Season of 1922-23.
No meetings were held in June and September as was expected, and the season opened as usual with that of October 16, 1922. Mr. J. Stevens Kadesch
, principal of Medford
High School, gave a very interesting address on ‘Humor as Expressed in Dickens
A number of gifts to our collection were received and displayed, among them an Indian tomahawk found at West Medford by the late Samuel Teele
The November meeting was held on the 20th, in the vestry of the Mystic Church
, which had recently celebrated its seventy-fifth anniversary, and the exercises were pertinent thereto.
Fred H. C. Woolley
was the speaker, his subject, ‘Ship Street
and Galen James
Our secretary notes it thus: ‘A vivid account of the street as he knew it in the ‘70s, illustrating his talk with his own drawings of its houses and ships at the shipyard.
On the blackboard he drew a vessel in construction, explaining as he proceeded; also pictures of Deacon James
' horse and carriage and of the deacon on foot, with high hat and shawl, carrying a cane.
A sketch of him in a sleigh, accompanied by the real sleigh-bells seemed like a real sleigh-ride.’
and Mr. and Mrs. Leavens
participated in the half-hour of reminiscence which followed.
The December meeting on the 18th was also held, for convenience, in the Mystic
Prof. Arthur I. Andrews
spoke on ‘The Balkans
and United States
' Influence There,’ illustrating with views taken by himself,—a most excellent address but not largely attended.
The annual meeting was held on January 15, 1923, in the slave quarters of the Royall house
It proved to be a very cold night and but few were present, some coming the long distance from Stoneham
The usual reports were made, but election of officers was postponed.
Weather conditions bad and fuel conditions worse.
A slight increase in attendance.
Election of officers and interests of society discussed.
The March meeting on evening of 19th was at the close of a rainy, dismal day. Fourteen (including three visitors from Somerville
society) braved the sudden cold to attend.
Miss Marion Hosmer
, West Medford
, read an interesting story of the old Woburn road and the Count Rumford house
at North Woburn, which is preserved and owned by the Rumford Historical Society.
Her mention of the ‘Jug Baptist church’ in Woburn
elicited inquiry, and Mr. Mann
, who is conversant with its history, told something of it and how it got the name.
A general discussion of April events to make note of occupied this evening.
The heavy rain of the day ceased at nightfall but for only two hours, and the closing meeting was but lightly attended, those present coming the longest distances.
Rev. Anson Titus
of West Somerville spoke on ‘Jim Franklin
, Ben's Big Brother,’ making special reference to Samuel Hall of Medford
, ‘spiritual heir’ of James Franklin
who married into the family and printed the Essex Gazette
in Revolutionary days.
' instructive paper appeared in register, Vol.
XXVI, p. 42.