Sarah Bradlee Fulton Chapter, D. A. R.
this local chapter of the patriotic order known as the Daughters of the American Revolution
was formally organized on Dec. 17, 1896.
Its formation was the outcome of a correspondence between Madame Anna Von Rydingsvard
, then State Regent of Massachusetts
, [p. 19]
and Mrs. Ellen M. Gill
, of our city.
At the suggestion of the latter, the matter was put into the hands of Mrs. Emma W. Goodwin
, at that time a member of Old Concord Chapter, and under her guidance, and the incentive of her own interest in the work, the preliminary meetings were called, and the necessary steps taken to effect organization.
The following names appear in the charter: Mrs. Mary S. Goodale
, Mrs. Mary B. Loomis
, Miss Helen T. Wild
, Miss Adeline B. Gill
, Mrs. Emma W. Goodwin
, Miss Eliza M. Gill
, Mrs. S. Olive Loring
, Miss M. Gertrude Bragdon
, Miss Bertha G. Paige
, Miss Jessie M. Dinsmore
, Mrs. Hannah E. Ayers
, Mrs. Sarah F. E. Bruce
, Miss Sarah L. Clark
, Miss Mabel W. Goodwin
, Miss Clara W. Goodwin
The objects of the Order are briefly—
To perpetuate the memory and the spirit of the men and women who achieved American Independence.
To promote, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge.
To cherish, maintain, and extend the institutions of American freedom, to foster true patriotism and love of country, and to aid in securing for mankind all the blessings of liberty.
The chapter was named in honor of Sarah Bradlee Fulton
, one of the most heroic women of the Revolution, and a resident of Medford
from 1772 to the time of her death in 1835.
The chapter started under auspicious circumstances, and holds a warm place in the consideration of our citizens.
Its relation to the Medford
Historical Society is most happy, the work of the two organizations being along similar lines.
Our meetings are held in the Historical Rooms
The special work of the past year has been the locating, and decorating on Memorial Day, the graves of Revolutionary soldiers.
Our present membership is thirty-seven, with a waiting list of eleven. [p. 20]
The chapter is officered, for the year 1898, as follows:
Regent.—Mrs. M. Susie Goodale.
Vice-Regent.—Mrs. Mary B. Loomis.
Registrar.—Mrs. Emma W. Goodwin.
Secretary.—Miss Helen T. Wild.
Historian.—Miss Eliza M. Gill.
Treasurer.—Mss Sarah L. Clark.
Board of Managers
Mrs. Asaphine De F. Manning.
Mrs. Hannah E. Ayers.
Miss Adeline B. Gill.