Company E, 39th Massachusetts Infantry, in the Civil War.—(Iv.)

[Diary of John H. Dusseault—Concluded.]

July 31. We turned out at 5 A. M. Another extremely hot day. I was detailed for fatigue duty. Our lines were the same as before the Ninth Corps made the attack. The Rebels would not grant a flag of truce, because, it was said, a part of the attacking corps were negroes, who, by the way, had done nobly. Finally our wounded were all brought within the lines.

August 1 and 2. Turned out at 9 A. M.; very hot weather. There are rumors of a move, but both days have been quiet ones.

August 3. Turned out at 6 A. M. I was detailed for picket at 8 P. M., and had command of the One Hundred and Fourth New York pickets.

August 4. All quiet on the skirmish line. I was relieved from picket at 8 P. M. This day was appointed as a National Fast, and a religious meeting was held in the fort. (I succumb to toothache.)

August 5. Turned out at 6 A. M. (I had five teeth filled with lead by a private in One Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania.) From 4 to 6 heavy firing.

August 6. Another quiet day.

Sunday, August 7. We had an inspection, as was usually the custom on Sundays.

August 8. Pleasant, but a very warm day.

August 9. Cloudy, with thunder, but no rain for us.

August 10. A quiet day.

August 11. I was detailed for picket at 8 P. M.

August 12. Everything was quiet on the picket line. A Rebel came into our line, who said he was from Cambridge, Mass. I sent him to the rear as a prisoner of war. He stated [2] that he was in Richmond the Sunday before. Probably he was a ‘bounty-jumper.’ I was relieved at 8 P. M.

August 13. Heavy firing on our right to-day.

August 14. Sunday inspection. A rain began at 7 P. M., which continued through the night. Rumors of a move.

August 15. We turned out at 4 A. M., and a brigade of Burnside's colored troops took our places in the fort. Our whole corps was relieved, and we went back two miles to be held in reserve.

August 16. Turned out at 6. I was detailed with sixty men to work on Fort Sedgwick. All work had to be done in the night, as no one could live there in the daytime. The Rebel Fort MacMahon was near, and their sharpshooters were nearer, and picked off men with every opportunity. We reached the fort at 10 P. M., and soon had our tools in hand. We had just begun work, when orders came to report back to the regiment at once. We arrived there at midnight, and were told that our corps was to march at 3 P. M.

Accordingly, August 17 we fell in, ready to carry out this order, but while we were waiting another order came to turn in for the night, as we were not to move until the next morning.

August 18. We turned out at 3 A. M. This was the day of the ‘Battle of Weldon Railroad,’ sometimes called that of ‘the Six-Mile House,’ or ‘the Globe Tavern.’ We began our march at 5 towards the railroad (southwest and to our left), a distance of five or six miles, to the Yellow Tavern, or Six-Mile House. Here we found the Rebel pickets, and drove them before us. General Crawford's Division, to which our regiment belonged,1 formed a line of battle on the right of the railroad, and General Ayer, of the Second Division of our corps (the Fifth), formed on the left of the railroad. General Griffin's First Division (our corps) was in the rear tearing up the tracks, as we thus advanced towards Petersburg. We had proceeded about a mile [3] and a half in dense woods, when Hill's Rebel Corps charged on us. (The Yellow house was behind us now.) Ayer's Division gave way, letting the enemy come around our left flank. There was nothing for us to do but to fall back or be captured. The Rebel line in front of us was within forty feet. The order was accordingly given to fall back. All were lying down flat on the ground at the time, the Rebels in the, same position, also, but ready to shoot as fast as we stood up. Colonel C. L. Pierson was already badly wounded in the bowels by a minie ball. He was able to stand long enough to give the command, and then fell.2 Immediately as I rose a bullet hit me in the right side. It broke the eighth rib and entered the lower lobe of the lung. I was taken off the field along with the colonel to the field hospital just back of us. Sergeant Bradshaw, afterwards second lieutenant, and Private Thomas, both of Company H, were leading me. The latter was shot in the wrist while supporting me, and tarrying a moment, in consequence was captured by the enemy. The command now devolved upon Captain F. R. Kinsley, of Company E. Our side was beaten for a time, but after being driven about one-quarter of a mile, the men re-formed and held the enemy. (See reports of the Adjutant-general for 1864, pp. 850-51.)

August 19. The fight was resumed. The Rebels found a gap on our right and came through, thus flanking us again. Our artillery opened on them as they were between us and the. artillery, and the shells did us as much harm as they did the Rebels. The men of both sides were now pretty generally mixed up in the woods. One squad, whichever was the bigger, would capture the other. This day our regiment was in the worst part of the line, and suffered more than any other, unless it was the Sixteenth Maine, which was captured almost to a man.

August 20. Both lines were rather quiet to-day, and both [4] were stationed on either side of the railroad, back a little from where we first charged the enemy. We held the railroad, and they were bound to drive us off.

Sunday, August 21. The enemy attacked us, but were repulsed, and during the rest of the war our side held the railroad.

In this battle Company E—the Somerville company—suffered severely. Captain F. R. Kinsley was captured on August 19, and the command devolved upon Captain George S. Nelson, of Company A. Including Captain Kinsley, thirteen Somerville men were captured, of whom seven died in Rebel prisons. The seven were: James M. Allen, Corporal David Gorham, Corporal Fred A. Glines, John E. Horton, George H. Hatch, Charles G. Jones, and Frank W. Thompson. David Kendrick died just after he was exchanged. Captain Kinsley was paroled. John B. Canfield, Patrick Horgan, John F. Locke, and Sergeant John Kennedy, these four, brought up in Salisbury (N. C.) prison, and were paroled in March, 1865. In this fight John S. Roberts and William M. Herbon were killed, and the following wounded: Chandler G. Cole, Dexter Gray, George R. Harlow, and Lieutenant John H. Dusseault.

By this time only seven or eight men were left in Company E out of the original one hundred and one men who enlisted from Somerville in 1862. Of course the company had been supplied from time to time with raw recruits, or with men from other regiments. May 4, when the army crossed the Rapidan, there were five hundred and thirty muskets (men) in the Thirty-ninth Regiment—as many as were in any other two regiments in their brigade. On the morning of August 22, after this battle, one hundred and one men and nine officers of this regiment reported for duty. On the nights of August 18 and 19 the wounded were sent back to the Division Hospital, two miles in our rear.

On August 21 the wounded, of whom I was one, were sent to the City Point Hospital on the James. On August 23 we turned out, and were told to get ready to go on board a boat which would take us to Fortress Monroe, where we arrived at dark, and were transferred to the Atlantic, an ocean steamer. I [5] could walk at this time, and continued to do so till September 6 or 7. On this river boat there were seventy-five wounded officers of the Fifth Corps and many private soldiers, who were lying upon the deck and about the vessel. (There were two rows of cots on each side of the deck for the men who had lost a limb or two, between two and three hundred, at least. I had a stateroom with Lieutenant Felch.) On August 24 we took in stores at the fort, and started for Philadelphia at 5 P. M. We reached Philadelphia at 7 P. M. August 25, and were taken in carriages to the Soldiers' Retreat, which was near the landing, and thence to a receiving hospital for the night. August 26 we were taken to McLellan Hospital, located in the suburbs of the city, perhaps five miles out (‘Nice town’).

September 3. I received leave of absence and started for home, via New York, where I arrived at 9 P. M., and put up at the Western House.

September 4. At 5 P. M. I started for Boston by train, Lieutenant Felch still with me. He was wounded in the shoulder. We reached Boston Monday, September 5, at 4 A. M. By September 10 my wound was troubling me severely. The bullet had been extracted an hour or two after I was wounded, but when I had my wound dressed at the hospital in New York, probably it was washed with an infected sponge, for gangrene set in, as it so often did in those days. For seven weeks I was on my back, and was reduced to one hundred and five pounds. But thanks to a kind doctor and home nursing, the wound finally closed in April, 1865, the same month that the war closed.

Account of Company E after August 21.

Practically everything was quiet till September 15. The Regiment was at Weldon Railroad all this time. Many changes of position were made, new lines of works built, and strong forts took the places of the earlier breastworks.

September 15. The Regiment, together with the rest of the Brigade, was sent to support a cavalry reconnoissance on the [6] left of the line; it returned without loss, after accomplishing the work.

September 16. The Second Brigade was assigned to garrison duty in forts on the left of the line. The Thirty-ninth Massachusetts was ordered to Fort Duchesne, on the rear line (still on the Weldon Railroad), and camped just outside the fort. This, with the 104th New York Volunteers, the Eleventh, Eighty-eighth, and Ninetieth Pennsylvania, formed the garrison, under Colonel R. Coulter, of the Eleventh Pennsylvania.

September 29. The garrison was sent out on reconnoissance over the same ground as on September 15, the Thirty-ninth acting as skirmishers. The enemy were found in force near Poplar Spring Church. After a brief skirmish, a return was ordered.

September 30. The Regiment moved from the camp outside into the fort, where it remained till October 16. It then left the rear, and took a position (still on the railroad) one-half mile in front of Duchesne, and one mile from the Globe Tavern.

October 26. The Regiment moved to the left and garrisoned Fort Conahey. The whole army made a reconnoisance in force to Hatcher's Run.

October 31. Having returned from the Run, the Regiment resumed its position in line near Fort Wadsworth.

November 5. Lieutenant-Colonel Tremlett (major of the Thirty-ninth) returned from draft-rendezvous, Boston Harbor, and took command of the Regiment, relieving Nelson.

December 1. The state colors, borne by the Regiment since leaving home, were returned to the adjutant-general because they were too worn for use.

December 5. The Regiment moved to the rear line, where the Fifth Corps was being massed, and went into camp.

December 7. The Corps started on a march on Jerusalem Plank Road, the Thirty-ninth taking the advance of the Infantry. After marching south some eighteen miles, the Nottoway River was crossed at 5 P. M., and after four more miles they halted for the night near Sussex Court House. [7]

December 8. The next morning the march was resumed, when they passed through the place last mentioned and Coman's Well. Just before reaching Halifax Road, skirmishing was heard in advance, and the Regiment (designated Skirmish Regiment of the Brigade) was deployed and sent forward to hold the road. After establishing a line of pickets, the Regiment was left to guard the road, while the main column passed on. A little after dark the line was abandoned, and the Regiment followed the column, overtaking the Corps on the Weldon Railroad, near Jerrett's Station. The night was spent in destroying the road, burning railroad ties, etc.

December 9. A position was taken at the extreme left of the Corps, and the Regiment picketed the front of the Brigade, which was engaged in tearing up the road. At 6 P. M. it was withdrawn to Cross Roads above Bellfield, and one-half the Regiment was sent on picket and one-half to bivouac with the Brigade.

December 10. In the morning the troops began to return, and the Thirty-ninth was designated to cover the rear. In the afternoon the enemy made a dash on our rear and drove in our rear guard of cavalry. But they were checked by the shots of our Infantry. The enemy's cavalry followed closely all day, and captured many stragglers. Four of the Thirty-ninth Regiment were thus taken. The halt for the night was near Sussex Court House.

December 11. The march began at daylight. The Nottoway River was crossed at 4 P. M., and at 9 P. M. there was a halt for the night. On the next day, after a rapid march of twelve miles, the lines before Petersburg were reached, where we went into camp near Jerusalem Plank Road.

December 16. Here we were ordered to build huts for the winter, and after a week's work the Regiment moved into its new quarters. This camp was occupied about a month, during which time there were many alarms, and the Regiment turned out often for real or imaginary danger. Drilling and fatigue duty occupied most of the time, with a large detail for picket and guard duty. Once the Regiment was selected as a guard [8] for a wagon train, to go outside for bricks and boards; a deserted house five miles away furnished the material. A safe return was made.

Saturday, February 4, 1865. The Regiment had orders to move at a moment's notice. The next day orders came to report at Brigade headquarters, where we found the rest of the Brigade, and the Corps was joined near the Gurley House at 7 A. M. The march was continued towards Dinwiddie Court House. The halt for the night was within two miles of this place. The Regiment was detailed on picket till Monday morning, but the Brigade had already commenced its march towards Hatcher's Run. In the afternoon this was crossed and a line of battle was formed, the Thirty-ninth Regiment having the right of the first line. The enemy was found entrenched in strong works near Dabney's Mills. The first attempt to dislodge them was unsuccessful, but a second charge took the works, which, however, were abandoned for want of support; the troops recrossed the river and bivouacked for the night.

February 7. The line of battle was formed at 8 A. M. Our Regiment was deployed as skirmishers in front of the Brigade. They advanced and drove the enemy's skirmishers from three lines of rifle pits back into their works, which were near. At 5 o'clock in the afternoon our line was ordered to advance upon them, but as the assault was not successful, the line fell back to its original position, where it remained, exposed to a galling fire till late at night, when it was relieved. At Hatcher's Run February 6 and 7 E. B. Hadley was killed and Ambrose W. Coles lost an arm. J. W. Oliver was captured for the second time.

February 8. In bivouac all day.

February 9. The Regiment was on picket, and when relieved Friday (February 10) it returned to its old camp near Jerusalem Plank Road to get the baggage of the men. It then broke camp and took a new position at the extreme left of the new line, near Hatcher's Run. A camp was laid out, and the men began once more to build winter quarters.

Thursday, March 9. The Regiment passed in review before [9] Major-General John C. Robinson, our former division commander. Others that were under him participated in the review. [It may be mentioned here that General Robinson later on was lieutenant-governor of New York, and was present at a regimental reunion held at Somerville in 1887. He has since died.]

March 14. A review of the whole Fifth Corps took place before Major-General Warren.

March 16. There was another review before Secretary of War Stanton. On each of these occasions the Thirty-ninth Regiment acquitted itself well.

Saturday, March 25. The Regiment was ordered out about daylight to go to the right and assist in re-capturing Fort Stedman, which had just been taken by the enemy. The division marched back, and near the Gurley House was reviewed by President Lincoln. It was then ordered to the left as support to the Sixth Corps, but as no attack was made, it returned to camp about 9 P. M.

March 29. The spring campaign was entered upon. The Regiment broke camp about 3 A. M., and was marched to the left till Boynton Plank Road was reached. After some skirmishing the enemy was driven back from here and their lines taken. This position was held through the next day, the Regiment remaining in skirmish line during the whole time until the morning of the 31st, when a move was made still farther to the left to a point near Gravelly Run. Here the enemy was found in strong force. They attacked us, and our Regiment was sent out hurriedly as skirmishers to check them until the lines could be formed. This, however, proved impossible, and after suffering heavily, the men were obliged to fall back, leaving many dead and wounded on the field. (They were the designated skirmish regiment of the Brigade.) Lieutenant-Colonel Tremlett was wounded early in this engagement, and was conveyed to the rear with much difficulty. At the hospital it was found necessary to amputate his leg at once. The command of the Regiment now devolved on Captain J. J. Cooper (Taunton, Company F). In this action, March 31, Corporal James Moran, Company E, was mortally wounded, and Captain Willard C. Kinsley [10] (Woburn, Company K) received a wound which resulted in his death April 2. From second lieutenant he had been promoted to captain by being jumped over every first lieutenant in the line. By his death the Regiment lost one of its most popular and beloved officers, as well as one of its best soldiers. His remains were taken to his old home in Somerville, and he was accorded a public funeral. The Grand Army Post of Somerville was named in honor of him. Corporal Elkanah Crosby helped to take him from the battlefield. As the enemy were close at hand, Captain Kinsley begged his men to leave him and take care of themselves, but this they would not do. After a rally had been made and reinforcements arrived, another advance was made on the enemy's breastworks. The ground that had been lost in the morning was regained. This position was held through the night.

April 1. The Corps left this part of the line, moved to the left, and united with the Cavalry under Major-General Sheridan. At noon lines were formed near the Five Forks for an assault. The Cavalry was on either flank, and our Corps in the centre; the Thirty-ninth Regiment was in the front line near the centre. About 4 P. M. the forward movement began; the enemy's skirmishers were found and driven back. A quick and spirited fight soon gave us an opening in the enemy's lines, and after this the victory was certain. Some five miles of the enemy's lines were taken, and the pursuit was followed up till long after dark.

The battle of Five Forks was the most successful one the Regiment was engaged in; almost the entire force of the enemy was captured, and their rout was complete. Our loss was comparatively slight. Lieutenant Melville C. Parkhurst was in this engagement, in command of Company B (Roxbury).

Sunday, April 2. Soon after daylight the march was taken up towards the north and west. About 2 P. M. the South Side Railroad was crossed, not without some cheering, and after a long march a halt was made for the night near Hickanock Creek. Here a small force of the enemy formed, and our Regiment was sent out as skirmishers; but after a few shots were exchanged, no enemy could be found, and the night was without further disturbance. [11]

April 3. The march was resumed early (for we were now following up Lee, who was on his way to Appomattox). This programme continued through the week, with occasional skirmishes which resulted in the capture of many prisoners. The march was rapid, and the troops were encouraged by evidences of hasty flight all along the route.

Sunday, April 9, found us at Appomattox Court House, in the immediate presence of the enemy. But soon after our arrival upon the field all hostilities suddenly ceased, and later in the day the entire army opposed to us surrendered. We remained here while the paroling of the enemy went on, until Saturday, April 15, when we broke camp and began the return march to Petersburg.

Sunday, April 16. We reached Farmville in the afternoon, where we received the sad news of President Lincoln's assassination. A gloom rested on the camp that night which will never be forgotten.

Friday, April 21. We reached Black's and White's Station in the forenoon. Camp was laid out and a halt made here. During the following days many of the officers and men of the Regiment, who had been in the hands of the enemy since August, returned from the paroled camp. Major F. R. Kinsley was of this number, and the command of the Regiment now devolved upon him.

May 1. We broke camp once more and began the march to Washington; passed through Petersburg May 3; through Richmond May 6; over the memorable Fredericksburg battleground May 9; crossed the Rappahannock for the tenth and last time; and halted Friday, May 12, at Arlington, near Fort Albany, and very near the first camp ground of the Regiment in Virginia.

May 23. The Regiment took part in the grand review of the army in Washington, returning to camp in the afternoon.

June 2. The mustering out of the Regiment began, and Sunday, June 4, we broke camp and reported in Washington for transportation to Massachusetts. The journey home was made quickly, with but few halts: one at the well-known Cooper [12] Shop, which never allowed a soldier to pass through Philadelphia hungry; one in New York, where lunch was promptly provided by the New England Relief Association.

Tuesday, June 6. The Regiment arrived at Readville, and was assigned quarters in barracks there. The arrival home was saddened by the death of Colonel Henry M. Tremlett at his home on Beacon Street, Boston. He was a good commander, and much beloved by all for his distinguished courage.

It only remains to speak of the men of Company E, who, unless otherwise designated, entered service August 12, 1862. Abbott, Jesse B., honorably discharged May 16, 1865; died in

Cambridge February 18, 1873. Allen, James M., taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died at Salisbury, N. C., November 23, 1864.

Arnold, William J., wounded May 8, 1864; honorably discharged May 20, 1865; died at Ashland in 1905.

Baker, William A., went out as corporal; reduced to private, June, 1863; discharged for disability October 26, 1863; died in Cambridge March 25, 1897.

Bean, George W., went out as corporal; taken prisoner October 11, 1863; in prison seventeen months; discharged from service May 12, 1865; on the Somerville police force; retired; lives in Cambridge.

Belding, Charles H., transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, March 31, 1864; lives at 1 Oak Terrace, Malden.

Benz, August, died on the transport Utica, going down James River, October 5, 1864.

Brotchie, James, one of the very few to remain with the company during its whole period of service; mustered out June 2, 1865; in the employ of Somerville many years; lives in Cambridge.

Bodge, George A., enlisted as private; promoted to corporal; to sergeant; to first sergeant; commissioned second lieutenant April 3, 1865; never ill, never on a furlough; mustered out June 2, 1865; on the Somerville police force; died November 4, 1899. [13]

Bolton, John T., on detached service, Ordnance department; mustered out June 2, 1865; died in Mexico April 23, 1885. Boynton, William F., came as a recruit March 29, 1864; wounded August 18, 1864; mustered out January 12, 1865; died in Somerville in August, 1892.

Bucknam, Davis P., enlisted as corporal; discharged for disability June 18, 1863; lives at 12 Vine Street, Somerville.

Byrnes, John, transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps February 15, 1864; lives at 202 Summer Street, Somerville.

Canfield, John B., taken prisoner August 19, 1864; in prison until March, 1865; discharged May 1, 1865; died November 12, 1897.

Carr, William M., enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out with Company E as corporal;. discharged for disability December 9, 1862; died in Chelsea fifteen years ago.

Clark, Gustavus A., promoted to corporal; transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps; discharged June 1, 1865; lives at 164 Winslow Avenue, Somerville.

Cole, Chandler G., wounded August 18, 1864; returned February 23, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; not living.

Coles, Ambrose W., wounded February 7, 1865 (lost an arm); discharged May 16, 1865; died in Somerville in December, 1882.

Collett, Herbert, discharged February 8, 1863; died in Philadelphia since 1899.

Conner, Thomas, discharged March 12, 1863; died some fifteen years ago.

Crosby, Elkanah, enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out with Company E as corporal; promoted to sergeant; one of the few to remain with the company during its whole period of service; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives at 110 Hudson Street, Somerville.

Crowley, Daniel, musician (drummer); was with the company during its whole term of service; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives in Peru, Ill. [14]

Cutter, George, deserted June 3, 1863; afterwards seen in a New York Cavalry Regiment.

Davis, Amos F., detached for special service; came back to the Company May 26, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives in Dorchester.

Dodge, Albert H., deserted December, 1864; has died since the War; came from Nova Scotia.

Dodge, William H., brother of Albert H., discharged for disability May 18, 1865; died twelve years ago.

Dusseault, John H., went out as first sergeant; promoted to second lieutenant October 20, 1863; promoted to first lieutenant September 8, 1864; wounded three times, slightly at Spottsylvania; severely wounded August 18, 1864, at Weldon Railroad; discharged December 10, 1864; sealer of weights and measures; lives at 42 Sargent Avenue, Somerville.

Dyer, Jonathan C., transferred to the Navy April 22, 1864; died in Somerville about fifteen years ago.

Edlefson, Charles E., injured December, 1862; discharged February 26, 1863; died in Somerville December 24, 1891.

Emerson, Samuel, went out as teamster; discharged for disability, or perhaps transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps; mustered out June, 1865; on the Boston police force; died, no date.

Fairchild, Willard C., transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps some time in 1863; died in the vicinity of Worcester more than ten years ago.

Farrar, George A., wounded June 18, 1864; discharged later; died in Somerville June 27, 1901.

Fay, Walter, transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps August 1, 1863; died in Somerville September 25, 1904.

Felker, Samuel O., promoted to corporal; killed in battle May 10, 1864.

Fellows, Charles C., detached for special service, Ambulance Corps, from August 5, 1863, to May 2, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865. [15]

Fitcham, Charles E., went out as corporal; transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps in 1863; discharged September 23, 1864; died several years ago.

Fuller, John E., wounded June 18, 1864; discharged February 12, 1865; on the Somerville police force; retired; lives at 79 Glenwood Road.

Gilcrease, Elijah H., discharged April 22, 1863; died in Somerville February 18, 1898.

Giles, Joseph J., enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out as first lieutenant with Company E, discharged at Washington August 23, 1864; lives in Somerville.

Glines, Frederick A., promoted to corporal; taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in prison, Salisbury, N. C., January 6, 1865.

Gorham, David, promoted to corporal; wounded May 12, 1864; taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in prison, Salisbury, N. C., December 10, 1864.

Graham, William L., came home on five-days' furlough, and deserted June, 1863; from Nova Scotia.

Grant, Edward L., on detached service from September 13, 1863, to May 20, 1865, Ordnance Department; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives at 177 Washington Street, Somerville.

Gray, Dexter, wounded August 18, 1864; discharged May 17, 1865; died some twenty years ago.

Hadley, Eugene B., killed in battle February 6, 1865.

Hale, Edward M., went out as second sergeant; on detached service, April 6, 1864; mustered out June 2, 1865; served in the Adjutant-General's Office, War Department, Washington, long after the War; last living in Passaic, N. J.

Hafford, John, discharged June 20, 1863; died November 15, 1905.

Hanley, John H., discharged August 12, 1863; died more than twenty years ago in Somerville.

Herbon, William M., killed in battle August 18, 1864.

Harlow, George R., promoted to corporal May 1, 1864; wounded May 10, 1864; wounded August 18, 1864 (lost an arm); discharged March 17, 1865; lives at Chattanooga, [16]

Hatch, George H., taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in Salisbury prison February 1, 1865.

Hills, George A., discharged January 29, 1863; lives in Springfield, Mass.

Hagan, Patrick, discharged April 21, 1863; claimed to have served in the Crimean War; died many years ago.

Horgan, Patrick, taken prisoner August 19, 1864; returned May 20, 1865; returned with the Company and mustered out June 2, 1865; died twenty years ago.

Horton, John E., promoted to corporal July 1, 1864; wounded May 8, 1864; taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in Salisbury prison January 6, 1865.

Howe, Henry E., taken prisoner October 11, 1863; died at Andersonville, Ga., November 22, 1863. Hyde, Richard J., enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out as sergeant with Company E; taken prisoner October 11, 1863; died at Andersonville August 13, 1864.

Hyde, Thomas L., wounded May 8, 1864; discharged March 9, 1865; last heard from in New York City in the 90's.

Jones, Charles G., taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in Salisbury prison November 23, 1864.

Kelly, Thomas, discharged October 27, 1863; lives in Medford.

Kendrick, David, taken prisoner August 19, 1864; died in hospital at Annapolis, after an exchange, March 15, 1865.

Kennedy, John, promoted to sergeant; taken prisoner August 19, 1864; escaped; re-captured; finally returned; discharged May 15, 1865; died at Soldiers' Home, Chelsea, July 24, 1898.

Kenneston, Elliot, discharged April 21, 1863; died soon after the War.

Kinsley, Frederick R., second lieutenant Company I, Fifth Regiment, from May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out as captain of Company E; promoted to major July 13, 1864; promoted to colonel June 7, 1865; taken prisoner August 19, 1864; paroled March, 1865; lives at Dorchester, N. H. (Cheever P. O.). [17]

Kinsley, Willard C., enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, from May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out as second lieutenant of Company E; promoted to first lieutenant November 13, 1862; to captain March 30, 1864; wounded June 17, 1864; mortally wounded March 31; died April 2, 1865.

Locke, John F., taken prisoner (Salisbury, N. C.) August 19, 1864; returned May, 1865; discharged May 26, 1865; assistant in Public Library, Boston.

Lovett, Washington, taken prisoner October 11, 1863; died at Andersonville, Ga., July 12, 1864.

McCarthy, John, transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps September 12, 1863; died in Somerville November 2, 1907.

McGurdy, Alexander, served all through the War and came home with the Company; mustered out June 2, 1865; died some twelve or fifteen years ago.

McJunkin, Samuel, musician (bugler); served throughout the War and came home with the Company; mustered out June 2, 1865; died in Somerville May 9; 1887.

McNall, George, served as captain's cook most of the time; served throughout the War and came home with the Company; died in Somerville fifteen years ago.

McQuade, John, discharged January 23, 1863; died, no date.

Merritt, John S., detailed for special service, Construction Corps, December 6, 1863; mustered out June 2, 1865; lived a few years after the War; buried in Somerville Cemetery.

Mills, Edwin, went out as sergeant; promoted to sergeantmajor; to second lieutenant January 8, 1864; wounded May 10, 1864; discharged October 19, 1864; lives in Arlington.

Moran, James, promoted to corporal; wounded March 31, 1865; died at Washington, D. C., April, 1865.

Moulton, William, went out as servant to his cousin, who was adjutant of the Regiment; later enlisted in Company E; wounded May 23, 1864; died at Wakefield, 1905.

Myers, George, promoted to corporal; wounded May 23, 1864; died in Florida December 30, 1896. [18]

Newell, James H., musician (bugler), transferred early to the Veteran Reserve Corps, no date; died, no date.

Northey, George A., wounded and taken prisoner May 8, 1864; discharged March 6, 1865; died in Malden September 4, 1902.

Odiorne, William, wounded May 12, 1864; mustered out June 2, 1865; died some fifteen years ago.

Oliver, Francis J., taken prisoner October 11, 1863; died at Andersonville October 10, 1864.

Oliver, Judson W., enlisted in Company I, Fifth Regiment, from May 1 to July 31, 1861; went out as sergeant; taken prisoner October 11, 1863; released April 16, 1864; taken prisoner again February 6, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; on the Somerville police force; died April 7, 1908.

O'Neil, Henry, discharged May 15, 1863; died in Somerville, no date.

O'Sullivan, John, wounded June 18, 1864; mustered out June 2, 1865; died in Cambridge November 19, 1875.

Paine, Jeremiah T., died in hospital October 13, 1863.

Palmer, William D., promoted to corporal; to sergeant; killed in battle May 8, 1864.

Parkhurst, Melville C., went out as corporal; promoted to second lieutenant, Company B (Roxbury), September 8, 1864; to first lieutenant January 15, 1865; commissioned captain Company B June 7, 1865; Chief of Police, Somerville; resides at 56 Columbus Avenue, Somerville.

Perry, Gideon W., put on special service, September 8, 1864, to May 20, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives at West Fairlee, Vt.

Pinkham, Horace W., discharged December 9, 1862; dead (?).

Powers, Robert, killed in battle, May 10, 1864.

Roberts, John S., killed in battle August 19, 1864, while carrying the Brigade color.

Rollins, Sumner P., a half-brother of Kenneston; died November 22, 1862. [19]

Shaw, Henry, detailed to special service (hospital duty), October 3, 1862, to May, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives at 121 Cross Street, Somerville.

Shaw, John B., brother of the above; detailed to special service (hospital duty), August 5, 1863 to May, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; address, 121 Cross Street, Somerville.

Skehan, John, discharged February 9, 1863; probably not living.

Smith, Addison, discharged July 1, 1863; died in Somerville June 25, 1895.

Stevens, Leslie, had seen service earlier; went out as corporal; discharged January 25, 1863; lives at Canton, Mass.

Stickney, Hiram C., discharged April 22, 1863; probably not living.

Thomas, William H., on special duty as guard for quartermaster's stores, January 12, 1864, to May 27, 1865; mustered out June 2, 1865; lives at 12 Essex Street, Somerville.

Thompson, Frank W., taken prisoner August 19, 1864; perhaps he died January 10, 1865.

Van de Sande, George, went out as corporal; promoted to sergeant; discharged August 22, 1863, to accept commission as second lieutenant in a regiment of colored troops; died since the war.

Whitmore, Joseph W., taken prisoner October 11, 1863; died at Andersonville, Ga., July 1, 1864.

Willcutt, William C., deserted in Washington September 9, 1862; arrested and sent to Fort Independence; discharged for disability; probably not living.

The Company originally was composed of three officers and ninety-eight enlisted men. William Moulton and William F. Boynton, who joined later, came from Somerville, and are included in this record, and make the number accounted for 103. In June, 1864, Company E was reinforced by some recruits from Massachusetts, and about forty men from the Twelfth and Thirteenth Massachusetts Regiments whose time had expired transferred to our Company. In all, there were 146 men connected with Company E from 1864. [20]

Number killed8
Number died in Rebel prisons12
Number died in camp or hospitals4
Number wounded18
Number discharged for disability22
Number discharged for promotion1
Number transferred to Invalids' Corps10
Number transferred to United States Navy1
Number on detached service10
Number returned prisoners8
Number deserted4
Number musicians, not in battle2
Number officer's cook, not in battle1
Number present during the entire two years and ten months of enlistment5
Names on two lists (wounded and prisoners)3

As nearly as can be ascertained, there are twenty-seven of the original 103 now living, April, 1908.

1 After Spottsylvania, May 8 to 20, our brigade was commanded by General Crawford, as General Robinson, our division commander, lost a leg at that time and was obliged to leave the front. General Crawford was the physician at Fort Sumter when it was taken in 1861.

2 General Pierson is still living in Beverly. He was shot three times, on May 8, May 10, and August 18. After the first wound he was back in the fight in less than two hours; after the second, caused by a shell cutting across his breast, he was sent home. The third wound was a terrible one in the lower bowels and his life was long despaired of. He lay in the next bunk to mine in the field hospital.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Salisbury, N. C. (North Carolina, United States) (5)
Andersonville, Ga. (Georgia, United States) (3)
Spottsylvania (Virginia, United States) (2)
Roxbury, Mass. (Massachusetts, United States) (2)
Nottoway river (United States) (2)
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) (2)
Halifax (Canada) (2)
Chelsea (Massachusetts, United States) (2)
Worcester (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
White's Station (Tennessee, United States) (1)
West Fairlee (Vermont, United States) (1)
Washington (United States) (1)
The Common (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Taunton (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Springfield (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Peru (Peru) (1)
Passaic, N. J. (New Jersey, United States) (1)
Mexico (Mexico, Mexico) (1)
Illinois (Illinois, United States) (1)
Gravelly Run (Virginia, United States) (1)
Fredericksburg, Va. (Virginia, United States) (1)
Fortress Monroe (Virginia, United States) (1)
Fort Wadsworth (New York, United States) (1)
Fort Sedgwick (Colorado, United States) (1)
Fort Independence (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Fort Duchesne (Utah, United States) (1)
Fort Albany (Canada) (1)
Farmville (Virginia, United States) (1)
Dorchester, N. H. (New Hampshire, United States) (1)
Dorchester, Mass. (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Dinwiddie Court House (Virginia, United States) (1)
Canton, Mass. (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Cambridge (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Boston Harbor (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
Bellfield (South Carolina, United States) (1)
Ashland (Virginia, United States) (1)
Appomattox (Virginia, United States) (1)
Annapolis (Maryland, United States) (1)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Edward Thomas (4)
F. R. Kinsley (4)
James (4)
Henry M. Tremlett (3)
John C. Robinson (3)
Frederick R. Kinsley (3)
John H. Dusseault (3)
Crawford (3)
J. Willard (2)
Henry Shaw (2)
John S. Roberts (2)
C. L. Pierson (2)
Melville C. Parkhurst (2)
J. W. Oliver (2)
George S. Nelson (2)
William Moulton (2)
James Moran (2)
Martha Lincoln (2)
Willard C. Kinsley (2)
Elliot Kenneston (2)
John Kennedy (2)
David Kendrick (2)
Charles G. Jones (2)
Richard J. Hyde (2)
John E. Horton (2)
Patrick Horgan (2)
William M. Herbon (2)
George H. Hatch (2)
George R. Harlow (2)
Dexter Gray (2)
David Gorham (2)
Fred A. Glines (2)
Felch (2)
Mary Dodge (2)
Amos F. Davis (2)
Elkanah Crosby (2)
J. J. Cooper (2)
Ambrose W. Coles (2)
Chandler G. Cole (2)
John B. Canfield (2)
William F. Boynton (2)
Ayer (2)
James M. Allen (2)
Albert (2)
William C. Willcutt (1)
Joseph W. Whitmore (1)
Isaac Warren (1)
Frank W. Thompson (1)
C. Thompson (1)
Sumner (1)
Ira Stickney (1)
Rachel Y. Stevens (1)
Edwin M. Stanton (1)
Somerville (1)
Addison Smith (1)
John Skehan (1)
Sheridan (1)
Sande (1)
Sumner P. Rollins (1)
Horace W. Pinkham (1)
Gideon W. Perry (1)
William D. Palmer (1)
Jeremiah T. Paine (1)
Judson W. Oliver (1)
William Odiorne (1)
John O'Sullivan (1)
Henry O'Neil (1)
George A. Northey (1)
James H. Newell (1)
George Myers (1)
Edwin Mills (1)
John S. Merritt (1)
Melville (1)
John McQuade (1)
George McNall (1)
Samuel McJunkin (1)
Alexander McGurdy (1)
John McCarthy (1)
Washington Lovett (1)
Lucy Brooks Locke (1)
John F. Locke (1)
Leslie (1)
Thomas J. Lee (1)
Thomas Kelly (1)
Judson (1)
Phineas Howe (1)
— Hill (1)
Ezra Herbert (1)
Hanley (1)
Edward M. Hale (1)
Patrick Hagan (1)
John Hafford (1)
Eugene B. Hadley (1)
E. B. Hadley (1)
Griffin (1)
Caroline M. Grant (1)
William L. Graham (1)
Joseph J. Giles (1)
Elijah H. Gilcrease (1)
John E. Fuller (1)
Charles E. Fitcham (1)
Samuel O. Felker (1)
Walter Fay (1)
Luther Farrar (1)
Willard C. Fairchild (1)
Samuel Emerson (1)
Charles D. Elliot (1)
Charles E. Edlefson (1)
Ezekiel D. Dyer (1)
Duchesne (1)
Dexter (1)
Daniel (1)
Daniel Crowley (1)
R. Coulter (1)
Thomas Conner (1)
Herbert Collett (1)
Jonathan C. Clark (1)
Ezekiel Cheever (1)
Chandler (1)
William M. Carr (1)
James Byrnes (1)
Burnside (1)
Davis P. Bucknam (1)
James Brotchie (1)
Bradshaw (1)
John T. Bolton (1)
George A. Bodge (1)
Black (1)
August Benz (1)
Charles H. Belding (1)
George W. Bean (1)
William A. Baker (1)
L. Frank Arnold (1)
Alexander (1)
Addison (1)
Jesse B. Abbott (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
June 2nd, 1865 AD (21)
August 19th, 1864 AD (14)
May 1st (8)
October 11th, 1863 AD (7)
July 31st, 1861 AD (7)
August 18th, 1864 AD (6)
May 8th, 1864 AD (5)
May 20th, 1865 AD (4)
May 10th, 1864 AD (4)
May, 1865 AD (3)
March, 1865 AD (3)
September 8th, 1864 AD (3)
June 18th, 1864 AD (3)
September 15th (3)
August 21st (3)
August 18th (3)
1905 AD (2)
1887 AD (2)
June 7th, 1865 AD (2)
May 26th, 1865 AD (2)
May 16th, 1865 AD (2)
April, 1865 AD (2)
February 6th, 1865 AD (2)
January 6th, 1865 AD (2)
December 10th, 1864 AD (2)
November 23rd, 1864 AD (2)
July 1st, 1864 AD (2)
May 23rd, 1864 AD (2)
May 12th, 1864 AD (2)
1864 AD (2)
August 5th, 1863 AD (2)
June, 1863 AD (2)
April 22nd, 1863 AD (2)
April 21st, 1863 AD (2)
1863 AD (2)
December 9th, 1862 AD (2)
August 19th (2)
May 9th (2)
May 8th (2)
April 2nd (2)
March 31st (2)
February 7th (2)
April 7th, 1908 AD (1)
April, 1908 AD (1)
November 2nd, 1907 AD (1)
November 15th, 1905 AD (1)
September 25th, 1904 AD (1)
September 4th, 1902 AD (1)
June 27th, 1901 AD (1)
November 4th, 1899 AD (1)
1899 AD (1)
July 24th, 1898 AD (1)
February 18th, 1898 AD (1)
November 12th, 1897 AD (1)
March 25th, 1897 AD (1)
December 30th, 1896 AD (1)
June 25th, 1895 AD (1)
August, 1892 AD (1)
December 24th, 1891 AD (1)
April 23rd, 1885 AD (1)
December, 1882 AD (1)
November 19th, 1875 AD (1)
February 18th, 1873 AD (1)
June 1st, 1865 AD (1)
June, 1865 AD (1)
May 27th, 1865 AD (1)
May 18th, 1865 AD (1)
May 17th, 1865 AD (1)
May 15th, 1865 AD (1)
May 12th, 1865 AD (1)
May 2nd, 1865 AD (1)
May 1st, 1865 AD (1)
April 3rd, 1865 AD (1)
April 2nd, 1865 AD (1)
March 31st, 1865 AD (1)
March 17th, 1865 AD (1)
March 15th, 1865 AD (1)
March 9th, 1865 AD (1)
March 6th, 1865 AD (1)
February 23rd, 1865 AD (1)
February 12th, 1865 AD (1)
February 7th, 1865 AD (1)
February 4th, 1865 AD (1)
February 1st, 1865 AD (1)
January 15th, 1865 AD (1)
January 12th, 1865 AD (1)
January 10th, 1865 AD (1)
December, 1864 AD (1)
October 19th, 1864 AD (1)
October 10th, 1864 AD (1)
October 5th, 1864 AD (1)
September 23rd, 1864 AD (1)
August 23rd, 1864 AD (1)
August 13th, 1864 AD (1)
July 13th, 1864 AD (1)
July 12th, 1864 AD (1)
June 17th, 1864 AD (1)
June, 1864 AD (1)
May 1st, 1864 AD (1)
April 22nd, 1864 AD (1)
April 16th, 1864 AD (1)
April 6th, 1864 AD (1)
March 31st, 1864 AD (1)
March 30th, 1864 AD (1)
March 29th, 1864 AD (1)
February 15th, 1864 AD (1)
January 12th, 1864 AD (1)
January 8th, 1864 AD (1)
December 6th, 1863 AD (1)
November 22nd, 1863 AD (1)
October 27th, 1863 AD (1)
October 26th, 1863 AD (1)
October 20th, 1863 AD (1)
October 13th, 1863 AD (1)
September 13th, 1863 AD (1)
September 12th, 1863 AD (1)
August 22nd, 1863 AD (1)
August 12th, 1863 AD (1)
August 1st, 1863 AD (1)
July 1st, 1863 AD (1)
June 20th, 1863 AD (1)
June 18th, 1863 AD (1)
June 3rd, 1863 AD (1)
May 15th, 1863 AD (1)
March 12th, 1863 AD (1)
February 26th, 1863 AD (1)
February 9th, 1863 AD (1)
February 8th, 1863 AD (1)
January 29th, 1863 AD (1)
January 25th, 1863 AD (1)
January 23rd, 1863 AD (1)
December, 1862 AD (1)
November 22nd, 1862 AD (1)
November 13th, 1862 AD (1)
October 3rd, 1862 AD (1)
September 9th, 1862 AD (1)
August 12th, 1862 AD (1)
19th, 1862 AD (1)
1862 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
December 16th (1)
December 11th (1)
December 10th (1)
December 9th (1)
December 8th (1)
December 7th (1)
December 5th (1)
December 1st (1)
November 5th (1)
October 31st (1)
October 26th (1)
October 16th (1)
September 30th (1)
September 29th (1)
September 16th (1)
September 10th (1)
September 6th (1)
September 5th (1)
September 4th (1)
September 3rd (1)
August 26th (1)
August 25th (1)
August 24th (1)
August 23rd (1)
August 22nd (1)
August 20th (1)
August 17th (1)
August 16th (1)
August 15th (1)
August 14th (1)
August 13th (1)
August 12th (1)
August 11th (1)
August 10th (1)
August 9th (1)
August 8th (1)
August 7th (1)
August 6th (1)
August 5th (1)
August 4th (1)
August 3rd (1)
August 2nd (1)
August 1st (1)
July 31st (1)
June 6th (1)
June 4th (1)
June 2nd (1)
May 23rd (1)
May 12th (1)
May 6th (1)
May 4th (1)
May 3rd (1)
April 21st (1)
April 16th (1)
April 15th (1)
April 9th (1)
April 3rd (1)
April 1st (1)
March 29th (1)
March 25th (1)
March 16th (1)
March 14th (1)
March 9th (1)
February 10th (1)
February 9th (1)
February 8th (1)
February 6th (1)
31st (1)
7th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: