the middle of West Cambridge
, turning to the right as you go by the meeting house of that place.
There are about fifteen or twenty families in the district.
During the summer this school was under the charge of Mrs. Evans
The average attendance was seventeen out of a total of nineteen.
The teacher had classes in geometry, algebra, and natural philosophy, nor were the common branches neglected.
Also, there was instruction in the rudiments of music.
The winter term was under William R. Bagnall
, with an average of twenty out of twenty-four.’
‘The Russell district verges upon the town of West Cambridge
, the schoolhouse being about one-half mile from that meeting house.
During the summer this school was under Miss Clara Whittemore
Whole number, twenty-four; average attendance, eighteen, mostly small children.
She had brought the school from a state of confusion to one of discipline.
the winter Phila Russell
Whole number, thirty-seven; average, thirty.
His efforts and skill are worthy of the highest commendation.
He insisted upon the thoroughness of all his pupils.
His uniform practice is, if a pupil makes a blunder in recitation, he is compelled afterwards to repeat that part of his answer correctly,—as a word going around the class must be spelled correctly by each one who has failed, no matter how much time it takes.
The schoolhouse here has been much improved by alterations made in pursuance of the recommendation in the last report.
These two schools cost the town more than any others in town, in proportion to the number of scholars; in consequence of the change in teachers, probably they receive the least benefit of any.’
The wish is expressed that the Gardner district might unite with Woburn
, and the Russell with West Cambridge
‘The Milk Row school is adjacent to the town of Cambridge
Last summer it was under Miss Burnham
, with seventy scholars enrolled, and an average attendance of fifty.
This shows a culpable degree of absences.
The committee spoke in high terms of the school while under this lady.
During the winter the school was under Joel Pierce
, with an average of sixty out of eighty scholars.
He is an experienced, thorough teacher, very precise in his regulations and mode of teaching.’
‘The Prospect Hill school was erected three years ago to accommodate the inhabitants of that part, formerly a part of Milk Row district. Miss E. P. Whittredge
was teacher last summer, and had an average of fifty out of sixty-one pupils.
This lady received the decided approbation of the board.
She was efficient and faithful.
She divided the school into six classes, thus the youngest had more attention than usually falls to their lot. Amos S. Allen
was the winter teacher, and had an average of forty-five out of a total of sixty enrolled,—a degree of irregularity wholly inconsistent with the interests of the district.
A great improvement in penmanship was noticed.
The teacher, though somewhat inexperienced, appeared competent to perform his duties and desirous of doing so.’
‘The next district is the Winter Hill
, though the schoolhouse is situated at some distance from the eminence of that
This school was more unfortunate than its neighbors.
The board had appointed for the summer term a female of high character, but sudden affliction in her family prevented her continuance.
At a late hour another lady was chosen, after the school had been closed for some weeks.
She taught one month, and after another recess a third lady was found for eight weeks. A child who attends such a school from the age of four to sixteen will have been under the plastic hand of perhaps twenty-four different teachers, or more than he has cousins or family relations.
, a graduate, next taught the school eight months. Average, thirty-one out of forty-five, and second term, thirty-three out of fifty-nine.
The first class made manifest progress, and the penmanship of the whole school was creditable.’
‘In all the above schools instruction is given in penmanship, reading, orthography, grammar, arithmetic, history, geography, and sometimes to a few in algebra, natural philosophy, and astronomy.
Some of the teachers may fail to make their pupils good readers for the obvious reason that they are not good readers themselves.
It is not surprising that these schools have been stationary for the last ten years. Therefore the board would recommend for Milk Row, Prospect Hill
, and Winter Hill
an essential alteration in their school establishment.
They ought to be placed under the same arrangement with the schools of the peninsula.
The board would change these three district schools into primary ones for the younger children, and recommend that a grammar school or high school be established in the Prospect Hill district, making four annual schools.
For this purpose it would only be necessary to raise the schoolhouse in that district so that a good schoolroom may be made in the basement story for a primary school.
This would give an average for the four schools of fifty scholars.
In the high school one master would be sufficient at present, and he should be qualified to teach in all branches of English study and in the ancient languages.
His salary need not exceed $600. The whole amount now paid to teachers in these three districts is $990; by adding $240, four permanent teachers can be procured under the new
Thus, by increasing the expense one-fourth, the greater benefit to be derived will be fourfold.
To make the Winter Hill and Milk Row
schoolhouses more fit for primary schools, some repairs and alterations will be necessary.’
Primary schools within the peninsula:—
No. 1, the school at the Neck, is kept in a building hired of T. J. Elliot
: It has been under the charge of Miss Malvina B. Skilton
over three years.
No. 2, at Eden street, in a room hired of J. K. Frothingham
, is under Miss Mary Walker
, who has been longer in this employment than any other of our teachers.
No. 3, in the vestry of the Methodist
meeting house, is kept by Miss Charlotte A. Sawyer
No. 4, in School street, kept by Miss Susan L. Sawyer
, before the end of the year (1838) had an offshoot taken from it, which was put under Miss Esther M. Hay
An examination of both was held in Boylston chapel.
This school is kept by Miss E. H. Dodge
, in the vestry of the Universalist meeting house on Warren street. (The rental of the room was $50 per year.)
No. 6 is held in a small rear room off Lawrence street, and is under Miss Betsey Putnam
No. 7 is kept by Miss E. E. Smith
, in a room on Harvard street, hired of O. Jaquith
No. 8 is in a room under No. 7, with entrance from Prescott street. Miss M. E. Chamberlin
is the teacher.
No. 9 belongs to the town, and is on Common street. The regular teacher, Miss L. A. Skilton
, was succeeded towards the end of the term by Miss M. H. Dupee
No. 10, also owned by the town, on the Training Field
, in the rear of the Winthrop school, was under Miss A. W. Chamberlin
, but now Miss Joanna S. Putnam
is in charge.
No. 11, in a room near the square, was kept by Miss Crocker
, but later by Miss Elizabeth B. Marshall
No. 12, kept by Miss Ann W. Locke
, is in the basement of Boylston chapel.
No. 13, at the Point
, in a room hired of Mr. Ferrin
, is kept by Miss Battles.
No. 14, at Moulton's Point, established in 1837, is in a new house erected by the board on a lot belonging to the town.
The teachers there have been Mrs. M. H. Dupee
and Miss Lydia W. Locke
In October, 1838, a union exhibition of the first classes of the three upper schools was held in the Town Hall
It was a great pleasure to a large audience.
Of the three high schools, the Bunker Hill
(Neck) is for both sexes.
William D. Swan
, the principal, goes to Boston
, and will be succeeded by Benjamin F. Tweed
The assistant is Miss Charlotte Cutter
The Harvard school, on Town Hill
, is for girls.
The teachers here are Paul Sweetser
and Charles Kimball
(His term of service began before May, 1837.) Assistants: Miss M. E. Jones
, Miss C. A. Johnson
, Miss Fernald
The Winthrop school at the Training Field
is for boys, the teachers being Mr. Bates
and Samuel Swan
, and for assistants, Miss Symmes
and Miss Hay
Expenses appended to the trustees' report of May, 1839:—
The bills for repairs in Russell district went beyond the appropriation.
The auditors of all bills that came before the trustees were Richard Frothingham, Jr.
, and Charles Forster
(To be continued.)