previous next

The work of Five years

The Somerville Historical Society feels gratified both with the amount and quality of the work done during the past five years. It takes pleasure in herewith enumerating the papers read and the talks given during the several years from 1899-1903. Many of these papers will prove of great historical value, and will furnish one of the principal sources from which the future local historian will draw his material. The talks, too, that have been given from time to time have been exceedingly interesting and valuable, and the neighborhood sketches, as bits of local history, will certainly furnish data of permanent worth.

1899: February 16, ‘The Stinted Common’ (a term applied to a large area of Somerville in the early days), Charles D. Elliot; March 2, ‘Early History of the Tufts House,’ L. Roger Wentworth; ‘Reminiscences of Domestic Life in the Tufts House,’ Mrs. Helen E. Heald, Mrs. E. A. Maynard; March 16, ‘Genealogical Records,’ Frederick W. Parker; ‘A Paper on Genealogy,’ Charles Carroll Dawson, read by Howard Dawson; March 30, ‘An Evening with Sam Walter Foss’; April 13, ‘An Address Commemorative of the Battle of Lexington,’ Rev. C. A. Staples, Lexington; April 27, ‘Schools of Somerville in the Olden Time,’ Mary A. Haley; ‘The Teaching of Local History in Our Schools,’ John S. Emerson.

1899-1900: November 15, ‘The Old Middlesex Canal,’ L. L. Dame, Medford; December 6, ‘John Mallett,’ Florence E. Carr; December 20, ‘History of Tufts College,’ President E. H. Capen; ‘The Possibilities of the Public Library,’ Sam Walter Foss; January 3, ‘Somerville as I Have Known It,’ Mrs. Amelia Wood; January 17, ‘Four Satirists of the Revolution,’ Howrard Dawson; ‘History of Journalism in Somerville,’ Barbara Galpin; January 31, ‘Battlefields of the Revolution,’ Elbridge [6] S. Brooks; February 14, ‘Reminiscences of Army Life in 1861-1864’ Elias H. Marston; ‘Work of the Engineer Corps in the Army of the Potomac’ Darwin C. Pavey; February 28, ‘Somerville Soldiers in the RebellionColonel Edwin C. Bennett; ‘Some Phases of Woman's National Work’ Mary E. Elliot; March 14, ‘Ballads of the Revolution,’ Frank M. Hawes; readings, Emma Prichard Hadley; March 28, ‘Governor Winthrop and His Mansion on the Mistick,’ Charles D. Elliot; April 11, banquet; April 25, ‘Colonial Architecture’ George F. Loring; May 8, ‘Curiosities of Colonial Law,’ Thomas F. O'Malley; May 22, ‘The Tufts Family’ Dr. Edward C. Booth.

1900-1901: December 5, reading from and discussion of ‘Neighborhood Sketches,’ furnished the Society by old residents; December 19, ‘History of Ten Hills Farm, with Anecdotes and Reminiscences,’ Mrs. Alida G. Sellers (born Jaques); January 2, ‘With Grant at the Battle of the Wilderness,’ Colonel Elijah Walker; January 16, ‘An Incident of Anti-Slavery Times in Syracuse, N. Y.,’ by Charles Carroll Dawson, of Toledo, O., (corresponding member of Somerville Historical Society), read by Howard Dawson; January 30, ‘The Old Royal House and Farm,’ J. H. Hooper, President Medford Historical Society; February 4, stated meeting of the Society; February 13, ‘William Pierce, Captain of Ships “Ann” “Mayflower” and “Lion” ’ George E. Littlefield; February 27, ‘Peter Faneuil and His Gift,’ Abram English Brown, President Bedford Historical Society; March 13, ‘The Old Medford Turnpike, with Glimpses of the Brickmakers,’ John F. Ayer; March 27, ‘The Ursuline Convent, Mt. Benedict,’ President Charles D. Elliot.

1901-1902: November 11, ‘Five Years in New Mexico,’ Colonel E. C. Bennett; November 25, ‘Elizur Wright—the Fells,’ Miss Ellen M. Wright, Medford; December 2, business meeting; December 9, ‘Historic Trees in and About Boston,’ Miss Sara A. Stone; December 23, ‘With the Army of the Potomac, 1864,’ George B. Clark; January 13, ‘What Historic Comsiderations Lead to,’ Mrs. M. D. Frazar; January 27, ‘Minor [7] Causes of the Revolution,’ Walter A. Ladd; February 10, ‘Somerville Fire Department and Somerville Fires,’ J. R. Hopkins; February 24, ‘Old-Time School Books,’ Frank M. Hawes; March 10, ‘Department of the Gulf,’ Levi L. Hawes; March 24, ‘Recollections of Somerville,’ John R. Poor, Boston.

1902-1903: November 13, ‘Middlesex Canal,’ Herbert P. Yeaton, Chillicothe, O., (read by Miss Sara A. Stone); November 20, ‘Separation of Church and State in Massachusetts,’ Charles W. Ludden, Medford; December 18, ‘Early Schools of Somerville,’ Frank M. Hawes; January 8, ‘Neighborhood Sketch,’ Quincy A. Vinal; ‘Reminiscences,’ Timothy Tufts; January 29, ‘Literary Men and Women of Somerville,’ Professor D. L. Maulsby; February 19, ‘Reminiscences of Old Charlestown,’ Hon. S. Z. Bowman; March 12, ‘Four Score and Eight-Old Time Memories,’ Nathan L. Pennock. [8]

Temple House—Ten Hills.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: