Sarah Jane Blanchard was the youngest daughter of Aaron and Elizabeth (Tufts) Blanchard, and was born in Medford, January 13, 1829. She died in Medford, December 18, 1909. On her mother's side she was a descendant of Peter Tufts, the first of the name in Medford, and on her father's side from George Blanchard, the first permanent settler in that part of Medford now called Wellington. Her father was for many years the sexton of the First Trinitarian Church of Medford, and in childhood and youth she attended that church, but in April, 1867, she united, on confession of faith, with the Mystic (Congregational) Church; thereafter she was devoted to its interests and benevolences. In her young womanhood she was forewoman in the cloak-making department of the store of Spaulding, Hay and Wales of Boston. Later she bought the millinery business formerly conducted by Mrs. Cameron in Usher's Building, High street, Medford. She continued this occupation until failing health necessitated giving up business activity. She was small and alert, and even after ill health and the burden of years had aged her, quick of motion and repartee. She was much interested in local history, and as regularly as her health permitted attended the meetings of the Medford Historical Society. Her reminiscences were very helpful to those of the younger generation who were called upon to write papers for the Register.
H. T. W.