Report of the Committee on Necrology of the Somerville Historical Society.
Ladies and Gentlemen: Six members of the Society have died during the year 1907, as follows:—
Lucy M. (Clark
, died June 16, 1907.
Daniel E. Chase
, died July 13, 1907.
Charles W. Sawyer
, died June 21, 1907.
L. Frank Arnold
, died July 25, 1907.
Isaac B. Kendall
, died November 26, 1907.
Nathan L. Pennock
, died December 10, 1907.
Lucy M. Knapp
was born December 2, 1832, near where the Stone Building
now stands in Union Square. Her father, Joseph Clark
, one of the numerous brick makers in the town at that time, was from Windham, N. H.
, and her mother, Lucy Brooks Locke
, was a Cambridge woman.
As there was no high school in Somerville
in her school days, she attended Woburn Academy, then a well-known institution, and often spoke with pleasure of the years spent there and the friends and acquaintances thus formed.
She was always interested in the First Universalist Church of Somerville
, and at one time was a teacher in the Sunday School.
She was married August 9, 1859, to Oren S. Knapp
, then a teacher in the Prospect Hill School, afterward a Boston lawyer.
He died in November, 1890. Two daughters survive their parents: Lizzie G. and Marion Knapp
; a brother of Mrs. Knapp
is also living, S. Adams Clark
was of a sweet and gentle disposition, beloved by all who knew her. Of a retiring nature, she gave most of her thought and energy to her home and family.
She was interested in the old families of Somerville
and in the city's history.
Although she seldom attended its meetings, she kept a warm place in her heart for the Somerville Historical Society.
She contributed a ‘Neighborhood Sketch’ on ‘Washington Street as It Was,’ which appeared in Historic Leaves
Daniel E. Chase
, born in Warner, N. H.
, in 1829, was a descendant of Aquila Chase
, and thus in family relations
with Salmon P. Chase
and other distinguished men. Mr. Chase
came to Boston
in 1850, and in 1857 moved to Somerville
He served as a member of the first Board of Aldermen, representing Ward
He was elected to the School Board in 1874, and served four years. His business was that of a distiller, at first with the Boston
firm of Ezra Trull
& Co., and later under his own name in Somerville
In 1850 Mr. Chase
married Miss Mary A. Hoxie
, of Castine, Me.
The first Mrs. Chase
lived to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of her wedding day, dying in 1900.
In May, 1904, Mr. Chase
married Miss Emmeline May Grimes
, who survives him. Five children are left: Charles Henry
, Washington Irving
, Dr. Daniel
E., Jr., Mrs. Mary Ella Arnold
, all of Somerville
, and Mrs. Albert C. Robinson
, of Reading.
was prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Odd Fellows
He was a member, also, of the Order of the Eastern Star
, of the Wonohaquaham tribe of Red Men, and of the Somerville Veteran Firemen
's Association, as well as of the Somerville Historical Society.
As a man, Mr. Chase
represented the ‘rugged New Hampshire
gentleman of the old school,’ manly, strong, and honest.
He left many friends.
Charles W. Sawyer
was born in Charlestown
February 28, 1833.
His grandmother's uncle, Asa Pollard
, was the first man killed at Bunker Hill
was educated at the old Training Field Grammar School, graduating at fourteen.
He took a year in a private school, and then a course in a Boston commercial college.
, he was employed first in his father's restaurant in City Square, Charlestown
, and at the age of twenty was appointed clerk in the Charlestown
In 1869, having served fifteen years as assistant postmaster, he left the government service to enter the real estate
He did an immense amount of work in adjusting claims in behalf of the Boston Elevated
and the Boston & Maine Railroad, as well as for the city of Boston
and many syndicates and individuals.
In fact, he became an expert in real estate
In 1873 he moved to Somerville
, where he resided until his
death, taking active and aggressive part in public affairs.
In 1875 he was elected to the Common Council, and the next year to the Board of Aldermen.
Many city improvements were made, some of them in the face of opposition.
The most important was the laying out of Broadway Park
In 1877, the first year that the Board of Health became a separate department, Mr. Sawyer
was its first chairman, and served two years. The Board discovered and abated innumerable city nuisances.
Next Mr. Sawyer
was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Public Library
, on which he served five years, and was especially active in securing for the Library its fine collection of German works.
read German with pleasure, having traveled in Germany
and other parts of Europe
He was a well-known Mason
, a member of the Henry Price Lodge
, one of the founders of Soley Lodge, and a Royal Arch Mason
and Knight Templar.
He aided in forming the Coeur de Lion Commandery
, and for two years served as commander.
was for nearly half a century president of the 999th Artillery Association of Charlestown.
He was also an Odd Fellow, a member of the Manomet Club
, and president for two years of the Training Field School Association in Charlestown
He married Julia A. Heal
, of Belmont, Me.
, who died in 1894. One son survives his parents, Dr. Edward K. Sawyer
, born in 1868.
L. Frank Arnold
was born in Somerville
September 4, 1845, son of Leonard
He lived in Somerville
all his life.
He attended the old Prospect Hill School, was employed for many years as a bookkeeper, and afterward for six years kept a boarding and baiting stable for horses in Boston
was a member of John Abbot Lodge, A. F. and A. M., since 1867, and was also a member of Highland Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star
He was the only resident of Somerville
that enjoyed membership in the Society of Cincinnati—an order formed by General Washington
and his officers in 1783.
He held this membership for eleven years through his great-grandfather, Captain Samuel Frost
, of Framingham
, one of George Washington
's officers, and succeeded his father in it,
who at the time of his own death had belonged to the society for fifty-five years. Mr. Arnold
married Lilla E. Poole
, of Worcester
, October 25, 1877, who survives him, without children.
A friend says of Mr. Arnold
: ‘He was devoted to his home and thoughtful and kind to every one.
He was suddenly stricken helpless while in the vigor of full health, but was cheerful and patient through all his long illness.
He was loved and respected by all who knew him.’
Nathan Loveman Pennock
was born in Strafford, Vt.
, June 10, 1814, and was the son of Peter and Phebe (Fellows) Pennock
, of that town.
He left school to learn the harness business, and followed this business during the greater part of his long life.
As an avocation, he was an itinerant singing master.
From 1838 to 1863 he resided in Randolph, Vt.
In the latter year he came to Lexington
, and in 1864 to Somerville
, where he remained till his death.
For twelve years Mr. Pennock
held a responsible position in connection with the McLean Asylum
On the completion of the Davis Schoolhouse
, about twenty-five years ago, he was made janitor of the school, and acceptably performed his duties, beloved by the children, until within two days of his death.
He married in 1844 Ellen Moulton
, niece and adopted daughter of Hon. Dudley Chase
. Two of the four children of this marriage are now living: Salmon Cotton Pennock
, of Somerville
, and Ellen M. Pennock
, of Jacksonville, Fla. Mr. Pennock
's second wife was Mrs. Mary A. Cheney
, of Randolph
, whom he married in 1877.
She, with their two children, Anna Louisa
and Nathan Lewis
, survives her husband.
Elizabeth, the late wife of J. L. Tyler
, former teacher and principal of the Brastow School, was a daughter by the first marriage.
was a man of remarkable physical and mental :alertness, considering his advanced age. He was fond of reading, especially poetry and travel.
His cordial greeting on the street will be recalled by many, for it was his custom to speak to all he met. Mr. Pennock
was interested in this Society, and prepared a paper on his Reminiscences which was delivered at one of the regular meetings.
[To be continued.]