previous next


Parson Osgood's account of the dark day, May 19, 1780.

‘A very unusual darkness began about 10, & gradually increased till near one, and then as gradually Went off. I could Not read in ye Bible at ye window It was so dark. It rained in ye Morning, & continued cloudy throu ye day. In ye time of ye darkness ye heavens bore a brassy look.’

[p. 109]

Extract from the ‘Boston Mercury,’ Aug. 7, 1798.

The Subscriber hereby notifies the Retailers of Wines & Foreign Distilled Spirits, and the Keepers of Riding Carriages, that attendance will be given at the Office of Inspection in Medford every day in the month of September next (Sundays Excepted) from 9 to 12 o'clock A. M. and 2 to 5 P. M.

Retailers and others concerned are cautioned against penalties that may be avoided.

Samuel Swan, Collector of Revenue.

From the ‘Christian Register,’ June 21, 1822.

‘died.—On the Coast of Africa, in April last, Darius W. and J. W. Blanchard, master and supercargo of brig. Pedlar, of this port, (Boston) and sons of the late Mr. Hezekiah Blanchard, of Medford.’

From manuscripts in possession of Swan family.

Garb of Mr. Samuel Swan of Charlestown who died August 6, 1808, aged 86. Father of Major Samuel Swan and grandfather of Dr. Daniel Swan.

A three corner fine Beaver black hat. A large full curled wig. A claret colored fine broad cloth coat with wide flaps and large pockets. A long waistcoat flared off at bottom, with large pockets and buttoned up high in front. Small clothes of black cloth with knee band and knee buckles, black woolen stockings. Shoes high at the instep, with wide straps and large silver buckles. A plain smooth cane with a gold head and metal end. Gloves.

This dress he wore on Sundays to church and when he went to Boston to get his quarterly dividends on his United States stock.

[p. 110]

Meetings of the Medford Historical Society, sixth year, 1901-1902.

October 21.—‘Mrs. Jane Turell: Her Life and Work.’ Mrs. C. H. Morss, and Social Meeting.

November 18.—‘The March of the Army under Arnold, from Cambridge to Quebec.’ Mr. E. H. Hines, of Danvers.

December 16.—‘The Old Medford Turnpike, with Glimpses at the Brick Makers.’ Mr. John F. Ayer, President of Somerville Historical Society.

January 20.—‘Grace Church of Medford.’ Mr. Benj. P. Hollis.

February 17.—‘Physical Geography of Medford.’ Mr. W. S. Beekman.

March 17.—The Annual Meeting.

April 21.—‘The Lawyers of Medford.’ Mr. H. A. Weitz.

May 19.—‘The Lawrence Light Guard of Medford.’ Miss Helen T. Wild.

Committee on papers and addresses.

David H. Brown, Chairman.

John H. Hooper.

John Ward dean.

Miss Agnes W. Lincoln.

Dr. R. J. P. Goodwin.

William Cushing Wait.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
United States (United States) (1)
Quebec (Canada) (1)
Fort McIntosh (Pennsylvania, United States) (1)
Danvers (Massachusetts, United States) (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: